PDA

View Full Version : Austraulia not very concerned about child abuse

Fern5827
September 9th 03, 09:45 PM
Many believe children fabricate stories against their parents.

'Alarming attitudes' to child abuse
By Mariza Fiamengo
09Sep03

AUSTRALIANS rank child abuse as less of a concern than council rates, a
national survey has found.

The "shameful" revelation was part of results from a survey into the attitudes
of 500 adults towards child abuse, commissioned and released today by the
Australian Childhood Foundation.
The survey found that child abuse was rated 13th on a list of community issues,
significantly lower than issues at the top of the list including crime, health,
the environment and drugs.

Australian Childhood Foundation chief executive Joe Tucci described the results
as "shameful" and reflected a community in denial over the true extent of child
abuse.

"It's very shameful and very alarming," Mr Tucci said in Melbourne today.

"We want to believe it happens elsewhere, it happens in other people's
families, in other neighbourhoods.

"The problem is that it's happening and it's happening a lot in Australia."

The foundation also announced a child abuse prevention campaign, which has
received $1 million funding from the Federal Government.

The television advertising campaign, called Every Child is Important, would be
shown nationally and encourage respectful relations between parents and their
children, Mr Tucci said.

Federal Children and Youth Affairs Minister Larry Anthony welcomed the campaign
and said prevention was the best way to combat child abuse.

"If a child is growing up in a family situation where there is abuse and
neglect there is a higher probability that person will end up in the juvenile
justice system and become an abuser themselves," Mr Anthony said in Melbourne
today.

The Australian Childhood Foundation survey also revealed 35 per cent of
Australians believed that children make up stories about being abused.

Mr Tucci said children rarely made up stories about abuse and a national
campaign was needed to educate the public about child abuse prevention.

"That leaves children unprotected and exposed to the risks of abuse and harm,"
he said about the attitudes revealed in the survey.

"The community rates child abuse really low, it rates it after problems with
public transport and council rates.

"It means it's not even on the community agenda, we need a community education
campaign on national child abuse prevention."

The survey also found that 13 per cent of Australians believed that sex between
a 14-year-old girl and an adult was not sexual abuse.

One in five people surveyed said that a parent who causes an injury to a child
whilst administering discipline should not be convicted of assault.

Melbourne breakfast radio personality Tracy Bartram, a patron of the
foundation, said hitting children was no longer an acceptable form of
discipline.

Ms Bartram said she grew up in an environment where hitting was a common form
of discipline and young people were seen and not heard.

Today parents needed to find better ways to communicate with and discipline
their children, she said.

"I believe if we work on ourselves we will have the tools to raise resilient
children," Ms Bartram said.

"If children have high self esteem there is less chance of being caught up in
the black side of society."

The Australian Childhood Foundation, formerly Australians Against Child Abuse,
works in the field of child abuse prevention, treatment, research and
education.

This report appears on news.com.au.

Comment: yet the child abuse industry pushed to keep the issue in the
forefront.

DESCRIPTORS; CPS, CHILD ABUSE, FAMILY LAW, PARENTAL RIGHTS, FOURTH AMENDMENT,
FIFTH AMENDMENT, NEGLECT, MEDICAID FRAUD, EMBEZZLEMENT

LaVonne Carlson
September 10th 03, 04:49 AM
Where exactly is "Austraulia?"? \\

Fern5827 wrote:

> [...]
> of discipline and young people were seen and not heard.
>
> Today parents needed to find better ways to communicate with and discipline
> their children, she said.
>
> "I believe if we work on ourselves we will have the tools to raise resilient
> children," Ms Bartram said.
>
> "If children have high self esteem there is less chance of being caught up in
> the black side of society."
>
> The Australian Childhood Foundation, formerly Australians Against Child Abuse,
> works in the field of child abuse prevention, treatment, research and
> education.
>
> This report appears on news.com.au.
>

> Comment: yet the child abuse industry pushed to keep the issue in the
> forefront.
>
> DESCRIPTORS; CPS, CHILD ABUSE, FAMILY LAW, PARENTAL RIGHTS, FOURTH AMENDMENT,
> FIFTH AMENDMENT, NEGLECT, MEDICAID FRAUD, EMBEZZLEMENT

September 11th 03, 08:59 PM
Fern, your comment to your posted article below was: "Comment: yet the child
abuse industry pushed to keep the issue in the forefront."

Is this a bad thing, since according to your post subject says Australia is not
very concerned about child abuse? And when according to your posting, "Australian
Childhood Foundation chief executive Joe Tucci described the results
as "shameful" and reflected a community in denial over the true extent of child
abuse."

When a country lacks concern over abuse of it's youngest and most vulnerable
members, and when the chief executive of the Australian Childhood Foundation
describes the community as being in denial over the true extent of child abuse, it
seems to me that someone or some organization had better push to keep the issue in
the forefront.

Good grief, Fern.

LaVonne

Fern5827 wrote:

> [...]
> of discipline and young people were seen and not heard.
>
> Today parents needed to find better ways to communicate with and discipline
> their children, she said.
>
> "I believe if we work on ourselves we will have the tools to raise resilient
> children," Ms Bartram said.
>
> "If children have high self esteem there is less chance of being caught up in
> the black side of society."
>
> The Australian Childhood Foundation, formerly Australians Against Child Abuse,
> works in the field of child abuse prevention, treatment, research and
> education.
>
> This report appears on news.com.au.
>

> Comment: yet the child abuse industry pushed to keep the issue in the
> forefront.
>
> DESCRIPTORS; CPS, CHILD ABUSE, FAMILY LAW, PARENTAL RIGHTS, FOURTH AMENDMENT,
> FIFTH AMENDMENT, NEGLECT, MEDICAID FRAUD, EMBEZZLEMENT

September 12th 03, 07:00 PM
Good grief, Lavonne, have you heard of the term *agenda?*

We earlier discussed Ayn Rand.

Do some background digging.

> [...]
>>

>> Comment: yet the child abuse industry pushed to keep the issue in the
>> forefront.
>>
>> DESCRIPTORS; CPS, CHILD ABUSE, FAMILY LAW, PARENTAL RIGHTS, FOURTH
>AMENDMENT,
>> FIFTH AMENDMENT, NEGLECT, MEDICAID FRAUD, EMBEZZLEMENT
>
>--------------39D7183481E97DEDF8D8FCFF
>
>Fern, your comment to your posted article below was: "Comment:yet the child
>abuse industry pushed to keep the issue in the forefront."
>Is this a bad thing, since according to your post subject says Australiais
>not very concerned about child abuse? And when according to yourposting,
>"Australian Childhood Foundation chief executive Joe Tuccidescribed the
>results
>as "shameful" and reflected a community in denial over the trueextent of
>child abuse."
>When a country lacks concern over abuse of it's youngest and most

AGENDIZED PROPAGANDA. Read up on propaganda, too.

LaVonne Carlson
September 18th 03, 04:13 AM
Fern5827 wrote:

> Good grief, Lavonne, have you heard of the term *agenda?*

Yes, I have heard of the term "agenda." I am so delighted that anyone's agenda
would include the protection of children. You have a problem with that "agenda?"

> We earlier discussed Ayn Rand.

Did we? I don't remember discussing Ayn Rand with you, but we may have. Could
you please post references to this discussion?

> Do some background digging.

Oh Fern, I have definitely done "background digging." What "background digging
would you suggest that I do?

LaVonne