PDA

View Full Version : New York C. help for families intruded by ACS, CWA, BSW

Fern5827
September 26th 03, 03:06 PM
Subject: Very helpful resource in New York City-ACS FW:
From: (Fern5827)
Date: 9/24/2003 4:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time

FWD from the Internet

When we had our case with CPS, or ACS as it is called in New York
City, we turned to the Public Advocates Office which at the time was
under the direction of Mark Green. First, we met with a group of
parents who, like us, were fighting to get their kids back. We all
took turns discussing our cases, expressing our grievances and
exchanging phone numbers. I was not in activist mode at that time,
but in more of a survival mode, if you know what I mean. I trusted
absolutely no one!

They assigned a parent liaison to us. She was a young woman fresh
out of college (like so many social workers and caseworkers) who
would meet us in court and advocate for us. She would confront the
caseworkers and pressure them to follow the rules, such as provide us
with a caseplan (which they never did), let the kids enter kinship
care (which they did), reunite the kids with us (which they did).
She advocated for us and it didn't cost a dime. Has anyone ever
heard of a Public Advocates Office in their city? If so, I would
strongly recommend looking to them for assistance.

See:
http://www.pubadvocate.nyc.gov/childwelfare.shtml

DESCRIPTORS CPS, CHILD PROTECTIVE, NEW YORK, NEW YORK CITY, BCW, CWA , SOCIAL
SERVICES, FAMILY LAW, ABUSE, NEGLECT, FOSTER CARE, KINSHIP CARE

Also see Website for NY state:

http://www.vocalinfo.org (or com)