PDA

View Full Version : Re: Pre-term labor and preemies

Truffles
July 15th 03, 02:45 AM
Kimme mik wrote:

> This is my first post to the group and I have a couple of ??? First,I am
> 24w5d pregnant with twin girls. This is my 4th pregnancy, all of my
> other pregnancies had pre-term labor compications, 1st delivered at 34w,
> 2nd pre-term labor with 8 weeks bedrest in hospital dialated to 5cm
> delivered at 37w, 3rd pre-term labor with 8 weeks bedrest at home
> dialated to 3 cm. delivered at 35w. All healthy babies with no other
> compllications. With this pregnancy I've been on bedrest for the last 3
> 1/2 weeks, I'm dialated to 1 1/2-2 cm with a very short cervix, .6cm,
> and on home care using meds and home monitoring as with my last
> pregnancy. I expected this, especially with twins and my history. I'm
> doing very well but do understand where Im at in he pregnancy.
> I was hoping to hear some stories from others who delivered twins, what
> to expect if they are very early, miracles and inspirations. I've had
> steroids last week to mature the lungs and am diigent about bedrest,
> staying horizontal except for bathroom and shower. I'm hoping to hold
> off as long as possible, but who knows? Only time will tell. Hopefully
> myhistory will hold out and we can wait til at least 34w to see these
> little ones.

Welcome to the group, Kim! :-)

I hope those babies cook for a while. I have no information to offer,
I'm afraid but I do know that Angela (Chotii) has been on extended bed
rest (she just got off of it) and she posted a really detailed post
about a week or two ago. You might want to do a google search and read it.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

KimandJuan
July 15th 03, 12:44 PM
Hi Kim,

Welcome to the group. It sounds like you are doing everything right. I have
no advice to offer, as I was never on bedrest. But, I bet you can make it to
34 weeks at least, it sounds like you are a very dedicated mommy! Good luck!

~Kimberly
Mommy to Alexis Iliana 07/17/99 and
Emma Elidia & Aislyn Gabriela 10/01/02
come see us...
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aislynemma/

Paula Johnson
July 16th 03, 08:24 PM
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 07:50:19 -0500 (CDT), (Kimme
mik) wrote:

>I was hoping to hear some stories from others who delivered twins, what
>to expect if they are very early, miracles and inspirations.

Hi Kim,

I hope you are able to hold those babies in longer. If not, though,
perhaps I can provide some hope (and a source of info and support, if
it turns out you need it).

My twin girls were born in April at only 26 weeks gestation, after my
water broke at 25 weeks. One of my daughters just came home from the
NICU two days ago, and the other is still there (but just for another
week or two, we hope). They both weighed under 2 lbs at birth and are
now 6 lbs + each. Sometimes twins have an advantage in a premature
birth over a singleton, because they are under more stress and
therefore mature faster (mother nature knows they often come early).

I won't lie to you, those first weeks were incredibly scary, but it is
absolutely amazing what they can do these days for very premature
babies. You're doing the right thing by getting the steroids in, just
in case. I don't think my girls would have survived without them.

Hang in there, little ones! Keep us posted.

--
Paula
Mom to Olivia and Cassie (b. 4/8/03)

Digital Larry
July 24th 03, 06:14 AM
My wife had PTL and delivered after only two weeks of bedrest at 32 wks 5
days. Kids were 4 lbs 8.5 and 4 lbs 12. (now 11 weeks later they
have more than doubled in weight). Smaller guy spent 3 weeks in NICU,
larger guy came home 4 days earlier. In retrospect NICU time was very
difficult, I do not enjoy looking at those pictures. At the time it was
all we knew as these are our only kids.

The main thing we are dealing with now is having to go to one more DREADED
EYE EXAM for retinopathy of prematurity (ROP). I won't describe it unless
you are curious but it takes nerves of steel to let a doctor do that to
your kids without collapsing or slugging the guy in the face (why dontcha
pick on someone your own size?). We have done it twice already and it is
the least pleasant thing that has happened so far.

For the record, they do not show signs of ROP.

Gary
father to Martin and Reed
5/6/03

here's a few pictures!
http://www.geocities.com/faultline1989/martin-reed-01.html
http://www.geocities.com/faultline1989/Boys_together_June_03.jpg

Shirley M...have a goodaa \\;-\)
July 24th 03, 01:17 PM
Welcome! The babies are absolutely beautiful!

Congrats

Shirley
Chris and Kathleen 1/95

"Digital Larry" > wrote in message
9.11...
> My wife had PTL and delivered after only two weeks of bedrest at 32 wks 5
> days. Kids were 4 lbs 8.5 and 4 lbs 12. (now 11 weeks later they
> have more than doubled in weight). Smaller guy spent 3 weeks in NICU,
> larger guy came home 4 days earlier. In retrospect NICU time was very
> difficult, I do not enjoy looking at those pictures. At the time it was
> all we knew as these are our only kids.
>
> The main thing we are dealing with now is having to go to one more DREADED
> EYE EXAM for retinopathy of prematurity (ROP). I won't describe it unless
> you are curious but it takes nerves of steel to let a doctor do that to
> your kids without collapsing or slugging the guy in the face (why dontcha
> pick on someone your own size?). We have done it twice already and it is
> the least pleasant thing that has happened so far.
>
> For the record, they do not show signs of ROP.
>
> Gary
> father to Martin and Reed
> 5/6/03
>
> here's a few pictures!
> http://www.geocities.com/faultline1989/martin-reed-01.html
> http://www.geocities.com/faultline1989/Boys_together_June_03.jpg

Digital Larry
July 28th 03, 02:56 AM
"Erica Carwile" > wrote in
:

> How old are your twins?

They were born about 11 weeks ago. If anything they were on oxygen a day
or two at most. I cannot say whether our doctor is overdoing it or if
yours missed the boat. We have been told that once they reach 45 weeks
gestational age that we can stop, so one more trip is scheduled (3 total
for one guy, two for the other - why? - as with many things that happen
in the medical world I have no idea if there is a good reason).

I'd refer to the web site I posted for technical details. I don't know how
important it is to intervene at an early stage if there is a problem.