PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Drive?

Meg
July 18th 03, 01:49 AM
Hi!

We are now trying to find the best transportation for a will-be 2yo
and expected twins (Feb.). Just curious what families with three kids
in carseats drive. We're looking at minivans...but where's the
storage/carrying space? Any other suggestions? (I've also checked
out a Ford Expedition, but I'm short and am not impressed by having to
"climb in" to get the kids into their carseats.)

Thanks in advance for your input!

Megan
Mommy to Julia, 20.5 months
Twins EDD: Feb. 11

The Fackrell's
July 18th 03, 02:25 AM
We have a Ford F350, Quad Cab and all 3 fit fine in the back and then cargo
goes in the back ofcourse....we also have a GMC Safari MiniVan w/Van
Conversion....Lots of room there! the middle row are captains seats and the
3rd row is bench style...we put twins in the back and James gets in the
middle....the trick? We removed the captains chair closest to the side door
so we can access the 3rd row with ease!!! Plus, I just took a week long
"vacation" with all 3 kids (no dh) and managed to pack the van so that the
entire space that we normally have (where the seat is missing) was still
clear!!! and the only thing that I packed ontop of the van was our superyard
xt system (2 of them!)...I got the duoglider stroller and extra large
suitcase, plus various toddler toys packed just in the back *trunk* space!!!
I was quite impressed with myself! :) Although we prefer to use the truck
for major shopping trips we have used the van.....and if I forget to take
the stroller out, and we need space in the back, we can put the stroller in
thee "body" of the van, kinda in front of the kids and then load the back of
the van (basically if we don't want things going all over the place, this
way they are contained!) I can take pix if you like!! Though we wish it
were newer ('96) and had remote doors, we love it!!

--
Gwen, Designer Wraps
SAHM to James (9-98) Austin and Amber (5-02)

tired of eBay? Try these great alternatives!
www.tobuytwo.com ....auction house for families of multiples (but singletons
can use it too!)
www.familyauction.com
www.wahmall.com
www.wahmauctions.com

"Meg" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi!
>
> We are now trying to find the best transportation for a will-be 2yo
> and expected twins (Feb.). Just curious what families with three kids
> in carseats drive. We're looking at minivans...but where's the
> storage/carrying space? Any other suggestions? (I've also checked
> out a Ford Expedition, but I'm short and am not impressed by having to
> "climb in" to get the kids into their carseats.)
>
> Thanks in advance for your input!
>
> Megan
> Mommy to Julia, 20.5 months
> Twins EDD: Feb. 11

Chotii
July 18th 03, 04:09 AM
"Meg" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi!
>
> We are now trying to find the best transportation for a will-be 2yo
> and expected twins (Feb.). Just curious what families with three kids
> in carseats drive. We're looking at minivans...but where's the
> storage/carrying space? Any other suggestions? (I've also checked
> out a Ford Expedition, but I'm short and am not impressed by having to
> "climb in" to get the kids into their carseats.)

We have a Honda Oddyssey van. It had extremely good crash-test ratings at
the time we bought it (1999). At present, with a 5 year old, and 3 year old
twins, we have the twins in the back seat (one at either side of the bench)
and the 5 year old in one of the captain's chair. We removed the other
captain's chair, which gives us an enormous chunk of floor space, sufficient
for lots and lots of cargo, or diaper changes, clothes changes, use of a
potty chair, and sometimes 'picnics in the car'. We found a heavy thick
rug(?) at a thrift store, folded it in half, and put it over the floor to
cover up the metal brackets that hold the extra seat in, since they're hard
on the knees. The kids can climb in by themselves now, and even partially
buckle them selves in; we crawl in on our knees to do the rest. We can also
put a portable TV/VCR in the corner behind the driver's seat and all 3 kids
can see it while we take long drives.

Now that we're about to add #4 to our family, we consider our only viable
recourse to be to put in the second captain's chair, thus losing all that
lovely floorspace. But our other choices would be: to put an infant seat
between two shoulder-belt positioning boosters in the ba ck bench seat,
which would make buckling them nearly impossible, or to get a larger
(passenger) van. It's a shame. But it will work.

--angela

FrisbeeŽ MCNGP
July 18th 03, 05:23 PM
"Meg" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi!
>
> We are now trying to find the best transportation for a will-be 2yo
> and expected twins (Feb.). Just curious what families with three kids
> in carseats drive. We're looking at minivans...but where's the
> storage/carrying space? Any other suggestions? (I've also checked
> out a Ford Expedition, but I'm short and am not impressed by having to
> "climb in" to get the kids into their carseats.)

Two words: Chevy Astro

--
Fris "Ruh Row!" beeŽ MCNGP #13

http://www.mcngp.tk
The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

Cindy Senger
July 19th 03, 05:32 PM
We have a Chrysler Town and Country that we just love. The twins are in the
back bench seat and our new baby is in one of the captain's chairs. There is
plenty of room in the "trunk" part for a stroller and groceries. Plus, if we
need more room we can remove the one captain's chair. The van has one of those
automatic sliding doors which is wonderful-- it opens with a push of a button.
Some of the newer models have dual power doors and even a power trunk.

-Cindy (mom to Ashlyn and Allyson 6/99 and Jenna 6/03)

In article >,
says...

>Hi!
>
>We are now trying to find the best transportation for a will-be 2yo
>and expected twins (Feb.). Just curious what families with three kids
>in carseats drive. We're looking at minivans...but where's the
>storage/carrying space? Any other suggestions? (I've also checked
>out a Ford Expedition, but I'm short and am not impressed by having to
>"climb in" to get the kids into their carseats.)
>
>Thanks in advance for your input!
>
>Megan
>Mommy to Julia, 20.5 months
>Twins EDD: Feb. 11

Kender
July 20th 03, 04:22 AM
2000 Ford Windstar with one middle captain's chair removed to create tons of
floor space. This is where I put my groceries! Twins in the back and Evan in
the other captain's chair. All three still in carseats. Only 1.5 more years!
--
Erin
Morgan and Megan 2/15/97

"Meg" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi!
>
> We are now trying to find the best transportation for a will-be 2yo
> and expected twins (Feb.). Just curious what families with three kids
> in carseats drive. We're looking at minivans...but where's the
> storage/carrying space? Any other suggestions? (I've also checked
> out a Ford Expedition, but I'm short and am not impressed by having to
> "climb in" to get the kids into their carseats.)
>
> Thanks in advance for your input!
>
> Megan
> Mommy to Julia, 20.5 months
> Twins EDD: Feb. 11

KimandJuan
July 20th 03, 12:51 PM
I am curious if any one has attempted to put a booster and two infant carriers
in the back bench seat?

~Kimberly
Mommy to Alexis Iliana 07/17/99 and
Emma Elidia & Aislyn Gabriela 10/01/02
come see us...
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aislynemma/

The Fackrell's
July 20th 03, 02:32 PM
2 Eddie Bauer's and the alpha omega fit fine in the back

--

"KimandJuan" > wrote in message
> I am curious if any one has attempted to put a booster and two infant
carriers
> in the back bench seat?
>

> ~Kimberly
> Mommy to Alexis Iliana 07/17/99 and
> Emma Elidia & Aislyn Gabriela 10/01/02
> come see us...
> http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aislynemma/

Kender
July 20th 03, 02:40 PM
Depends on the seats. The girls are in backless boosters and I can barely
squeeze between them when I ride back there. However, my rear end may be as
large as a carseat, sigh. The problem is there is no shoulder harness for
the middle seat in the Ford Windstar.
--
Erin
Morgan and Megan 2/15/97

"KimandJuan" > wrote in message
> I am curious if any one has attempted to put a booster and two infant
carriers
> in the back bench seat?
>

> ~Kimberly
> Mommy to Alexis Iliana 07/17/99 and
> Emma Elidia & Aislyn Gabriela 10/01/02
> come see us...
> http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aislynemma/

July 22nd 03, 01:44 AM
(Meg) surveyed the damage, then, boldy dove into the
melee, yelling something about:

> We are now trying to find the best transportation for a will-be 2yo
> and expected twins (Feb.). Just curious what families with three kids
> in carseats drive. We're looking at minivans...but where's the
> storage/carrying space? Any other suggestions? (I've also checked
> out a Ford Expedition, but I'm short and am not impressed by having to
> "climb in" to get the kids into their carseats.)
>
> Thanks in advance for your input!

Saturn Vue. I don't recommend for a family of more than 4. It really
isn't big enough for all of that. :-\

--
Jonathan

Let us all bask in television's warm glowing warming glow.

H.S.

Megan Byrne
July 22nd 03, 02:58 PM
We have a Pontiac Montana and I love it. Although, I would have liked an
Odessey, the Montana was more affordable. We have both kids, in Alpha
Omegas, in the front row. All seats fold down or come out. We have the
extended version, so I can fit a jogger stroller, a side-by-side Peg
Perego, a single umbrella stroller and much more, behind the second row.

Megan
Mommy to miracle twins...
Aidan & Alexis
Born 9-28-02

FR
July 23rd 03, 08:48 PM
We have triplets and we just bought the newly re-tooled 2004 Toyota Sienna
and it is the best thing we ever did. Toyota looked at the best mini-vans on
the market and upped them in the 2004 edition. Everything you ever wanted in
the mini-van is in this one. We had to wait over 30 days for ours to come in
but it was worth it. We got the LE model with all wheel drive and dvd
entertainment system.

FR

"Meg" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi!
>
> We are now trying to find the best transportation for a will-be 2yo
> and expected twins (Feb.). Just curious what families with three kids
> in carseats drive. We're looking at minivans...but where's the
> storage/carrying space? Any other suggestions? (I've also checked
> out a Ford Expedition, but I'm short and am not impressed by having to
> "climb in" to get the kids into their carseats.)
>
> Thanks in advance for your input!
>
> Megan
> Mommy to Julia, 20.5 months
> Twins EDD: Feb. 11

H Schinske
July 23rd 03, 11:02 PM
wrote:

>Not me. What I want is a minivan that isn't so big. There aren't very
>many of the smaller minivans on the market any more, and they don't
>have the highest quality or best features.

I'm waiting for a hybrid-electric minivan -- I think Toyota already has one on
the market in Japan.

--Helen

David desJardins
July 23rd 03, 11:23 PM
Helen writes:
>> Not me. What I want is a minivan that isn't so big. There aren't
>> very many of the smaller minivans on the market any more, and they
>> don't have the highest quality or best features.
>
> I'm waiting for a hybrid-electric minivan -- I think Toyota already
> has one on the market in Japan.

Yes, I heard that too! My wife was very excited when I mentioned it.
Unfortunately, I've also read that there aren't likely to be any hybrid
minivans brought to the US for several more years. As the OP alluded
to, most US buyers think is the ideal minivan is big big big, and the
car companies go with what sells.

There were rumors that Honda would introduce a smaller minivan than the
Odyssey this year, but it doesn't seem to have materialized.

David desJardins

BlckFocus
July 24th 03, 03:54 AM
look at the mazda mpv the middle seats slide together and the rear seat fold in
to floor