PDA

View Full Version : Re: Pre-term labor and preemies (update)

Kimme mik
July 24th 03, 02:21 PM
Thank you to everyone who responded. It really helps to hear stories of
success. I'm now 26W 1 day. Bedrest and meds seem to be doing the trick
for the time being. Actually I would like to hear the details of ROP.
I'm trying to prepare myself for anything that may possibly come my way.
I'm sure NICU is no picnic, but thank god for the ability to save these
precious little lives. Although I have never experienced NICU, I know
its a possibility at this time. My 1st baby was tiny 4'6 but only had
jaundice so came home in 4 days. Bedrest hasn't been so bad this time
around, I just don't think about it too much and keep n mind that this
is only a temporary situation. Best case in the long run is 2 healthy
girls.... Thanks Kim

Kimme mik
July 25th 03, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the info....
I'm sorry you and your boys have to go through this. It is hard to watch
your children go through any pain, even if it is nessessary. Best wishes
to you and your babies! Thank you so much for sharing your story with
me. It really does help me knowing all the possibilities I may be facing
in the near future. Kim

Jen in South Florida
July 27th 03, 10:20 PM
Digital Larry wrote:

> It's a bit icky.
>
> The test involves the child receiving a series of eye drops to dilate the
> pupil. The eye drops don't seem to hurt and they send you out to wait
> until they work (30 minutes to 2 hours, I guess that depends on how busy
> they are). Then you come into a small darkened room with an exam table and
> they give one more eye drop to numb the eyeball. Then, a nurse wraps the
> baby up in a blanket and pins him down to the table while the doctor
> applies clamps to the eyelids to hold them open. At this point the loudest
> most blood curdling shrieking you have ever heard begins and lasts
> throughout the exam, maybe it's only 3 or 4 minutes but it seems like
> hours. The doctor uses some sort of doodad to push the eyeball up, down,
> left, right while he uses this sort of lighted binocular glasses to look
> into the eye and see the retina. This is necessary because the baby cannot
> be told, look up, left, etc.

Actually, they still use the doodad to "indent" or bring
different parts of the retina into the doctor's field of vision
even if you can be told to look up or left.

I have to have dialated retinal exams every year at least. I'm
prone to retinal tears and have had 2 repaired in the last 3
years. It hurts! so I definitely understand your pain as a
parent having to watch your child go through it. At least I'm a
grownup and can understand that I need to have the exam done so
any tears or weak spots can be repaired so that I don't go blind.

Jen
edd 12/20/03 - twin boys!