PDA

View Full Version : OT Blackout

Andrea
August 19th 03, 01:59 PM
I hope all the people on this ng who were effected by the blackout are back
with us and doing well.

My girls still talk about the time the lights went out for an hour, so I can
imagine what an impression the blackout would make on children. :)

Andrea
twin girls-Madison & Jordan
3 yrs. old

C Straka
August 22nd 03, 01:27 AM
Getting there. Here in Ontario we are still officially in a state of
emergency - government offices are providing essential services only,
businesses are asked to cut their power consumption by 50%, and families are
expected to leave the A/C off - in the middle of a hot and humid heat wave!
We are also washing dishes by hand instead of in the dishwasher, and doing
laundry at 11:00 p.m. when there is less other demand for electricity.
(Obviously the worst of these is the lack of A/C)

This is all because our nuclear generating plants take longer to start up
than other types of power plants. We hope to be back to "normal" by the end
of the weekend.

DD turns 8 tomorrow, and we are having both sides of the family over on
Sunday. Sure would be nice if we are allowed to turn on the A/C for this! We
will bake her cake late tonight so that we don't heat up the kitchen too
much - it will be the first time the oven has been on since last Thursday.
(Can you say BBQ and salads?)

Cheers,

Claudia (Alison 8/22/95; Timothy and Cameron 4/27/99)
"Andrea" > wrote in message
> I hope all the people on this ng who were effected by the blackout are
back
> with us and doing well.
>
> My girls still talk about the time the lights went out for an hour, so I
can
> imagine what an impression the blackout would make on children. :)
>
> Andrea
> twin girls-Madison & Jordan
> 3 yrs. old

Andrea
August 23rd 03, 02:00 AM
Sounds rustic Claudia. :) My fingers are crossed for you that you'll either
be able to turn on the a/c tomorrow or that a cool front will come through.

Happy Birthday Alison! I hope you all have a great party.

Andrea
twin girls-Madison & Jordan
3 yrs. old