PDA

View Full Version : 5th bday party

thefackrells
August 20th 03, 04:46 AM
ok, so this isn't in regards to my twins but rather their older brother,
James...He has just started kindergarten (yay!) and his 5th Bday is in a
month...now usually we've always had a family party with a few other kids
invited...or a bunch of kids for the first couple of hours followed by a
family bbq....Now, I know we don't *have to* to invite his entire class but
being that his bday is so early, its not like he's established a circle of
friends yet, kwim? Plus he's got the few others I know he would like to see
at his party, outside of his classmates.....my dilemma is (and I know I've
done it to myself) that we've decided to have his party at a bowling alley
and its $11/person...yeah, ouch! So how should I eliminate the kids?? I was
thinking that if the class list (which we have yet to receive) gave
addresses, that I would then just invite the kids that lived close by. Or
should I just invite them all and pray that only half show up???....or just
stick to the handful and maybe send a note to the other parents explaining
why their kiddo was left out??? Boy, I didn't think it would be this hard!!!
I don't want to hurt any kiddos feelings but I don't want 30-40 kids at my
house either!! LOL and the going rate at any birthday party type places is
is about the same....or more! GULP....help!
Gwen

thefackrells
August 20th 03, 04:51 AM
oh, and at what age do we stop giving out party gifts (goodie bags)???
"thefackrells" > wrote in message
t...
> ok, so this isn't in regards to my twins but rather their older brother,
> James...He has just started kindergarten (yay!) and his 5th Bday is in a
> month...now usually we've always had a family party with a few other kids
> invited...or a bunch of kids for the first couple of hours followed by a
> family bbq....Now, I know we don't *have to* to invite his entire class
but
> being that his bday is so early, its not like he's established a circle of
> friends yet, kwim? Plus he's got the few others I know he would like to
see
> at his party, outside of his classmates.....my dilemma is (and I know I've
> done it to myself) that we've decided to have his party at a bowling alley
> and its $11/person...yeah, ouch! So how should I eliminate the kids?? I
was
> thinking that if the class list (which we have yet to receive) gave
> addresses, that I would then just invite the kids that lived close by. Or
> should I just invite them all and pray that only half show up???....or
just
> stick to the handful and maybe send a note to the other parents explaining
> why their kiddo was left out??? Boy, I didn't think it would be this
hard!!!
> I don't want to hurt any kiddos feelings but I don't want 30-40 kids at my
> house either!! LOL and the going rate at any birthday party type places is
> is about the same....or more! GULP....help!
> Gwen

Tracy WB
August 20th 03, 06:56 AM
Gwen, my son was in Kindergarten last year and this is my $.02. I would
maybe select 1-2 of the classmates that he seems closest to right now or in
a few weeks and leave it at that. Don't send the invite to school but give
them personally to their moms. At this age feelings get hurt easily and I
mean parents more than the kids. If invites are given out at school the
ones left out may feel bad. Plus you don't want to start out the school
year on the wrong foot for him or you. I would not invite the class unless
you are prepared for all of them to show up. I do not think there is a nice
way to explain why a child is left out and you have the right to invite or
not invite anyone you want. It is all in the delivery. I was the Room
Mom in my son's class and could see the sensitive moms and situations that
arose. Thankfully I stayed out of all of them. I hope that helps a little.

--
~~~
Tracy

"thefackrells" > wrote in message
t...
> ok, so this isn't in regards to my twins but rather their older brother,
> James...He has just started kindergarten (yay!) and his 5th Bday is in a
> month...now usually we've always had a family party with a few other kids
> invited...or a bunch of kids for the first couple of hours followed by a
> family bbq....Now, I know we don't *have to* to invite his entire class
but
> being that his bday is so early, its not like he's established a circle of
> friends yet, kwim? Plus he's got the few others I know he would like to
see
> at his party, outside of his classmates.....my dilemma is (and I know I've
> done it to myself) that we've decided to have his party at a bowling alley
> and its $11/person...yeah, ouch! So how should I eliminate the kids?? I
was
> thinking that if the class list (which we have yet to receive) gave
> addresses, that I would then just invite the kids that lived close by. Or
> should I just invite them all and pray that only half show up???....or
just
> stick to the handful and maybe send a note to the other parents explaining
> why their kiddo was left out??? Boy, I didn't think it would be this
hard!!!
> I don't want to hurt any kiddos feelings but I don't want 30-40 kids at my
> house either!! LOL and the going rate at any birthday party type places is
> is about the same....or more! GULP....help!
> Gwen

Shirley M...have a goodaa \\;-\)
August 20th 03, 12:59 PM
You can't possibly invite all the kids in the class and all the parents know
that. Having 8 year olds in the same class also get sticky. Our school
will not give addresses out of families, only names. I have given the
invitations to the twins and asked them to give them to their friends. We
have always limited the parties to a couple of good friends (each gets 2),
then we can do something really fun (i.e., the bowling alley). Ask the
teacher for help too, they are well versed in this delimenia.

Shirley
Chris and Kathleen 1/95 - newly registered 3rd graders - yikes!!!!

"thefackrells" > wrote in message
t...
> ok, so this isn't in regards to my twins but rather their older brother,
> James...He has just started kindergarten (yay!) and his 5th Bday is in a
> month...now usually we've always had a family party with a few other kids
> invited...or a bunch of kids for the first couple of hours followed by a
> family bbq....Now, I know we don't *have to* to invite his entire class
but
> being that his bday is so early, its not like he's established a circle of
> friends yet, kwim? Plus he's got the few others I know he would like to
see
> at his party, outside of his classmates.....my dilemma is (and I know I've
> done it to myself) that we've decided to have his party at a bowling alley
> and its $11/person...yeah, ouch! So how should I eliminate the kids?? I
was
> thinking that if the class list (which we have yet to receive) gave
> addresses, that I would then just invite the kids that lived close by. Or
> should I just invite them all and pray that only half show up???....or
just
> stick to the handful and maybe send a note to the other parents explaining
> why their kiddo was left out??? Boy, I didn't think it would be this
hard!!!
> I don't want to hurt any kiddos feelings but I don't want 30-40 kids at my
> house either!! LOL and the going rate at any birthday party type places is
> is about the same....or more! GULP....help!
> Gwen

Shirley M...have a goodaa \\;-\)
August 20th 03, 01:00 PM
We still do, but the last party Kathleen went to it was t-shirts. Goody
bags here are given until the sleepovers start (10 or so). Good luck

Shirley

> oh, and at what age do we stop giving out party gifts (goodie bags)???
> "thefackrells" > wrote in message
> t...
> > ok, so this isn't in regards to my twins but rather their older brother,
> > James...He has just started kindergarten (yay!) and his 5th Bday is in a
> > month...now usually we've always had a family party with a few other
kids
> > invited...or a bunch of kids for the first couple of hours followed by a
> > family bbq....Now, I know we don't *have to* to invite his entire class
> but
> > being that his bday is so early, its not like he's established a circle
of
> > friends yet, kwim? Plus he's got the few others I know he would like to
> see
> > at his party, outside of his classmates.....my dilemma is (and I know
I've
> > done it to myself) that we've decided to have his party at a bowling
alley
> > and its $11/person...yeah, ouch! So how should I eliminate the kids?? I
> was
> > thinking that if the class list (which we have yet to receive) gave
> > addresses, that I would then just invite the kids that lived close by.
Or
> > should I just invite them all and pray that only half show up???....or
> just
> > stick to the handful and maybe send a note to the other parents
explaining
> > why their kiddo was left out??? Boy, I didn't think it would be this
> hard!!!
> > I don't want to hurt any kiddos feelings but I don't want 30-40 kids at
my
> > house either!! LOL and the going rate at any birthday party type places
is
> > is about the same....or more! GULP....help!
> > Gwen

Shirley M...have a goodaa \\;-\)
August 20th 03, 01:02 PM
Tracy, that's a great idea, get ahold of the room mom - she also might be
able to intervene for you. I forgot - I was the room mom last year and
there are a lot of things we can do to help.

Shirley

"Tracy WB" > wrote in message
> [...]
> > and its $11/person...yeah, ouch! So how should I eliminate the kids?? I
> was
> > thinking that if the class list (which we have yet to receive) gave
> > addresses, that I would then just invite the kids that lived close by.
Or
> > should I just invite them all and pray that only half show up???....or
> just
> > stick to the handful and maybe send a note to the other parents
explaining
> > why their kiddo was left out??? Boy, I didn't think it would be this
> hard!!!
> > I don't want to hurt any kiddos feelings but I don't want 30-40 kids at
my
> > house either!! LOL and the going rate at any birthday party type places
is
> > is about the same....or more! GULP....help!

The Huwe Family
August 20th 03, 02:50 PM
Gwen,

As a teacher (well, former teacher now :-) I would suggest you only invite
a couple of the students from the class that you know your son really wants
to invite, or even "all the boys". If you invite the entire class, you
better be prepared for them all to show up. You can easily give the
invitations to the teacher and ask him/her to discretely pass them out. In
my classroom, as in most, we had "mailboxes" where all the going home papers
were placed. I took time towards the end of the school day to put their
papers and the invitations in the box at that time. That way one of the
students wouldn't go over to their box, see the invitation, and open it and
show it around. I'm not sure that 5 year olds could handle it, but my
classes of 2nd & 3rd graders were told that they could only discuss the
party between the people who went to the party. They understood about
hurting others feelings.

The only other suggestion I can give if you don't want to leave anyone out,
is to have the party in two stages. One group goes bowling and then
everyone meets later at chuck e cheese for the party (or at your home.)

Gayle

"thefackrells" > wrote in message
t...
> ok, so this isn't in regards to my twins but rather their older brother,
> James...He has just started kindergarten (yay!) and his 5th Bday is in a
> month...now usually we've always had a family party with a few other kids
> invited...or a bunch of kids for the first couple of hours followed by a
> family bbq....Now, I know we don't *have to* to invite his entire class
but
> being that his bday is so early, its not like he's established a circle of
> friends yet, kwim? Plus he's got the few others I know he would like to
see
> at his party, outside of his classmates.....my dilemma is (and I know I've
> done it to myself) that we've decided to have his party at a bowling alley
> and its $11/person...yeah, ouch! So how should I eliminate the kids?? I
was
> thinking that if the class list (which we have yet to receive) gave
> addresses, that I would then just invite the kids that lived close by. Or
> should I just invite them all and pray that only half show up???....or
just
> stick to the handful and maybe send a note to the other parents explaining
> why their kiddo was left out??? Boy, I didn't think it would be this
hard!!!
> I don't want to hurt any kiddos feelings but I don't want 30-40 kids at my
> house either!! LOL and the going rate at any birthday party type places is
> is about the same....or more! GULP....help!
> Gwen

Anita
August 20th 03, 07:02 PM
What is a room mom? Is this a U.S. thing?

Anita

"Shirley M...have a goodaa \;-)" > wrote in
message news:frJ0b.207262$Ho3.27732@sccrnsc03...
> Tracy, that's a great idea, get ahold of the room mom - she also might be
> able to intervene for you. I forgot - I was the room mom last year and
> there are a lot of things we can do to help.
>
> Shirley

---

Tracy WB
August 20th 03, 07:19 PM
The Room Mom coordinates parties and aids the teacher in any way she can.
She is kid of the liaisons between parents and teachers.

--
~~~
Tracy

**Member of the Scrappin Safari Castaway Crew**
http://www.scrapnsafari.com
Check out the latest issue at http://www.scrapnsafari.com/currentezine.htm!

Pages Scrapped in 2003: 174
2002: 320
2001: 248

"Anita" > wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
> What is a room mom? Is this a U.S. thing?
>
> Anita
>
> "Shirley M...have a goodaa \;-)" > wrote in
> message news:frJ0b.207262$Ho3.27732@sccrnsc03...
> > Tracy, that's a great idea, get ahold of the room mom - she also might
be
> > able to intervene for you. I forgot - I was the room mom last year and
> > there are a lot of things we can do to help.
> >
> > Shirley
>

> ---

KimandJuan
August 20th 03, 07:20 PM
Room Mom or homeroom Mom is basically the go-between person of parents and
teacher. She organizes parties, field trips and volunteers in the classroom
from time to time.

~Kimberly
Mommy to Alexis Iliana 07/17/99 and
Emma Elidia & Aislyn Gabriela 10/01/02
come see us...
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aislynemma/

KimandJuan
August 21st 03, 01:03 AM
Are you in a bigger city? I would imagine that it might be more of a suburbia
trend. In the bigger cities where you tend to have two parents working with no
time to volunteer, they might not expect it. Just a theory anyway.

~Kimberly
Mommy to Alexis Iliana 07/17/99 and
Emma Elidia & Aislyn Gabriela 10/01/02
come see us...
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aislynemma/

The Huwe Family
August 21st 03, 02:33 PM
If you are interested in the position, why don't you go ask your child's
teacher. I know from experience that ALL help is greatly appreciated.

Gayle
"H Schinske" > wrote in message
> wrote:
>
> >Room Mom or homeroom Mom is basically the go-between person of parents
and
> >teacher. She organizes parties, field trips and volunteers in the
classroom
> >from time to time.
>
> I don't think my kids' school has these, and none of the schools I
attended did
> either. I first heard of them in discussions online.
>
> --Helen

Andrea
August 21st 03, 04:42 PM
I also debated last year whether to invite the whole class to the girls' party,
but they were really only close to a couple children in the class whom they are
friends with outside of class anyway. So we just invited them, along with other
friends outside of school, & family members. BTW, only 1 other child invited
the entire class to her birthday party last year (and most of the class showed
up.....it was crazy). The school also has a policy (which I agree with) that
invitations will only be passed out in class if the entire class is being
invited.

If I were you, I'd just invite family members and children your son is already
friends with. Perhaps by the time the invites go out there will be a couple
classmates he wants to mail invitations to as well.

As far as goodie bags are concerned, I think if you are paying for them to all
go bowling then you can skip the goodie bags.

Andrea
twin girls-Jordan & Madison
3 yrs. old

>ok, so this isn't in regards to my twins but rather their older brother,
>James...He has just started kindergarten (yay!) and his 5th Bday is in a
>month...now usually we've always had a family party with a few other kids
>invited...or a bunch of kids for the first couple of hours followed by a
>family bbq....Now, I know we don't *have to* to invite his entire class but
>being that his bday is so early, its not like he's established a circle of
>friends yet, kwim? Plus he's got the few others I know he would like to see
>at his party, outside of his classmates.....my dilemma is (and I know I've
>done it to myself) that we've decided to have his party at a bowling alley
>and its $11/person...yeah, ouch! So how should I eliminate the kids?? I was
>thinking that if the class list (which we have yet to receive) gave
>addresses, that I would then just invite the kids that lived close by. Or
>should I just invite them all and pray that only half show up???....or just
>stick to the handful and maybe send a note to the other parents explaining
>why their kiddo was left out??? Boy, I didn't think it would be this hard!!!
>I don't want to hurt any kiddos feelings but I don't want 30-40 kids at my
>house either!! LOL and the going rate at any birthday party type places is
>is about the same....or more! GULP....help!
>Gwen

H Schinske
August 21st 03, 10:01 PM
wrote:

>>Room Mom or homeroom Mom is basically the go-between person of parents and
>>teacher. She organizes parties, field trips and volunteers in the classroom
>>from time to time.
>
>I don't think my kids' school has these, and none of the schools I attended
>did
>either. I first heard of them in discussions online.
>
>--Helen

Okay, I *knew* this would happen -- one of my kids changed schools this year,
and we just got the letter from the new teacher. You guessed it, they have room
parents!

I love synchronicity.

--Helen