PDA

View Full Version : School organization -- HELP!

multimom4
September 7th 03, 10:38 PM
How do you organize the school papers and timetables so you don't lose
stuff, and so you know what goes back to whom and when and what day each kid
needs to do what? Last (four) years the three were all in one class and it
was no hassle -- snack, PE, blah blah all on same schedule, I just used my
wall calendar. Now I have to organize four separate sets of papers,
remember four separate schedules ... and I *HATE* having "unnecessary" stuff
on the counters (ha ha -- looks around despairingly for a small chink of
countertop poking thru and does not find same). The wall calendar is WAY
too small for all this and homework hasn't even started yet.

Yesterday, I bought a solidly built black box for hanging folders and put
one for each child in it plus one for group stuff (sport/hobby/etc) and one
extra for ???. I am contemplating re-installing on the kitchen wall the
corkboard that was banished during the remodel -- I think I might need two
to be honest. Any clever tricks to share to use this stuff wisely or to
render them obsolete?

Also: how to keep the stuff the kids bring home straight when it comes in
the door, so I know which one brought which unnamed paper (they won't be
able to tell me accurately, so don't suggest just *asking* them!!) They
won't be able to file them accurately either, by the way.

Shirley????? Anyone?????

--
Janet
Elliot, Hanna, Connor (10/21/96)

Kender
September 8th 03, 01:28 AM
I can help with the calendar part. I would go crazy without one of those big
desk blotter calendars. I hang it up on the wall. It measures 2'x3' and has
plenty of room for writing. You can get them anywhere for about $5. Don't do
the bulletin board, just transfer dates when you can to the calendar. Make a
pile for dates in magazine/paper sorter below.

For organization of papers how about one those magazine/paper sorter type
racks for the wall. They have different sections at angles so you can slide
papers right in. I am thinking about that one. I saw an old metal one at a
garage sale for $5 once and am kicking myself now.

I look at their work, give them praise and then recycle it. I am heartless.
We have separate teachers this year too. More organization tips to come
later.
--
Erin
Morgan and Megan 2/15/97

multimom4" > wrote in message
et...
> How do you organize the school papers and timetables so you don't lose
> stuff, and so you know what goes back to whom and when and what day each
kid
> needs to do what? Last (four) years the three were all in one class and
it
> was no hassle -- snack, PE, blah blah all on same schedule, I just used my
> wall calendar. Now I have to organize four separate sets of papers,
> remember four separate schedules ... and I *HATE* having "unnecessary"
stuff
> on the counters (ha ha -- looks around despairingly for a small chink of
> countertop poking thru and does not find same). The wall calendar is WAY
> too small for all this and homework hasn't even started yet.
>
> Yesterday, I bought a solidly built black box for hanging folders and put
> one for each child in it plus one for group stuff (sport/hobby/etc) and
one
> extra for ???. I am contemplating re-installing on the kitchen wall the
> corkboard that was banished during the remodel -- I think I might need two
> to be honest. Any clever tricks to share to use this stuff wisely or to
> render them obsolete?
>
> Also: how to keep the stuff the kids bring home straight when it comes in
> the door, so I know which one brought which unnamed paper (they won't be
> able to tell me accurately, so don't suggest just *asking* them!!) They
> won't be able to file them accurately either, by the way.
>
> Shirley????? Anyone?????
>
> --
> Janet
> Elliot, Hanna, Connor (10/21/96)
> and Holly (4/4/01)

Kender
September 8th 03, 01:28 AM
I can help with the calendar part. I would go crazy without one of those big
desk blotter calendars. I hang it up on the wall. It measures 2'x3' and has
plenty of room for writing. You can get them anywhere for about $5. Don't do
the bulletin board, just transfer dates when you can to the calendar. Make a
pile for dates in magazine/paper sorter below.

For organization of papers how about one those magazine/paper sorter type
racks for the wall. They have different sections at angles so you can slide
papers right in. I am thinking about that one. I saw an old metal one at a
garage sale for $5 once and am kicking myself now.

I look at their work, give them praise and then recycle it. I am heartless.
We have separate teachers this year too. More organization tips to come
later.
--
Erin
Morgan and Megan 2/15/97
Evan 5/14/00

multimom4" > wrote in message
et...
> How do you organize the school papers and timetables so you don't lose
> stuff, and so you know what goes back to whom and when and what day each
kid
> needs to do what? Last (four) years the three were all in one class and
it
> was no hassle -- snack, PE, blah blah all on same schedule, I just used my
> wall calendar. Now I have to organize four separate sets of papers,
> remember four separate schedules ... and I *HATE* having "unnecessary"
stuff
> on the counters (ha ha -- looks around despairingly for a small chink of
> countertop poking thru and does not find same). The wall calendar is WAY
> too small for all this and homework hasn't even started yet.
>
> Yesterday, I bought a solidly built black box for hanging folders and put
> one for each child in it plus one for group stuff (sport/hobby/etc) and
one
> extra for ???. I am contemplating re-installing on the kitchen wall the
> corkboard that was banished during the remodel -- I think I might need two
> to be honest. Any clever tricks to share to use this stuff wisely or to
> render them obsolete?
>
> Also: how to keep the stuff the kids bring home straight when it comes in
> the door, so I know which one brought which unnamed paper (they won't be
> able to tell me accurately, so don't suggest just *asking* them!!) They
> won't be able to file them accurately either, by the way.
>
> Shirley????? Anyone?????
>
> --
> Janet
> Elliot, Hanna, Connor (10/21/96)
> and Holly (4/4/01)

Marie
September 8th 03, 03:30 AM
"multimom4" > wrote in message
et...
> How do you organize the school papers and timetables so you don't lose
> stuff, and so you know what goes back to whom and when and what day each
kid
> needs to do what? Last (four) years the three were all in one class and
it
> was no hassle -- snack, PE, blah blah all on same schedule, I just used my
> wall calendar. Now I have to organize four separate sets of papers,
> remember four separate schedules ... and I *HATE* having "unnecessary"
stuff
> on the counters (ha ha -- looks around despairingly for a small chink of
> countertop poking thru and does not find same). The wall calendar is WAY
> too small for all this and homework hasn't even started yet.

As Kender says, get a desk blotter calendar. Then, get different colour
pens--one colour for each person in the family and one more for group things
(you may have to use fine-tip markers or pencil crayons to get enough
colours).

> Yesterday, I bought a solidly built black box for hanging folders and put
> one for each child in it plus one for group stuff (sport/hobby/etc) and
one
> extra for ???.

This is a good idea--you may want to look for box folders (hanging folders
that are about 1" wide at the bottom) if you find you have a lot of stuff.

> I am contemplating re-installing on the kitchen wall the
> corkboard that was banished during the remodel -- I think I might need two
> to be honest. Any clever tricks to share to use this stuff wisely or to
> render them obsolete?
>
> Also: how to keep the stuff the kids bring home straight when it comes in
> the door, so I know which one brought which unnamed paper (they won't be
> able to tell me accurately, so don't suggest just *asking* them!!) They
> won't be able to file them accurately either, by the way.

My friend with school age kids got stacking crates (the kind you can stack
to make cubbyhole style shelves) beside where the coats hang. Kids walk in
door, take off boots/shoes, put backpacks into their cubbyhole, hang up
coat. Then my friend works with each child in turn, emptying backpack,
organizing papers, etc. When homework is done, it goes *right* back into
backpack and backpack goes into child's cubbyhole. Next morning, everything
is ready for a quick exit at the start of the day. It took some training to
get the kids to be consistent, but she finds the system works very well.

Marie

> Shirley????? Anyone?????
>
> --
> Janet
> Elliot, Hanna, Connor (10/21/96)
> and Holly (4/4/01)

Marie
September 8th 03, 03:30 AM
"multimom4" > wrote in message
et...
> How do you organize the school papers and timetables so you don't lose
> stuff, and so you know what goes back to whom and when and what day each
kid
> needs to do what? Last (four) years the three were all in one class and
it
> was no hassle -- snack, PE, blah blah all on same schedule, I just used my
> wall calendar. Now I have to organize four separate sets of papers,
> remember four separate schedules ... and I *HATE* having "unnecessary"
stuff
> on the counters (ha ha -- looks around despairingly for a small chink of
> countertop poking thru and does not find same). The wall calendar is WAY
> too small for all this and homework hasn't even started yet.

As Kender says, get a desk blotter calendar. Then, get different colour
pens--one colour for each person in the family and one more for group things
(you may have to use fine-tip markers or pencil crayons to get enough
colours).

> Yesterday, I bought a solidly built black box for hanging folders and put
> one for each child in it plus one for group stuff (sport/hobby/etc) and
one
> extra for ???.

This is a good idea--you may want to look for box folders (hanging folders
that are about 1" wide at the bottom) if you find you have a lot of stuff.

> I am contemplating re-installing on the kitchen wall the
> corkboard that was banished during the remodel -- I think I might need two
> to be honest. Any clever tricks to share to use this stuff wisely or to
> render them obsolete?
>
> Also: how to keep the stuff the kids bring home straight when it comes in
> the door, so I know which one brought which unnamed paper (they won't be
> able to tell me accurately, so don't suggest just *asking* them!!) They
> won't be able to file them accurately either, by the way.

My friend with school age kids got stacking crates (the kind you can stack
to make cubbyhole style shelves) beside where the coats hang. Kids walk in
door, take off boots/shoes, put backpacks into their cubbyhole, hang up
coat. Then my friend works with each child in turn, emptying backpack,
organizing papers, etc. When homework is done, it goes *right* back into
backpack and backpack goes into child's cubbyhole. Next morning, everything
is ready for a quick exit at the start of the day. It took some training to
get the kids to be consistent, but she finds the system works very well.

Marie

> Shirley????? Anyone?????
>
> --
> Janet
> Elliot, Hanna, Connor (10/21/96)
> and Holly (4/4/01)

shirley
September 8th 03, 11:41 AM
Janet, I have about 5 minute before running off to work out BUT, I never let
the kids take things out of backpacks until I AM READY. It's a cardinal
rule - and believe it or not by third grade you will have to beg the kids to
find their hidden backpacks to empty them. Each child gives me the backpack
folders - teachers are great about "folders", there is always one for take
home and homework. If there is a lot of homework, DH (if he's not working
that night), takes one and I take the other, reading, math, DOL, etc., the
papers and homework sheet gets signed by whom ever is doing it with the twin
and returned immediately to the backpack to return to school the next day.
If you don't its, late out the door for the "I can't find...". Anyhow, the
items that come home for FYI or returned tests, work, if you are going to
keep them for future needs or scapbook, the scrapbook items are put in
plastic boxes upstairs immediately if I can and the newsletters or notes to
remember field trips, special days, picture days go on a bulletin board, the
most recent thing that is coming up on top. As the trip, occasion happens
it gets thrown or kept in the scapbook box. Lunch menus are on the refridg
with magnets (hate this but it works). Lunches get made in the AM if needed
(hot lunch is a yuck), and when boxes returned at night stored on the shelf
for the next day's use. Activity schedules do go on a calendar clearly
marked and yes, you need a good size one though rarely do activities happen
on the same day for the same child, Chris has Tai Kuan on Wednesdays,
Kathleen dance on Saturday, Drama on Mondays after school and Chris
Basketball on Thursday, so you don't need that much room. The twins are
being separated into two different schools so I may be eating my words and
having to come up with another system but we'll see. It gets easier.

Good luck
Shirley

"multimom4" > wrote in message
et...
> [...]

most recent thing that is coming up on top. As the trip, occasion happens
it gets thrown or kept in the scapbook box. Lunch menus are on the refridg
with magnets (hate this but it works). Lunches get made in the AM if needed
(hot lunch is a yuck), and when boxes returned at night stored on the shelf
for the next day's use. Activity schedules do go on a calendar clearly
marked and yes, you need a good size one though rarely do activities happen
on the same day for the same child, Chris has Tai Kuan on Wednesdays,
Kathleen dance on Saturday, Drama on Mondays after school and Chris
Basketball on Thursday, so you don't need that much room. The twins are
being separated into two different schools so I may be eating my words and
having to come up with another system but we'll see. It gets easier.

"multimom4" > wrote in message
et...
> How do you organize the school papers and timetables so you don't lose
> stuff, and so you know what goes back to whom and when and what day each
kid
> needs to do what? Last (four) years the three were all in one class and
it
> was no hassle -- snack, PE, blah blah all on same schedule, I just used my
> wall calendar. Now I have to organize four separate sets of papers,
> remember four separate schedules ... and I *HATE* having "unnecessary"
stuff
> on the counters (ha ha -- looks around despairingly for a small chink of
> countertop poking thru and does not find same). The wall calendar is WAY
> too small for all this and homework hasn't even started yet.
>
> Yesterday, I bought a solidly built black box for hanging folders and put
> one for each child in it plus one for group stuff (sport/hobby/etc) and
one
> extra for ???. I am contemplating re-installing on the kitchen wall the
> corkboard that was banished during the remodel -- I think I might need two
> to be honest. Any clever tricks to share to use this stuff wisely or to
> render them obsolete?
>
> Also: how to keep the stuff the kids bring home straight when it comes in
> the door, so I know which one brought which unnamed paper (they won't be
> able to tell me accurately, so don't suggest just *asking* them!!) They
> won't be able to file them accurately either, by the way.
>
> Shirley????? Anyone?????
>
> --
> Janet
> Elliot, Hanna, Connor (10/21/96)
> and Holly (4/4/01)

thefackrells
September 8th 03, 02:35 PM
ok, y'all are scaring me!!!!

....., Chris has Tai Kuan on Wednesdays,
> Kathleen dance on Saturday, Drama on Mondays after school and Chris
> Basketball on Thursday, so you don't need that much room. The twins are
> being separated into two different schools so I may be eating my words and
> having to come up with another system but we'll see. It gets easier.
>
> Good luck
> Shirley

thefackrells
September 8th 03, 02:35 PM
ok, y'all are scaring me!!!!

....., Chris has Tai Kuan on Wednesdays,
> Kathleen dance on Saturday, Drama on Mondays after school and Chris
> Basketball on Thursday, so you don't need that much room. The twins are
> being separated into two different schools so I may be eating my words and
> having to come up with another system but we'll see. It gets easier.
>
> Good luck
> Shirley

multimom4
September 8th 03, 07:24 PM
Well, it doesn't have to be that bad ALL the time -- in the spring we had:

EHC tae kwon do M
H ballet Tu
EHC tae kwon do W
EHC swimming Sat.

Now *that* was a handful. But right now it's just:
H ballet Tu
EHC art W

We wound everything else down until I can get my act together on this school
thing -- they did not want to do TKDo any more and can all now swim with
confidence (still hooraying about that) so I think a few months out of the
pool won't hurt before we start working on their stroke style again.

Right now I'm looking at a Sat. gym class for E and C to balance H's ballet,
but no decision yet on that. Have to weigh it against the town soccer and
basketball opportunities -- and everything else that came home in those
THICK packets from school last week. Plus still very worried how we are
going to get homework done with Holly *into* everything and seemingly no
time after school before suddenly it's bedtime ... homework starts in about
two weeks per the teachers.

Shirley: what do you do if one finishes homework before the other (like if
one teacher gives a lot more every day?). A grown twin I know said her Mom
made the other kid stay at the table and read, write or whatever academic
stuff they wanted so that it would be "fair", and I'm thinking of trying
that -- thoughts?

--Janet
Elliot, Hanna, Connor (10/21/96)
and Holly (4/4/01)

"thefackrells" > wrote in message
> ok, y'all are scaring me!!!!
>

> ...., Chris has Tai Kuan on Wednesdays,
> > Kathleen dance on Saturday, Drama on Mondays after school and Chris
> > Basketball on Thursday, so you don't need that much room. The twins are
> > being separated into two different schools so I may be eating my words
and
> > having to come up with another system but we'll see. It gets easier.
> >
> > Good luck
> > Shirley

multimom4
September 8th 03, 07:24 PM
Well, it doesn't have to be that bad ALL the time -- in the spring we had:

EHC tae kwon do M
H ballet Tu
EHC tae kwon do W
EHC swimming Sat.

Now *that* was a handful. But right now it's just:
H ballet Tu
EHC art W

We wound everything else down until I can get my act together on this school
thing -- they did not want to do TKDo any more and can all now swim with
confidence (still hooraying about that) so I think a few months out of the
pool won't hurt before we start working on their stroke style again.

Right now I'm looking at a Sat. gym class for E and C to balance H's ballet,
but no decision yet on that. Have to weigh it against the town soccer and
basketball opportunities -- and everything else that came home in those
THICK packets from school last week. Plus still very worried how we are
going to get homework done with Holly *into* everything and seemingly no
time after school before suddenly it's bedtime ... homework starts in about
two weeks per the teachers.

Shirley: what do you do if one finishes homework before the other (like if
one teacher gives a lot more every day?). A grown twin I know said her Mom
made the other kid stay at the table and read, write or whatever academic
stuff they wanted so that it would be "fair", and I'm thinking of trying
that -- thoughts?

--Janet
Elliot, Hanna, Connor (10/21/96)
and Holly (4/4/01)

"thefackrells" > wrote in message
> ok, y'all are scaring me!!!!
>

> ...., Chris has Tai Kuan on Wednesdays,
> > Kathleen dance on Saturday, Drama on Mondays after school and Chris
> > Basketball on Thursday, so you don't need that much room. The twins are
> > being separated into two different schools so I may be eating my words
and
> > having to come up with another system but we'll see. It gets easier.
> >
> > Good luck
> > Shirley

Cindy Wells
September 8th 03, 10:46 PM
multimom4 wrote:
> <snip>
> Shirley: what do you do if one finishes homework before the other (like if
> one teacher gives a lot more every day?). A grown twin I know said her Mom
> made the other kid stay at the table and read, write or whatever academic
> stuff they wanted so that it would be "fair", and I'm thinking of trying
> that -- thoughts?

I'd see that as a way to have the kids think that doing homework fast
led to being punished - particularly for a child who doesn't like
reading or sitting still. Quiet playtime (coloring) might be a better
choice (no tv or chores).

For my sister and I, homework had to be finished before we could play
but we left the table on completion (and having things looked over). We
couldn't go to a friend's house until both of us were done (we walked
there). Since we prefered the kitchen table as a homework area, leaving
the table on finishing the homework helped mom since it cleared the
table too.

By third or fourth grade, one of my teachers gave all the assignments
for the week on Mondays (due on Friday). My sister's assignments were
day to day. Since I wasn't yet very good at scheduling my workload, I
had some late Thursdays (and a few weekend catchups) and my sister
got to play while I worked. (It wouldn't have been fair for her to sit
around simply because I procrastinated when given the choice!)

My brother preferred to work in his room so he'd just come down or go
outside when he was done.

Cindy Wells
(mom's sister hated sitting still and wasn't into reading when they were
young)

> --Janet
> Elliot, Hanna, Connor (10/21/96)
> and Holly (4/4/01)

Cindy Wells
September 8th 03, 10:46 PM
multimom4 wrote:
> <snip>
> Shirley: what do you do if one finishes homework before the other (like if
> one teacher gives a lot more every day?). A grown twin I know said her Mom
> made the other kid stay at the table and read, write or whatever academic
> stuff they wanted so that it would be "fair", and I'm thinking of trying
> that -- thoughts?

I'd see that as a way to have the kids think that doing homework fast
led to being punished - particularly for a child who doesn't like
reading or sitting still. Quiet playtime (coloring) might be a better
choice (no tv or chores).

For my sister and I, homework had to be finished before we could play
but we left the table on completion (and having things looked over). We
couldn't go to a friend's house until both of us were done (we walked
there). Since we prefered the kitchen table as a homework area, leaving
the table on finishing the homework helped mom since it cleared the
table too.

By third or fourth grade, one of my teachers gave all the assignments
for the week on Mondays (due on Friday). My sister's assignments were
day to day. Since I wasn't yet very good at scheduling my workload, I
had some late Thursdays (and a few weekend catchups) and my sister
got to play while I worked. (It wouldn't have been fair for her to sit
around simply because I procrastinated when given the choice!)

My brother preferred to work in his room so he'd just come down or go
outside when he was done.

Cindy Wells
(mom's sister hated sitting still and wasn't into reading when they were
young)

> --Janet
> Elliot, Hanna, Connor (10/21/96)
> and Holly (4/4/01)

shirley
September 9th 03, 01:31 AM
I try not to compare the two in any way (if possible), if one has less
homework or gets done first, they can read or go to the play room. As for
being fair, I don't try to let them do their homework together, that does
bring out the competition, so each has their own desks and the work either
gets checked by either my DH or myself and or the reading gets done and
listened to by any one of the adults here, (3 here). I personally want them
as separate as possible. Now that Chris is in a different school that works
fine.

Shirley

"multimom4" > wrote in message
> Well, it doesn't have to be that bad ALL the time -- in the spring we had:
>
> EHC tae kwon do M
> H ballet Tu
> EHC tae kwon do W
> EHC swimming Sat.
>
> Now *that* was a handful. But right now it's just:
> H ballet Tu
> EHC art W
>
> We wound everything else down until I can get my act together on this
school
> thing -- they did not want to do TKDo any more and can all now swim with
> confidence (still hooraying about that) so I think a few months out of the
> pool won't hurt before we start working on their stroke style again.
>
> Right now I'm looking at a Sat. gym class for E and C to balance H's
ballet,
> but no decision yet on that. Have to weigh it against the town soccer and
> basketball opportunities -- and everything else that came home in those
> THICK packets from school last week. Plus still very worried how we are
> going to get homework done with Holly *into* everything and seemingly no
> time after school before suddenly it's bedtime ... homework starts in
about
> two weeks per the teachers.
>
> Shirley: what do you do if one finishes homework before the other (like
if
> one teacher gives a lot more every day?). A grown twin I know said her
Mom
> made the other kid stay at the table and read, write or whatever academic
> stuff they wanted so that it would be "fair", and I'm thinking of trying
> that -- thoughts?
>
> --Janet
> Elliot, Hanna, Connor (10/21/96)
> and Holly (4/4/01)
>
> "thefackrells" > wrote in message
> > ok, y'all are scaring me!!!!
> >

> > ...., Chris has Tai Kuan on Wednesdays,
> > > Kathleen dance on Saturday, Drama on Mondays after school and Chris
> > > Basketball on Thursday, so you don't need that much room. The twins
are
> > > being separated into two different schools so I may be eating my words
> and
> > > having to come up with another system but we'll see. It gets easier.
> > >
> > > Good luck
> > > Shirley

multimom4
September 9th 03, 04:38 PM
Ack, deleted Cindy's post by accident ... I suppose if making them stay til
all 3 are done is "punishing" the ones that finish first, one could also
argue that letting them leave the homework table when they are done is just
encouraging them to compete with each other and rush the work !!!! (and
later, choose easier classes so they get less work <sigh>). Theoretically,
Shirley's non-comparison idea is great but mine are not at a stage where
they can "go off" and do homework in private yet. What we did yesterday was
I listened to the boys read their school library books because Hanna brought
to be done overnight homework and they didn't have any. This is all such a
challenge. Will have to muddle blindly on in the hope that light will
emerge, I think. Would welcome any other thoughts?????

--Janet
Elliot, Hanna, Connor (10/21/96)
and Holly (4/4/01)

"shirley" > wrote in message
> I try not to compare the two in any way (if possible), if one has less
> homework or gets done first, they can read or go to the play room. As for
> being fair, I don't try to let them do their homework together, that does
> bring out the competition, so each has their own desks and the work either
> gets checked by either my DH or myself and or the reading gets done and
> listened to by any one of the adults here, (3 here). I personally want
them
> as separate as possible. Now that Chris is in a different school that
works
> fine.
>
> Shirley
>
> "multimom4" > wrote in message
> > Well, it doesn't have to be that bad ALL the time -- in the spring we
had:

> > EHC tae kwon do M
> > H ballet Tu
> > EHC tae kwon do W
> > EHC swimming Sat.
> >
> > Now *that* was a handful. But right now it's just:
> > H ballet Tu
> > EHC art W
> >
> > We wound everything else down until I can get my act together on this
> school
> > thing -- they did not want to do TKDo any more and can all now swim with
> > confidence (still hooraying about that) so I think a few months out of
the
> > pool won't hurt before we start working on their stroke style again.
> >
> > Right now I'm looking at a Sat. gym class for E and C to balance H's
> ballet,
> > but no decision yet on that. Have to weigh it against the town soccer
and
> > basketball opportunities -- and everything else that came home in those
> > THICK packets from school last week. Plus still very worried how we are
> > going to get homework done with Holly *into* everything and seemingly no
> > time after school before suddenly it's bedtime ... homework starts in
> about
> > two weeks per the teachers.
> >
> > Shirley: what do you do if one finishes homework before the other (like
> if
> > one teacher gives a lot more every day?). A grown twin I know said her
> Mom
> > made the other kid stay at the table and read, write or whatever
academic
> > stuff they wanted so that it would be "fair", and I'm thinking of trying
> > that -- thoughts?
> >
> > --Janet
> > Elliot, Hanna, Connor (10/21/96)
> > and Holly (4/4/01)
> >
> > "thefackrells" > wrote in message
> > > ok, y'all are scaring me!!!!
> > >

> > > ...., Chris has Tai Kuan on Wednesdays,
> are
> > and

Leslie
September 14th 03, 04:24 PM
Marjorie-Your method sounds wonderful! I wish I was half that organized. I'm
saving your message for future reference. Right now my kids are in
preschool, so not much comes or goes, just artwork that gets hung up.

--
Leslie
Alex and Jordan, 06 May 2000

"chiam margalit" > wrote in message
om...
> [...]

> bulletin board on the stairwell wall that has announcements,
> invitations, and other mail.
>
> In addition to all this, both kids have a large plastic container with
> a top in their rooms. All returned homework and papers that they want
> to keep go into these boxes. At the end of the year we weed through
> this stuff and keep only what is important to them, and that goes into
> yet another filing cabinet in my office that is an official history of
> my kids schooling from preschool to the current time. :-)
>
> I don't know if this can help you in any way, but it does work for us.
> My kids are really disorganized (both are ADD) and I have to
> constantly remind them, but it does become rote eventually. Every
> year, at the beginning of the year I have to have a few hissy fits
> before they get with the program, but it's clockwork by December. :-)

Ann Fitzy
September 15th 03, 05:45 PM
I have triplet grandchildren and my daughter-in-law has three full size
lockers in their back hall. She thinks way ahead as the babies aren't
even 2 yet. For now she keeps their coats, shoes, etc. but when school
time comes she's ready. They are metal and she's painted each name on
one locker. The have hooks for coats and a shelf on top. Plenty of room
in bottom for backpacks and notes or schedules can be put on the outside
with a magnet. Just a bit of information from a grammy who reads your
messages often and has learned a lot. You'll forget, you know!!!!

Ann Fitzy
September 15th 03, 05:45 PM
I have triplet grandchildren and my daughter-in-law has three full size
lockers in their back hall. She thinks way ahead as the babies aren't
even 2 yet. For now she keeps their coats, shoes, etc. but when school
time comes she's ready. They are metal and she's painted each name on
one locker. The have hooks for coats and a shelf on top. Plenty of room
in bottom for backpacks and notes or schedules can be put on the outside
with a magnet. Just a bit of information from a grammy who reads your
messages often and has learned a lot. You'll forget, you know!!!!

C Straka
September 22nd 03, 02:50 AM
Oh, thank you for this tip! Our boys have just started school this year, and
with them, their big sister and my work backpack (the big black one with the
laptop inside) we have four backpacks looking for an organized home. I'm
wondering where is the best place to find these stacking crates - maybe
Staples? Walmart? Home Depot?

Claudia (Alison 8/95; Timothy and Cameron 4/99)

"Marie" > wrote in message
le.rogers.com...

> My friend with school age kids got stacking crates (the kind you can stack
> to make cubbyhole style shelves) beside where the coats hang. Kids walk
in
> door, take off boots/shoes, put backpacks into their cubbyhole, hang up
> coat. Then my friend works with each child in turn, emptying backpack,
> organizing papers, etc. When homework is done, it goes *right* back into
> backpack and backpack goes into child's cubbyhole. Next morning,
everything
> is ready for a quick exit at the start of the day. It took some training
> get the kids to be consistent, but she finds the system works very well.
>
> Marie

C Straka
September 22nd 03, 02:50 AM
Oh, thank you for this tip! Our boys have just started school this year, and
with them, their big sister and my work backpack (the big black one with the
laptop inside) we have four backpacks looking for an organized home. I'm
wondering where is the best place to find these stacking crates - maybe
Staples? Walmart? Home Depot?

Claudia (Alison 8/95; Timothy and Cameron 4/99)

le.rogers.com...