PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping question

Olga Piccolo
September 12th 03, 04:29 PM
I was watching a show on babies and a doctor said a baby should wake up
every 3 to 4 hrs at night. I thought it was a blessing that my girls
sleep 7hrs at 2 months , should I wake them to eat?

Olga

KimandJuan
September 12th 03, 06:11 PM
Mine slept for 8 hours at 2 1/2 months through the night. I think they are
fine as long as they are getting enough food during the day. I say let them
snooze! =) And you too!

~Kimberly
Mommy to Alexis Iliana 07/17/99 and
Emma Elidia & Aislyn Gabriela 10/01/02
come see us...
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aislynemma/

KimandJuan
September 12th 03, 06:11 PM
Mine slept for 8 hours at 2 1/2 months through the night. I think they are
fine as long as they are getting enough food during the day. I say let them
snooze! =) And you too!

~Kimberly
Mommy to Alexis Iliana 07/17/99 and
Emma Elidia & Aislyn Gabriela 10/01/02
come see us...
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aislynemma/

Cindy Senger
September 14th 03, 02:40 AM
Very true, Shirley!! I remember with my twins, that I got so comfortable with
them sleeping through the night (and with those two, it was like 12 hours a
night from about 3 months) and then we started with sleep interruptions around
8 months or so with teeth, growth spurts, etc. and I thought I was gonna go
crazy! I had gotten up with them three times a night when they were tiny and
just once a night seemed like *so* much once they were bigger. Its all in your
expectations I think. In my experience, if you expect to have to get up at
night, its not as big of a deal for some reason.

-Cindy (mom to Ashlyn and Allyson 6/99 and Jenna 6/03)

> [...]

>she was
>> home from the hospital (she came home at two days old) to eat because she
>had
>> lost more weight than they like for them to lose, but once my milk came in
>she
>> started gaining like crazy and we let her sleep!! IIRC, my twins who were
>7
>> weeks early and small could only go one six hour stretch at night between
>> feedings for a month or so (by order of the ped).
>>
>> Let those girls sleep!!
>>
>> -Cindy (mom to Ashlyn and Allyson 6/99 and Jenna 6/03)
>>
>> In article >,
>> says...
>> >
>> >I was watching a show on babies and a doctor said a baby should wake up
>> >every 3 to 4 hrs at night. I thought it was a blessing that my girls
>> >sleep 7hrs at 2 months , should I wake them to eat?

H Schinske
September 14th 03, 06:45 AM
Olga ) wrote:

>I was watching a show on babies and a doctor said a baby should wake up
>every 3 to 4 hrs at night. I thought it was a blessing that my girls
>sleep 7hrs at 2 months , should I wake them to eat?

The only time I can think of that I would wake a baby for a feed is a newborn
with jaundice, or any other condition that would make them lethargic and less
likely to eat when they need to. Assuming your babies are healthy and gaining
well, there is no need to wake them.

I think all the people who write books about how to make tiny babies sleep
longer just *happened* to have babies who slept like yours, and thought it was
their magic method that made it all happen :-)

--Helen

H Schinske
September 14th 03, 06:45 AM
Olga ) wrote:

>I was watching a show on babies and a doctor said a baby should wake up
>every 3 to 4 hrs at night. I thought it was a blessing that my girls
>sleep 7hrs at 2 months , should I wake them to eat?

The only time I can think of that I would wake a baby for a feed is a newborn
with jaundice, or any other condition that would make them lethargic and less
likely to eat when they need to. Assuming your babies are healthy and gaining
well, there is no need to wake them.

I think all the people who write books about how to make tiny babies sleep
longer just *happened* to have babies who slept like yours, and thought it was
their magic method that made it all happen :-)

--Helen

multimom4
September 14th 03, 05:06 PM
I think there is a tendency for experts to worry about their message
potentially causing damage, so they are super conservative ... if they say
"at 2 months good for you if your babies are sleeping all night" then a
bunch of people are going to go out and try to train their hungry babies not
to want night-time food ----- so potentially dehydration etc. So instead
the experts aim for caution to protect those that might get hurt. But like
Helen says, unless a baby is going thru something to make them not eat when
they need to (premies in the first few weeks, for ex.), then there is no
need to wake.

--Janet
Elliot, Hanna, Connor (10/21/96, 34 weeks, and 2 of 3 slept through at
about 6 or 7 weeks *adjusted* age)
Holly (4/4/01 8# 8 at 37 weeks and never slept through til she was 22
months)