PDA

View Full Version : Re: Potty Talk

GandSBrock
September 24th 03, 10:34 PM
From just my limited experience, ignore it! Just bite your tongue and don't
even make a face at all costs!

Our experience with naughty words - we haven't done potty words yet...and I
apologize to those of you who have heard me talk on and on about this
before..."stupid" is a very common word on Nickelodeon and a bad word in our
house. I tried not to make a big deal out of it, but have called them on it.
At first they would say it again and again and again. Eventually I lectured
them on the evils of stupid and they said "stupid is a bad word, stupid will
hurt someone's feelings if we call them stupid, so I won't say stupid any
more". They still say it sometimes to get my goat. Fast forward to the next
shocking word. They go in spurts where they call everything a certain name.
The most popular name is "squeaky". But one time it was a name that rhymed
with "lucky" but started with an "f". We did not say one single word about it,
and it really did eventually die down. "Squeaky" stills reigns as the name of
choice.

good luck

Stephanie
Jake and Ryan 9/3/99

GandSBrock
September 24th 03, 10:34 PM
From just my limited experience, ignore it! Just bite your tongue and don't
[...]

shirley
September 24th 03, 11:58 PM
Well get prepared because although we try to curtail the "talk" at home
while in our presence, it takes place at school all the time. My SIL (I
don't like most of the things she says but) believes that potty talk starts
at about 4 and goes until 13! Believe me, farts, poop, pee, and the rest
all get used around other kids. Now Chris is into jokes about balls - oh
well. Again, we usually try to tell them we don't enjoy hearing it but I
know that the kids all talk amongst themselves. We also tell them that
teachers, grandparents and most adults think the talk isn't really nice.
What they say around their peers I really don't care. Boys talk about all
kinds of interesting things at 9 and girls the same - a bit different but
very close. It's just my opinion from my experience at our middle school
which I work and listening to my 3rd graders.

Shirley

"Andrea" > wrote in message
> Every bit of advice I've read on 'what to do when your child uses potty
talk'
> has said to just ignore it, the child won't get reinforced, and s/he will
stop
> using it. Obviously none of the advice-givers has ever had twins. My
girls
> reinforce each other. They think it's hilarious to use potty talk,
especially
> at the table. After ignoring it didn't work I told them "It's not nice to
talk
> like that at the table." So when we got in the car Jordan asked me if it
was
> all right to say "stinky poopy head" since they weren't at the
> table.....sigh.... I have not made a big deal out of it and have been
just
> hoping they will get bored of it, but with two of them to encourage each
other,
> it's not working.
>
> I know it's not a great big deal, but it's getting annoying, and I also
don't
> want them going to school talking like that. Any suggestions?
>
> TIA,
> Andrea
> twin girls-Jordan & Madison
> 3 yrs. old

Julie Seely
September 25th 03, 01:05 AM
Andrea --

We lucked out on this, but the few times they started, we told them that
that sort of language belonged in the bathroom, and that they were
welcome to go up there if they wanted to talk that way. C&E have never
been into the loud intentional burping thing, but one of their peers who
is an occasional visitor to our home does it, and we also send him to
the bathroom if he starts up. Works every time for us.

Julie
Mom to Chris & Erica, 07/97

Andrea wrote:

> Every bit of advice I've read on 'what to do when your child uses potty talk'
> has said to just ignore it, the child won't get reinforced, and s/he will stop
> using it. Obviously none of the advice-givers has ever had twins. My girls
> reinforce each other. They think it's hilarious to use potty talk, especially
> at the table. After ignoring it didn't work I told them "It's not nice to talk
> like that at the table." So when we got in the car Jordan asked me if it was
> all right to say "stinky poopy head" since they weren't at the
> table.....sigh.... I have not made a big deal out of it and have been just
> hoping they will get bored of it, but with two of them to encourage each other,
> it's not working.
>
> I know it's not a great big deal, but it's getting annoying, and I also don't
> want them going to school talking like that. Any suggestions?
>
> TIA,
> Andrea
> twin girls-Jordan & Madison
> 3 yrs. old

RayDiRhymr
October 5th 03, 08:57 PM
Hi, Andrea,

Here's my suggestion. At our house, we occassionally have a Bad-word minute -
and it can occur in the car, at the table, anywhere you need it.

Rules are -
1 - no adult bad words allowed
2 - after the minute, it is over and no more potty talk (it usually is 2-3
minutes)
3 - we all take turns (parents included) and others are quiet when it isn't
their turn (well, okay, they're quiet if they are not cracking up)

The kids know that it is potty talk, trash talk, bad words, whatever. They
know it is not nice and not to do it in public. Of course they slip up
sometimes, but this pretty much curbed it for us.

Good luck,
Diana
w/ Jared, Vanessa, & Grace (all 4-1/2) whose favorite bad words include:
Super Poop (Grace will say nothing but, "bye, bye, Super Poop, and laughs
hysterically)
Poopy Head
Fart face
Butt head

[...]

Seth Jackson
October 10th 03, 07:25 AM
Maybe we're bad parents, but we think it's cute and we play along with
it. As long as they're using the acceptable words we taught them.
--
-Seth Jackson, proud father of Derek and Mariel(10/1/99). Pictures at:
http://hitmeister.home.mindspring.com/familypictures.htm

Music links: www.mp3.com/SethJackson
www.mp3.com/loudspeaker
www.SethJackson.net

Seth Jackson
October 10th 03, 07:25 AM
Maybe we're bad parents, but we think it's cute and we play along with
it. As long as they're using the acceptable words we taught them.
--
-Seth Jackson, proud father of Derek and Mariel(10/1/99). Pictures at:
http://hitmeister.home.mindspring.com/familypictures.htm

Music links: www.mp3.com/SethJackson
www.mp3.com/loudspeaker
www.SethJackson.net

GandSBrock
October 11th 03, 02:11 AM
>Maybe we're bad parents, but we think it's cute and we play along with
>it. As long as they're using the acceptable words we taught them.

Ahhh. A refreshing alternative point of view. I like this group.

Stephanie
Jake and Ryan 9/3/99

GandSBrock
October 11th 03, 02:11 AM