PDA

View Full Version : Twin nick names?

Andrea
September 26th 03, 02:47 AM
When Jordan and Madison were learning to talk they called each other "Dordan"
and "Ma-ison." Then for some reason they started calling each other "Ju-Ju"
(or "Baby Ju-Ju") and "Maa-Maa" for many months (probably close to a year).
Then they started calling each other by their names, Jordan and Madison. Now
Madison always says "Jordan", but Jordan will often call Madison "Maa-Maa".
She probably uses "Madison" and "Maa-Maa" equally. Do your twins have nick
names for each other? I'm wondering if this is a 'twin thing' or is it
something that all siblings do?

Andrea
twin girls-Madison & Jordan
3 yrs. old

Rhiann1048
September 26th 03, 03:14 AM
>Subject: Twin nick names?
>From: (Andrea)
>Date: Thu, Sep 25, 2003 7:47 PM
>
>When Jordan and Madison were learning to talk they called each other "Dordan"
>and "Ma-ison." Then for some reason they started calling each other "Ju-Ju"
>(or "Baby Ju-Ju") and "Maa-Maa" for many months (probably close to a year).
>Then they started calling each other by their names, Jordan and Madison.
> Now
>Madison always says "Jordan", but Jordan will often call Madison "Maa-Maa".
>
>She probably uses "Madison" and "Maa-Maa" equally. Do your twins have nick
>names for each other? I'm wondering if this is a 'twin thing' or is it
>something that all siblings do?

Dana doesn't have a nickname really, unless you count 'sister' as a nickname.
:) But since Rhiannon is harder to say, Dana first started calling her
'wannon' and now 'rannon' -- which I think is kind of cute. I even use them
sometimes.

I think nicknames are pretty common among all siblings. My 30 something dh is
still called 'goobs' by his 40 something siblings.

Lori

Rhiann1048
September 26th 03, 03:14 AM
>Subject: Twin nick names?
>From: (Andrea)
>Date: Thu, Sep 25, 2003 7:47 PM
>
>When Jordan and Madison were learning to talk they called each other "Dordan"
>and "Ma-ison." Then for some reason they started calling each other "Ju-Ju"
>(or "Baby Ju-Ju") and "Maa-Maa" for many months (probably close to a year).
>Then they started calling each other by their names, Jordan and Madison.
> Now
>Madison always says "Jordan", but Jordan will often call Madison "Maa-Maa".
>
>She probably uses "Madison" and "Maa-Maa" equally. Do your twins have nick
>names for each other? I'm wondering if this is a 'twin thing' or is it
>something that all siblings do?

Dana doesn't have a nickname really, unless you count 'sister' as a nickname.
:) But since Rhiannon is harder to say, Dana first started calling her
'wannon' and now 'rannon' -- which I think is kind of cute. I even use them
sometimes.

I think nicknames are pretty common among all siblings. My 30 something dh is
still called 'goobs' by his 40 something siblings.

Lori

H Schinske
September 26th 03, 04:06 AM
Andrea wrote:

>Do your twins have nick
>names for each other? I'm wondering if this is a 'twin thing' or is it
>something that all siblings do?

I think many siblings do it. Mine called each other Em-mee and Tia when they
were tiny. The names didn't stick, though, in our case.

--Helen

H Schinske
September 26th 03, 04:06 AM
Andrea wrote:

>Do your twins have nick
>names for each other? I'm wondering if this is a 'twin thing' or is it
>something that all siblings do?

I think many siblings do it. Mine called each other Em-mee and Tia when they
were tiny. The names didn't stick, though, in our case.

--Helen

Seth Jackson
September 26th 03, 07:16 AM
I don't recall how long ago it happened, but Derek started calling
Mariel "Mariel-Mah". So far, the name has stuck. Also, my wife is
"Mommy-Mah" and I'm "Daddy-Dah". Those names don't get used nearly as
often, though. For some reason, Derek won't let us call him
"Derek-Dah".
--
-Seth Jackson, proud father of Derek and Mariel(10/1/99). Pictures at:
http://hitmeister.home.mindspring.com/familypictures.htm

Music links: www.mp3.com/SethJackson
www.mp3.com/loudspeaker
www.SethJackson.net

Seth Jackson
September 26th 03, 07:16 AM
I don't recall how long ago it happened, but Derek started calling
Mariel "Mariel-Mah". So far, the name has stuck. Also, my wife is
"Mommy-Mah" and I'm "Daddy-Dah". Those names don't get used nearly as
often, though. For some reason, Derek won't let us call him
"Derek-Dah".
--
-Seth Jackson, proud father of Derek and Mariel(10/1/99). Pictures at:
http://hitmeister.home.mindspring.com/familypictures.htm

Music links: www.mp3.com/SethJackson
www.mp3.com/loudspeaker
www.SethJackson.net

Julie Seely
September 26th 03, 12:33 PM
Andrea --

Not true in our case. They have no nicknames for each other, but one of
my sisters and I did and still do. She's 3 years older than I.

Julie (Jules), sister to Lucy (Lu)
and Mom to C&E, 07/97

Andrea wrote:

> When Jordan and Madison were learning to talk they called each other "Dordan"
> and "Ma-ison." Then for some reason they started calling each other "Ju-Ju"
> (or "Baby Ju-Ju") and "Maa-Maa" for many months (probably close to a year).
> Then they started calling each other by their names, Jordan and Madison. Now
> Madison always says "Jordan", but Jordan will often call Madison "Maa-Maa".
> She probably uses "Madison" and "Maa-Maa" equally. Do your twins have nick
> names for each other? I'm wondering if this is a 'twin thing' or is it
> something that all siblings do?
>
> Andrea
> twin girls-Madison & Jordan
> 3 yrs. old

Jonathan Wolgamuth
September 26th 03, 12:55 PM
In article >,
says...
> When Jordan and Madison were learning to talk they called each other "Dordan"
> and "Ma-ison." Then for some reason they started calling each other "Ju-Ju"
> (or "Baby Ju-Ju") and "Maa-Maa" for many months (probably close to a year).
> Then they started calling each other by their names, Jordan and Madison. Now
> Madison always says "Jordan", but Jordan will often call Madison "Maa-Maa".
> She probably uses "Madison" and "Maa-Maa" equally. Do your twins have nick
> names for each other? I'm wondering if this is a 'twin thing' or is it
> something that all siblings do?

Andrea, that is great--and something for me to look forward to.

However, right now the kids are just 18 weeks old, so they don't even
know the other exists (or at least they are indifferent to the other's
existance!!)

Anyway, what I find amazing is our (the parent's) ability to come up
with nicknames for our kids. (Don't ask where some of these came from,
because I probably won't even know!)

Ella becomes

Ella Bean
Beaner
LL Bean
LL Cool Bean
Little Chunk (see brother's nicknames)

Henry Becomes

Chunk
Super Chunk
Booger
Booger Barn
(but never "Hank")

Unfortunately, we probably use the nicknames more than their actual
names--hope we don't confuse them too much!

--
Jonathan

"Kids are great Apu! You can teach them to hate the things you hate, and
they practically raise themselves with the internet and all!"

H.S.

Jonathan Wolgamuth
September 26th 03, 12:55 PM
In article >,
says...
> When Jordan and Madison were learning to talk they called each other "Dordan"
> and "Ma-ison." Then for some reason they started calling each other "Ju-Ju"
> (or "Baby Ju-Ju") and "Maa-Maa" for many months (probably close to a year).
> Then they started calling each other by their names, Jordan and Madison. Now
> Madison always says "Jordan", but Jordan will often call Madison "Maa-Maa".
> She probably uses "Madison" and "Maa-Maa" equally. Do your twins have nick
> names for each other? I'm wondering if this is a 'twin thing' or is it
> something that all siblings do?

Andrea, that is great--and something for me to look forward to.

However, right now the kids are just 18 weeks old, so they don't even
know the other exists (or at least they are indifferent to the other's
existance!!)

Anyway, what I find amazing is our (the parent's) ability to come up
with nicknames for our kids. (Don't ask where some of these came from,
because I probably won't even know!)

Ella becomes

Ella Bean
Beaner
LL Bean
LL Cool Bean
Little Chunk (see brother's nicknames)

Henry Becomes

Chunk
Super Chunk
Booger
Booger Barn
(but never "Hank")

Unfortunately, we probably use the nicknames more than their actual
names--hope we don't confuse them too much!

--
Jonathan

"Kids are great Apu! You can teach them to hate the things you hate, and
they practically raise themselves with the internet and all!"

H.S.

Kender
September 26th 03, 04:06 PM
Morgan is MoMo and Megan is MayMay. I think they started calling each other
that about two years old. The funny thing is Evan called them the same names
without knowing because the girls stopped doing it about three. I call them
Mo and May occasionally but they don't use these nicknames for each other
anymore.
--
Erin
Morgan and Megan 2/15/97

"Andrea" > wrote in message
> When Jordan and Madison were learning to talk they called each other
"Dordan"
> and "Ma-ison." Then for some reason they started calling each other
"Ju-Ju"
> (or "Baby Ju-Ju") and "Maa-Maa" for many months (probably close to a
year).
> Then they started calling each other by their names, Jordan and Madison.
Now
> Madison always says "Jordan", but Jordan will often call Madison
"Maa-Maa".
> She probably uses "Madison" and "Maa-Maa" equally. Do your twins have
nick
> names for each other? I'm wondering if this is a 'twin thing' or is it
> something that all siblings do?
>
> Andrea
> twin girls-Madison & Jordan
> 3 yrs. old

multimom4
September 26th 03, 04:39 PM
That's because *he* knows that "Mah" and "Dah" are Swahili for a couple of
very undesirable somethings. ;-)

--Janet
Elliot, Hanna, Connor (10/21/96)
and Holly (4/4/01)

"Seth Jackson" > wrote in message

> I don't recall how long ago it happened, but Derek started calling
> Mariel "Mariel-Mah". So far, the name has stuck. Also, my wife is
> "Mommy-Mah" and I'm "Daddy-Dah". Those names don't get used nearly as
> often, though. For some reason, Derek won't let us call him
> "Derek-Dah".
> --
> -Seth Jackson, proud father of Derek and Mariel(10/1/99). Pictures at:
> http://hitmeister.home.mindspring.com/familypictures.htm
>
> Music links: www.mp3.com/SethJackson
> www.mp3.com/loudspeaker
> www.SethJackson.net

multimom4
September 26th 03, 04:39 PM
That's because *he* knows that "Mah" and "Dah" are Swahili for a couple of
very undesirable somethings. ;-)

--Janet
Elliot, Hanna, Connor (10/21/96)
and Holly (4/4/01)

"Seth Jackson" > wrote in message

> I don't recall how long ago it happened, but Derek started calling
> Mariel "Mariel-Mah". So far, the name has stuck. Also, my wife is
> "Mommy-Mah" and I'm "Daddy-Dah". Those names don't get used nearly as
> often, though. For some reason, Derek won't let us call him
> "Derek-Dah".
> --
> -Seth Jackson, proud father of Derek and Mariel(10/1/99). Pictures at:
> http://hitmeister.home.mindspring.com/familypictures.htm
>
> Music links: www.mp3.com/SethJackson
> www.mp3.com/loudspeaker
> www.SethJackson.net

KimAK
September 26th 03, 06:02 PM
Sorry..I meant to send this to the group. Which is why I don't post often,
I'm terrible at this. Again, my apologies.

"Andrea" > wrote in message
> When Jordan and Madison were learning to talk they called each other
"Dordan"
> and "Ma-ison." Then for some reason they started calling each other
"Ju-Ju"
> (or "Baby Ju-Ju") and "Maa-Maa" for many months (probably close to a
year).
> Then they started calling each other by their names, Jordan and Madison.
Now
> Madison always says "Jordan", but Jordan will often call Madison
"Maa-Maa".
> She probably uses "Madison" and "Maa-Maa" equally. Do your twins have
nick
> names for each other? I'm wondering if this is a 'twin thing' or is it
> something that all siblings do?
>
> Andrea
> twin girls-Madison & Jordan
> 3 yrs. old

KimAK
September 26th 03, 06:04 PM
And I sent the wrong thing AGAIN! Many apologies (slinks back under rock)
;)
"Andrea" > wrote in message
> When Jordan and Madison were learning to talk they called each other
"Dordan"
> and "Ma-ison." Then for some reason they started calling each other
"Ju-Ju"
> (or "Baby Ju-Ju") and "Maa-Maa" for many months (probably close to a
year).
> Then they started calling each other by their names, Jordan and Madison.
Now
> Madison always says "Jordan", but Jordan will often call Madison
"Maa-Maa".
> She probably uses "Madison" and "Maa-Maa" equally. Do your twins have
nick
> names for each other? I'm wondering if this is a 'twin thing' or is it
> something that all siblings do?
>
> Andrea
> twin girls-Madison & Jordan
> 3 yrs. old
My girls called each other "Doot Doot" (actually more they just used a
really odd noise that sounded like Doot Doot) until they were probably close
to four years old. Then my 2 year old niece began calling them Chucky (for
Chelsea) and Sukie (for Courtney, though we never figured out why) and that
stuck for a year or so. Now, at 12 years old, they mainly call each other
Sis. Rarely do they call each other by their given names, their preference
being Sis or Chellie Bellie and Court-o.

My sisters and I still refer to each other as Lis, Lors and Kimmy (which I
still dislike immensely, much to my sisters' delight) My favorites were
coined by my 15 year old niece when she started talking, the grandparents
remain Papa and MeMe.

With the beginning of 7th grade I'm hearing some real unpleasant nicknames,
most of them involving body parts and/or bodily functions. I spend an
inordinate amount of time explaining why calling your sister 'butthead' will
not win you any points in Mom's favor. ACK!
Kim
Chelsea and Courtney (12/27/90)

"Andrea" > wrote in message
> When Jordan and Madison were learning to talk they called each other
"Dordan"
> and "Ma-ison." Then for some reason they started calling each other
"Ju-Ju"
> (or "Baby Ju-Ju") and "Maa-Maa" for many months (probably close to a
year).
> Then they started calling each other by their names, Jordan and Madison.
Now
> Madison always says "Jordan", but Jordan will often call Madison
"Maa-Maa".
> She probably uses "Madison" and "Maa-Maa" equally. Do your twins have
nick
> names for each other? I'm wondering if this is a 'twin thing' or is it
> something that all siblings do?
>
> Andrea
> twin girls-Madison & Jordan
> 3 yrs. old
My girls called each other "Doot Doot" (actually more they just used a
really odd noise that sounded like Doot Doot) until they were probably close
to four years old. Then my 2 year old niece began calling them Chucky (for
Chelsea) and Sukie (for Courtney, though we never figured out why) and that
stuck for a year or so. Now, at 12 years old, they mainly call each other
Sis. Rarely do they call each other by their given names, their preference
being Sis or Chellie Bellie and Court-o.

My sisters and I still refer to each other as Lis, Lors and Kimmy (which I
still dislike immensely, much to my sisters' delight) My favorites were
coined by my 15 year old niece when she started talking, the grandparents
remain Papa and MeMe.

With the beginning of 7th grade I'm hearing some real unpleasant nicknames,
most of them involving body parts and/or bodily functions. I spend an
inordinate amount of time explaining why calling your sister 'butthead' will
not win you any points in Mom's favor. ACK!
Kim
Chelsea and Courtney (12/27/90)

telmgren
September 26th 03, 06:35 PM
"Andrea" > wrote in message
> When Jordan and Madison were learning to talk they called each other
"Dordan"
> and "Ma-ison." Then for some reason they started calling each other
"Ju-Ju"
> (or "Baby Ju-Ju") and "Maa-Maa" for many months (probably close to a
year).
> Then they started calling each other by their names, Jordan and Madison.
Now
> Madison always says "Jordan", but Jordan will often call Madison
"Maa-Maa".
> She probably uses "Madison" and "Maa-Maa" equally. Do your twins have
nick
> names for each other? I'm wondering if this is a 'twin thing' or is it
> something that all siblings do?

My girls know each others names. If someone asks what they're names are,
both will say Lauren and then both will say Madison (although it's like you
say, Wawen and Ma-ison) but they refuse to use those names when addressing
each other, they will only call each other Sissy. When I try to correct
them I get "no, that's SISSY!!" LOL!!

telmgren
September 26th 03, 06:35 PM
"Andrea" > wrote in message
> When Jordan and Madison were learning to talk they called each other
"Dordan"
> and "Ma-ison." Then for some reason they started calling each other
"Ju-Ju"
> (or "Baby Ju-Ju") and "Maa-Maa" for many months (probably close to a
year).
> Then they started calling each other by their names, Jordan and Madison.
Now
> Madison always says "Jordan", but Jordan will often call Madison
"Maa-Maa".
> She probably uses "Madison" and "Maa-Maa" equally. Do your twins have
nick
> names for each other? I'm wondering if this is a 'twin thing' or is it
> something that all siblings do?

My girls know each others names. If someone asks what they're names are,
both will say Lauren and then both will say Madison (although it's like you
say, Wawen and Ma-ison) but they refuse to use those names when addressing
each other, they will only call each other Sissy. When I try to correct
them I get "no, that's SISSY!!" LOL!!

Julie Seely
September 26th 03, 09:31 PM
Janet --

If that whole mommy thing doesn't work out for you, maybe you can host
Jeopardy?

Julie

multimom4 wrote:

> That's because *he* knows that "Mah" and "Dah" are Swahili for a couple of
> very undesirable somethings. ;-)
>
> --Janet
> Elliot, Hanna, Connor (10/21/96)
> and Holly (4/4/01)
>
> "Seth Jackson" > wrote in message
> >

> > I don't recall how long ago it happened, but Derek started calling
> > Mariel "Mariel-Mah". So far, the name has stuck. Also, my wife is
> > "Mommy-Mah" and I'm "Daddy-Dah". Those names don't get used nearly as
> > often, though. For some reason, Derek won't let us call him
> > "Derek-Dah".
> > --
> > -Seth Jackson, proud father of Derek and Mariel(10/1/99). Pictures at:
> > http://hitmeister.home.mindspring.com/familypictures.htm
> >
> > Music links: www.mp3.com/SethJackson
> > www.mp3.com/loudspeaker
> > www.SethJackson.net

C Straka
September 26th 03, 10:50 PM
When our boys were born, we called Timothy "Trout" and Cameron was "Sprout".
But that was just us using those names.
When the boys started talking, they used "Tiddy" and "Daaaaamon" until they
could pronounce the names properly. Then for a while T was "Timoty" with a
very endearing Caribbean lilt (their babysitter is from Trinidad!). Now they
can say their names perfectly. Once in a while DH will use "Tiddy" or
"Daaamon" but he is quickly corrected by the son in question!

Our next-door-neighbour's name is Sharon, but she has been called "Tim"
since childhood since this is what one of her brothers called her. Her DH is
Tom. When we were expecting the boys, "Thomas" was on our short list of
names, so Tom kept strutting around saying "they're going to name one of the
boys after me!". Well, we came home from the hospital and had to carefully
explain that we *did* name one of our children after one of them, just not
the way they had expected. Of course Tim was so pleased! LOL

Claudia (Alison 8/95; Tiddy and Daaaaamon 4/99)

[...]

September 30th 03, 02:51 AM
>Anyway, what I find amazing is our (the parent's) ability to come up
>with nicknames for our kids.

You're right! Before we left the hospital we had about 5 nick names for each
of them! Most of the nick names have changed or been dropped over the years,
but a few have lasted.

Andrea
twin girls-Madison (Madimoo) & Jordan (Ju Ju Bee)
3 yrs. old

Andrea
September 30th 03, 02:51 AM
>Anyway, what I find amazing is our (the parent's) ability to come up
>with nicknames for our kids.

You're right! Before we left the hospital we had about 5 nick names for each
of them! Most of the nick names have changed or been dropped over the years,
but a few have lasted.

Andrea
twin girls-Madison (Madimoo) & Jordan (Ju Ju Bee)
3 yrs. old

Seth Jackson
October 5th 03, 08:03 AM
On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 06:55:25 -0500, Jonathan Wolgamuth
> wrote:

>Anyway, what I find amazing is our (the parent's) ability to come up
>with nicknames for our kids.

The nicknames that I use for our kids aren't very imaginative, but
they haven't changed in 4 years:

"Good Boy" for our son;

"Sweetie" for our daughter. Sometimes this expands to "Sweetie-Honey"
or "Sweetie-Cutie", or "Sweetie-Cutie-Honey-Girl".
--
-Seth Jackson, proud father of Derek and Mariel(10/1/99). Pictures at:
http://hitmeister.home.mindspring.com/familypictures.htm

Music links: www.mp3.com/SethJackson
www.mp3.com/loudspeaker
www.SethJackson.net

Seth Jackson
October 5th 03, 08:03 AM
On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 06:55:25 -0500, Jonathan Wolgamuth
> wrote:

>Anyway, what I find amazing is our (the parent's) ability to come up
>with nicknames for our kids.

The nicknames that I use for our kids aren't very imaginative, but
they haven't changed in 4 years:

"Good Boy" for our son;

"Sweetie" for our daughter. Sometimes this expands to "Sweetie-Honey"
or "Sweetie-Cutie", or "Sweetie-Cutie-Honey-Girl".
--
-Seth Jackson, proud father of Derek and Mariel(10/1/99). Pictures at:
http://hitmeister.home.mindspring.com/familypictures.htm

Music links: www.mp3.com/SethJackson
www.mp3.com/loudspeaker
www.SethJackson.net

Theresa
October 12th 03, 07:17 AM
When the babies were small, we started calling them brother and sister--Like
"look at brother" or "doesn't sister look pretty." Now they are 19 months
and often refer to each other as brother and sister.

--
Theresa Burt
Mom to:

Theresa
October 12th 03, 07:17 AM
When the babies were small, we started calling them brother and sister--Like
"look at brother" or "doesn't sister look pretty." Now they are 19 months
and often refer to each other as brother and sister.

--
Theresa Burt
Mom to:
Gracen and Braden (2/18/02)
Website: http://www.cpomc.org

Gretchen
October 12th 03, 12:22 PM
When Emily and Edan were about 2, they started calling each other "Hobah"
and "Shotah" and would laugh like little maniacs when we asked them what it
meant! We still have no idea... now they consistently call each other
"Brother" and "Sister".

Gretchen SAHM to Emily and Edan (3.1.99) and Matan (6.13.02)

Gretchen
October 12th 03, 12:22 PM
When Emily and Edan were about 2, they started calling each other "Hobah"
and "Shotah" and would laugh like little maniacs when we asked them what it
meant! We still have no idea... now they consistently call each other
"Brother" and "Sister".

Gretchen SAHM to Emily and Edan (3.1.99) and Matan (6.13.02)

Nick Theodorakis
October 13th 03, 02:43 PM
On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 02:17:37 -0400, Theresa >
wrote:

>When the babies were small, we started calling them brother and sister--Like
>"look at brother" or "doesn't sister look pretty." Now they are 19 months
>and often refer to each other as brother and sister.

Lol. Sounds like you live in a "Berenstain Bears" book. ;-)

Nick

--
Nick Theodorakis

nicholas_theodorakis [at] urmc [dot] rochester [dot] edu