PDA

View Full Version : Re: Mistakenly getting an extra Hep B immunization

shirley
September 27th 03, 02:52 PM
I can't tell you the side effects but working in a poverty school we often
have kids that accidentally have extra shots OR have them too close so they
HAVE to have a 4th Heb B shot. The nurse at school (not a typical school
nurse), doesn't think that it would be an issue as the parents who have had
them too close question the same thing. I certainly would check with the
local university maybe and ask to speak to the department of infectious
diseases (which is what it is supposed to be suppressing). See what the
chairman's take on it might be. They truly are usually up to speed on the
information. I think that I would not go into a great detail except for
telling him that you know of a child that had a 4th Hep B shot and what are
the long term effects of "extra" shots.

Shirley

"Leslie" > wrote in message
> This is totally OT, but I'm wondering if anyone has any information I
could
> pass on to my sister. She and her family live in BC, Canada. Her son was
> mistakenly given the shot for Hepatitis B immunization at school when he
had
> already received the set of 3 shots here in the states. Needless to say,
my
> sister is quite upset since she had filled out the "refuse" paperwork. So
My

"Leslie" > wrote in message
> This is totally OT, but I'm wondering if anyone has any information I
could
> pass on to my sister. She and her family live in BC, Canada. Her son was
> mistakenly given the shot for Hepatitis B immunization at school when he
had
> already received the set of 3 shots here in the states. Needless to say,
my
> sister is quite upset since she had filled out the "refuse" paperwork. So
My
> question...does anyone know of any side effects of such a thing? All she
> has found so far are possible side effects getting the immunization in
> general, but not getting an extra one. If it's important to this
question,
> he also has a genetic disorder, Osteogenesis Imperfecta (Brittle Bone
> disease) and was born with a cleft palate. Thanks in advance.
>

> --
> Leslie
> Alex and Jordan, 06 May 2000

DeliciousTruffles
September 27th 03, 08:52 PM
shirley wrote:

> Leslie wrote:
>> This is totally OT, but I'm wondering if anyone has any information I could
>> pass on to my sister. She and her family live in BC, Canada. Her son was
>> mistakenly given the shot for Hepatitis B immunization at school when he had
>> already received the set of 3 shots here in the states. Needless to say, my
>> sister is quite upset since she had filled out the "refuse" paperwork. So My
>> question...does anyone know of any side effects of such a thing? All she
>> has found so far are possible side effects getting the immunization in
>> general, but not getting an extra one. If it's important to this question,
>> he also has a genetic disorder, Osteogenesis Imperfecta (Brittle Bone
>> disease) and was born with a cleft palate. Thanks in advance.
>
> I can't tell you the side effects but working in a poverty school we often
> have kids that accidentally have extra shots OR have them too close so they
> HAVE to have a 4th Heb B shot. The nurse at school (not a typical school
> nurse), doesn't think that it would be an issue as the parents who have had
> them too close question the same thing. I certainly would check with the
> local university maybe and ask to speak to the department of infectious
> diseases (which is what it is supposed to be suppressing). See what the
> chairman's take on it might be. They truly are usually up to speed on the
> information. I think that I would not go into a great detail except for
> telling him that you know of a child that had a 4th Hep B shot and what are
> the long term effects of "extra" shots.

Here is the BC Centre for Disease Control website with their contact
numbers:

http://www.bccdc.org/content.php?item=78

A little further down the page is the contact information for BC
Hepatitis Services

HTH,

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

DeliciousTruffles
September 27th 03, 08:52 PM
shirley wrote:

> Leslie wrote:
>> This is totally OT, but I'm wondering if anyone has any information I could
>> pass on to my sister. She and her family live in BC, Canada. Her son was
>> mistakenly given the shot for Hepatitis B immunization at school when he had
>> already received the set of 3 shots here in the states. Needless to say, my
>> sister is quite upset since she had filled out the "refuse" paperwork. So My
>> question...does anyone know of any side effects of such a thing? All she
>> has found so far are possible side effects getting the immunization in
>> general, but not getting an extra one. If it's important to this question,
>> he also has a genetic disorder, Osteogenesis Imperfecta (Brittle Bone
>> disease) and was born with a cleft palate. Thanks in advance.
>
> I can't tell you the side effects but working in a poverty school we often
> have kids that accidentally have extra shots OR have them too close so they
> HAVE to have a 4th Heb B shot. The nurse at school (not a typical school
> nurse), doesn't think that it would be an issue as the parents who have had
> them too close question the same thing. I certainly would check with the
> local university maybe and ask to speak to the department of infectious
> diseases (which is what it is supposed to be suppressing). See what the
> chairman's take on it might be. They truly are usually up to speed on the
> information. I think that I would not go into a great detail except for
> telling him that you know of a child that had a 4th Hep B shot and what are
> the long term effects of "extra" shots.

Here is the BC Centre for Disease Control website with their contact
numbers:

http://www.bccdc.org/content.php?item=78

A little further down the page is the contact information for BC
Hepatitis Services

HTH,

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Leslie
September 29th 03, 05:23 PM
Thanks Brigitte, Shirley, and everyone else. I've passed all these messages
on to my sister.

--
Leslie
Alex and Jordan, 06 May 2000