PDA

View Full Version : Kids and cavities

Julie Seely
October 1st 03, 03:35 AM
Hi, all --

Chris has awful teeth -- six cavities at his last checkup in May. I had
always figured that cavities in baby teeth would just be watched, but
his dentist said that all six had to be filled. So, to those of you
with kids with cavities, does your dentist ever just take a "watchful
waiting" approach? Chris has already had all six teeth filled, but I'm
wondering for future reference.

Next question: one of his back teeth (not the two year molar, but the
next one toward the front -- "B" for anyone who knows the mouth diagram)
was filled and then abscessed. The dentist says that tooth needs to be
extracted, and we have an appointment scheduled for two weeks from now
for this, but I keep wondering whether this is something that a root
canal might fix?

I know zilch about dentistry, and feel like I'm pretty much at the mercy
of the dentist. Anyone out there have any words of wisdom?

Julie
Mom to Erica & Chris, 07/97

shirley
October 1st 03, 10:25 PM
You can't do root canal on kids teeth, they call it a pulpotomy (sp?). It's
scrapping the pulp out of the tooth but extraction is only due usually to
the abscess. Yes, you need the tooth for the adult teeth to follow behind
but it also needs to be there because of the spacing issue. If it's the
last tooth, I would not worry now. As far as the cavities, does the child
brush himself or do you do it for him. My DH is a retired dentist and
professor of dentistry (25 years of teaching/practicing), I was an assistant
and my twins have braces. We still brush their teeth (at 8.5). We have
electric brushes, expensive and cheap, they floss and neither have cavities.
Each dentist I've worked for (also worked at Northwestern Dental School for
5 years), have given advice to parents that you don't let them brush UNTIL
you are ready to pay for the dental work. Brush, brush, brush. Limit the
gooey stuff, raisins, white bread, and other stuff. Cavities grow in a
triangle form. By the time you see it, it's already huge under the pinhole
that is seen. So even a pin point needs care, and every 6 months is a must
for kids especially. That way they can get the cavities under control
before they get abscessed. Also sealents and fluoride treatments are great
(I know there are those of you who are anti fluoride but seal the teeth with
the plastic covers that are offered on the back teeth and you will save a
huge amount of time and money). Anyhow, it sounds as if your dentist is on
the right track.

Good luck and happy brushing.

Shirley

"GandSBrock" > wrote in message
> [...]

the right track.

Good luck and happy brushing.

Shirley

"GandSBrock" > wrote in message
> We haven't had our first dentist appointment yet! Yikes. It's coming up
this
> month. So I don't have any words of wisdom. But I do know with adults
> dentists "watch" spots on your teeth. I guess they wait for them to
become
> full blown cavities, I don't know.
>
> I would question the extraction, just because don't you need the baby
teeth in
> place to keep everything aligned for the adult teeth to come in the right
way?
> But I also think a root canal is pretty drastic, I'm sure the extraction
would
> be easier. I would ask him about the consequences of that tooth being

Julie Seely
October 2nd 03, 01:20 AM
Thanks Shirley (and Stephanie) --

The kids brush themselves now, though I may start doing it for them once
a day again. It is definitely one of those hindsight is 20/20 things.
That said, Erica's teeth are (knock on wood) fine.

The dentist said that after the back tooth is extracted, they would put
a "spacer" (?) in so that the teeth wouldn't shift.

And yes, I *definitely* plan on having their teeth sealed. Chris'
6-year molars are in, but not quite all of the way yet.

We live in a rural area and the water is not fluoridated; we have a tiny
bit of fluoride in our well water, but not much. Fluoride drops were
prescribed, but since Chris drinks milk all day, it has always been hard
to find a time to give him the fluoride, as it can't be given within two
hours of milk.

I guess my major question then would be whether a tooth that has
abscessed could be "saved" via pulpotomy. Is the pulpotomy more
traumatic than extraction? It seems to me that he's going to have seven
years of careful eating, what with missing a tooth on one side, and that
having something -- anything -- there would be preferable. Yes? No?
Anyone out there with experience?

Julie

shirley wrote:

> You can't do root canal on kids teeth, they call it a pulpotomy (sp?). It's
> scrapping the pulp out of the tooth but extraction is only due usually to
> the abscess. Yes, you need the tooth for the adult teeth to follow behind
> but it also needs to be there because of the spacing issue. If it's the
> last tooth, I would not worry now. As far as the cavities, does the child
> brush himself or do you do it for him. My DH is a retired dentist and
> professor of dentistry (25 years of teaching/practicing), I was an assistant
> and my twins have braces. We still brush their teeth (at 8.5). We have
> electric brushes, expensive and cheap, they floss and neither have cavities.
> Each dentist I've worked for (also worked at Northwestern Dental School for
> 5 years), have given advice to parents that you don't let them brush UNTIL
> you are ready to pay for the dental work. Brush, brush, brush. Limit the
> gooey stuff, raisins, white bread, and other stuff. Cavities grow in a
> triangle form. By the time you see it, it's already huge under the pinhole
> that is seen. So even a pin point needs care, and every 6 months is a must
> for kids especially. That way they can get the cavities under control
> before they get abscessed. Also sealents and fluoride treatments are great
> (I know there are those of you who are anti fluoride but seal the teeth with
> the plastic covers that are offered on the back teeth and you will save a
> huge amount of time and money). Anyhow, it sounds as if your dentist is on
> the right track.
>
> Good luck and happy brushing.
>
> Shirley
>
> "GandSBrock" > wrote in message
> > We haven't had our first dentist appointment yet! Yikes. It's coming up
> this
> > month. So I don't have any words of wisdom. But I do know with adults
> > dentists "watch" spots on your teeth. I guess they wait for them to
> become
> > full blown cavities, I don't know.
> >
> > I would question the extraction, just because don't you need the baby
> teeth in
> > place to keep everything aligned for the adult teeth to come in the right
> way?
> > But I also think a root canal is pretty drastic, I'm sure the extraction
> would
> > be easier. I would ask him about the consequences of that tooth being
> absent.
> >
> > Stephanie
> > Jake and Ryan 9/3/99

shirley
October 2nd 03, 01:53 AM
Julie, I'll ask my DH about your question. I know a lot of the peripheral
things about dentistry but the very specifics (pulp vs. extraction) is his
domain. He's teaching tonight so I'll grab him tomorrow afternoon to get
your question answered.

Shirley

"Julie Seely" > wrote in message
> [...]

> > "GandSBrock" > wrote in message
> > > We haven't had our first dentist appointment yet! Yikes. It's coming
up
> > this
> > > month. So I don't have any words of wisdom. But I do know with
adults
> > > dentists "watch" spots on your teeth. I guess they wait for them to
> > become
> > > full blown cavities, I don't know.
> > >
> > > I would question the extraction, just because don't you need the baby
> > teeth in
> > > place to keep everything aligned for the adult teeth to come in the
right
> > way?
> > > But I also think a root canal is pretty drastic, I'm sure the
extraction
> > would
> > > be easier. I would ask him about the consequences of that tooth being

Julie Seely
October 2nd 03, 12:34 PM
Thanks, David. I'll stop worrying about the calcium thing. It can't be
too late for the 12-years and the wisdom teeth yet, I hope!

Julie

David desJardins wrote:

> Julie Seely writes:
> > We live in a rural area and the water is not fluoridated; we have a
> > tiny bit of fluoride in our well water, but not much. Fluoride drops
> > were prescribed, but since Chris drinks milk all day, it has always
> > been hard to find a time to give him the fluoride, as it can't be
> > given within two hours of milk.
>
> I wouldn't worry about this so much. Calcium does interfere with the
> absorption of fluoride, which is why the instructions say to avoid
> giving the fluoride with milk, but it's certainly much better to take
> the fluoride and have its effectiveness be slightly reduced, than to not
> take it at all. The combination of fluoride with milk isn't going to do
> you any harm. In fact, several successful studies have shown that
> fluoridated milk can be effective in preventing tooth decay, in children
> not receiving fluoride from other sources.
>
> David desJardins

Julie Seely
October 2nd 03, 12:35 PM
Thanks, Shirley!

shirley wrote:

> [...]
> UNTIL
> > > you are ready to pay for the dental work. Brush, brush, brush. Limit
> the
> > > gooey stuff, raisins, white bread, and other stuff. Cavities grow in a
> > > triangle form. By the time you see it, it's already huge under the
> pinhole
> > > that is seen. So even a pin point needs care, and every 6 months is a
> must
> > > for kids especially. That way they can get the cavities under control
> > > before they get abscessed. Also sealents and fluoride treatments are
> great
> > > (I know there are those of you who are anti fluoride but seal the teeth
> with
> > > the plastic covers that are offered on the back teeth and you will save
> > > huge amount of time and money). Anyhow, it sounds as if your dentist is

Julie Seely
October 2nd 03, 12:35 PM
Thanks, Shirley!

shirley wrote:

> [...]
> UNTIL
> > > you are ready to pay for the dental work. Brush, brush, brush. Limit
> the
> > > gooey stuff, raisins, white bread, and other stuff. Cavities grow in a
> > > triangle form. By the time you see it, it's already huge under the
> pinhole
> > > that is seen. So even a pin point needs care, and every 6 months is a
> must
> > > for kids especially. That way they can get the cavities under control
> > > before they get abscessed. Also sealents and fluoride treatments are
> great
> > > (I know there are those of you who are anti fluoride but seal the teeth
> with
> > > the plastic covers that are offered on the back teeth and you will save
> > > huge amount of time and money). Anyhow, it sounds as if your dentist is

shirley
October 2nd 03, 11:25 PM
My DH said "a puplotomy is done only on a tooth that is vital or almost
vital, once they are necrotic (abscessed) that procedure doesn't work."

Hope this helps.

Shirley

"shirley" > wrote in message
> [...]
> > > you are ready to pay for the dental work. Brush, brush, brush. Limit
> the
> > > gooey stuff, raisins, white bread, and other stuff. Cavities grow in
> > > triangle form. By the time you see it, it's already huge under the
> pinhole
> > > that is seen. So even a pin point needs care, and every 6 months is a
> must
> > > for kids especially. That way they can get the cavities under control
> > > before they get abscessed. Also sealents and fluoride treatments are
> great
> > > (I know there are those of you who are anti fluoride but seal the
teeth
> with
> > > the plastic covers that are offered on the back teeth and you will
save
> > > huge amount of time and money). Anyhow, it sounds as if your dentist

multimom4
October 5th 03, 12:36 AM
David -- Are you sure fluoride + milk doesn't promote discoloration of the
teeth? Our ped's office has always been *very* insistent on the 2 hour gap
(not that we followed it) because of potential grey/yellow/whatever in the
permanent teeth?? And now our kids' permanent teeth are coming in, they are
not terribly white which could be natural or my fault ....

--Janet
Elliot, Hanna, Connor (10/21/96)
and Holly (4/4/01)

"David desJardins" > wrote in message
> Julie Seely writes:
> > We live in a rural area and the water is not fluoridated; we have a
> > tiny bit of fluoride in our well water, but not much. Fluoride drops
> > were prescribed, but since Chris drinks milk all day, it has always
> > been hard to find a time to give him the fluoride, as it can't be
> > given within two hours of milk.
>
> I wouldn't worry about this so much. Calcium does interfere with the
> absorption of fluoride, which is why the instructions say to avoid
> giving the fluoride with milk, but it's certainly much better to take
> the fluoride and have its effectiveness be slightly reduced, than to not
> take it at all. The combination of fluoride with milk isn't going to do
> you any harm. In fact, several successful studies have shown that
> fluoridated milk can be effective in preventing tooth decay, in children
> not receiving fluoride from other sources.
>
> David desJardins

multimom4
October 5th 03, 12:36 AM
David -- Are you sure fluoride + milk doesn't promote discoloration of the
teeth? Our ped's office has always been *very* insistent on the 2 hour gap
(not that we followed it) because of potential grey/yellow/whatever in the
permanent teeth?? And now our kids' permanent teeth are coming in, they are
not terribly white which could be natural or my fault ....

--Janet
Elliot, Hanna, Connor (10/21/96)
and Holly (4/4/01)

"David desJardins" > wrote in message
> Julie Seely writes:
> > We live in a rural area and the water is not fluoridated; we have a
> > tiny bit of fluoride in our well water, but not much. Fluoride drops
> > were prescribed, but since Chris drinks milk all day, it has always
> > been hard to find a time to give him the fluoride, as it can't be
> > given within two hours of milk.
>
> I wouldn't worry about this so much. Calcium does interfere with the
> absorption of fluoride, which is why the instructions say to avoid
> giving the fluoride with milk, but it's certainly much better to take
> the fluoride and have its effectiveness be slightly reduced, than to not
> take it at all. The combination of fluoride with milk isn't going to do
> you any harm. In fact, several successful studies have shown that
> fluoridated milk can be effective in preventing tooth decay, in children
> not receiving fluoride from other sources.
>
> David desJardins

David desJardins
October 5th 03, 01:08 AM
Janet writes:
> David -- Are you sure fluoride + milk doesn't promote discoloration of
> the teeth? Our ped's office has always been *very* insistent on the 2
> hour gap (not that we followed it) because of potential
> grey/yellow/whatever in the permanent teeth??

I've never heard any such thing, and I can't find any mention of it on
the web. So I'm doubtful. Do they have any reference to this supposed
effect?

> And now our kids' permanent teeth are coming in, they are not terribly
> white which could be natural or my fault ....

Well, fluoride certainly can discolor teeth to some extent, regardless
of whether it's taken with or without milk. Personally I don't see the
big deal: you can chew just as well, whatever color your teeth are.
Some people are extremely vain, though.

David desJardins

David desJardins
October 5th 03, 01:08 AM
Janet writes:
> David -- Are you sure fluoride + milk doesn't promote discoloration of
> the teeth? Our ped's office has always been *very* insistent on the 2
> hour gap (not that we followed it) because of potential
> grey/yellow/whatever in the permanent teeth??

I've never heard any such thing, and I can't find any mention of it on
the web. So I'm doubtful. Do they have any reference to this supposed
effect?

> And now our kids' permanent teeth are coming in, they are not terribly
> white which could be natural or my fault ....

Well, fluoride certainly can discolor teeth to some extent, regardless
of whether it's taken with or without milk. Personally I don't see the
big deal: you can chew just as well, whatever color your teeth are.
Some people are extremely vain, though.

David desJardins

Kender
October 6th 03, 01:04 AM
"multimom4" > wrote in message
> David -- Are you sure fluoride + milk doesn't promote discoloration of the
> teeth? Our ped's office has always been *very* insistent on the 2 hour
gap
> (not that we followed it) because of potential grey/yellow/whatever in the
> permanent teeth?? And now our kids' permanent teeth are coming in, they
are
> not terribly white which could be natural or my fault ....
>
> --Janet
> Elliot, Hanna, Connor (10/21/96)
> and Holly (4/4/01)

It's not your fault. Permanent teeth are just a different color then baby
teeth. Baby teeth are very white and like glass, says our dentist. We have
three kids and no cavities. When the girls went the other day the dentist
told me that if kids don't get a cavity in their baby teeth by four years
old they probably won't get one at all (in their baby teeth). Interesting.
We have one friend who's daughter has 8 cavities and she's only 6 years old.
Morgan is going in next month to have her 6 year molars sealed. I'll let you
all know how it goes. Luckily it's covered by insurance.

--
Erin
Morgan and Megan 2/15/97

Kender
October 6th 03, 01:04 AM
"multimom4" > wrote in message
> David -- Are you sure fluoride + milk doesn't promote discoloration of the
> teeth? Our ped's office has always been *very* insistent on the 2 hour
gap
> (not that we followed it) because of potential grey/yellow/whatever in the
> permanent teeth?? And now our kids' permanent teeth are coming in, they
are
> not terribly white which could be natural or my fault ....
>
> --Janet
> Elliot, Hanna, Connor (10/21/96)
> and Holly (4/4/01)

It's not your fault. Permanent teeth are just a different color then baby
teeth. Baby teeth are very white and like glass, says our dentist. We have
three kids and no cavities. When the girls went the other day the dentist
told me that if kids don't get a cavity in their baby teeth by four years
old they probably won't get one at all (in their baby teeth). Interesting.
We have one friend who's daughter has 8 cavities and she's only 6 years old.
Morgan is going in next month to have her 6 year molars sealed. I'll let you
all know how it goes. Luckily it's covered by insurance.

--
Erin
Morgan and Megan 2/15/97
Evan 5/14/00

shirley
October 6th 03, 01:28 AM
Sealing takes about 30 minutes and is totally painless. We had Chris's
sealed but not Kathleen's. Chris has the most unusual geography on his
molars, tons of pits and grooves that are very difficult to clean, even with
an explorer but Kathleen's almost perfectly smooth which can be cleaned very
well and easily. Neither have cavities either but both have braces.
Brushing is a bit more difficult now.

Also, Kathleen has never had fluoride drops (as suggested by the Chairman of
Pedo at my DH's dental school), and does have fluoridosis (tooth staining).
She was not medicated (another reason it occurs), as a baby or toddler but
she still has a few spots on her teeth. Go figure - even our dentist has no
clue.

Shirley
Chris and Kathleen 1/95

"Kender" > wrote in message
> "multimom4" > wrote in message
> > David -- Are you sure fluoride + milk doesn't promote discoloration of
the
> > teeth? Our ped's office has always been *very* insistent on the 2 hour
> gap
> > (not that we followed it) because of potential grey/yellow/whatever in
the
> > permanent teeth?? And now our kids' permanent teeth are coming in, they
> are
> > not terribly white which could be natural or my fault ....
> >
> > --Janet
> > Elliot, Hanna, Connor (10/21/96)
> > and Holly (4/4/01)
>
> It's not your fault. Permanent teeth are just a different color then baby
> teeth. Baby teeth are very white and like glass, says our dentist. We have
> three kids and no cavities. When the girls went the other day the dentist
> told me that if kids don't get a cavity in their baby teeth by four years
> old they probably won't get one at all (in their baby teeth). Interesting.
> We have one friend who's daughter has 8 cavities and she's only 6 years
old.
> Morgan is going in next month to have her 6 year molars sealed. I'll let
you
> all know how it goes. Luckily it's covered by insurance.
>
> --
> Erin
> Morgan and Megan 2/15/97
> Evan 5/14/00

nyscof
October 6th 03, 11:45 AM
"shirley" > wrote in message news:<ZG2gb.694496$uu5.113747@sccrnsc04>...
> Sealing takes about 30 minutes and is totally painless. We had Chris's
> sealed but not Kathleen's. Chris has the most unusual geography on his
> molars, tons of pits and grooves that are very difficult to clean, even with
> an explorer but Kathleen's almost perfectly smooth which can be cleaned very
> well and easily. Neither have cavities either but both have braces.
> Brushing is a bit more difficult now.
>
> Also, Kathleen has never had fluoride drops (as suggested by the Chairman of
> Pedo at my DH's dental school), and does have fluoridosis (tooth staining).
> She was not medicated (another reason it occurs), as a baby or toddler but
> she still has a few spots on her teeth. Go figure - even our dentist has no
> clue.
>
> Shirley
> Chris and Kathleen 1/95

Many common foods have high enough levels of fluoride to cause
fluorosis.
Baby chicken food, made from mechanically deboned chicken, is one -
because bone stores fluoride (as do teeth) and the mechanically
deboning process invariably gets bone dust in the finished product.
The same is for all mechanically deboned meats that make formed
products such as hot dogs, mcNuggets, vienna sausages, etc. but
chicken products show the highest amount.

Grape juices have very high levels of fluoride because of fluoride
containing pesticide residues. Juices made from skin-removed grapes
are better for kids. Many fruit juices and sodas have as much fluoride
as that of the tap water used to make it.

Tea and tuna fish are two foods with very high fluoride content. And
most all foods (in the highly fluoridated US, anyway) have some level
of fluoride.
Here's a website that lists some:

http://bruha.com/pfpc/html/f-_in_food.html

Dentist/researchers report that children who eat foods regularly with
high fluoride content can get fluorosis even if their water supply
isn't fluoridated and even if they aren't fed fluoride supplements.

Other surprising sources of fluoride are air pollution, ocean mist and
medicines.

In fact, it's virtually impossible to consume a fluoride-free diet.

New York State Coalition Opposed to Fluoridation
http://www.orgsites.com/ny/nyscof
http://tinyurl.com/ad9k

Fluoride Action Network
http://www.fluoridealert.org

nyscof
October 6th 03, 11:45 AM
"shirley" > wrote in message news:<ZG2gb.694496$uu5.113747@sccrnsc04>...
> Sealing takes about 30 minutes and is totally painless. We had Chris's
> sealed but not Kathleen's. Chris has the most unusual geography on his
> molars, tons of pits and grooves that are very difficult to clean, even with
> an explorer but Kathleen's almost perfectly smooth which can be cleaned very
> well and easily. Neither have cavities either but both have braces.
> Brushing is a bit more difficult now.
>
> Also, Kathleen has never had fluoride drops (as suggested by the Chairman of
> Pedo at my DH's dental school), and does have fluoridosis (tooth staining).
> She was not medicated (another reason it occurs), as a baby or toddler but
> she still has a few spots on her teeth. Go figure - even our dentist has no
> clue.
>
> Shirley
> Chris and Kathleen 1/95

Many common foods have high enough levels of fluoride to cause
fluorosis.
Baby chicken food, made from mechanically deboned chicken, is one -
because bone stores fluoride (as do teeth) and the mechanically
deboning process invariably gets bone dust in the finished product.
The same is for all mechanically deboned meats that make formed
products such as hot dogs, mcNuggets, vienna sausages, etc. but
chicken products show the highest amount.

Grape juices have very high levels of fluoride because of fluoride
containing pesticide residues. Juices made from skin-removed grapes
are better for kids. Many fruit juices and sodas have as much fluoride
as that of the tap water used to make it.

Tea and tuna fish are two foods with very high fluoride content. And
most all foods (in the highly fluoridated US, anyway) have some level
of fluoride.
Here's a website that lists some:

http://bruha.com/pfpc/html/f-_in_food.html

Dentist/researchers report that children who eat foods regularly with
high fluoride content can get fluorosis even if their water supply
isn't fluoridated and even if they aren't fed fluoride supplements.

Other surprising sources of fluoride are air pollution, ocean mist and
medicines.

In fact, it's virtually impossible to consume a fluoride-free diet.

New York State Coalition Opposed to Fluoridation
http://www.orgsites.com/ny/nyscof
http://tinyurl.com/ad9k

Fluoride Action Network
http://www.fluoridealert.org

Julie Seely
October 6th 03, 08:38 PM
Janet --

I was told that the two hour rule was related to the fluoride bonding
with the calcium in the milk and being flushed from the body. My
understanding is that, as mentioned by others, discoloration is caused
by too much fluoride.

Julie

multimom4 wrote:

> David -- Are you sure fluoride + milk doesn't promote discoloration of the
> teeth? Our ped's office has always been *very* insistent on the 2 hour gap
> (not that we followed it) because of potential grey/yellow/whatever in the
> permanent teeth?? And now our kids' permanent teeth are coming in, they are
> not terribly white which could be natural or my fault ....
>
> --Janet
> Elliot, Hanna, Connor (10/21/96)
> and Holly (4/4/01)
>
> "David desJardins" > wrote in message
> > Julie Seely writes:
> > > We live in a rural area and the water is not fluoridated; we have a
> > > tiny bit of fluoride in our well water, but not much. Fluoride drops
> > > were prescribed, but since Chris drinks milk all day, it has always
> > > been hard to find a time to give him the fluoride, as it can't be
> > > given within two hours of milk.
> >
> > I wouldn't worry about this so much. Calcium does interfere with the
> > absorption of fluoride, which is why the instructions say to avoid
> > giving the fluoride with milk, but it's certainly much better to take
> > the fluoride and have its effectiveness be slightly reduced, than to not
> > take it at all. The combination of fluoride with milk isn't going to do
> > you any harm. In fact, several successful studies have shown that
> > fluoridated milk can be effective in preventing tooth decay, in children
> > not receiving fluoride from other sources.
> >
> > David desJardins

Julie Seely
October 6th 03, 08:39 PM
Shirley --

I wanted to thank you earlier for your informative reply, but our news
server has been down since Friday. So belatedly, thank you! I feel
much better now about having the inevitable done.

Julie

shirley wrote:

> My DH said "a puplotomy is done only on a tooth that is vital or almost
> vital, once they are necrotic (abscessed) that procedure doesn't work."
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Shirley
>
> "shirley" > wrote in message
> > Julie, I'll ask my DH about your question. I know a lot of the peripheral
> > things about dentistry but the very specifics (pulp vs. extraction) is his
> > domain. He's teaching tonight so I'll grab him tomorrow afternoon to get
> > your question answered.
> >
> > Shirley
> >
> > "Julie Seely" > wrote in message
> > > Thanks Shirley (and Stephanie) --
> > >
> > > The kids brush themselves now, though I may start doing it for them once
> > > a day again. It is definitely one of those hindsight is 20/20 things.
> > > That said, Erica's teeth are (knock on wood) fine.
> > >
> > > The dentist said that after the back tooth is extracted, they would put
> > > a "spacer" (?) in so that the teeth wouldn't shift.
> > >
> > > And yes, I *definitely* plan on having their teeth sealed. Chris'
> > > 6-year molars are in, but not quite all of the way yet.
> > >
> > > We live in a rural area and the water is not fluoridated; we have a tiny
> > > bit of fluoride in our well water, but not much. Fluoride drops were
> > > prescribed, but since Chris drinks milk all day, it has always been hard
> > > to find a time to give him the fluoride, as it can't be given within two
> > > hours of milk.
> > >
> > > I guess my major question then would be whether a tooth that has
> > > abscessed could be "saved" via pulpotomy. Is the pulpotomy more
> > > traumatic than extraction? It seems to me that he's going to have seven
> > > years of careful eating, what with missing a tooth on one side, and that
> > > having something -- anything -- there would be preferable. Yes? No?
> > > Anyone out there with experience?
> > >
> > > Julie

> > It's
> > behind
> the
> > child
> > assistant
> have
> > cavities.
> School
> > for
> > UNTIL
> > the
> > pinhole
> > must
> > great
> teeth
> > with
> save
> is
> > on

> coming
> > up
> > adults

> baby
> > right
> > extraction
> being

multimom4
October 6th 03, 08:43 PM
"David desJardins" > wrote in message
> Janet writes:
> > David -- Are you sure fluoride + milk doesn't promote discoloration of
> > the teeth? Our ped's office has always been *very* insistent on the 2
> > hour gap (not that we followed it) because of potential
> > grey/yellow/whatever in the permanent teeth??
>
> I've never heard any such thing, and I can't find any mention of it on
> the web. So I'm doubtful. Do they have any reference to this supposed
> effect?

I never asked -- the leaflet in the box says 2 hours and they told me it was
for color and absorption, so I left it at that.

Personally I don't see the
> big deal: you can chew just as well, whatever color your teeth are.
> Some people are extremely vain, though.

I don't really think it's vain to wish my kids' teeth to be as pretty as
they can be. I'm not talking minor discolor -- the change from the color of
their baby teeth is *huge* so I was wondering if ongoing mega discoloration
with all the teeth is likely. It's the same as when I cut Holly's head open
right by her eye and I spent a day tracking down a plastic surgeon rather
than risking a scar by having one of the peds. do it. The peds. told me
there was no guarantee they could do a good job because of the way the cut
ran / depth /etc and as she's a girl the time seemed well spent (and was,
since she now has no scar whatsoever). Similarly, I've worked very hard on
brushing etc and it's a shame if it's all gonna go to waste because we
couldn't always get 2 hours away from milk. So I was just curious.

--Janet
Elliot, Hanna, Connor (10/21/96)
and Holly (4/4/01)

multimom4
October 6th 03, 08:43 PM
"David desJardins" > wrote in message
> Janet writes:
> > David -- Are you sure fluoride + milk doesn't promote discoloration of
> > the teeth? Our ped's office has always been *very* insistent on the 2
> > hour gap (not that we followed it) because of potential
> > grey/yellow/whatever in the permanent teeth??
>
> I've never heard any such thing, and I can't find any mention of it on
> the web. So I'm doubtful. Do they have any reference to this supposed
> effect?

I never asked -- the leaflet in the box says 2 hours and they told me it was
for color and absorption, so I left it at that.

Personally I don't see the
> big deal: you can chew just as well, whatever color your teeth are.
> Some people are extremely vain, though.

I don't really think it's vain to wish my kids' teeth to be as pretty as
they can be. I'm not talking minor discolor -- the change from the color of
their baby teeth is *huge* so I was wondering if ongoing mega discoloration
with all the teeth is likely. It's the same as when I cut Holly's head open
right by her eye and I spent a day tracking down a plastic surgeon rather
than risking a scar by having one of the peds. do it. The peds. told me
there was no guarantee they could do a good job because of the way the cut
ran / depth /etc and as she's a girl the time seemed well spent (and was,
since she now has no scar whatsoever). Similarly, I've worked very hard on
brushing etc and it's a shame if it's all gonna go to waste because we
couldn't always get 2 hours away from milk. So I was just curious.

--Janet
Elliot, Hanna, Connor (10/21/96)
and Holly (4/4/01)

multimom4
October 6th 03, 09:13 PM
Thanks Julie -- as Erin said, the dentist told me that there is almost
always a major color difference between baby and permanent teeth. But it's
nice to know that it's not my fault.

<crossing Mommy Guilt #4,627 off my list>
--Janet
Elliot, Hanna, Connor (10/21/96)
and Holly (4/4/01)

> [...]

are
> > not terribly white which could be natural or my fault ....
> >
> > --Janet
> > Elliot, Hanna, Connor (10/21/96)
> > and Holly (4/4/01)

> > > I wouldn't worry about this so much. Calcium does interfere with the
> > > absorption of fluoride, which is why the instructions say to avoid
> > > giving the fluoride with milk, but it's certainly much better to take
> > > the fluoride and have its effectiveness be slightly reduced, than to
not
> > > take it at all. The combination of fluoride with milk isn't going to
do
> > > you any harm. In fact, several successful studies have shown that
> > > fluoridated milk can be effective in preventing tooth decay, in
children
> > > not receiving fluoride from other sources.

David desJardins
October 6th 03, 09:45 PM
Janet writes:
> I don't really think it's vain to wish my kids' teeth to be as pretty
> as they can be.

You're right. I only wanted to say "concerned with appearance", but
"vain" doesn't really mean that, so it wasn't a good choice of language
on my part. I apologize.

What I meant to say is: "I don't much care what color my children's
teeth are, but I know that some people are much more concerned with
appearance than I am." I don't want to imply that that's good or bad.
I don't think there's an English word that means "concerned with one's
appearance", that doesn't also carry a negative connotation.

> It's the same as when I cut Holly's head open right by her eye and I
> spent a day tracking down a plastic surgeon rather than risking a scar
> by having one of the peds. do it.

My daughter has a little scar on her forehead from the intrauterine
heart monitor when she was born. I'm assuming it's permanent, at this
point. I'm sure this would bother some people; to me it's just a part
of her appearance. I don't really see "smooth skin" as any better or
worse than "scar tissue", unless it's so excessive that it interferes
with seeing a person's features.

For that matter, I know someone who was burned over his whole body, and
is completely covered in scar tissue. He's lost a lot of function
(e.g., he only has the first joints on his fingers), and that certainly
is a Big Deal, but the fact that he looks a little different than most
people, well, it just doesn't seem like that big a deal.

But these are all purely subjective matters, and there's no reason that
other people can't feel completely differently than I do, and that's
perfectly reasonable too.

David desJardins

David desJardins
October 6th 03, 09:45 PM
Janet writes:
> I don't really think it's vain to wish my kids' teeth to be as pretty
> as they can be.

You're right. I only wanted to say "concerned with appearance", but
"vain" doesn't really mean that, so it wasn't a good choice of language
on my part. I apologize.

What I meant to say is: "I don't much care what color my children's
teeth are, but I know that some people are much more concerned with
appearance than I am." I don't want to imply that that's good or bad.
I don't think there's an English word that means "concerned with one's
appearance", that doesn't also carry a negative connotation.

> It's the same as when I cut Holly's head open right by her eye and I
> spent a day tracking down a plastic surgeon rather than risking a scar
> by having one of the peds. do it.

My daughter has a little scar on her forehead from the intrauterine
heart monitor when she was born. I'm assuming it's permanent, at this
point. I'm sure this would bother some people; to me it's just a part
of her appearance. I don't really see "smooth skin" as any better or
worse than "scar tissue", unless it's so excessive that it interferes
with seeing a person's features.

For that matter, I know someone who was burned over his whole body, and
is completely covered in scar tissue. He's lost a lot of function
(e.g., he only has the first joints on his fingers), and that certainly
is a Big Deal, but the fact that he looks a little different than most
people, well, it just doesn't seem like that big a deal.

But these are all purely subjective matters, and there's no reason that
other people can't feel completely differently than I do, and that's
perfectly reasonable too.

David desJardins

GandSBrock
October 7th 03, 12:51 AM
>Thanks Julie -- as Erin said, the dentist told me that there is almost
>always a major color difference between baby and permanent teeth

Thank you for the warning. I didn't know this. Their teeth are just so
beautifully white now.

Now I'm wondering how much is too much flouride exposure? Because Jake and
Ryan do swallow when I brush their teeth. But I only put a tiny, smaller than
a pea, dab on their brushes. They just like the minty flavor. I try to get
them to spit, but it's always too late. They haven't got the concept down yet.

Stephanie
Jake and Ryan 9/3/99

GandSBrock
October 7th 03, 12:51 AM
>Thanks Julie -- as Erin said, the dentist told me that there is almost
>always a major color difference between baby and permanent teeth

Thank you for the warning. I didn't know this. Their teeth are just so
beautifully white now.

Now I'm wondering how much is too much flouride exposure? Because Jake and
Ryan do swallow when I brush their teeth. But I only put a tiny, smaller than
a pea, dab on their brushes. They just like the minty flavor. I try to get
them to spit, but it's always too late. They haven't got the concept down yet.

Stephanie
Jake and Ryan 9/3/99

David desJardins
October 7th 03, 12:56 AM
Stephanie writes:
> Now I'm wondering how much is too much flouride exposure? Because
> Jake and Ryan do swallow when I brush their teeth. But I only put a
> tiny, smaller than a pea, dab on their brushes. They just like the
> minty flavor. I try to get them to spit, but it's always too late.
> They haven't got the concept down yet.

You could always use a non-fluoride toothpaste, if you're concerned. If
they get fluoride from other sources, they don't really need it in their
toothpaste.

But I'm amazed that your kids won't spit. My son, especially, loves to
spit! The problem is getting him to *stop*!

David desJardins

David desJardins
October 7th 03, 12:56 AM
Stephanie writes:
> Now I'm wondering how much is too much flouride exposure? Because
> Jake and Ryan do swallow when I brush their teeth. But I only put a
> tiny, smaller than a pea, dab on their brushes. They just like the
> minty flavor. I try to get them to spit, but it's always too late.
> They haven't got the concept down yet.

You could always use a non-fluoride toothpaste, if you're concerned. If
they get fluoride from other sources, they don't really need it in their
toothpaste.

But I'm amazed that your kids won't spit. My son, especially, loves to
spit! The problem is getting him to *stop*!

David desJardins

GandSBrock
October 7th 03, 04:57 AM
>But I'm amazed that your kids won't spit. My son, especially, loves to
>spit! The problem is getting him to *stop*

Oh, I worded that wrong. They LOVE to spit (if only their aim was good), I
just can't get them to do it before they swallow it! Or they'll grab the
toothbrush, to do it themselves, and start sucking on the bristles! That's why
I use just the smallest of scrapings of toothpaste. The only non-flouride
toothpaste I can find are in the teeny tiny tubes that don't last very long at
all, and they are not minty flavored. I guess we could do it without the
toothpaste, but that makes them upset. Not that I'm trying to cater to their
every whim, but does it really work without something on the toothbrush
anyway??

Hi-ho
hi-ho
it's off to work we go
teaching them how
to spit properly
hi-ho
hi-ho

Stephanie
Jake and Ryan 9/3/99

GandSBrock
October 7th 03, 04:57 AM
>But I'm amazed that your kids won't spit. My son, especially, loves to
>spit! The problem is getting him to *stop*

Oh, I worded that wrong. They LOVE to spit (if only their aim was good), I
just can't get them to do it before they swallow it! Or they'll grab the
toothbrush, to do it themselves, and start sucking on the bristles! That's why
I use just the smallest of scrapings of toothpaste. The only non-flouride
toothpaste I can find are in the teeny tiny tubes that don't last very long at
all, and they are not minty flavored. I guess we could do it without the
toothpaste, but that makes them upset. Not that I'm trying to cater to their
every whim, but does it really work without something on the toothbrush
anyway??

Hi-ho
hi-ho
it's off to work we go
teaching them how
to spit properly
hi-ho
hi-ho

Stephanie
Jake and Ryan 9/3/99

Twinzmommie
October 8th 03, 10:11 PM
<< That's why
I use just the smallest of scrapings of toothpaste. >><BR><BR>

That is actually all they really need. It is the actual brushing of the teeth
that is cleaning them. The paste is not as necessary as most people think, but
it sure does taste good and freshen breath.

By the way.....Hi Stephanie!

Michelle
Mommy to Riley Claire & James Michael
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/r/rileyandjames/

Twinzmommie
October 8th 03, 10:11 PM
<< That's why
I use just the smallest of scrapings of toothpaste. >><BR><BR>

That is actually all they really need. It is the actual brushing of the teeth
that is cleaning them. The paste is not as necessary as most people think, but
it sure does taste good and freshen breath.

By the way.....Hi Stephanie!

Michelle
Mommy to Riley Claire & James Michael
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/r/rileyandjames/

GandSBrock
October 9th 03, 02:49 AM
Hi Michelle,

I just took the boys today for their first checkup and they confirmed what you
said. She said what I was doing was fine. But I need to start flossing them.
And we keep brushing for them until they are around 7 - like everyone has said.

Jake has a cavity that will be filled tomorrow. He has a hole in a molar that
we will fill later - I guess his tooth was formed this way - no cavity or
decay, just a hole exposing the interior? There are several watches on Ryan's
teeth. Lots of other little problems. The doc asked if they had a lot of ear
infections or took a lot of antibiotics when they were babies. I think they
have a lot of thin or missing enamel. I feel horrible about it. I can't
remember the terms he used. Ryan only had 2 ear infections, and Jake hasn't
had any, but he did have that pneumonia at birth that he had a lot of
antibiotics for. I hope their permanent teeth are better.

Ryan agreed to xrays. It was soooo cool to see his secondary teeth. They look
so huge compared to his tiny baby teeth. Ryan's teeth have great spacing and
are perfectly aligned - most likely no braces (if those huge permanent teeth
don't screw it up!). He has my DH's teeth right now, I think the bigun's are
mine. Jake's teeth are tight together and not aligned and a slight overbite.
Definitely braces in the future. Poor kid has my mouth.

Pray for us tomorrow!! We get the Lion King room. Maybe it will be
distracting enough??? Yeah, right!!

[...]

October 9th 03, 03:05 AM
<< Pray for us tomorrow!! We get the Lion King room. Maybe it will be
distracting enough??? Yeah, right!! >><BR><BR>

Certainly! I am sorry that the poor guy has to go through this
Michelle
Mommy to Riley Claire & James Michael
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/r/rileyandjames/

Twinzmommie
October 9th 03, 03:05 AM
<< Pray for us tomorrow!! We get the Lion King room. Maybe it will be
distracting enough??? Yeah, right!! >><BR><BR>

Certainly! I am sorry that the poor guy has to go through this
Michelle
Mommy to Riley Claire & James Michael
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/r/rileyandjames/

shirley
October 9th 03, 12:44 PM
I found that they get sloppier as they get older. They are more rushed to
"do something more fun or go to bed." We are still doing a once or twice a
week brushing for them after they brush. This last checkup with their
orthodontist said their brushing looked great - unlike last time.

As far as the whole goes I had one in my adult molar that didn't get
discovered until my DH tried to do a root canal on me and went "wow". I
think it's just something that happens and it was only on one tooth.

Kathleen had perfect teeth as a baby but once the adult teeth started to
come through she had an underbite whereas Chris has always had my dad's
underbite. So sometimes I don't think you can tell baby teeth alignment
from adult until they start to come in but I pray you won't have to go
through this - if nothing else - two in braces - $$$$.

The rest sounds like your kids are doing just fine and getting good dental
advice.

Shirley
Chris and Kathleen 1/95
> [...]

hasn't
> had any, but he did have that pneumonia at birth that he had a lot of
> antibiotics for. I hope their permanent teeth are better.
>
> Ryan agreed to xrays. It was soooo cool to see his secondary teeth. They
look
> so huge compared to his tiny baby teeth. Ryan's teeth have great spacing
and
> are perfectly aligned - most likely no braces (if those huge permanent
teeth
> don't screw it up!). He has my DH's teeth right now, I think the bigun's
are
> mine. Jake's teeth are tight together and not aligned and a slight
overbite.
> Definitely braces in the future. Poor kid has my mouth.
>
> Pray for us tomorrow!! We get the Lion King room. Maybe it will be

GandSBrock
October 9th 03, 06:22 PM
Shirley, I'm just sitting here imagining that your family has beautifully
aligned, bright white teeth. Is that what it's like to be married to a
dentist?? :-)

Stephanie
Jake and Ryan 9/3/99

GandSBrock
October 9th 03, 06:22 PM
Shirley, I'm just sitting here imagining that your family has beautifully
aligned, bright white teeth. Is that what it's like to be married to a
dentist?? :-)

Stephanie
Jake and Ryan 9/3/99

shirley
October 10th 03, 12:27 AM
Well after 4 years of braces for me (as a kid) and tons of other dental work
I was actually happy to marry a dentist and yes, my teeth finally look great
(though I have to admit the gold in the back throws off the "look").
Kathleen and Chris's teeth are coming along so well and they are looking
good, it's so exciting to see and of all things, yes, my DH has beautiful,
unaltered teeth. His joke is that they used to accuse him of looking in a
mirror to do his models in dental school. I also have to say we all floss
daily and brush more than once a day so it takes continued work to keep the
pearly look.