PDA

View Full Version : Going back into the working world....advice needed

Andrea
October 1st 03, 08:37 PM
I had hoped to stay at home with my girls until they start 5-K, but I will
probably be going back to teaching next school year (beginning of August around
here). I don't want to go back next year, but we need to have insurance
coverage. I feel very lucky to be able to stay at home with them for over 4
years, but I'm really worried about how I'm going to be able to handle the
extra stress. I also know that I'm going to miss being with my kids.

How do you handle the logistics of getting the kids to and from school when
both parents work outside the home? I will have to teach in a public school in
order to get state insurance and retirement benefits, but Jordan & Madison will
be going to a private full-day 4-K. Their school will start at 8:00, but I
will have to be at work around 7:15. Their school day will end at 2:45, but I
will be at work until around 4:00. I guess my options are to try to find a
babysitter who can pick them up from school and watch them, or try to get them
enrolled in a daycare for after school.

I'm just worried about how I'm going to have time to get everything done. When
I taught before I had kids I always felt like I never had any time to get
everything done, so I can imagine it will be a challenge. Other than hiring a
cleaning service to do the major cleaning, are there any other suggestions for
helping to make life easier after I start back to work?

TIA,
Andrea
twin girls-Jordan & Madison
3 yrs. old

Ellen Kmetz
October 2nd 03, 03:56 AM
Hi Andrea,

You may already have checked into this, but our DD's school has "before care"
and "after care". Kids can go I think as early as 7 am and stay until 6. It
costs extra but it's right in the school building. They do homework, have a
snack, etc.

Will the girls have bus service? Our buses make stops at one area daycare
center for those students who are there before and after school. Have you
asked someone at the girls' school what other working moms do? I would think
you are not the only one in the situation as many people cannot wait until 8:00
to leave for work. Maybe there will be another mom in the area who would be
willing to have you take the girls there in the morning and she could drive
them to school. But I know that is hard to arrange as you won't even be
meeting the other moms until after school starts!

I wish you much luck (in advance) as you venture back out into the teaching
world. You should all be sainted...I don't know how you do it!

Ellen
--------
Erin 6/26/95
Bradley & Alex 10/5/00

[...]

October 2nd 03, 04:32 PM
>You may already have checked into this, but our DD's school has "before care"
>and "after care". Kids can go I think as early as 7 am and stay until 6. It
>costs extra but it's right in the school building. They do homework, have a
>snack, etc.

I have thought about that, but I don't think the school has it. I will be
looking into it though at the beginning of next year, just to make sure.

>Will the girls have bus service?

No, no buses for private schools around here. :(

Have you
>asked someone at the girls' school what other working moms do?

All the moms I know who have kids at that school are SAHMs, but I will ask
around to find out what the friends of my friends do.

>I wish you much luck (in advance) as you venture back out into the teaching
>world. You should all be sainted...I don't know how you do it!

Thank you Ellen. My stomach is in knots just thinking about it (not the
teaching part, but the leaving my kids all day part). I think it will be a
huge adjustment for all of us.

Andrea
twin girls-Jordan & Madison
3 yrs. old

Andrea
October 2nd 03, 04:32 PM
>You may already have checked into this, but our DD's school has "before care"
>and "after care". Kids can go I think as early as 7 am and stay until 6. It
>costs extra but it's right in the school building. They do homework, have a
>snack, etc.

I have thought about that, but I don't think the school has it. I will be
looking into it though at the beginning of next year, just to make sure.

>Will the girls have bus service?

No, no buses for private schools around here. :(

Have you
>asked someone at the girls' school what other working moms do?

All the moms I know who have kids at that school are SAHMs, but I will ask
around to find out what the friends of my friends do.

>I wish you much luck (in advance) as you venture back out into the teaching
>world. You should all be sainted...I don't know how you do it!

Thank you Ellen. My stomach is in knots just thinking about it (not the
teaching part, but the leaving my kids all day part). I think it will be a
huge adjustment for all of us.

Andrea
twin girls-Jordan & Madison
3 yrs. old

Leslie
October 3rd 03, 02:51 AM

> All the moms I know who have kids at that school are SAHMs, but I will ask
> around to find out what the friends of my friends do.

Can you ask one of them to watch your kids before and after school? Maybe
even ask a couple people so you can always have a backup. I'm sure all
things will go well. After the transition, things should go smoothly.

--
Leslie
Alex and Jordan, 06 May 2000

Leslie