PDA

View Full Version : Party games ?

multimom4
October 12th 03, 04:48 AM
So here I am having the clever idea that we'd do party games and
Halloween-themed crafts for the party. Crafts are fine -- I got the
supplies and we're all set. Cakes are set (spider cupcakes and black cat
birthday cake, thank you Betty Crocker). "Birthday crowns" will be
Hogwarts-style Sorting Hats. Kids are coming in costume. I have a costume.
I have helpers (at least 6 adults will be here, thank goodness, for the 19
kids). We will have half the kids do crafts while the others do party games
and then swap. Then cake and bye bye.

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE GAMES!!!!!!!

I have a spin thing where you have to pull out a trick slip or a treat slip.
Pass the Parcel
Dunking for apples (is this even allowed in these days of super-health
concerns or is their an alternate??)
Musical chairs
Freeze dance
Treasure Hunt if I have time to set it up ... not quite sure how it would
work

I have bought a semi-serious prize for each kid (tshirt, purse etc.), so
that everyone can win something (and we'll fudge at the end for those that
don't win -- designate them best cat costume or whatever).

I need help from you guys with more or better games -- I am particularly
concerned that the boy guests may be bored and I am afraid being a girl I
may be leaning heavily towards things that only girls will appreciate??

AND what can I use for the tricks?

sing a (short) song -- suggestion of something very short?
count to ten
do five frog jumps
say the alphabet
do five situps?

.... um, um. The kids are all first grade but some of them can't read yet so
I need to keep the commands and the tricks simple and not embarrass anyone.

Finally, what material should I print/write the tricks on so that they are
substantial enough not to get easily lost or torn, but not sticky or
whatever?

And I only have 6 days to finish all the planning and shopping, plus get the
boys some gifts..

HELP?

Thanks again.

--Janet
Elliot, Hanna, Connor (10/21/96)
and Holly (4/4/01)

Nick Theodorakis
October 13th 03, 02:49 PM
On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 03:48:41 GMT, "multimom4"
> wrote:

>So here I am having the clever idea that we'd do party games and
>Halloween-themed crafts for the party. Crafts are fine -- I got the
>supplies and we're all set. Cakes are set (spider cupcakes and black cat
>birthday cake, thank you Betty Crocker). "Birthday crowns" will be
>Hogwarts-style Sorting Hats. Kids are coming in costume. I have a costume.
>I have helpers (at least 6 adults will be here, thank goodness, for the 19
>kids). We will have half the kids do crafts while the others do party games
>and then swap. Then cake and bye bye.
>
>BUT WHAT ABOUT THE GAMES!!!!!!!
>
>I have a spin thing where you have to pull out a trick slip or a treat slip.
>Pass the Parcel
>Dunking for apples (is this even allowed in these days of super-health
>concerns or is their an alternate??)

Better than dunking for Twinkies, I suppose.

You might be able to get some ideas from this site:

<http://www.gameskidsplay.net/>

Nick

--
Nick Theodorakis

nicholas_theodorakis [at] urmc [dot] rochester [dot] edu

Nick Theodorakis
October 13th 03, 02:49 PM
On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 03:48:41 GMT, "multimom4"
> wrote:

>So here I am having the clever idea that we'd do party games and
>Halloween-themed crafts for the party. Crafts are fine -- I got the
>supplies and we're all set. Cakes are set (spider cupcakes and black cat
>birthday cake, thank you Betty Crocker). "Birthday crowns" will be
>Hogwarts-style Sorting Hats. Kids are coming in costume. I have a costume.
>I have helpers (at least 6 adults will be here, thank goodness, for the 19
>kids). We will have half the kids do crafts while the others do party games
>and then swap. Then cake and bye bye.
>
>BUT WHAT ABOUT THE GAMES!!!!!!!
>
>I have a spin thing where you have to pull out a trick slip or a treat slip.
>Pass the Parcel
>Dunking for apples (is this even allowed in these days of super-health
>concerns or is their an alternate??)

Better than dunking for Twinkies, I suppose.

You might be able to get some ideas from this site:

<http://www.gameskidsplay.net/>

Nick

--
Nick Theodorakis

nicholas_theodorakis [at] urmc [dot] rochester [dot] edu

Julie Seely
October 14th 03, 12:48 AM
Janet --

Is this an indoor or outdoor party?

I've done a treasure hunt (outdoor) at the last two parties, and it was
the most popular activity both times (competing w/a pull pinata and
pin-the-tail). The treasures were the goody bags. I wrote about eight
or ten clues (available on request...) consisting of short little poems,
put them into a plastic Easter egg, and hid them at the various
locations. As a time-filler, this year one of the locations had about
100 eggs, 99 of which had a slip of paper inside that said "no" (even
the non-readers could handle that), and one of which had the real clue.
Anyway, if possible, especially if you're having an outdoor party with
lots of room, it's a hit.

A suggestion for an indoor game might be to fill a tray with about 25
various small items (Halloween-themed?), let the kids examine it for 30
seconds or a minute, then remove two of them and see who remembers which
items are missing.

Julie
Mom to Erica & Chris, 07/97

multimom4 wrote:

> So here I am having the clever idea that we'd do party games and
> Halloween-themed crafts for the party. Crafts are fine -- I got the
> supplies and we're all set. Cakes are set (spider cupcakes and black cat
> birthday cake, thank you Betty Crocker). "Birthday crowns" will be
> Hogwarts-style Sorting Hats. Kids are coming in costume. I have a costume.
> I have helpers (at least 6 adults will be here, thank goodness, for the 19
> kids). We will have half the kids do crafts while the others do party games
> and then swap. Then cake and bye bye.
>
> BUT WHAT ABOUT THE GAMES!!!!!!!
>
> I have a spin thing where you have to pull out a trick slip or a treat slip.
> Pass the Parcel
> Dunking for apples (is this even allowed in these days of super-health
> concerns or is their an alternate??)
> Musical chairs
> Freeze dance
> Treasure Hunt if I have time to set it up ... not quite sure how it would
> work
>
> I have bought a semi-serious prize for each kid (tshirt, purse etc.), so
> that everyone can win something (and we'll fudge at the end for those that
> don't win -- designate them best cat costume or whatever).
>
> I need help from you guys with more or better games -- I am particularly
> concerned that the boy guests may be bored and I am afraid being a girl I
> may be leaning heavily towards things that only girls will appreciate??
>
> AND what can I use for the tricks?
>
> sing a (short) song -- suggestion of something very short?
> count to ten
> do five frog jumps
> say the alphabet
> do five situps?
>
> ... um, um. The kids are all first grade but some of them can't read yet so
> I need to keep the commands and the tricks simple and not embarrass anyone.
>
> Finally, what material should I print/write the tricks on so that they are
> substantial enough not to get easily lost or torn, but not sticky or
> whatever?
>
> And I only have 6 days to finish all the planning and shopping, plus get the
> boys some gifts..
>
> HELP?
>
> Thanks again.
>
> --Janet
> Elliot, Hanna, Connor (10/21/96)
> and Holly (4/4/01)

Twinzmommie
October 14th 03, 02:46 AM
Julie,

<< let the kids examine it for 30
seconds or a minute, then remove two of them and see who remembers which
items are missing. >><BR><BR>

<< I've done a treasure hunt (outdoor) at the last two parties, >><BR><BR>

I am so glad I read your response. These both sound like excellent ideas for
party activities. Mine are only 2 now, but I will definitely keep these
suggestions in mind for the future.
Michelle
Mommy to Riley Claire & James Michael

Twinzmommie
October 14th 03, 02:46 AM
Julie,

<< let the kids examine it for 30
seconds or a minute, then remove two of them and see who remembers which
items are missing. >><BR><BR>

<< I've done a treasure hunt (outdoor) at the last two parties, >><BR><BR>

I am so glad I read your response. These both sound like excellent ideas for
party activities. Mine are only 2 now, but I will definitely keep these
suggestions in mind for the future.
Michelle
Mommy to Riley Claire & James Michael

Roland Gutierrez
October 17th 03, 05:17 PM
Hi! I just posted an idea for one game to someone else...please look for
it. It was a HUGE hit at my triplets 4th birthday party, and it was so
inexpensive to make! Sounds like your party will be a BLAST! Have you
considered a Pinata filled with candy? All kids love to practice their
swing trying to get that thing busted and the candy out, ESPECIALLY the
boys!!! Good luck and happy birthday to Elliot, Hanna and Connor!

Roland and Tammy Gutierrez
Zachary, Chase & Evan (4/25/94)
and our 4L'd kids, Mingo & Buddy (4yo and 2yo Keeshonden-BEST DOG BREED IN
THE WORLD!)
Chesapeake, VA