PDA

View Full Version : Who knew...

Megan Byrne
October 20th 03, 10:10 PM
that they would fight this early?? Don't know if this is a vent or quest
for help!

It seems that no matter what one is playing with, the other zooms in
from across the room and wants that same toy. No longer are they content
playing by themselves, they must have what the other has! Yikes! I
didn't think this happened until 'terrible two's'!

My son's screech is getting unbearable, lol, when is he going to toughen
up and defend himself against his "little" sister??

~Megan~
Aidan Matthew & Alexis Valerie
Born September 28, 2002

www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aidannalexis

Twinzmommie
October 20th 03, 11:02 PM
<< Yikes! I
didn't think this happened until 'terrible two's'! >><BR><BR>

Nope! At least not in our house. We have doubles of certain things, but I
just don't think that is always the answer. I mean life just does not work
like that right? That said, I also believe that kids (even one year olds)
should have some things that are just theirs.

Hang in there!

Michelle
Mommy to Riley Claire & James Michael

Twinzmommie
October 20th 03, 11:02 PM
<< Yikes! I
didn't think this happened until 'terrible two's'! >><BR><BR>

Nope! At least not in our house. We have doubles of certain things, but I
just don't think that is always the answer. I mean life just does not work
like that right? That said, I also believe that kids (even one year olds)
should have some things that are just theirs.

Hang in there!

Michelle
Mommy to Riley Claire & James Michael

Seth Jackson
October 21st 03, 12:40 AM
On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 17:10:24 -0400 (EDT),
(Megan Byrne) wrote:

>that they would fight this early?? Don't know if this is a vent or quest
>for help!
>
>It seems that no matter what one is playing with, the other zooms in
>from across the room and wants that same toy. No longer are they content
>playing by themselves, they must have what the other has! Yikes! I
>didn't think this happened until 'terrible two's'!

It happened to us when they were around a year old.
--
-Seth Jackson, proud father of Derek and Mariel(10/1/99). Pictures at:
http://hitmeister.home.mindspring.com/familypictures.htm

Music links: www.mp3.com/SethJackson
www.mp3.com/loudspeaker
www.SethJackson.net

(Megan Byrne) wrote:

>that they would fight this early?? Don't know if this is a vent or quest
>for help!
>
>It seems that no matter what one is playing with, the other zooms in
>from across the room and wants that same toy. No longer are they content
>playing by themselves, they must have what the other has! Yikes! I
>didn't think this happened until 'terrible two's'!

It happened to us when they were around a year old.
--
-Seth Jackson, proud father of Derek and Mariel(10/1/99). Pictures at:
http://hitmeister.home.mindspring.com/familypictures.htm

Music links: www.mp3.com/SethJackson
www.mp3.com/loudspeaker
www.SethJackson.net

Kim
October 21st 03, 03:16 AM
My two have been doing this for some time now - they're almost 20
months old. One does it more than the other. No matter what Xander
has, he want's what Ronan has. He'll go and take it away, and then
Ronan will pick up whatever Xander had, and then - you guessed it!
Xander has to have his original toy back. This even goes on with toys
we have doubles of - doesn't matter that we have two, they must have
the one their brother is playing with! For a while I just let them
deal with it themselves, but it left Ronan crying a lot! Now whenver
someone steals a toy, I take it away and give it back to the original
player. It doesn't stop the crying, but at least I'm trying to teach
them that they can't steal toys. Hasn't worked yet, but I have hope -
they're still young, it hasn't been totally wiped out of my system
yet! :)

Good luck!
Kim
mom to Ronan & Xander
2/26/02

[...]

multimom4
October 21st 03, 04:08 AM
I knew :-)

By about 14 months, I could no longer leave mine unattended long enough to
jump through the shower ... teethmarks in everyone's back if I even went to
the toilet.

This is where you need to start the "ignore the offender and lavish
attention on the victim" stuff. Teach 'em fast and firmly that mean
behavior does *not* buy them want they want. I used to pick up the offender
and dump them in the furthest corner of the room, not near any toys, then
leave them to crawl their way back while I turned my back and calmed /
played with the vic.

Of course, you can't lavish TOO much attention on a whiner ... that leads to
its own problems. So distraction and play rather than too much "poor little
boo boo" is the way to go. :-)

--Janet
Elliot, Hanna, Connor (10/21/96)
and Holly (4/4/01)

"Megan Byrne" > wrote in message
> that they would fight this early?? Don't know if this is a vent or quest
> for help!
>
> It seems that no matter what one is playing with, the other zooms in
> from across the room and wants that same toy. No longer are they content
> playing by themselves, they must have what the other has! Yikes! I
> didn't think this happened until 'terrible two's'!
>
> My son's screech is getting unbearable, lol, when is he going to toughen
> up and defend himself against his "little" sister??
>

> ~Megan~
> Aidan Matthew & Alexis Valerie
> Born September 28, 2002
>
> www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aidannalexis

multimom4
October 21st 03, 04:08 AM
I knew :-)

By about 14 months, I could no longer leave mine unattended long enough to
jump through the shower ... teethmarks in everyone's back if I even went to
the toilet.

This is where you need to start the "ignore the offender and lavish
attention on the victim" stuff. Teach 'em fast and firmly that mean
behavior does *not* buy them want they want. I used to pick up the offender
and dump them in the furthest corner of the room, not near any toys, then
leave them to crawl their way back while I turned my back and calmed /
played with the vic.

Of course, you can't lavish TOO much attention on a whiner ... that leads to
its own problems. So distraction and play rather than too much "poor little
boo boo" is the way to go. :-)

--Janet
Elliot, Hanna, Connor (10/21/96)
and Holly (4/4/01)

"Megan Byrne" > wrote in message
> that they would fight this early?? Don't know if this is a vent or quest
> for help!
>
> It seems that no matter what one is playing with, the other zooms in
> from across the room and wants that same toy. No longer are they content
> playing by themselves, they must have what the other has! Yikes! I
> didn't think this happened until 'terrible two's'!
>
> My son's screech is getting unbearable, lol, when is he going to toughen
> up and defend himself against his "little" sister??
>

> ~Megan~
> Aidan Matthew & Alexis Valerie
> Born September 28, 2002
>
> www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aidannalexis

Twinzmommie
October 21st 03, 03:23 PM
<< This is where you need to start the "ignore the offender and lavish
attention on the victim" stuff. Teach 'em fast and firmly that mean
behavior does *not* buy them want they want. >><BR><BR>

This is what I have been doing for over a year now, and I have to say it is not
bringing the results I had hoped for.

<< Of course, you can't lavish TOO much attention on a whiner ... that leads to
its own problems. >><BR><BR>

Yep. In our case, Riley is 99% of the time the victim and has become a bit of
a whiner. I have since begun the distraction game and keep telling her I can
not understand her when she whines.
Michelle
Mommy to Riley Claire & James Michael

Twinzmommie
October 21st 03, 03:23 PM
<< This is where you need to start the "ignore the offender and lavish
attention on the victim" stuff. Teach 'em fast and firmly that mean
behavior does *not* buy them want they want. >><BR><BR>

This is what I have been doing for over a year now, and I have to say it is not
bringing the results I had hoped for.

<< Of course, you can't lavish TOO much attention on a whiner ... that leads to
its own problems. >><BR><BR>

Yep. In our case, Riley is 99% of the time the victim and has become a bit of
a whiner. I have since begun the distraction game and keep telling her I can
not understand her when she whines.
Michelle
Mommy to Riley Claire & James Michael

Andrea
October 22nd 03, 10:25 PM
Megan-

My girls seemed to be better about this type of thing at 2 than they were at 1
and 1 1/2. So perhaps it will get better in the future rather than worse
(fingers crossed for you). :)

Andrea
twin girls-Madison & Jordan
3 1/2 yrs. old