PDA

View Full Version : When do they start talking???

Kim
October 21st 03, 03:22 AM
I know some day I'm going to be saying 'why did I ever encourage you
to speak', but right now I'm really ready for the boys to start
talking! They are almost 20 months old and just point to things and
say 'da', which is their word for 'that'. It's getting pretty
difficult to determine what they are pointing to. I've tried asking
them what they are pointing to, but they just keep pointing and saying
'da'. I know they're hearing is fine, and they comprehend absolutley
EVERYTHING we say to them. I'm just curious about when they will
actually start using words to describe things.

Any help/advice would be helpful.

Thanks!
Kim
mom to Ronan & Xander
2/26/02

multimom4
October 21st 03, 04:08 AM
Holly *suddenly* leapt from "dat" into speech at almost exactly two. The
others (multiples) were later. Every child is unpredictable and the
frustrating "you want a cookie?" NO "you want your cup?" NO .... etc etc
will continue for a while yet until their speech is not only there but
CLEAR!

--Janet
Elliot, Hanna, Connor (10/21/96)
and Holly (4/4/01)

"Kim" > wrote in message
om...
> I know some day I'm going to be saying 'why did I ever encourage you
> to speak', but right now I'm really ready for the boys to start
> talking! They are almost 20 months old and just point to things and
> say 'da', which is their word for 'that'. It's getting pretty
> difficult to determine what they are pointing to. I've tried asking
> them what they are pointing to, but they just keep pointing and saying
> 'da'. I know they're hearing is fine, and they comprehend absolutley
> EVERYTHING we say to them. I'm just curious about when they will
> actually start using words to describe things.
>
> Any help/advice would be helpful.
>
> Thanks!
> Kim
> mom to Ronan & Xander
> 2/26/02

multimom4
October 21st 03, 04:08 AM
Holly *suddenly* leapt from "dat" into speech at almost exactly two. The
others (multiples) were later. Every child is unpredictable and the
frustrating "you want a cookie?" NO "you want your cup?" NO .... etc etc
will continue for a while yet until their speech is not only there but
CLEAR!

--Janet
Elliot, Hanna, Connor (10/21/96)
and Holly (4/4/01)

"Kim" > wrote in message
om...
> I know some day I'm going to be saying 'why did I ever encourage you
> to speak', but right now I'm really ready for the boys to start
> talking! They are almost 20 months old and just point to things and
> say 'da', which is their word for 'that'. It's getting pretty
> difficult to determine what they are pointing to. I've tried asking
> them what they are pointing to, but they just keep pointing and saying
> 'da'. I know they're hearing is fine, and they comprehend absolutley
> EVERYTHING we say to them. I'm just curious about when they will
> actually start using words to describe things.
>
> Any help/advice would be helpful.
>
> Thanks!
> Kim
> mom to Ronan & Xander
> 2/26/02

middletree
October 21st 03, 05:45 AM
Our girl was a chatterbox at 11 months, and her twin brother is now over 2
and doesn't have much to say. It's really nothing to be alarmed about, at
the age you are talking about.

"Kim" > wrote in message
om...
> I know some day I'm going to be saying 'why did I ever encourage you
> to speak', but right now I'm really ready for the boys to start
> talking! They are almost 20 months old and just point to things and
> say 'da', which is their word for 'that'. It's getting pretty
> difficult to determine what they are pointing to. I've tried asking
> them what they are pointing to, but they just keep pointing and saying
> 'da'. I know they're hearing is fine, and they comprehend absolutley
> EVERYTHING we say to them. I'm just curious about when they will
> actually start using words to describe things.
>
> Any help/advice would be helpful.
>
> Thanks!
> Kim
> mom to Ronan & Xander
> 2/26/02

middletree
October 21st 03, 05:45 AM
Our girl was a chatterbox at 11 months, and her twin brother is now over 2
and doesn't have much to say. It's really nothing to be alarmed about, at
the age you are talking about.

"Kim" > wrote in message
om...
> I know some day I'm going to be saying 'why did I ever encourage you
> to speak', but right now I'm really ready for the boys to start
> talking! They are almost 20 months old and just point to things and
> say 'da', which is their word for 'that'. It's getting pretty
> difficult to determine what they are pointing to. I've tried asking
> them what they are pointing to, but they just keep pointing and saying
> 'da'. I know they're hearing is fine, and they comprehend absolutley
> EVERYTHING we say to them. I'm just curious about when they will
> actually start using words to describe things.
>
> Any help/advice would be helpful.
>
> Thanks!
> Kim
> mom to Ronan & Xander
> 2/26/02

Twinzmommie
October 21st 03, 03:44 PM
This is always such and interesting topic to me because I haves worried
constantly about the lack of vocabulary James has had. Mostly it stems from
Riley being a little chatterbox. She is VERY verbal and I have found it
impossible not to compare them. The fact that my MIL who hardly sees them also
comments on the fact that James does not talk as much. She does this at every
chance she gets. It is quite frusterating.

Anyhow, at our 18 month old WBV, I was asked if each child had 15 words in
his/her vocabulary. Each did, so I felt relieved at that. Then about a month
later, I noticed that James seemed to stop using the words he had been. We
were at the pedi for a look see on something (around 20 months) and I asked
about it. The Dr said it was completely normal in a multiples situation. One
child is extremely verbal and begins talking for the other. She said the fact
that they are different gender makes it make even more sense. She observed him
for a little while and said she felt he was exactly where he needed to be. I
felt better.

Over the next few months (between 23-28 months) I have noticed a tremendous
improvement in James' verbal skills. He speaks in sentences with up to 4
words, and he seems to really enjoy the fact that he can convey his message. I
love the fact that He and Riley actually have conversations now.

Sorry this was long, but I hoped it helped to hear someones elses experience.

Michelle
Mommy to Riley Claire & James Michael