PDA

View Full Version : Transition from cribs to beds?

Jim Wehner
October 22nd 03, 03:25 PM
Last night, my wife commented on how we probably can just dismantle the
cribs and expect our twins to immediately adapt to beds.

How have others done this with limited space in the house? We can't have
2 cribs & twins beds in their room at the same time.

Thanks.

Jim
(Adam & Rebecca 1/3/02)

Twinzmommie
October 22nd 03, 04:31 PM
Well in our case, Riley and James were falling asleep in our bed every night.
I would lay down with them until the went to sleep. Once they were out, I
would pick them up and put then in their cribs.

When we decided to transition to beds, we took the cribs apart (I cried like a
baby) and that night instead of laying down in our bed with them, DH and I
layed down with each of them and they fell asleep in their own bed.

James still likes to be cuddled to sleep, but Riley will drift off on her own.
Sometimes I have to tell her I will snuggle her after James falls to sleep.
She is usually out by that time.

I am sure others will have some good suggestions, but this is what worked for
us.

PS-I have those side rail things on their beds so they don't roll off onto the
floor in their sleep.

Michelle
Mommy to Riley Claire & James Michael

[...]

Nikolette
October 22nd 03, 04:50 PM
One of our cribs was a 3-in-1 so we changed it to the toddler bed and let
them decide which one was going to sleep in it. C didn't like it OR the
crib, and kept trying to sleep on the floor so we took the other crib
mattress, dismantled the crib, and did a ghetto trundle bed with the 3-in-1
and he slept on that. Then when we decided to get regular toddler beds MIL
was able to find one of those car beds at a garage sale for $20, and C slept
in that while B slept on a mattress on the floor (preferred it to the
3-in-1) until we (recently) got another bed for him. We also got
"character" sheets to make the beds look more inviting, Spidey for C and
Rolie Polie Olie for B. BC were older than your twins though when we did
this just a while ago, and I think when they were your twins' age they still
liked sleeping in a crib together, and weren't into "characters" yet. HTH .
.. .

Nik
Brendan and Cade, 09.26.00
--
~::*::~::*::~::*::~::*::~::*::~::*::~::*::~
http://nesorrell.filetap.com

"Jim Wehner" > wrote in message

> Last night, my wife commented on how we probably can just dismantle the
> cribs and expect our twins to immediately adapt to beds.
>
> How have others done this with limited space in the house? We can't have
> 2 cribs & twins beds in their room at the same time.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jim
> (Adam & Rebecca 1/3/02)

Jim Wehner
October 22nd 03, 06:58 PM
They slept in a crib *together* when they were older than my
twins? Wow! Must've been a big crib. Ours were in a basinet together at
first, then separate basinets, then maybe 2 or 3 days together in a crib,
before we put them in separate cribs (at about 4 months, I think).

Anyway, thanks for the input. I'll send it on to my wife.

Jim
(daddy of Adam & Rebecca)

--

--

H Schinske
October 22nd 03, 07:02 PM
wrote:

>Last night, my wife commented on how we probably can just dismantle the
>cribs and expect our twins to immediately adapt to beds.

Do you mean she thinks you *can't* do this? Ours adapted just fine. We used the
crib mattresses on the floor for a while, so it was all the same bedding and a
familiar feel, it just wasn't up high and enclosed.

--Helen

H Schinske
October 22nd 03, 07:02 PM
wrote:

>Last night, my wife commented on how we probably can just dismantle the
>cribs and expect our twins to immediately adapt to beds.

Do you mean she thinks you *can't* do this? Ours adapted just fine. We used the
crib mattresses on the floor for a while, so it was all the same bedding and a
familiar feel, it just wasn't up high and enclosed.

--Helen

Jim Wehner
October 22nd 03, 09:16 PM
Oops, yeah... that's what I meant. She's not too optimistic that they'll
be readily accepting if, one night, they're in cribs & the next night it's
"sleep here now!" (in big kids' beds). Those are her thoughts, not
mine. I don't think there will be much of a problem.

Jim

--

--

Nikolette
October 22nd 03, 10:04 PM

Nik

"Jim Wehner" > wrote in message
> They slept in a crib *together* when they were older than my
> twins? Wow! Must've been a big crib. Ours were in a basinet together at
> first, then separate basinets, then maybe 2 or 3 days together in a crib,
> before we put them in separate cribs (at about 4 months, I think).
>
> Anyway, thanks for the input. I'll send it on to my wife.
>
> Jim
> (daddy of Adam & Rebecca)

<snip>

"Jim Wehner" > wrote in message
> They slept in a crib *together* when they were older than my
> twins? Wow! Must've been a big crib. Ours were in a basinet together at
> first, then separate basinets, then maybe 2 or 3 days together in a crib,
> before we put them in separate cribs (at about 4 months, I think).
>
> Anyway, thanks for the input. I'll send it on to my wife.
>
> Jim
> (daddy of Adam & Rebecca)

<snip>

TwinMom
October 22nd 03, 10:08 PM
Well, everyone has different methods, even our own family. For our boys
(2/96), we bought toddler beds at a garage sale and used them, with the crib
mattresses, for less than a year - they simply got too big for the
mattresses. When they were about 4, we bought them twin-sized Lo/Hi beds
from IKEA. These are "knock-down" (aka build them yourself) beds that go to
three heights. We used the "middle" height until they were about 7 and that
left the 3ft space underneath as a play area. HOWEVER, we used extreme
caution!! Their ladders were placed against the wall, and the beds were
"wrapped" in a homemade fabric "tent" of sorts - roof and panels that
covered all sides and tied down under the mattresses. There were openings
between the beds and at the doorways but other than that, there was no way
to accidentally fall out. Earlier this year, we moved the beds to the Hi
bunk position and the boys have a full 4-5 feet of play area underneath.
Both beds fit nicely into the room, while still giving the boys room to
play.

For our daughter (8/00), since we're a little more experienced, we are
skipping the toddler bed phase. We simply dropped one side of her crib and
gave her a two-step Rubbermaid step stool - very lightweight but sturdy.
She's been climbing in and out on her own for about a year now and, since
she is now getting too big for that mattress, we've ordered her a twin sized
day bed with a trundle underneath so that Grandma can stay over from time to
time.

For the boys, the Hi/Lo's worked well in one room, for the little girl, and
occasional company, the day bed option works also.

[...]

October 22nd 03, 10:58 PM
Wow, that Lo/Hi sounds fun! I wanted to get a trundle bed for the boys but
DH wanted the car bed so the trundle would've been too much right now;
trundles are such a great idea though.

--
Nik
Brendan and Cade, 09.26.00

"TwinMom" > wrote in message
> Well, everyone has different methods, even our own family. For our boys
> (2/96), we bought toddler beds at a garage sale and used them, with the
crib
> mattresses, for less than a year - they simply got too big for the
> mattresses. When they were about 4, we bought them twin-sized Lo/Hi beds
> from IKEA. These are "knock-down" (aka build them yourself) beds that go
> three heights. We used the "middle" height until they were about 7 and
that
> left the 3ft space underneath as a play area. HOWEVER, we used extreme
> caution!! Their ladders were placed against the wall, and the beds were
> "wrapped" in a homemade fabric "tent" of sorts - roof and panels that
> covered all sides and tied down under the mattresses. There were openings
> between the beds and at the doorways but other than that, there was no way
> to accidentally fall out. Earlier this year, we moved the beds to the Hi
> bunk position and the boys have a full 4-5 feet of play area underneath.
> Both beds fit nicely into the room, while still giving the boys room to
> play.
>
> For our daughter (8/00), since we're a little more experienced, we are
> skipping the toddler bed phase. We simply dropped one side of her crib and
> gave her a two-step Rubbermaid step stool - very lightweight but sturdy.
> She's been climbing in and out on her own for about a year now and, since
> she is now getting too big for that mattress, we've ordered her a twin
sized
> day bed with a trundle underneath so that Grandma can stay over from time
> time.
>
> For the boys, the Hi/Lo's worked well in one room, for the little girl,
and
> occasional company, the day bed option works also.

David desJardins
October 22nd 03, 11:01 PM
TwinMom writes:
> Well, everyone has different methods, even our own family. For our
> boys (2/96), we bought toddler beds at a garage sale and used them,
> with the crib mattresses, for less than a year - they simply got too
> big for the mattresses. When they were about 4, we bought them
> twin-sized Lo/Hi beds from IKEA.

US crib mattresses, and toddler beds, are 52 inches long. Surely your
4yo children couldn't have been 52 inches tall! The 99th percentile at
that age is about 44 inches.

There's nothing wrong with giving them bigger beds if they want them,
but I don't think it's really a necessity until much older.

David desJardins

David desJardins
October 22nd 03, 11:01 PM
TwinMom writes:
> Well, everyone has different methods, even our own family. For our
> boys (2/96), we bought toddler beds at a garage sale and used them,
> with the crib mattresses, for less than a year - they simply got too
> big for the mattresses. When they were about 4, we bought them
> twin-sized Lo/Hi beds from IKEA.

US crib mattresses, and toddler beds, are 52 inches long. Surely your
4yo children couldn't have been 52 inches tall! The 99th percentile at
that age is about 44 inches.

There's nothing wrong with giving them bigger beds if they want them,
but I don't think it's really a necessity until much older.

David desJardins

Seth Jackson
October 22nd 03, 11:11 PM
On 22 Oct 2003 10:25:57 -0400, Jim Wehner >
wrote:

>Last night, my wife commented on how we probably can just dismantle the
>cribs and expect our twins to immediately adapt to beds.
>
>How have others done this with limited space in the house? We can't have
>2 cribs & twins beds in their room at the same time.

We waited until at least one of our kids kept asking for a bed. By
the time she got the bed, she was so excited about it that there was
no problem whatsoever in making the transition. Our other kid didn't
show the same level of excitement, but he also went straight from crib
to bed with no problem.

We skipped the toddler beds and went directly to twin sized beds. We
bought a rail to prevent them from rolling out and falling onto the
floor.
--
-Seth Jackson, proud father of Derek and Mariel(10/1/99). Pictures at:
http://hitmeister.home.mindspring.com/familypictures.htm

Music links: www.mp3.com/SethJackson
www.mp3.com/loudspeaker
www.SethJackson.net

wrote:

>Last night, my wife commented on how we probably can just dismantle the
>cribs and expect our twins to immediately adapt to beds.
>
>How have others done this with limited space in the house? We can't have
>2 cribs & twins beds in their room at the same time.

We waited until at least one of our kids kept asking for a bed. By
the time she got the bed, she was so excited about it that there was
no problem whatsoever in making the transition. Our other kid didn't
show the same level of excitement, but he also went straight from crib
to bed with no problem.

We skipped the toddler beds and went directly to twin sized beds. We
bought a rail to prevent them from rolling out and falling onto the
floor.
--
-Seth Jackson, proud father of Derek and Mariel(10/1/99). Pictures at:
http://hitmeister.home.mindspring.com/familypictures.htm

Music links: www.mp3.com/SethJackson
www.mp3.com/loudspeaker
www.SethJackson.net

DeliciousTruffles
October 22nd 03, 11:36 PM
Jim Wehner wrote:

> Last night, my wife commented on how we probably can just dismantle the
> cribs and expect our twins to immediately adapt to beds.
>
> How have others done this with limited space in the house? We can't have
> 2 cribs & twins beds in their room at the same time.

Mine had convertible cribs that I converted to toddler beds at 19
months. They didn't have a problem with it but they also didn't spend
all of their sleeping time in their cribs either. They napped in the
cribs and slept the first few hours of the night in them. They rest of
the time they were on mattresses on the floor in our room next to our
mattress.

Maybe just start with the twin mattresses on the floor?

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

DeliciousTruffles
October 22nd 03, 11:36 PM
Jim Wehner wrote:

> Last night, my wife commented on how we probably can just dismantle the
> cribs and expect our twins to immediately adapt to beds.
>
> How have others done this with limited space in the house? We can't have
> 2 cribs & twins beds in their room at the same time.

Mine had convertible cribs that I converted to toddler beds at 19
months. They didn't have a problem with it but they also didn't spend
all of their sleeping time in their cribs either. They napped in the
cribs and slept the first few hours of the night in them. They rest of
the time they were on mattresses on the floor in our room next to our
mattress.

Maybe just start with the twin mattresses on the floor?

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Ellen Kmetz
October 23rd 03, 12:05 AM
Jim,

I've always thought that if you have the crib *and* a bed for them, of course
they will have a hard time transitioning. We went cold turkey (space was also
an issue), so really they had no choice. The first week with beds was rough, I
won't lie to you! All that freedom made for nightmare bedtimes when all they
did was run around the room and jump from one mattress to another. But really
after that one week, they were pretty good. Now they get up in those beds and
don't move all night :)

Good luck,

Ellen
--------
Erin 6/26/95
Bradley & Alex 10/5/00

Ellen Kmetz
October 23rd 03, 12:05 AM
Jim,

I've always thought that if you have the crib *and* a bed for them, of course
they will have a hard time transitioning. We went cold turkey (space was also
an issue), so really they had no choice. The first week with beds was rough, I
won't lie to you! All that freedom made for nightmare bedtimes when all they
did was run around the room and jump from one mattress to another. But really
after that one week, they were pretty good. Now they get up in those beds and
don't move all night :)

Good luck,

Ellen
--------
Erin 6/26/95
Bradley & Alex 10/5/00

Jim Wehner
October 23rd 03, 06:05 PM
Thanks for all the input. :-)
Jim

Jim Wehner
October 23rd 03, 06:05 PM
Thanks for all the input. :-)
Jim

multimom4
October 24th 03, 04:37 AM
We very reluctantly did the transition at 2y 10m to save my back after back
surgery, and it was totally smooth from the kid pov (no stress to them).
They were present as we set up the toddler beds and *so* excited. Then all
H*** broke loose of course as they would no longer stay in bed. But they
were *happy*. It was *my* life that took a nasty turn for the worse with
bedtime turned into a nightmare and having to strap down everything -- not
to mention some terrifying broken glass and an ER visit ....

Since yours are so young, I would def. get a bed rail. Also, one safer mode
of "transition" might be to use their crib mattress on the floor for a while
til they are a bit used to not having bars to hold them in.

You don't mention of course whether you are planning on doing this soon, or
are just curious about the eventual process. And perhaps there is a new
baby coming or a safety concern with leaving them in the current setup. So
this may not be relevant ---- but with Holly, we are again waiting as long
as possible (probably end of Feb, which will be 2y 11m). I don't see any
rush unless they are climbing out or you need a crib? It may destroy nap
time and it may disrupt night-time -- why take the risk?

--Janet
Elliot, Hanna, Connor (10/21/96)
and Holly (4/4/01)

"Jim Wehner" > wrote in message
> Thanks for all the input. :-)
> Jim

Jim Wehner
October 24th 03, 03:27 PM
multimom4 > wrote:

> You don't mention of course whether you are planning on doing this soon, or
> are just curious about the eventual process.

....just curious after my wife's comment on the subject. Both are fine in
their cribs for now & not climbing out. I guess she's just worrying
prematurely.

Thanks.

Jim

Jim Wehner
October 24th 03, 03:27 PM
multimom4 > wrote:

> You don't mention of course whether you are planning on doing this soon, or
> are just curious about the eventual process.

....just curious after my wife's comment on the subject. Both are fine in
their cribs for now & not climbing out. I guess she's just worrying
prematurely.

Thanks.

Jim

TwinMom
October 24th 03, 09:15 PM
You forgot to add the height (or is it width or depth) of "loveys". (bg) DD
has about 6-9 inches of space at her feet taken up by her special friends.
Between her little pillow and her loveys, she really is running out of room.

TwinMom
October 24th 03, 09:15 PM
You forgot to add the height (or is it width or depth) of "loveys". (bg) DD
has about 6-9 inches of space at her feet taken up by her special friends.
Between her little pillow and her loveys, she really is running out of room.

Kelsey Romanoff
October 28th 03, 06:31 PM
I suggest playpen for transitions. that's what I did. It worked well.
They are now in bunk beds. They will be 4 in December.
Kelsey