Subject: Re: Cash for Kids?
From: (Fern5827)
Date: 10/29/2003 5:04 PM Eastern Standard Time

Indeed, the situation in NJ is particularly disturbing, in light of the fact
that at least 38 DOCUMENTED visits were made to the family's home and that the
family had foster children in pre-adoptive status, and other adopted girls,
along with bio children residing in the home.

Now the head of DYFS is making some noises like *records falsification.*

And Richard Wexler is alluding to *drive-by casework.*

Both of which are extremely upsetting to families who are subject to the
vagaries of DYFS and their inconsistent standards.

>Jacksons were
>being evaluated by state officials for the adoption of a
>seventh child, a 10-year-old girl.

One wonders if the homes the bio parents provided were as frightful.

One further wonders about KINSHIP CARE, which is inadequately utilized in the
States.

http://www.childrensrights.org Figures given are kin care used in 27% of
cases.

>The
>Jacksons, with six adopted children and one foster child,
>received more than $30,000 in government payments last
>year.

The Boss family in Illinois and other Midwester states where they re-located
are another horrific example of adoptions gone awry. In that case, children
were murdered.

>Once children are formally adopted, for instance, the state
>is no longer entitled to closely monitor their well-being.

CLOSELY MONITORED did not apparently apply with DYFS.

>Experts are quick to caution that the case of the Jacksons
>of New Jersey may prove to be distinctly aberrant, and data
>concerning abuse or other problems

See Boss case for another recent example.>The Jacksons, for example, completed
their many
>adoptions over a decade, and investigators are still
>checking to see how they could have missed signs that the
>boys were being starved.

Nine or ten caseworkers and supervisors have been fired. Supervisors may not
have union protection.

Cw's are part of CWA--Communications workers of America union.

>Another concern is that because the federal government does
>not limit the number of children either foster families or
>adopting families can have, states will start cramming them
>wherever they can.

Incredible.

>but many states are also allowing families
>to adopt many children with specialized needs - with
>sometimes disastrous consequences.

The boys were told they had an *eating disorder.* Never mind, that they hadn't
been to a physician in over 5 years.

>Since 1980, the federal government, which had long been
>subsidizing foster homes, began to also provide financial
>support to families even after they had adopted children.

Thus giving incentives to the states to deem each child *special needs.*

>Foster care populations in the
>cities were bloated, in part as a result of the crack
>epidemic of the 1980's. Children were

A Univ of Florida study showed better growth patterns at 6 months when child
maintained in his own home, by addicted mothers.

> Numerous studies showed such stays in
>foster care crushed self-esteem and created children who
>had trouble forming bonds with adults and peers.

Again, the Family Law Journal in its Millennium issue (2000) cited the case of
a state CPS agency who placed children in foster care, even when there was a
Dad eager to keep his children.

Apparently this scenario is not unknown to child welfare agencies.

>found that in some parts of New Jersey as many as
>one in five children in foster care had been abused.

What's worse the abuse is frequently covered up.

Newsgroup alt support child protective services.

Doug from Canada sent in:

> [...]
>number they completed the year before.
>
>"Thousands of children across the nation and in New York
>were spending years in foster care," said William C. Bell,
>commissioner of New York City's Administration for
>Children's Services. Numerous studies showed such stays in
>foster care crushed self-esteem and created children who
>had trouble forming bonds with adults and peers.
>
>"The impulse behind the law was to do something better for
>children and to demand a better result from the system,"
>said Mr. Bell.
>
>But whatever the motivation, state child welfare officials
>handling adoptions are increasingly finding themselves face
>to face with a thorny reality: lots of new children ready
>for adoption and the same old, very limited pool of foster
>parents willing to take them in.
>
>Doubtless many of those foster parents are qualified and
>caring. But as a group they certainly have their flaws,
>particularly in New Jersey, which has what its own
>officials admit is a scandalous history of poor screening
>and licensing of such foster homes.
>
>Case records of children in foster care in 2001, released
>as a result of a lawsuit against the state's foster care
>system, found that in some parts of New Jersey as many as
>one in five children in foster care had been abused.
>
>More chilling, the case files also showed that, among
>foster homes identified as good prospective adoptive homes,
>7 percent had confirmed findings of abuse or neglect in New
>Jersey in 2001 - 12 times the rates the federal government
>has set as acceptable.
>
>Regulators in Washington, many of whom say the 1997 federal
>changes were largely good, are nevertheless beginning to
>press for ways to detect potentially troubled adoptive
>homes.
>
>"There ought to be some method for a state agency to
>determine how these kids are doing post-adoption," said
>Wade F. Horn, assistant secretary for children and families
>at the Health and Human Services Department in Washington.
>
>"Most kids in foster care are there because they have had
>something terrible happen in their background. That would
>suggest a lot of these kids are going to have issues, and
>we shouldn't be surprised that when these kids are adopted
>problems emerge."
>

>http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/29/nyregion/29ADOP.html?ex=1068451006&ei=1
&en=128e18ee2929d408

>---------------------------------
>
>Get Home Delivery of The New York Times Newspaper. Imagine
>reading The New York Times any time & anywhere you like!
>Leisurely catch up on events & expand your horizons. Enjoy
>now for 50% off Home Delivery! Click here:
>
>http://www.nytimes.com/ads/nytcirc/index.html
>

>HOW TO ADVERTISE
>For information on advertising in e-mail newsletters
>or other creative advertising opportunities with The
>New York Times on the Web, please contact
or visit our online media

.

>Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company

DESCRIPTORS; CHILD PROTECTIVE, FOSTER CARE, DEPARTMENT OF CHILDREN AND
FAMILIES, NEW JERSEY, DYFS, KINSHIP CARE, CHILD ABUSE, WHISTLEBLOWER LAWSUIT