PDA

View Full Version : WA DSHS suit contends FC home housed dangerous teens

Fern5827
November 17th 03, 03:27 PM
The county has already settled with the victim of the beating.

Now DSHS is being sued.

Beating brings up questions about foster-care system's responsibilities

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS SEATTLE -- A gang of boys from a state-funded foster home
kicked a teenager from Somalia so severely that he suffered permanent brain
damage. Four years later, the 20-year-old victim still needs frequent hospital
stays.
The tragedy poses difficult questions for a King County jury: Is the state's
foster-care system to blame for the boys' actions? Should the state pay for the
victim's lifelong care, estimated at $20 million?

A civil lawsuit filed against the state is now in its third week of trial, The
Seattle Times reported Wednesday.

Three of the attackers lived in the same foster home run by one woman, the
Times reported Wednesday. Evidence presented at trial suggests the house was an
unsupervised "warehouse" for troubled teens -- the most difficult wards of the
state Department of Social and Health Services.

The victim, Said Aba Sheikh, was 16 and had been in the United States just
eight months when he was attacked in 1999. He had survived a civil war in
Somalia and years in a refugee camp in Kenya.

Miguel Pierre, Mychal Anderson, Pulefano Ativalu and a boy identified by the
Times only as Michael G. because he was a juvenile when convicted ran into Aba
Sheikh and a family friend at a West Seattle gas station. Two of the boys
kicked Aba Sheikh in the head about 10 times by Pierre and Anderson.

Pierre and Ativalu, both then 16, were convicted of assault as adults and are
serving sentences of at least 10 years. Anderson, then 15, is serving more than
seven years as an adult. Michael G., then 15, was convicted as a juvenile and
is now out of detention.

Pierre, Anderson and Michael G. had all lived in Emma Daniels' foster home and
had formed a gang in the year before Aba Sheikh's beating, court papers said.
The boys' convictions during those 12 months included assault, theft, car theft
and burglary, and all had been expelled from school.

Foster parent Daniels had obtained her foster-care license in 1988 and became
the foster parent for children that no one else wanted over the next decade,
according to DSHS documents.

Daniels repeatedly asked DSHS to move Pierre or Anderson but her calls weren't
returned, according to her attorney, Stewart Estes.

But lawyers for the state agency say the suit goes too far in hunting for a
culprit.

The case is based on the "unprecedented theory that DSHS social workers ... owe
a duty to protect members of the general public from criminal conduct by foster
children," wrote Jeff Freimund, an assistant attorney general representing
DSHS.

If any system failed, it was King County's juvenile-probation department,
Freimund argued, which was supposed to be supervising Pierre and Anderson at
the time of the beating.

The victim's lawyers settled with King County before the trial for an
undisclosed amount.

©2003 The Olympian Print this story | close window x

Kane
November 17th 03, 08:08 PM
(Fern5827) wrote in message >...
> [...]
>
> Daniels repeatedly asked DSHS to move Pierre or Anderson but her calls weren't
> returned, according to her attorney, Stewart Estes.
>
> But lawyers for the state agency say the suit goes too far in hunting for a
> culprit.
>
> The case is based on the "unprecedented theory that DSHS social workers ... owe
> a duty to protect members of the general public from criminal conduct by foster
> children," wrote Jeff Freimund, an assistant attorney general representing
> DSHS.
>
> If any system failed, it was King County's juvenile-probation department,
> Freimund argued, which was supposed to be supervising Pierre and Anderson at
> the time of the beating.
>
> The victim's lawyers settled with King County before the trial for an
> undisclosed amount.
>

> ©2003 The Olympian Print this story | close window x

Careful Cauliflower, I might have my image of you as a lying little
**** irreparably destroyed if you keep posting honest things about CPS
and the state.

This article points out clearly the failing in the system that I want
fixed. The incapacity to deal with problems because they are
underfunded. Your babbly about the billions is a joke. The amount of
money isn't the question.

The amount of money, even if it is in the billions, is obviously
insufficient to fund the size of the need. That doesn't make CPS or
even the juvenile system at fault. If I tell an athlete to run a mile
at top speed, then criticize her for going so slow, after I broke her
kneecap, it is exactly what the public does about this problem.

They do not adequately fund or support the system they demand take
care of the problems.

The NJ issue is a classic. 80 client caseloads, where it's established
the 16 to 18 should be the national average, but workers being fired
for being lazy. Don't yah just love it?

Kane

Fern5827
November 17th 03, 08:41 PM
NJ DYFS refuted that caseload figure before.

They have thousands of employees.

Fern5827
November 17th 03, 08:42 PM
One cw was found falsifying records.

Source: She documented abuse, when she hadn't even spoken to family.

Source: http://www.syc.org

Calvin and Lakia's story. The Philadelphia Inquirer, The Philadelphia Tribune.

Go read it.

Fern5827
November 17th 03, 08:43 PM
My babble comes from the House Ways and Means Committee Website, while yours
comes from your imaginings.

http://waysandmeanscommittee.house.gov

Over SEVEN BILLION IN FED FUNDS TO FOSTER CARE AND ADOPTION.

Simons Mom
November 18th 03, 04:39 AM
The only people at fault for the kids action are the kids. They make
thier own choices.

Fern5827
November 18th 03, 10:04 PM
BTW, the jury followed my theories. IOW, I win.

Shannon, the courts have to place dangerous children in secure settings.

They were on probation. Looks like I was correct.

>The only people at fault for the kids action are the kids. They make
>thier own choices.

BTW, how would you like to foster these teens?

What a combination of gang-like children cutting school and predating upon
smaller teens. Probably the old baseball bat beatings.

Sherman
November 19th 03, 12:42 AM
"Fern5827" > wrote in message
> My babble comes from the House Ways and Means Committee Website, while
yours
> comes from your imaginings.
>
> http://waysandmeanscommittee.house.gov

That's the equivalent of stating that you know all about the war from CNN
and have never, ever been on the front lines...

Sherman.