> http://www.human.cornell.edu/admin/csg/home.html

Umm...

Psstt!

Shoes?

--
Paul Griffiths

ŠkatŠ
June 23rd 03, 07:01 PM
Ha ha ha... Yea, fine picture, but something definitely looks out of
place... Maybe it's the suit with bare feet ;)

"Paul Griffiths" > wrote in message
> "Alex Nemeth" > wrote in message
>
> > My best picture can be found at
> > http://www.human.cornell.edu/admin/csg/home.html
>
> Umm...
>
> Psstt!
>
> Shoes?
>

> --
> Paul Griffiths

Alex Nemeth
June 28th 03, 04:09 AM
Actually it's the "Bare Feet with the Suit"

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 18:01:37 GMT, "ŠkatŠ" >
wrote:

>Ha ha ha... Yea, fine picture, but something definitely looks out of
>place... Maybe it's the suit with bare feet ;)
>
>"Paul Griffiths" > wrote in message
>> "Alex Nemeth" > wrote in message
>>
>> > My best picture can be found at
>> > http://www.human.cornell.edu/admin/csg/home.html
>>
>> Umm...
>>
>> Psstt!
>>
>> Shoes?
>>

>> --
>> Paul Griffiths

ŠkatŠ
June 28th 03, 07:08 AM
Hm... Isn't that pretty much what I just said?

"Alex Nemeth" > wrote in message
> Actually it's the "Bare Feet with the Suit"
>

> On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 18:01:37 GMT, "ŠkatŠ" >
> wrote:
>
> >Ha ha ha... Yea, fine picture, but something definitely looks out of
> >place... Maybe it's the suit with bare feet ;)

> >> Umm...
> >>
> >> Psstt!
> >>
> >> Shoes?
> >>

> >> --
> >> Paul Griffiths

Alex Nemeth
June 29th 03, 03:21 AM
Not really, maybe, sorta :-) Think about the way the words are
placed in the sentence. Suit with bare feet would place the primary
focus on the suit, whereas Bare Feet with a suit would place the focus
on the bare feet.

Some have told me that my attempts at humor sometimes appears to be a
bit off center :-)

Now back to planning my 25th year HS reunion

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 06:08:29 GMT, "ŠkatŠ" >
wrote:

>Hm... Isn't that pretty much what I just said?
>
>"Alex Nemeth" > wrote in message
>> Actually it's the "Bare Feet with the Suit"
>>

>> On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 18:01:37 GMT, "ŠkatŠ" >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Ha ha ha... Yea, fine picture, but something definitely looks out of
>> >place... Maybe it's the suit with bare feet ;)

June 29th 03, 04:11 PM
In article >, ŠkatŠ says...

>Although this is somewhat off topic, I thought I'd take a shot at it
>anyways..
>I often get so confused here with who's who, so I'm hoping some people will
>say something...
>
>I'm wondering... Who are you?
>
>I'm Kat, from Alberta, Canada, and in about 2 weeks, I will be 20.
>I have 2 boys, Brandon, 2 and a half, and Zachary, 3 and a half.
>

>Anyone else wanna step up to bat? :)

My name is Liz (Elizabeth), I am 24 years old, divorced, and have a daughter,
Annie, aged 3. I am a single working mother & part-time student. I receive a lot
of help from my parents. I am a "lurker" here and have never posted anything
before. I live in the SF Bay area.

Liz S.

Julie
June 29th 03, 04:15 PM

> >Anyone else wanna step up to bat? :)

Hi !

My names Julie and I'm an alcoho....

ooops sorry wrong group

turtledove
June 29th 03, 05:11 PM
> wrote in message
> In article >, ŠkatŠ says...
> >
> >Although this is somewhat off topic, I thought I'd take a shot at it
> >anyways..
> >I often get so confused here with who's who, so I'm hoping some people
will
> >say something...
> >
> >I'm wondering... Who are you?
> >
> >I'm Kat, from Alberta, Canada, and in about 2 weeks, I will be 20.
> >I have 2 boys, Brandon, 2 and a half, and Zachary, 3 and a half.
> >

> >Anyone else wanna step up to bat? :)
>
> My name is Liz (Elizabeth), I am 24 years old, divorced, and have a
daughter,
> Annie, aged 3. I am a single working mother & part-time student. I receive
a lot
> of help from my parents. I am a "lurker" here and have never posted
anything
> before. I live in the SF Bay area.
>
> Liz S.

Hi Liz!!

*brianne here, mom to DS who is almost 9. Was a single parent for 6 years,
now re-married for the past 2.5. Can't seem to let this wonderful group of
people go though!! I currently live in Central Florida, but I"m moving to
Las VEgas in about 2 months.

Welcome!
*bri

CME
June 29th 03, 06:55 PM
> wrote in message
> In article >, ŠkatŠ says...
> >
> >Although this is somewhat off topic, I thought I'd take a shot at it
> >anyways..
> >I often get so confused here with who's who, so I'm hoping some people
will
> >say something...
> >
> >I'm wondering... Who are you?
> >
> >I'm Kat, from Alberta, Canada, and in about 2 weeks, I will be 20.
> >I have 2 boys, Brandon, 2 and a half, and Zachary, 3 and a half.
> >

> >Anyone else wanna step up to bat? :)
>
> My name is Liz (Elizabeth), I am 24 years old, divorced, and have a
daughter,
> Annie, aged 3. I am a single working mother & part-time student. I receive
a lot
> of help from my parents. I am a "lurker" here and have never posted
anything
> before. I live in the SF Bay area.
>
> Liz S.

Welcome to the group. What are you taking in school?

Christine
(Mom of 7 year old twin boys)

CME
June 29th 03, 06:55 PM
"Julie" > wrote in message

> > >Anyone else wanna step up to bat? :)
> >

> Hi !
>
> My names Julie and I'm an alcoho....
>
> ooops sorry wrong group

LOL

Christine

Karen O'Mara
June 30th 03, 08:48 PM
I'm Karen, from the bay area, Calif., 47, have one 16-year-old
daughter, Emily. I've been on and off the a.s.s-p group for 4-5 years
now? We just got back from our first trip to D.C., and had a great
time. Next stop, North Dakota for another week of fun. Things are
going really very okay for me, being a single mom and for my kid, too.

Karen

July 1st 03, 02:38 PM
Re: A quick poll?

Group: alt.support.single-parents Date: Mon, Jun 30, 2003, 12:48pm
(EDT-3) From: (Karen=A0O'Mara)
I'm Karen, from the bay area, Calif., 47, have one 16-year-old daughter,
Emily. I've been on and off the a.s.s-p group for 4-5 years now? We just
got back from our first trip to D.C., and had a great time. Next stop,
North Dakota for another week of fun. Things are going really very okay
for me, being a single mom and for my kid, too.
Karen
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Hey Karen! Good to see you and hear that things are going well. I'm
dying to take the kids to DC.. probably next summer though unless we're
moving back to the east coast. Decisions, decisions.

'Kate

Karen O'Mara
July 1st 03, 06:27 PM
wrote in message >...
> Hey Karen! Good to see you and hear that things are going well. I'm
> dying to take the kids to DC.. probably next summer though unless we're
> moving back to the east coast. Decisions, decisions.

Hi YOU!

DC is really neat. It's like a Disneyland for Adults. No, wait, that's
Vegas.

Politics seem more intersting now. To hear about a Supreme Court
ruling the day after I stood on those steps just hits home harder, for
example.

Anyway, we really learned a lot there.

Karen

Dennis Here
July 1st 03, 06:36 PM
wrote in message ...

>My name is Liz (Elizabeth), I am 24 years old, divorced, and have a
daughter,
>Annie, aged 3.

Greetings from Ireland.
Dennis father to three boys, 29, 27 and 7

July 1st 03, 10:58 PM
In article >, Dennis Here says...

wrote in message ...

>>My name is Liz (Elizabeth), I am 24 years old, divorced, and have a
>daughter,
>>Annie, aged 3.
>
>Greetings from Ireland.
>Dennis father to three boys, 29, 27 and 7

That is quite a spread 29 to 7.
Ireland? Wow! I've only seen pictures and movies about Ireland. It is a very
beautiful country. I am part Irish.

Liz

July 1st 03, 11:03 PM
In article >, Karen O'Mara
says...

wrote in message >...
>> I'm getting a B.A. Degree in English. I am planning on getting my teaching
>> credential.
>
>You're in my area, Liz. And, you're brave to enter teaching in the sad
>state of Calif. affairs that we're in today.
>
>Karen

I probably won't stay here when I get my credential. It costs too much to live
here. But my parents are here. I lived in New England for awhile. I think I
would like to raise my daughter in either Vermont or New Hampshire.

Liz

Jennifer Valliere
July 2nd 03, 02:39 AM
jen here. single mother of one daughter (22months old) who i like to
call rylee.

rylee will be admitted into sick kids hospital in toronto, on. soon.
we have been going through alot these past days. that would be the
reason for my absence from the room. sorry.

rylee has had problems since birth. nothing too serious since she has
turned one though. before one, she was hospitalized for a while due to
the hole in her heart, and sleep apnea. now, things aren't as serious.
her heart doctor (dr mok dok li) says she is safe from SIDS now that she
is older, and the hole seems to be closing up on itself.

the reason for her hospitalization this time is due to her sleep apnea
and possible seizure activity. as i said before, it is not that
serious. her doctor's just want to do a sleep study on her to make sure
she isn't getting worst instead of better. it is very possible she will
out grow this as she gets older. i have faith.

KEITH CRABILL
July 2nd 03, 06:34 AM
ok im keith from goldsboro nc .im a 38 yr old single father of 2 boys 6
and 7 yrs old.work as a pizza delivery driver for dominos.been divorce
for little over 2 yrs.got sole custody of my boys 2 yrs ago this past
june.and thats about it lmao.

KEITH CRABILL
July 2nd 03, 06:38 AM
wonder if there is hope for single dads lol.

KEITH CRABILL
July 2nd 03, 06:41 AM
what would we do without our parents

KEITH CRABILL
July 2nd 03, 06:42 AM
lmao

turtledove
July 2nd 03, 12:48 PM
"KEITH CRABILL" > wrote in message
> lmao

Just a little suggestion Keith (welcome by the way), could you please post
of little of what you are responding to? I have no idea what the 'lmao'
comment is in reference to.

just a thought!

*bri

July 2nd 03, 03:46 PM
Group: alt.support.single-parents Date: Wed, Jul 2, 2003, 1:41am From:
(KEITH=A0CRABILL)

> what would we do without our parents

Survive... same as always. I hope you'll consider planning a future
that does not include relying on your parents for financial support.
Having recently lost my last parent, I'm thankful that I'm not having to
make last minute life changes because of her death. The emotional loss
is enough to handle.

'Kate

ŠkatŠ
July 2nd 03, 07:12 PM
I'm sorry about your mom.
But lots of support from parents doesn't always mean financially. I do get
a LOT of help from my parents, but of course they are not going to do my
parenting job for me. I'll admit they will help me out with money when the
disconnection notices come in, and they never hesitate to drop off a jug of
milk in the morning if I'm out of milk and cash, but a whole ****load of
their help and support comes from just being there. Babysitting when they
are able to and when I need it for a good reason, or once in a while for me
to get some time off and time for myself. My parents help out with the
little things that matter, which mean more to B than money does. The money
does help me at times, but the emotional support and love does a lot more
for us than the money does most of the time.

> wrote in message
Group: alt.support.single-parents Date: Wed, Jul 2, 2003, 1:41am From:
(KEITH CRABILL)

> what would we do without our parents

Survive... same as always. I hope you'll consider planning a future
that does not include relying on your parents for financial support.
Having recently lost my last parent, I'm thankful that I'm not having to
make last minute life changes because of her death. The emotional loss
is enough to handle.

'Kate

Dennis Here
July 2nd 03, 11:12 PM
wrote in message

>That is quite a spread 29 to 7.
>Ireland? Wow!

Yeah, I started when I was 12 ;-)

>I've only seen pictures and movies about Ireland. It is a very
>beautiful country.

It certainly is, another good reason to live here.

>I am part Irish.

I'm English, of Welsh origin with a Fitzgerald somewhere back a few
generations. I think there are many here who are part Irish.

Dennis

KEITH CRABILL
July 2nd 03, 11:50 PM
the quick poll

KEITH CRABILL
July 2nd 03, 11:50 PM
and some of the comments from others

turtledove
July 3rd 03, 12:27 AM
"Dennis Here" oureply>
wrote in message ...

> wrote in message
>
> >That is quite a spread 29 to 7.
> >Ireland? Wow!
>
> Yeah, I started when I was 12 ;-)
>
> >I've only seen pictures and movies about Ireland. It is a very
> >beautiful country.
>
> It certainly is, another good reason to live here.
>
> >I am part Irish.
>

> I'm English, of Welsh origin with a Fitzgerald somewhere back a few
> generations. I think there are many here who are part Irish.
>
> Dennis

Hey Dennis,
We're apt to be related.
My maiden name is Fitzgerald.

:-)

*b

CME
July 3rd 03, 03:49 AM
> wrote in message
. com...
> In ,
> KEITH CRABILL > typed:
> > that is true i know my dad is in bad health and he has to go back to
> > duke in 2 weeks.ive been planning for life without parents for several
> > years now and to be honest with u the thoughts of not having my
> > parents around scare me to death.not for me in general.but cause my
> > boys have gotten so close to them.any suggestions on how to get my
> > boys ready for life without grandparents
>

> Are your parents death imminent? What I mean by that is, have they been
> diagnosed with a life-limiting (read terminal) illness that gives them 6
> months or less to live? If not, I don't think 'preparing' the boys for
life
> without grandparents is necessarily a wise thing. Kids learn about death
> from small animals, or pets that die. Say they have a goldfish, someday
> it's found belly up in the fish bowl/tank; perfect time to teach them that
> all things die in their time...in whatever language they understand at the
> time. Telling them now, when grandma and grandpa may still have a couple
> years left, that their grandparents might die will only frighten them.
> Especially considering time to kids is different than that of adults. We
> think years FLY by, they want time to go faster, Christmas come soon,
> Birthday, old enough to drive, vote, etc. Telling them about a future
event
> that isn't going to happen for some time, may just confuse them. Start
> examining your own beliefs. Do you believe in a higher power? Do you
> believe in an after life? Reincarnation? Nothingness? Once you find a
> creed you can follow and be comfortable with, the kids will also be able
> draw strength from it. Or maybe not. Just my opinion.
>
> Betsy
> --
> Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with
> ketchup.

That's an excellent post, too bad I didn't read it about 1/2 hr ago. I
found out last week that my Grandfather has Cancer, turns out it's
Terminal. I JUST went to the hospital to visit him so when I came home I
broke the news to the boys. I'm not sure if anyone has heard of Barb Tarbox
down there, but she was a mother at my kids school and she recently died of
Lung Cancer, so the boys are familiar with Terminal Cancer, and I felt they
had a right to know... they seemed to be shocked at first, then asked if
they could play Nintendo. Go figure. I'll try and talk to them about it
before bed...

Christine

ŠkatŠ
July 3rd 03, 04:06 AM
PLEASE!!!!!!!!
Do not start me on her...
I'm going to jump on over to the next topic now.

"CME" wrote in message ...
> I'm not sure if anyone has heard of Barb Tarbox
> down there, but she was a mother at my kids school and she recently died
of
> Lung Cancer, so the boys are familiar with Terminal Cancer, and I felt
they
> had a right to know... they seemed to be shocked at first, then asked if
> they could play Nintendo. Go figure. I'll try and talk to them about it
> before bed...
>
> Christine

KEITH CRABILL
July 3rd 03, 03:21 PM
well lets just say my dad had a heart attack 2 weeks ago so it wont be
too long i hate to say it.but yeah its pretty immment(did i spelll that
right)

July 3rd 03, 04:37 PM
Re: A quick poll?

Group: alt.support.single-parents Date: Wed, Jul 2, 2003, 6:12pm (EDT+4)
From: (=A9kat=A9)
I'm sorry about your mom.
But lots of support from parents doesn't always mean financially. I do
get a LOT of help from my parents, but of course they are not going to
do my parenting job for me. I'll admit they will help me out with money
when the disconnection notices come in, and they never hesitate to drop
off a jug of milk in the morning if I'm out of milk and cash, but a
whole ****load of their help and support comes from just being there.
Babysitting when they are able to and when I need it for a good reason,
or once in a while for me to get some time off and time for myself. My
parents help out with the little things that matter, which mean more to
B than money does. The money does help me at times, but the emotional
support and love does a lot more for us than the money does most of the
time.
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
You're right and I only addressed the financial dependence aspect for
those reasons.

'Kate

July 3rd 03, 04:54 PM
life without parents

Group: alt.support.single-parents Date: Wed, Jul 2, 2003, 6:54pm From:
(KEITH=A0CRABILL)
that is true i know my dad is in bad health and he has to go back to
duke in 2 weeks.ive been planning for life without parents for several
years now and to be honest with u the thoughts of not having my parents
around scare me to death.not for me in general.but cause my boys have
gotten so close to them.any suggestions on how to get my boys ready for
life without grandparents
-----------
When the time comes, be honest but not brutal about your parent's health
issues and don't give them a lot of information that they can't handle.
Get support and help from hospice. They will know exactly what to do
because a lot depends on the age of your children.

The best thing that you can do for your children is to provide for their
needs: emotional, physical, and educational, and to spend time with
them. The closeness and love that they get from your parents is what
will benefit them when your parents pass on. Don't restrict the
relationship to "help" the children... but you may have to restrict
their time with their grandparents to fit the condition of your parents.

Prepare yourself and make sure you know the wishes of your parents with
regard to thier funerals and burials, disposition of their assets, who
the estate lawyer is, what life insurance policies and burial policies
there are, where they want to be buried, what kind of memroial service
they want (religious or otherwise), etc....

I know this is hard to bring up but you can always use this group as an
excuse... just tell them that you're concerned because this is one of
the current topics here and you want to be able to carry out their
instructions in the future.

Also, you need a will. You have children. If something happens to you,
who will care for them? Children want to know this kind of thing
too.... maybe moreso in my situation. My children have already buried
their father.

And meanwhile, consider your own long -term financial situation. While
you have your parents' help, perhaps you can ask them what they think of
your going back to school so that you can better provide for the
children.

I know this is a *long* list.... it's hard to look ahead when you've got
so much on your plate right now but please consider these things. I
think they will help you in the long run.

I hope your dad will be OK. Keep us updated, will you?

'Kate

July 3rd 03, 05:05 PM
Group: alt.support.single-parents Date: Thu, Jul 3, 2003, 2:49am (EDT+4)
From: (CME)
That's an excellent post, too bad I didn't read it about 1/2 hr ago. I
found out last week that my Grandfather has Cancer, turns out it's
Terminal. I JUST went to the hospital to visit him so when I came home I
broke the news to the boys. I'm not sure if anyone has heard of Barb
Tarbox down there, but she was a mother at my kids school and she
recently died of Lung Cancer, so the boys are familiar with Terminal
Cancer, and I felt they had a right to know... they seemed to be shocked
at first, then asked if they could play Nintendo. Go figure. I'll try
and talk to them about it before bed...
Christine
===========
They do.. but like Betsy said, unless your grandfather's death is
imminent, drop it for now. Remember how slowly time goes by when
you're a kid? When it's time to see him for the last time, you'll have
to explain the medical equipment (if any) and that there's nothing that
doctor's can do to for him. Kids accept death better than we do but
have a couple of particual self-centered and very normal concerns for
thier own well being. How you handle death will make a big difference.
I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather. I hope that he is not in too
much pain.

'Kate

July 3rd 03, 05:17 PM
I am not sure about your location, but where I am the local Hospice
organizations offer grief counseling, for children and adults. It may
help you during this time (if it's available). I highly recommend
Hospice services, and not just because I work for Hospice. I hear so
much gratitude from the families. How pleased they were to be able to
care for their loved one at home, how grateful they were for the support
of our staff, etc. But grief counseling will certainly help, and the
good thing about most Hospice organizations, is it's free. Again, that's
just where I live, not sure of anywhere else.
Betsy
--
Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with
ketchup.
============

I can't say enough about the wonderful service that hospice provides.
They allow our loved ones the respect and dignity that they deserve.

'Kate

CME
July 3rd 03, 06:43 PM
"Moon Shyne" > wrote in message
> <snip>
>

> > That's an excellent post, too bad I didn't read it about 1/2 hr ago. I
> > found out last week that my Grandfather has Cancer, turns out it's
> > Terminal. I JUST went to the hospital to visit him so when I came home
> > broke the news to the boys. I'm not sure if anyone has heard of Barb
Tarbox
> > down there, but she was a mother at my kids school and she recently died
of
> > Lung Cancer, so the boys are familiar with Terminal Cancer, and I felt
they
> > had a right to know... they seemed to be shocked at first, then asked if
> > they could play Nintendo. Go figure. I'll try and talk to them about
it
> > before bed...
>
> Same sort of thing here, too - was gone for a long weekend, one of my four
> parents has terminal cancer as well - and the plan was for all the family
> come together (first time ever) while my parent was well enough to enjoy
it.

> While it was a sad reason for the reunion, seeing everyone after so many
years
> (I've been in the midwest for nearly 13 years) was pretty cool, seeing how
> everyone turned out - my children got to meet loads of relatives they'd
only
> heard about until now.
>
> As for preparing kids for this sort of thing... in my house, we treat
death as
> another part of the natural cycle. I had a brother who died, my children
had a
> brother who died as well, and they were ok with the reality...... both
kids
> wanted to push the wheelchair, were kind to everyone...... I was proud of
the
> way they handled themselves.

My thing is I wanted to be honest with them, seems my Grandfather doesn't
want anyone to know he's dying (hell he didn't want anyone to know about the
Cancer) but my Mom's been with him the whole time, helping him with the
Dr.s, so she ended up telling me. She doesn't want to keep secrets from me,
and she said I should tell the boys. Of course the problem with that is,
they're 7 and don't know how to keep secrets. lol

Christine

CME
July 3rd 03, 06:50 PM
> wrote in message
. com...

> > That's an excellent post, too bad I didn't read it about 1/2 hr ago.
> > I found out last week that my Grandfather has Cancer, turns out it's
> > Terminal. I JUST went to the hospital to visit him so when I came
> > home I broke the news to the boys. I'm not sure if anyone has heard
> > of Barb Tarbox down there, but she was a mother at my kids school and
> > she recently died of Lung Cancer, so the boys are familiar with
> > Terminal Cancer, and I felt they had a right to know... they seemed
> > to be shocked at first, then asked if they could play Nintendo. Go
> > figure. I'll try and talk to them about it before bed...
> >
> > Christine
>
> Christine,
>
> I am sorry to hear about your grandfather's illness.
>
> I am not sure about your location, but where I am the local Hospice
> organizations offer grief counseling, for children and adults. It may
help
> you during this time (if it's available). I highly recommend Hospice
> services, and not just because I work for Hospice. I hear so much
gratitude
> from the families. How pleased they were to be able to care for their
loved
> one at home, how grateful they were for the support of our staff, etc.
But
> grief counseling will certainly help, and the good thing about most
Hospice
> organizations, is it's free. Again, that's just where I live, not sure of
> anywhere else.
>
> Betsy
> --
> Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with
> ketchup.

Well unfortunately my Grandfather and I are not very close. He's not close
with any of his children either. I'm hoping this illness changes all that,
because he's only got a few months left to make amends.... I went to see
him in the hospital last night to tell him my good news (it's the only good
news the family's heard in awhile), and for the first time in my life he
said he was proud of me, so at least it's a start. I really feel sorry for
him (and us), because I'm sure he's seeing that the work, and the money was
not worth it in the long run.

Christine

July 3rd 03, 11:22 PM
In ,
CME > typed:
> > wrote in message
>> Group: alt.support.single-parents Date: Thu, Jul 3, 2003, 2:49am
>> (EDT+4) From: (CME)
>> That's an excellent post, too bad I didn't read it about 1/2 hr ago.
>> I found out last week that my Grandfather has Cancer, turns out it's
>> Terminal. I JUST went to the hospital to visit him so when I came
>> home I broke the news to the boys. I'm not sure if anyone has heard
>> of Barb Tarbox down there, but she was a mother at my kids school
>> and she recently died of Lung Cancer, so the boys are familiar with
>> Terminal Cancer, and I felt they had a right to know... they seemed
>> to be shocked at first, then asked if they could play Nintendo. Go
>> figure. I'll try and talk to them about it before bed...
>> Christine
>> ===========
>> They do.. but like Betsy said, unless your grandfather's death is
>> imminent, drop it for now. Remember how slowly time goes by when
>> you're a kid? When it's time to see him for the last time, you'll
>> have to explain the medical equipment (if any) and that there's
>> nothing that doctor's can do to for him. Kids accept death better
>> than we do but have a couple of particual self-centered and very
>> normal concerns for thier own well being. How you handle death will
>> make a big difference. I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather. I
>> hope that he is not in too much pain.
>>
>> 'Kate
>>

> Thanks Kate. He had an operation to remove a Tumour in his colon and
> it turns out they've spread to the Liver? That's all I really know,
> well that and the Dr.s gave him a few months, marvelling that he made
> it this far without any symptoms. He recently found out he has
> Diabetes and because of that, they found the Cancer. So it's all
> been a shock, and a very recent one. My Great-Aunt (his sister) just
> found out a few months ago she has Terminal Lung Cancer (as well as
> some other form) so the family is reeling. It should be a heart-felt
> family reunion at the end of the month.
>
> Christine

Colon Cancer metastasizing (spreading) to the liver is not uncommon, in fact
that's one of the first sites it goes to. I hope the doctor is encouraging
some type of comfort care. Pain medications are a must. I also hope they
don't focus on his diabetes. That's no longer an issue, in my opinion. My
grandfather had liver cancer, and it was so far progressed the doctors gave
him 3-6 months. He lasted 3 1/2 I think. Sad thing was, they waited too
long to call in Hospice, and they were scheduled to come on the day he died.
I knew nothing about Hospice until I began working for them 2 1/2 years ago.
I am saying prayers for your family.

Betsy
--
Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with
ketchup.

dolores
July 4th 03, 03:25 AM
"Dennis Here" oureply>
wrote in message ...

> wrote in message
>
> >That is quite a spread 29 to 7.
> >Ireland? Wow!
>
> Yeah, I started when I was 12 ;-)
>
> >I've only seen pictures and movies about Ireland. It is a very
> >beautiful country.
>
> It certainly is, another good reason to live here.
>
> >I am part Irish.
>

> I'm English, of Welsh origin with a Fitzgerald somewhere back a few
> generations. I think there are many here who are part Irish.
>
> Dennis

Ahem!!.....

Dolores

ŠkatŠ
July 4th 03, 06:15 PM
Partially commercial related, mostly everything else. That name just angers
me very much.
Let's save that for another day.
Resume day?

"CME" > wrote in message

> "ŠkatŠ" > wrote in message
> > PLEASE!!!!!!!!
> > Do not start me on her...
> > I'm going to jump on over to the next topic now.
> >

> About Barb Tarbox? Sick of seeing the commercials or is it something
else?

> Christine

Cele
July 6th 03, 06:46 AM
On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 21:39:42 -0400 (EDT),
(Jennifer Valliere) wrote:

>jen here. single mother of one daughter (22months old) who i like to
>call rylee.
>
>rylee will be admitted into sick kids hospital in toronto, on. soon.
>we have been going through alot these past days. that would be the
>reason for my absence from the room. sorry.
>
>rylee has had problems since birth. nothing too serious since she has
>turned one though. before one, she was hospitalized for a while due to
>the hole in her heart, and sleep apnea. now, things aren't as serious.
>her heart doctor (dr mok dok li) says she is safe from SIDS now that she
>is older, and the hole seems to be closing up on itself.
>
>the reason for her hospitalization this time is due to her sleep apnea
>and possible seizure activity. as i said before, it is not that
>serious. her doctor's just want to do a sleep study on her to make sure
>she isn't getting worst instead of better. it is very possible she will
>out grow this as she gets older. i have faith.

Good luck to you both! How did it go?

Cele

Cele
July 6th 03, 06:49 AM
On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 15:11:21 GMT, wrote:

>In article >, ŠkatŠ says...
>>
>>Although this is somewhat off topic, I thought I'd take a shot at it
>>anyways..
>>I often get so confused here with who's who, so I'm hoping some people will
>>say something...
>>
>>I'm wondering... Who are you?
>>
>>I'm Kat, from Alberta, Canada, and in about 2 weeks, I will be 20.
>>I have 2 boys, Brandon, 2 and a half, and Zachary, 3 and a half.
>>

>>Anyone else wanna step up to bat? :)
>
>My name is Liz (Elizabeth), I am 24 years old, divorced, and have a daughter,
>Annie, aged 3. I am a single working mother & part-time student. I receive a lot
>of help from my parents. I am a "lurker" here and have never posted anything
>before. I live in the SF Bay area.

Welcome!

I'm Celia, 44 and counting, two daughters, 15 & nearly 18. I'm
divorced, and my ex is an involved and loving parent. My eldest has
graduated, moved out, and got a year of college under her belt. My
youngest is starting grade 11 in the fall. I live on the West Coast of
Canada.

Cele

Cele
July 6th 03, 06:04 PM
On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 02:49:40 GMT, "CME" >
wrote:

>That's an excellent post, too bad I didn't read it about 1/2 hr ago. I
>found out last week that my Grandfather has Cancer, turns out it's
>Terminal. I JUST went to the hospital to visit him so when I came home I
>broke the news to the boys. I'm not sure if anyone has heard of Barb Tarbox
>down there, but she was a mother at my kids school and she recently died of
>Lung Cancer, so the boys are familiar with Terminal Cancer, and I felt they
>had a right to know... they seemed to be shocked at first, then asked if
>they could play Nintendo. Go figure. I'll try and talk to them about it
>before bed...

The day I heard about my sister's death by suicide at 32, my kids
cried, and then they went to the movies. They needed time to process.
And I was grateful for the time to process too, while they were at the
movies. Not that I got very far with it in an hour and a half. I was
mostly packing for the plane.

Kids react to news of death that way quite often.

Cele

Karen O'Mara
July 11th 03, 10:06 PM
"Dennis Here" oureply> wrote in message >...
> Freddie and I were there last year on our holiday.
> I didn't realise you lived there, should have checked your co-ordinates when
> you posted them!

Gee, that's a great trip you must have had... I'm planning on taking
Emily to Ireland for high school graduation sometime next year. You're
in Ireland, right?

Not sure exactly what's on our itinerary, but sure plan on kissing
that blarney stone.

Karen

Karen O'Mara
July 14th 03, 11:17 PM
"Paul Fritz" > wrote in message >...
> Are you doing a tour or freelancing it?
>
> If you are down at Blarney Castle, I would high recommend you stay in
> Kinsale for a night.

No tour... really just winging it. I have a lot of research to do
before we go. Thanks for the Kinsale note. Any particular place you'd
recommend?

I will be on a SUPER budget.

Thanks,
Karen