PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone

SA
July 10th 03, 02:50 PM
Hi there everyone, just new to the group having stumbled upon it
recently. I am mother to a gorgeous 11-year-old girl and we live in
Ireland, where is everyone here from?
I thought you might be interested to hear about a fantastic place I
was at recently when on holiday in Liverpool, England, (where I have
to say, they are more child-friendly than Ireland). It was a kind of
fun warehouse place where parents can bring their kids to play, there
was lots of mats, toy cookers, slides, wendy houses, things to climb
on, all sorts of fun stuff. But amazingly, it cost only £2.50 an hour
for the child to play or £4 for the day. The parents can sit and watch
their children, have coffee/tea (for only 60p) and most importantly
talk to other parents. When my daughter was younger and I was really,
really broke (as opposed to just being broke, lol) I would have loved
somewhere like this.
I just remember the isolation when my child was small and a place like
that would have been a life saver. Perhaps more remarkable was the
price, which really was for nothing, but they are obviously making
enough profit. So even if you could only manage to go once a week, its
still a fantastic support mechanism for both parents and child.
Anyway there you go, just thought maybe you would be interested in
hearing about the play place. If I had the money, I would open one
here in Dublin but you probably couldnt afford the insurance.
Bye for now
SA

Dennis Here
July 10th 03, 06:28 PM
SA wrote in message

>Hi there everyone, just new to the group having stumbled upon it
>recently. I am mother to a gorgeous 11-year-old girl and we live in
>Ireland, where is everyone here from?

Ireland!

>I thought you might be interested to hear about a fantastic place I
>was at recently when on holiday in Liverpool, England, (where I have
>to say, they are more child-friendly than Ireland).

I totally disagree and I have brought up children in both couties

>It was a kind of
>fun warehouse place where parents can bring their kids to play, there
>was lots of mats, toy cookers, slides, wendy houses, things to climb
>on, all sorts of fun stuff. But amazingly, it cost only £2.50 an hour
>for the child to play or £4 for the day. The parents can sit and watch
>their children, have coffee/tea (for only 60p) and most importantly
>talk to other parents.

Fun Factory in Kilkenny and Crackerjack in Carlow.
Welcome to assp

Dennis, three boys.

dolores
July 10th 03, 06:29 PM
"SA" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi there everyone, just new to the group having stumbled upon it
> recently. I am mother to a gorgeous 11-year-old girl and we live in
> Ireland, where is everyone here from?

Hi SA, nice to see another Irish person here. I live the other side of the
country to you, north west. I've two boys 11 and 13. We've just moved back
from UK and they are loving the life here, particularly having so many
lovely beaches within easy reach. They were raised in the city and wouldn't

> I thought you might be interested to hear about a fantastic place I
> was at recently when on holiday in Liverpool, England, (where I have
> to say, they are more child-friendly than Ireland).

Ooh I dont know about child friendly, but I never really went to L'Pool. UK
has to have so many facilities cos it just isn't safe to allow yer kids to
roam around, probably the same in Dublin.

It was a kind of
> fun warehouse place where parents can bring their kids to play,

Sounds like Whacky Warehouse. Yeah, the kids love it, mine have kinda
outgrown it.

there
> was lots of mats, toy cookers, slides, wendy houses, things to climb
> on, all sorts of fun stuff. But amazingly, it cost only £2.50 an hour
> for the child to play or £4 for the day. The parents can sit and watch
> their children, have coffee/tea (for only 60p) and most importantly
> talk to other parents.

LOL....That's if ya can hear what they're saying, these places are inclinded
to be very noisey...

When my daughter was younger and I was really,
> really broke (as opposed to just being broke, lol) I would have loved
> somewhere like this.
> I just remember the isolation when my child was small and a place like
> that would have been a life saver. Perhaps more remarkable was the
> price, which really was for nothing, but they are obviously making
> enough profit. So even if you could only manage to go once a week, its
> still a fantastic support mechanism for both parents and child.
> Anyway there you go, just thought maybe you would be interested in
> hearing about the play place. If I had the money, I would open one
> here in Dublin but you probably couldnt afford the insurance.

I'm surprised there aren't any in Dublin, how about a park? When my lads
were little the park was a life saver, gave me breathing space and used up
their boundless energy.

> Bye for now

Anyway, stick around it's nice to see the Irish contingent increased by 50%.
;)))

Dolores

Cele
July 10th 03, 08:24 PM
On 10 Jul 2003 06:50:50 -0700, (SA) wrote:

>Hi there everyone, just new to the group having stumbled upon it
>recently. I am mother to a gorgeous 11-year-old girl and we live in
>Ireland, where is everyone here from?

Welcome from Canada. I'm Celia, mother to daughters 15 1/2 & 18. I
live on the west coast of Canada.

Cele

dolores
July 10th 03, 10:15 PM
"Steve" > wrote in message
> I had an American friend visit the UK last year and he thought we are very
> child UN friendly......but I tried to explain that children are welcome in
> most places in the UK as long as they are moderatly well
> behaved......unfortunatly he seemed to think that letting his kid run
around
> a pub like a ninnie after boosting her caffeen supply with coke was
> moderatly well behaved....and then wondered why he kept attracting cross
> glanses and mutterings of "bloody Americans" :)

Thanks for the reminder why I am so glad to get my kids out of the UK....A
country where it is acceptable to let dogs **** everywhere that kids are
playing and where people tut tut at parents whos' kids are a bit
boisterous.

Dolores

CME
July 11th 03, 04:56 AM
"SA" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi there everyone, just new to the group having stumbled upon it
> recently. I am mother to a gorgeous 11-year-old girl and we live in
> Ireland, where is everyone here from?
> I thought you might be interested to hear about a fantastic place I
> was at recently when on holiday in Liverpool, England, (where I have
> to say, they are more child-friendly than Ireland). It was a kind of
> fun warehouse place where parents can bring their kids to play, there
> was lots of mats, toy cookers, slides, wendy houses, things to climb
> on, all sorts of fun stuff. But amazingly, it cost only £2.50 an hour
> for the child to play or £4 for the day. The parents can sit and watch
> their children, have coffee/tea (for only 60p) and most importantly
> talk to other parents. When my daughter was younger and I was really,
> really broke (as opposed to just being broke, lol) I would have loved
> somewhere like this.
> I just remember the isolation when my child was small and a place like
> that would have been a life saver. Perhaps more remarkable was the
> price, which really was for nothing, but they are obviously making
> enough profit. So even if you could only manage to go once a week, its
> still a fantastic support mechanism for both parents and child.
> Anyway there you go, just thought maybe you would be interested in
> hearing about the play place. If I had the money, I would open one
> here in Dublin but you probably couldnt afford the insurance.
> Bye for now
> SA

Welcome to the group, I'm from Alberta, Canada. Yeah, I really enjoy those
indoor playgrounds, boy, they sure some in handy during the winter and since
my children's b-day is in January I usually hold their birthday there as
well.

Christine
(Mom to 7 year old twin boys)

İkatİ
July 12th 03, 11:05 PM
"SA" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi there everyone, just new to the group having stumbled upon it
> recently. I am mother to a gorgeous 11-year-old girl and we live in
> Ireland, where is everyone here from?
> I thought you might be interested to hear about a fantastic place I
> was at recently when on holiday in Liverpool, England, (where I have
> to say, they are more child-friendly than Ireland). It was a kind of
> fun warehouse place where parents can bring their kids to play, there
> was lots of mats, toy cookers, slides, wendy houses, things to climb
> on, all sorts of fun stuff. But amazingly, it cost only £2.50 an hour
> for the child to play or £4 for the day. The parents can sit and watch
> their children, have coffee/tea (for only 60p) and most importantly
> talk to other parents. When my daughter was younger and I was really,
> really broke (as opposed to just being broke, lol) I would have loved
> somewhere like this.
> I just remember the isolation when my child was small and a place like
> that would have been a life saver. Perhaps more remarkable was the
> price, which really was for nothing, but they are obviously making
> enough profit. So even if you could only manage to go once a week, its
> still a fantastic support mechanism for both parents and child.
> Anyway there you go, just thought maybe you would be interested in
> hearing about the play place. If I had the money, I would open one
> here in Dublin but you probably couldnt afford the insurance.
> Bye for now
> SA

Welcome, from Canadian resident #3 and Alberta resident #2.
I'm Kat. Single mom - and no longer a single "teen" mom!!! (Yay)
Brandon is my boy, he's 2 and a half, and Zachary is 3 and a half.

dolores
July 12th 03, 11:38 PM
"Steve" > wrote in message

> "dolores"
>
> Sheeshhhhh you have issues baby.

Huh?

Dolores

Joelle
July 13th 03, 12:03 AM

>> "dolores"
>>
>> Sheeshhhhh you have issues baby.
>
>Huh?

Don't worry Delores, Steve is just jealous that everyone likes you better than
him.

Joelle

dolores
July 13th 03, 12:55 AM
"Joelle" > wrote in message

> >> "dolores"
> >>
> >> Sheeshhhhh you have issues baby.
> >
> >Huh?
>
> Don't worry Delores, Steve is just jealous that everyone likes you better
than
> him.
>
> Joelle

Hi Joelle, Actually, I think he's got the hots fer me!...Whadda reckon?

Dolores

turtledove
July 13th 03, 01:43 AM
"dolores" > wrote in message

> > >Huh?
> >
> > Don't worry Delores, Steve is just jealous that everyone likes you
better
> than
> > him.
> >
> > Joelle
>
> Hi Joelle, Actually, I think he's got the hots fer me!...Whadda reckon?
>
> Dolores

I had that already pegged!

*b

Joelle
July 13th 03, 03:45 AM
> >> "dolores"

>> >Huh?

>> Don't worry Delores, Steve is just jealous that everyone likes you better
>than
>> him.

>Hi Joelle, Actually, I think he's got the hots fer me!...Whadda reckon?

Well he used to have the hots for me and claimed I had *issues* so maybe he's
gotta thing for women with issues...

Joelle

SA
July 14th 03, 05:36 PM
It wasnt a whacky warehouse, which are great places, it was a kinda
community-run place and so cheap, which was my point. Whacky
warehouses are great places to, where you can bring some kids, have a
drink, lunch or whatever, but it requires some money, even though the
play part of it is relatively cheap. When my daughter was young, I did
all the free stuff, parks, exhibitions, etc, and we still go. But I
was just making the point that this particular place in LIverpool had
a support feeling to it, which you do not get at whacky warehouse, a
support which for many mothers would be invaluable. While it was
commercially run, it was cheap, cheerful and loads of fun for the
kids. I do not believe Ireland, well certainly Dublin anyway, to be
child-friendly, having brought my daughter up here, it isn't at all.
And I have been blown away by visits to England where families are
welcome. I know outside Dublin is not as bad, but we do have a lot to
learn in Ireland. Anyway it's great to meet you all and good to see so
many other Irish people here.
SA

[...]

Rolly The Pervert
July 16th 03, 01:43 AM
"dolores" > wrote in message

> Oh yer dead right there, and since yer so new to the group I wont scare
the
> **** outa ya by saying excatly what I do think of the Irish attitude to
> children.......apart from the fact that we are supposed to be a pro-family
> country, but yet children are treated appallingly, and their facilities
> leave a whole lot to be desired.....

You must mean the orangemen who throw rocks at Catholic school kids and
believe Englands Genocide of the irish people should continue

Dennis Here
July 17th 03, 08:55 PM
SA wrote in message

>And I have been blown away by visits to England where families are
>welcome.

As long as you confine the children to a back room whilst having to climb
over half a dozen dogs to get to the bar where the children are not allowed.
Of course you can always take your children to a park so that they can get
covered in dog ****.
Then again you could let the kids play on the pavement but that is covered
in dog **** too whilst every lamp post stinks of dog ****.
When my son walks up to other children in England and says "Hello, my name
is Freddie" they all either clam up or run off! Whereas over here in Ireland
all children just wade in and introduce themselves.
The English as a nation, and I am English, have their priorities wrong.

>I know outside Dublin is not as bad, but we do have a lot to
>learn in Ireland.

Seems to me that it depends on what you want out of life.

Dennis

arrowlili1
July 19th 03, 12:48 AM
I just have to say that, although there is a lot of dog poop around, some of
us do clean up after our pooches.
My daughter also introduces herself to any child willing to play with her.
Not everyone in England is anti social! :-)

anna

"Dennis Here" oureply>
wrote in message ...

> SA wrote in message
>
> >And I have been blown away by visits to England where families are
> >welcome.
>
> As long as you confine the children to a back room whilst having to climb
> over half a dozen dogs to get to the bar where the children are not
allowed.
> Of course you can always take your children to a park so that they can get
> covered in dog ****.
> Then again you could let the kids play on the pavement but that is covered
> in dog **** too whilst every lamp post stinks of dog ****.
> When my son walks up to other children in England and says "Hello, my name
> is Freddie" they all either clam up or run off! Whereas over here in
Ireland
> all children just wade in and introduce themselves.
> The English as a nation, and I am English, have their priorities wrong.
>
> >I know outside Dublin is not as bad, but we do have a lot to
> >learn in Ireland.
>
> Seems to me that it depends on what you want out of life.
>
> Dennis

dolores
July 20th 03, 03:03 AM
"arrowlili1" > wrote in message
> I just have to say that, although there is a lot of dog poop around, some
of
> us do clean up after our pooches.
> My daughter also introduces herself to any child willing to play with her.
> Not everyone in England is anti social! :-)
>
> anna

So Anna, you wont mind then if my kids ramble up to your front garden, do a
poop, then pee over your front step, then hurl abuse at you if you come
out.....

Oh yeah!... I *might* clean it up.....but heck!!....sometimes it just sooooo
damn sticky!!....and hey!!!....I dont wanna carry my kids ****e in my
pocket....'specially if I havent got anything to put it in!!...

It's dirty, disgusting, and very very dangerous. 100 years ago we used to
live with animals in the bottom of the house, while the humans lived
upstairs......never heard of them *sleeping* with the livestock in their
beds did ya?!?!?...When it comes to dogs the English are unatural. You
would think they gave birth to the bloody things they way they pamper and
cosset them.....Pity they not so protective of their children.......isnt
it!!...

Dog owners can bring their dogs to the park and let them off the
leash......I could never bring my kids to the park and let them enjoy the
freedom....I almost had to put *them* on a leash......Cos. 1. perverts, 2.
dog ****e, and 3. there were a lot of dogs around that could potentially
attack my kids....

Dolores