PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me...?

July 10th 03, 07:55 PM
has anyone notice the serious lack of support for SINGLE FATHERS in the real
world? Maybe I just have overlooked it. Everything having to do with single
parents just seems to always be geared to SINGLE MOTHERS.

Just an observation. If I'm wrong...I'm sorry!

Rolly The Pervert
July 10th 03, 09:38 PM
> wrote in message
> has anyone notice the serious lack of support for SINGLE FATHERS in the
real
> world? Maybe I just have overlooked it. Everything having to do with
single
> parents just seems to always be geared to SINGLE MOTHERS.
>
> Just an observation. If I'm wrong...I'm sorry!

Tom, you got Justin a toy, where's mine!

Joelle
July 10th 03, 09:56 PM
What kind of support are you looking for that you are not getting?

Joelle

dolores
July 10th 03, 10:22 PM
> wrote in message
> has anyone notice the serious lack of support for SINGLE FATHERS in the
real
> world? Maybe I just have overlooked it. Everything having to do with
single
> parents just seems to always be geared to SINGLE MOTHERS.
>
> Just an observation. If I'm wrong...I'm sorry!

That's probably something to do with the fact that single fathers are only a
recent phemonenom, historically it was usually the mother that was left to
raise the kids, while the man was gone off somewhere on a jolly, or had
simply abandoned his family. Thankfully things are changing. And count
yourself lucky that you are a modern day single parent. Imagine how tough
it would have been 20 30 years ago, hell even ten years ago...I've seen some
huge changes in the past decade wrt single parents, and if the facilities
that are currently in place were there when I first became a s/p my life
would have been a damn sight easier.

Also, I reckon that if you go anywhere that is geared towards single mothers
you will probably find that you will be welcomed, regardless of your sex.

Dolores

Rolly The Pervert
July 10th 03, 10:31 PM
"dolores" > wrote in message

> That's probably something to do with the fact that single fathers are only
> recent phemonenom, historically it was usually the mother that was left to
> raise the kids, while the man was gone off somewhere on a jolly, or had
> simply abandoned his family. Thankfully things are changing. And count

Actually delores, putting aside your ignorace for a moment, the biggest
reason you didn't see single dads with kids is COURTS wouldn't and still
don't like to give the father custody unless the mom is in really really bad
shape, and even then.

Dennis Here
July 10th 03, 11:17 PM
wrote in message ...

>has anyone notice the serious lack of support for SINGLE FATHERS in the
real
>world?

No

> Maybe I just have overlooked it. Everything having to do with single
>parents just seems to always be geared to SINGLE MOTHERS.

That could be because about 90% of single parents ARE single mothers.

Dennis

turtledove
July 11th 03, 01:11 AM
> wrote in message
> has anyone notice the serious lack of support for SINGLE FATHERS in the
real
> world? Maybe I just have overlooked it. Everything having to do with
single
> parents just seems to always be geared to SINGLE MOTHERS.
>
> Just an observation. If I'm wrong...I'm sorry!

Guess you haven't been on this group very long. Why don't you hang around
and see how many fathers are in the group....

Karen O'Mara
July 11th 03, 06:21 PM
" > wrote in message >...
> has anyone notice the serious lack of support for SINGLE FATHERS in the real
> world? Maybe I just have overlooked it. Everything having to do with single
> parents just seems to always be geared to SINGLE MOTHERS.
>
> Just an observation. If I'm wrong...I'm sorry!

Do you mean financial support or emotional support or what?

We all have the same resources available to us, it seems to me...

Karen

July 12th 03, 03:38 AM
It just seems that most of the programs are geared towards single mothers.
My problems is the even though I don't make the BIG $$$$, I make more than
most supplemental programs allow ( rent, day care subsidies, etc, etc...)

It get to be a bit frustrating when you can't get in to any of the programs
to get a bit of help 'cuz you "make too much money", yet you live from check
to check trying to balance food, utilities, clothes, and other
necessaties...

Don't pay me any mind, I'm just frustrated... Once I move, things will have
a different focus...
I just really need a trip to Disneyland!

- Vince Vega

> From: (Karen O'Mara)
> Newsgroups: alt.support.single-parents
> Date: 11 Jul 2003 10:21:18 -0700
> Subject: Re: Is it just me...?
>
> " > wrote in message
>> has anyone notice the serious lack of support for SINGLE FATHERS in the real
>> world? Maybe I just have overlooked it. Everything having to do with single
>> parents just seems to always be geared to SINGLE MOTHERS.
>>
>> Just an observation. If I'm wrong...I'm sorry!
>
> Do you mean financial support or emotional support or what?
>
> We all have the same resources available to us, it seems to me...
>
> Karen

Joelle
July 12th 03, 02:40 PM
>It just seems that most of the programs are geared towards single mothers.
>My problems is the even though I don't make the BIG $$$$, I make more than
>most supplemental programs allow ( rent, day care subsidies, etc, etc...)

oh so support for you means money. Well I guess we can't help you with that.
But if you are in the US, I'm pretty sure it would be illegal for any
government programs that dole out money to discriminate against men.

>It get to be a bit frustrating when you can't get in to any of the programs
>to get a bit of help 'cuz you "make too much money", yet you live from check
>to check trying to balance food, utilities, clothes, and other
>necessaties...

Why don't you look at the positive side, despite the difficulties, you are
able to support your family and you can be proud that you don't have to rely on
charity to support your family.

>I just really need a trip to Disneyland!

Yea too bad there aren't any government programs for that...

Joelle

CME
July 13th 03, 07:21 PM
"Steve" > wrote in message
> I agree Vince the whole thing is set up to help single mothers, but there
> are also the up sides as well, I never suffer from the down ass image that
> single mothers have to put up with, in fact generally speaking I get a
great
> deal of respect from women for being a custodial father...people either
> think her mother is dead or a complete waste of space....kinda depressing
> really how women cant seem to win on that one.....anyway husbands hate me
> for some reason........but mothers seem to love a single dad, and in my
> experience of late married women are the most unfaithfull, adulteress
bunch
> you could ever meet, you would not believe some of the comments that I get
> when I pick my kid up from school, been asked out on dates, suggestive
> comments, all married, all with kids, but then when you see the state on
> their husbands it all becomes clear........I see many years of fun
> ahead............anyway in answer to your question I dont think we need as
> much support as women......single dads dont seem to suffer from the victim
> mentality that women do and society has us down as good examples rather
than
> down ass social security leeches.
>
> Rant over, good day.

Wow, I'm not even going to dignify this post with a comment, other than I
think you're a troll.

Christine

Steve
July 13th 03, 07:28 PM
"CME"

I am not a troll, I am however as extreme in my views as the most
intolerant, feminist, male hating, lesbian turning woman that you would be
unlucky enough to meet.......and therefore lickely to be unpopular here as I
am not into misery or being a victim of men or whatever.

Steve

Laura
July 13th 03, 07:49 PM
"Steve" > wrote in message >...
> I agree Vince the whole thing is set up to help single mothers, but there
> are also the up sides as well, I never suffer from the down ass image that
> single mothers have to put up with, in fact generally speaking I get a great
> deal of respect from women for being a custodial father...people either
> think her mother is dead or a complete waste of space....kinda depressing
> really how women cant seem to win on that one.....anyway husbands hate me
> for some reason........but mothers seem to love a single dad, and in my
> experience of late married women are the most unfaithfull, adulteress bunch
> you could ever meet, you would not believe some of the comments that I get
> when I pick my kid up from school, been asked out on dates, suggestive
> comments, all married, all with kids, but then when you see the state on
> their husbands it all becomes clear........I see many years of fun
> ahead............anyway in answer to your question I dont think we need as
> much support as women......single dads dont seem to suffer from the victim
> mentality that women do and society has us down as good examples rather than
> down ass social security leeches.
>
> Rant over, good day.

Those dates you're asked out on are probably requests for your kids
and her kids to play together, and the suggestive comments are
probably part of your rich fantasy life, but I do agree with you that
people's first reaction to single fathers is more positive than it is
to single mothers. I've never been in it for the recognition though, I
just want to do right by my kids.

lm

Joelle
July 13th 03, 10:29 PM
> am not a troll, I am however as extreme in my views as the most
>intolerant, feminist, male hating, lesbian turning woman that you would be
>unlucky enough to meet..

So you are an intolerant woman hating, gay turning man that we have been
unlucky enough to meet.

gottcha.

Joelle

July 13th 03, 11:30 PM
"Paul Fritz" > wrote in message

> "Rolly The Pervert" > wrote in message
> >
> > "dolores" > wrote in message
> > >

> > > That's probably something to do with the fact that single fathers are
> only
> > > recent phemonenom, historically it was usually the mother that was
left
> > > raise the kids, while the man was gone off somewhere on a jolly, or
had
> > > simply abandoned his family. Thankfully things are changing. And
count

> > Actually delores, putting aside your ignorace for a moment, the biggest
> > reason you didn't see single dads with kids is COURTS wouldn't and still
> > don't like to give the father custody unless the mom is in really really
> bad
> > shape, and even then.
>
> Ans a second point of ignorance......historically, the child(ren) remained
> with the father, it is only in the 20th century that custody to the mother
> came to be.

That is because women and children have historically been chattle, property
of men, either of their father or their brother or of their husband.
Because of patriarchy, rule of the fathers.

--We've come a short way, and don't call me baby.

dolores
July 13th 03, 11:32 PM
"Steve" > wrote in message
> I agree Vince the whole thing is set up to help single mothers, but there
> are also the up sides as well, I never suffer from the down ass image that
> single mothers have to put up with, in fact generally speaking I get a
great
> deal of respect from women for being a custodial father...people either
> think her mother is dead or a complete waste of space....kinda depressing
> really how women cant seem to win on that one.....anyway husbands hate me
> for some reason........but mothers seem to love a single dad, and in my
> experience of late married women are the most unfaithfull, adulteress
bunch
> you could ever meet, you would not believe some of the comments that I get
> when I pick my kid up from school,

Thought you said you were working all day, seems yer telling porky pies
Troll.

been asked out on dates, suggestive
> comments, all married, all with kids,

The troll is lying.

but then when you see the state on
> their husbands it all becomes clear........I see many years of fun
> ahead............anyway in answer to your question I dont think we need as
> much support as women......single dads dont seem to suffer from the victim
> mentality that women do and society has us down as good examples rather
than
> down ass social security leeches.

No wonder she left you

Dolores

dolores
July 13th 03, 11:34 PM
"Laura" > wrote in message
m...
> "Steve" > wrote in message
> > I agree Vince the whole thing is set up to help single mothers, but
there
> > are also the up sides as well, I never suffer from the down ass image
that
> > single mothers have to put up with, in fact generally speaking I get a
great
> > deal of respect from women for being a custodial father...people either
> > think her mother is dead or a complete waste of space....kinda
depressing
> > really how women cant seem to win on that one.....anyway husbands hate
me
> > for some reason........but mothers seem to love a single dad, and in my
> > experience of late married women are the most unfaithfull, adulteress
bunch
> > you could ever meet, you would not believe some of the comments that I
get
> > when I pick my kid up from school, been asked out on dates, suggestive
> > comments, all married, all with kids, but then when you see the state on
> > their husbands it all becomes clear........I see many years of fun
> > ahead............anyway in answer to your question I dont think we need
as
> > much support as women......single dads dont seem to suffer from the
victim
> > mentality that women do and society has us down as good examples rather
than
> > down ass social security leeches.
> >
> > Rant over, good day.
>
> Those dates you're asked out on are probably requests for your kids
> and her kids to play together, and the suggestive comments are
> probably part of your rich fantasy life, but I do agree with you that
> people's first reaction to single fathers is more positive than it is
> to single mothers. I've never been in it for the recognition though, I
> just want to do right by my kids.
>
> lm

I wouldnt give this eedjit any credence...And for the first time ever I
would suggest that everyone killfiles him, cos he's just a pain in the ass.
Probably has no friends, lonely and desperate.

Dolores

July 13th 03, 11:35 PM
THANK YOU!!!!

"Laura" > wrote in message
m...

> Those dates you're asked out on are probably requests for your kids
> and her kids to play together, and the suggestive comments are
> probably part of your rich fantasy life, but I do agree with you that
> people's first reaction to single fathers is more positive than it is
> to single mothers. I've never been in it for the recognition though, I
> just want to do right by my kids.
>
> lm

Tiffany
July 13th 03, 11:47 PM
dolores > wrote in message

> "Laura" > wrote in message
> m...
> > "Steve" > wrote in message
> > > I agree Vince the whole thing is set up to help single mothers, but
> there
> > > are also the up sides as well, I never suffer from the down ass image
> that
> > > single mothers have to put up with, in fact generally speaking I get a
> great
> > > deal of respect from women for being a custodial father...people
either
> > > think her mother is dead or a complete waste of space....kinda
> depressing
> > > really how women cant seem to win on that one.....anyway husbands hate
> me
> > > for some reason........but mothers seem to love a single dad, and in
my
> > > experience of late married women are the most unfaithfull, adulteress
> bunch
> > > you could ever meet, you would not believe some of the comments that I
> get
> > > when I pick my kid up from school, been asked out on dates, suggestive
> > > comments, all married, all with kids, but then when you see the state
on
> > > their husbands it all becomes clear........I see many years of fun
> > > ahead............anyway in answer to your question I dont think we
need
> as
> > > much support as women......single dads dont seem to suffer from the
> victim
> > > mentality that women do and society has us down as good examples
rather
> than
> > > down ass social security leeches.
> > >
> > > Rant over, good day.
> >
> > Those dates you're asked out on are probably requests for your kids
> > and her kids to play together, and the suggestive comments are
> > probably part of your rich fantasy life, but I do agree with you that
> > people's first reaction to single fathers is more positive than it is
> > to single mothers. I've never been in it for the recognition though, I
> > just want to do right by my kids.
> >
> > lm
>
> I wouldnt give this eedjit any credence...And for the first time ever I
> would suggest that everyone killfiles him, cos he's just a pain in the
ass.
> Probably has no friends, lonely and desperate.
>
> Dolores

Agreee with you on this one. We should all ignore him till he gets bored.
Probaly some school kid with nothing better to do anyways.

Paul Fritz
July 14th 03, 03:26 PM
"CME" > wrote in message

> "Steve" > wrote in message
> > I agree Vince the whole thing is set up to help single mothers, but
there
> > are also the up sides as well, I never suffer from the down ass image
that
> > single mothers have to put up with, in fact generally speaking I get a
> great
> > deal of respect from women for being a custodial father...people either
> > think her mother is dead or a complete waste of space....kinda
depressing
> > really how women cant seem to win on that one.....anyway husbands hate
me
> > for some reason........but mothers seem to love a single dad, and in my
> > experience of late married women are the most unfaithfull, adulteress
> bunch
> > you could ever meet, you would not believe some of the comments that I
get
> > when I pick my kid up from school, been asked out on dates, suggestive
> > comments, all married, all with kids, but then when you see the state on
> > their husbands it all becomes clear........I see many years of fun
> > ahead............anyway in answer to your question I dont think we need
as
> > much support as women......single dads dont seem to suffer from the
victim
> > mentality that women do and society has us down as good examples rather
> than
> > down ass social security leeches.
> >
> > Rant over, good day.
> >

> Wow, I'm not even going to dignify this post with a comment, other than I
> think you're a troll.
>
> Christine

There is a simple (generalized) answer.......asshole men attract asshole
women.............

Joelle
July 14th 03, 04:01 PM
>nd in my
>> > experience of late married women are the most unfaithfull, adulteress
>> bunch
>> > you could ever meet, you would not believe some of the comments that I
>get

>There is a simple (generalized) answer.......asshole men attract asshole
>women............

I was thinking that hounddogs attract bitches in heat.

Joelle

Paul Fritz
July 14th 03, 04:28 PM
"Joelle" > wrote in message
> >nd in my
> >> bunch
> >get
>

> >There is a simple (generalized) answer.......asshole men attract asshole
> >women............
>
> I was thinking that hounddogs attract bitches in heat.
>
> Joelle

LOL.......or is it the opposite????

Karen O'Mara
July 14th 03, 11:32 PM
" > wrote in message >...
> It just seems that most of the programs are geared towards single mothers.
> My problems is the even though I don't make the BIG $$$$, I make more than
> most supplemental programs allow ( rent, day care subsidies, etc, etc...)
>
> It get to be a bit frustrating when you can't get in to any of the programs
> to get a bit of help 'cuz you "make too much money", yet you live from check
> to check trying to balance food, utilities, clothes, and other
> necessaties...
>
> Don't pay me any mind, I'm just frustrated... Once I move, things will have
> a different focus...
> I just really need a trip to Disneyland!

A life inside the Disneyland berm is what we need!

Seriously, if you're lower- to middle-income, you lose, whether you
have kids or not. The middle area... too rich for perks, too poor to
get ahead. Having kids just makes it more obvious. Whether you're a
mom or a dad.

Even Disneyland costs too much when you think about it.

Karen