PDA

View Full Version : Knee injury any ideas?

Jen
October 26th 03, 07:37 AM
Hello again,

I just recently started reading this group but I have an advice question for
all of you. I tore my meniscus (cartilage) in my right knee and I have a
very active 2.5 year old. I am having trouble doing the most simple tasks
from laundry to trying to get on the floor to wash her hair in the tub. I
was wondering if anyone else has any ideas and maybe has been through the
same thing. I am in a brace that immoblizes my right leg and crutches which
are the most ackward thing to try to deal with while bringing in groceries
and even trying to get in and out of the car to drive. (I only drive when
absolutely necessary) But, Im not sure if maybe one of you other parents
have ran into an injury that you have had to deal with in the mix of being a
single parent. I have no family helping out in any way and my friends try
to help when they can but between college and work obligations of their own
it is hard for them to find the time. Any advice, suggestions, or personal
experience stories would be appreciated.

Jennifer

Jen
October 26th 03, 04:39 PM
Although my friends are a support my, family disowned me after I chose not
to have an abortion when I got pregnany with my daughter. But, your idea of
church was one I had not though of. Thank you for sharing your information
with me.

Jennifer

Jen
October 27th 03, 05:56 AM
Thanks Anna,

The movie idea will be put to use. I definitly have felt alone as a
single parent and bein immobalized for the most part. All the other knee
injury stories from friends, all have a spouse.....so dealing with life is
no where near compairable.to the situation I am in. It is nice to see
someone who not only understands, but also has a child about the same age.
Where are you from if you dont mind me asking?

Jennifer

arrowlili1
October 27th 03, 07:32 PM
I think your dignity takes a bit of a bashing at the best of times when you
are a single parent, but when you are incappacitated and you feel like you
can't even look after your child properly, it takes a lot more than a
bashing.

Also when a child is this age, getting out to somewhere as simple as the
park can be a life line with an active child. However you need to consider
that your daughter is also at the age where she wants to help with simple
tasks and getting her involved with cooking or helping with tidying her toys
will keep her occupied and build her confidence. Maybe she can pick her
toys off the floor, to save you bending, and then you can put them away.
Things like that will benefit the both of you.

Also she is getting to the age where she's starting to use her imagination.
You're not going to be able to physically play with her the way you'd like
but that doesn't mean you can't have her sit next to you whilst you read her
a story or play I Spy etc.

I will reiterate that you have to consentrate as much as is humanly
possible, on getting better. The knee joint is the only part of the human
body that doesn't regenerate itself (as far as I've been told) so you don't
want to mess it up long term. Get yourself better so you can get things
back to how they should be.

I agree that single parenting can be very lonely and disheartning, but think
how much lonelier it would be if we didn't have the internet :-) There's a
great bunch of people here, and even if I don't get to visit as much as I'd
like, now that I've started my new job, it's always here when you need it.

I live in the U.K. by the way, where are you?

anna

"Jen" > wrote in message
> Thanks Anna,
>
> The movie idea will be put to use. I definitly have felt alone as a
> single parent and bein immobalized for the most part. All the other knee
> injury stories from friends, all have a spouse.....so dealing with life is
> no where near compairable.to the situation I am in. It is nice to see
> someone who not only understands, but also has a child about the same age.
> Where are you from if you dont mind me asking?
>
> Jennifer

Jen
October 27th 03, 11:07 PM
Anna,

I live in the United States. In Idaho, land of potatos to be exact. :)

Jennifer