PDA

View Full Version : We are going ski-ing!

Dennis Here
November 2nd 03, 09:30 PM
Not sure if I mentioned it but my middle son is back from Australia and is
now working in Italy (he teaches English) not too far from the ski slopes.
As he only has a short holiday I have decided to take Freddie and go out to
see him this time. So this year Christmas will be away as we leave on
Christmas eve and will be there by late afternoon so we will still have
plenty of time to check for chimneys and hang up our stockings.
The trouble is that Santa has to negotiate the Alps with a full sleigh so I
am looking for ideas for small lightweight presents that fit into the
corners of a suitcase without setting off security alarms.
Any suggestions?

Dennis

Tiffany
November 2nd 03, 10:59 PM
Dennis Here oureply>
wrote in message ...
> Not sure if I mentioned it but my middle son is back from Australia and is
> now working in Italy (he teaches English) not too far from the ski
slopes.
> As he only has a short holiday I have decided to take Freddie and go out
> see him this time. So this year Christmas will be away as we leave on
> Christmas eve and will be there by late afternoon so we will still have
> plenty of time to check for chimneys and hang up our stockings.
> The trouble is that Santa has to negotiate the Alps with a full sleigh so
> am looking for ideas for small lightweight presents that fit into the
> corners of a suitcase without setting off security alarms.
> Any suggestions?
>
> Dennis

Hmm.... he is how old?

Moon Shyne
November 2nd 03, 11:45 PM
"Dennis Here" oureply> wrote
in message ...
> Not sure if I mentioned it but my middle son is back from Australia and is
> now working in Italy (he teaches English) not too far from the ski slopes.
> As he only has a short holiday I have decided to take Freddie and go out to
> see him this time. So this year Christmas will be away as we leave on
> Christmas eve and will be there by late afternoon so we will still have
> plenty of time to check for chimneys and hang up our stockings.
> The trouble is that Santa has to negotiate the Alps with a full sleigh so I
> am looking for ideas for small lightweight presents that fit into the
> corners of a suitcase without setting off security alarms.
> Any suggestions?

Ship 'em ahead of time. We're leaving Xmas eve morning to go see my family, so
I"ve already arranged to ship out the presents (unwrapped, you can wrap them
there) 10 days ahead of time, and my parents will stash 'em. Then when I get
there, all I have to do is wrap and label 'em, and we're good to go on Xmas
morning.

> Dennis

turtledove
November 3rd 03, 02:54 AM
When my son was six he had the opportunity to go on a cruise at
Christmastime with his dad. (some of you may remember this trip) Anyhoo,
his dad and I had agreed that 'Santa' was going to be at my house. This
left a problem, because he'd be out in the middle of the ocean on Christmas
day. So...we had 'Santa' write my son a letter explaining that he knew all
about the cruise and that he brought his presents to him early so he
wouldn't have to worry about it on the ship.

it worked perfect! We had 'Santa' early, and then a family present exchange
when he got back.

if that doesn't help, I'll start thinking of toy suggestions for ya!

hugs,
*bri
"Dennis Here" oureply>
wrote in message ...
> Not sure if I mentioned it but my middle son is back from Australia and is
> now working in Italy (he teaches English) not too far from the ski
slopes.
> As he only has a short holiday I have decided to take Freddie and go out
> see him this time. So this year Christmas will be away as we leave on
> Christmas eve and will be there by late afternoon so we will still have
> plenty of time to check for chimneys and hang up our stockings.
> The trouble is that Santa has to negotiate the Alps with a full sleigh so
> am looking for ideas for small lightweight presents that fit into the
> corners of a suitcase without setting off security alarms.
> Any suggestions?
>
> Dennis

Dennis Here
November 4th 03, 05:54 PM
Tiffany wrote in message ...

>Hmm.... he is how old?

Nearly eight.

Dennis

Dennis Here
November 4th 03, 05:56 PM
Moon Shyne wrote in message ...

>> Any suggestions?
>
>Ship 'em ahead of time.

So simple I overlooked it! Thanks

>We're leaving Xmas eve morning to go see my family, so
>I"ve already arranged to ship out the presents (unwrapped, you can wrap
them
>there) 10 days ahead of time, and my parents will stash 'em. Then when I
get
>there, all I have to do is wrap and label 'em, and we're good to go on Xmas
>morning.

I think I'll send them wrapped as we arrive late on Christmas eve and we
will be in a small appartment.

Dennis

Dennis Here
November 4th 03, 06:05 PM
'Kate <'Kate> wrote in message

>Ship the presents to your son. Bring an extra suitcase.

Extra suitcase? I only have one! A 25 year old "Globetrotter"
http://www.globetrottersuitcase.co.uk/
that has done all my family holidays over three continents.

>Anything can be made into "something suspicious". If your son takes you
>to the airport and the screener won't let an item on the plane, he can
>ship it to you. Have a box ready just in case.

Another good idea, thanks but the baggage screening is after entering the
departure area so son will not be allowed through. Have to pack it all in
the Globetrotter.

Dennis

Dennis Here
November 4th 03, 06:07 PM
turtledove wrote in message ...

>Anyhoo,
>his dad and I had agreed that 'Santa' was going to be at my house. This
>left a problem, because he'd be out in the middle of the ocean on Christmas
>day. So...we had 'Santa' write my son a letter explaining that he knew all
>about the cruise and that he brought his presents to him early so he
>wouldn't have to worry about it on the ship.
>
>it worked perfect! We had 'Santa' early, and then a family present
exchange
>when he got back.

Yeah, that is what I thought I would do and still will for the bulky items
but I will ship over some surprises in advance as well.

Dennis

Tiffany
November 4th 03, 06:12 PM
How about one of those bags that fold up? Then on the return, you can fill
it up.

Dennis Here oureply>
wrote in message ...

> 'Kate <'Kate> wrote in message
> >
> >Ship the presents to your son. Bring an extra suitcase.
>

> Extra suitcase? I only have one! A 25 year old "Globetrotter"
> http://www.globetrottersuitcase.co.uk/
> that has done all my family holidays over three continents.
>
> >Anything can be made into "something suspicious". If your son takes you
> >to the airport and the screener won't let an item on the plane, he can
> >ship it to you. Have a box ready just in case.
>

> Another good idea, thanks but the baggage screening is after entering the
> departure area so son will not be allowed through. Have to pack it all in
> the Globetrotter.
>
> Dennis

Tiffany
November 4th 03, 06:14 PM
Dennis Here oureply>
wrote in message ...

> Tiffany wrote in message ...
> >
> >Hmm.... he is how old?
>
> Nearly eight.
>
> Dennis

Even if you ship ahead, you want to be buy lightly. I have to buy and ship
gifts all the time and it can cost alot to ship a heavy gift.

I really don't know..... what does he like? books? music? toys? legos?

Dennis Here
November 4th 03, 06:38 PM
Tiffany wrote in message ...

>I really don't know..... what does he like? books? music? toys? legos?

Looking like dungeons and dragons, war hammer and other metalic war game
stuff ATM. Just what the Xray machines love!

Dennis

Dennis Here
November 4th 03, 06:41 PM
Tiffany wrote in message ...
>How about one of those bags that fold up? Then on the return, you can fill
>it up.

I think I'll stick to small presents this time.
I travel very light, 12 months around Africa with a medium holdall, the type
most people use for an overnight stay!

Dennis

Tiffany
November 4th 03, 07:43 PM
Dennis Here oureply>
wrote in message ...

> Tiffany wrote in message ...
> >How about one of those bags that fold up? Then on the return, you can
fill
> >it up.
>

> I think I'll stick to small presents this time.
> I travel very light, 12 months around Africa with a medium holdall, the
type
> most people use for an overnight stay!
>
> Dennis

Well, how much clothes do you need to hike around Africa anyways? lol

Small presents works fine. I am sure your kid will be happy with anything.

Moon Shyne
November 5th 03, 02:00 AM
"Dennis Here" oureply> wrote
in message ...

> Moon Shyne wrote in message ...
>
> >> Any suggestions?
> >
> >Ship 'em ahead of time.
>
> So simple I overlooked it! Thanks
>
> >We're leaving Xmas eve morning to go see my family, so
> >I"ve already arranged to ship out the presents (unwrapped, you can wrap
> them
> >there) 10 days ahead of time, and my parents will stash 'em. Then when I
> get
> >there, all I have to do is wrap and label 'em, and we're good to go on Xmas
> >morning.
>
> I think I'll send them wrapped as we arrive late on Christmas eve and we
> will be in a small appartment.

Unwrapped - with the anti-terrorist steps in place, if the parcel is inspected,
they may want to unwrap everything to confirm it is what you claim it is. I had
to do this when I went to England with my kids for Xmas some years ago - we took
everything, but unwrapped, so that it could be inspected - ok, so I stayed up
half the night wrapping presents - isn't that how Xmas always goes, anyway? <G>