PDA

View Full Version : guns in the house

lm
November 14th 03, 09:51 PM
Do you have them?

What kind?

Where/how are they kept?

What about in your extended family's homes?

What about guns in your kids' friends' houses?

Do you know?

Do you care?

Do you let them play there?

How old are your kids?

lm

zyggy
November 16th 03, 02:16 AM
bad idea

Dusty
November 16th 03, 02:44 AM
Do you have knives in the house? How about matches or lighters? Perhaps
propane for the stove or the grill on the deck/porch? Got a hammer and
nails? Model glue? How about a pool in the yard?

These sorts of "questionaires" do nothing but inflame and agravate those of
us that know for a fact that people do have these things (amongst orther
things) in and around their homes.

The point I'm attempting to make is, so what? I have them, my friends have
them, plenty of people I know have them. So what? We are granted the right
to own such items by verture of the US Constitution. Any person (competent
or not) in this country can own whatever they want to. And there is no need
to be fearful if you've taken the time to educate yourself and your children
in the use of firearms.

Education, not blind fear, is the ONLY way to stop the stupidity of these
"questionnaires" and those that create them.

lm
November 16th 03, 02:50 AM
On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 21:44:23 -0500, "Dusty" > wrote:

>Do you have knives in the house? How about matches or lighters? Perhaps
>propane for the stove or the grill on the deck/porch? Got a hammer and
>nails? Model glue? How about a pool in the yard?
>
>These sorts of "questionaires" do nothing but inflame and agravate those of
>us that know for a fact that people do have these things (amongst orther
>things) in and around their homes.
>
>The point I'm attempting to make is, so what? I have them, my friends have
>them, plenty of people I know have them. So what? We are granted the right
>to own such items by verture of the US Constitution. Any person (competent
>or not) in this country can own whatever they want to. And there is no need
>to be fearful if you've taken the time to educate yourself and your children
>in the use of firearms.
>
>Education, not blind fear, is the ONLY way to stop the stupidity of these
>"questionnaires" and those that create them.

Oh don't be such a pill. Look at my posting history. I'm not trying to
inflame anything. I've just moved to a part of the country where
attitudes toward gun use and ownership are very different to what I'm
used to and I'm interested in learning how other people from other
areas see the issue. I'm thinking that my own attitudes may have to be
revisited in light of my children's reality. That being the case, I
thank you for the comments you made that actually address the
questions I raised, and I'll ignore the polemic crap in which you
packaged it.

lm

Dusty
November 16th 03, 03:31 AM
"lm" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 21:44:23 -0500, "Dusty" > wrote:

[snip]

> Oh don't be such a pill. Look at my posting history. I'm not trying to
> inflame anything. I've just moved to a part of the country where
> attitudes toward gun use and ownership are very different to what I'm
> used to and I'm interested in learning how other people from other
> areas see the issue. I'm thinking that my own attitudes may have to be
> revisited in light of my children's reality. That being the case, I
> thank you for the comments you made that actually address the
> questions I raised, and I'll ignore the polemic crap in which you
> packaged it.
>
> lm

Since I don't care to go traipsing through 100,000+ newsgroups, I'll decline
on attempting to trace your previous postings. But I do believe that your
original posting about firearms was exactly that, a blatant attempt to start
a flame war. But, that's my opinion, live with it.

So, did you find yourself moving to the land of Deliverance? Or did you
just move to the city? Perhaps something in between, then?

I'd suggest that you go down to the local Rod and Gun Club and ask them if
they sponsor the NRA's Safe Hunter Course. If I remember it, the course is
2-3 days (a fair amount of both hands on and book reading - loads of
question and answer time!!). An extremely well thought out course! I'd
recommend it to anyone who's thinking of owning a hand-gun, rifle or shotgun
(or already owns one).

Hell, take the course even if you only want to know what to do with a fire
arm. What they're about, how to safely handle them, storage, history, etc..
You'll have an eye opening, mind expanding time. I can all but guarantee
it!

Joelle
November 16th 03, 03:50 AM
>But I do believe that your
>original posting about firearms was exactly that, a blatant attempt to start
>a flame war.

Who the hell are you and do you have anything to say about being a single
parent?

Or are you just popping up to assert your right to own a gun AND be an asshole?

Joelle
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page - St
Augustine
Joelle

turtledove
November 16th 03, 04:13 AM
"Dusty" > wrote in message ...

> > Oh don't be such a pill. Look at my posting history. I'm not trying to
> > inflame anything. I've just moved to a part of the country where
> > attitudes toward gun use and ownership are very different to what I'm
> > used to and I'm interested in learning how other people from other
> > areas see the issue. I'm thinking that my own attitudes may have to be
> > revisited in light of my children's reality. That being the case, I
> > thank you for the comments you made that actually address the
> > questions I raised, and I'll ignore the polemic crap in which you
> > packaged it.
> >
> > lm
>
> Since I don't care to go traipsing through 100,000+ newsgroups, I'll
decline
> on attempting to trace your previous postings. But I do believe that your
> original posting about firearms was exactly that, a blatant attempt to
start
> a flame war. But, that's my opinion, live with it.

Jeez, calm down there trigger! She's been a regular on this list for years.
Obviously you've never seen a real blatant attempt to start a flame war.

> So, did you find yourself moving to the land of Deliverance? Or did you
> just move to the city? Perhaps something in between, then?
>
> I'd suggest that you go down to the local Rod and Gun Club and ask them if
> they sponsor the NRA's Safe Hunter Course. If I remember it, the course
is
> 2-3 days (a fair amount of both hands on and book reading - loads of
> question and answer time!!). An extremely well thought out course! I'd
> recommend it to anyone who's thinking of owning a hand-gun, rifle or
shotgun
> (or already owns one).
>
> Hell, take the course even if you only want to know what to do with a fire
> arm. What they're about, how to safely handle them, storage, history,
etc..
> You'll have an eye opening, mind expanding time. I can all but guarantee
> it!

***eegads****

*b

ps. bubble bath

:-)

Alex Nemeth
November 16th 03, 04:20 AM
On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 02:50:18 GMT, lm >
wrote:

>On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 21:44:23 -0500, "Dusty" > wrote:
>
>>Do you have knives in the house? How about matches or lighters? Perhaps
>>propane for the stove or the grill on the deck/porch? Got a hammer and
>>nails? Model glue? How about a pool in the yard?
>>
>>These sorts of "questionaires" do nothing but inflame and agravate those of
>>us that know for a fact that people do have these things (amongst orther
>>things) in and around their homes.
>>
>>The point I'm attempting to make is, so what? I have them, my friends have
>>them, plenty of people I know have them. So what? We are granted the right
>>to own such items by verture of the US Constitution. Any person (competent
>>or not) in this country can own whatever they want to. And there is no need
>>to be fearful if you've taken the time to educate yourself and your children
>>in the use of firearms.
>>
>>Education, not blind fear, is the ONLY way to stop the stupidity of these
>>"questionnaires" and those that create them.
>>
>Oh don't be such a pill. Look at my posting history. I'm not trying to
>inflame anything. I've just moved to a part of the country where
>attitudes toward gun use and ownership are very different to what I'm
>used to and I'm interested in learning how other people from other
>areas see the issue. I'm thinking that my own attitudes may have to be
>revisited in light of my children's reality. That being the case, I
>thank you for the comments you made that actually address the
>questions I raised, and I'll ignore the polemic crap in which you
>packaged it.

A little more clairfication may have saved some misunderstanding as to
why you were asking the questions.

Now that you've shed a bit more light on the situtation, and I know
why your asking the questions I'll go back and answer them.

Now did you move into an area that was Pro-Gun, or Anti-Gun? What
are your Attitudes towards Guns?

Alex

>lm

Alex Nemeth
November 16th 03, 04:47 AM
On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:51:17 GMT, lm >
wrote:

>Do you have them?

Not any more - gave up hunting & trap shooting - saw no need to keep
them. Although will probably get a .22 rifle for Varmint hunting in
the near future

>What kind?

Rifles & Shotguns - Have fired handguns in Target practice

>Where/how are they kept?

Top Shelf in Bedroom Closet
Locked in Gun Cabinet

Safety cables through the barrel's and out the breach.

>What about in your extended family's homes?

Yes - Rifles & Shotguns - All Hunters

>What about guns in your kids' friends' houses?

not sure what your looking for here.

>Do you know?

Usually

>Do you care?

Depends on the people involved

>Do you let them play there?

Usually - again depends upon the people involved.

>How old are your kids?

now - 19 & 23
Then - ????

Other tidbits of information that may prove to be helpful.

I currently live in a Rural community more or less. Hunting,
Trap/skeet Shooting are a part of this area, even more so for this
part of the state. I pretty much came back to live in this area
when I was about 15, prior to that I lived in
Cleveland/Akron/Stubenville Ohio. Prior to coming back here ( NY )
Guns were used for other things, usually not so pleasant. And yes I
was "almost" on the wrong end of a handgun ( interesting tale behind
this ) not a pleasant thought at 15.

I hunted / shot competitively for 3 years, Never really got into it.

caroline godfrey
November 16th 03, 05:29 AM
--
love you always caroline mwah
"lm" > wrote in message
> Do you have them?
> no
> What kind?
>
> Where/how are they kept?
>
> What about in your extended family's homes?
> no
> What about guns in your kids' friends' houses?
> no
> Do you know?
> yes
> Do you care?
> yes
> Do you let them play there?
>
> How old are your kids?
> 4 and 3
> lm

Just a little extra info here. I am in Australia and as such we are not
allowed to have guns for purposes unless we are property owners or have a
gun license. It is not like America over here where guns seem to be such a
big issue. Yes there are some people out there that do have them for
dishonest purposes and dont have a license for them but they are of a
minority. Where I live it is not an issue or even something that would
cross our minds, luckily i feel. The only person I know in my suburb who
even has one is a police officer.

CME
November 16th 03, 05:58 AM
"Dusty" > wrote in message ...

> "lm" > wrote in message
> > On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 21:44:23 -0500, "Dusty" > wrote:
> >

> [snip]
>
> > Oh don't be such a pill. Look at my posting history. I'm not trying to
> > inflame anything. I've just moved to a part of the country where
> > attitudes toward gun use and ownership are very different to what I'm
> > used to and I'm interested in learning how other people from other
> > areas see the issue. I'm thinking that my own attitudes may have to be
> > revisited in light of my children's reality. That being the case, I
> > thank you for the comments you made that actually address the
> > questions I raised, and I'll ignore the polemic crap in which you
> > packaged it.
> >
> > lm
>
> Since I don't care to go traipsing through 100,000+ newsgroups, I'll
decline
> on attempting to trace your previous postings. But I do believe that your
> original posting about firearms was exactly that, a blatant attempt to
start
> a flame war. But, that's my opinion, live with it.
>
> So, did you find yourself moving to the land of Deliverance? Or did you
> just move to the city? Perhaps something in between, then?
>
> I'd suggest that you go down to the local Rod and Gun Club and ask them if
> they sponsor the NRA's Safe Hunter Course. If I remember it, the course
is
> 2-3 days (a fair amount of both hands on and book reading - loads of
> question and answer time!!). An extremely well thought out course! I'd
> recommend it to anyone who's thinking of owning a hand-gun, rifle or
shotgun
> (or already owns one).
>
> Hell, take the course even if you only want to know what to do with a fire
> arm. What they're about, how to safely handle them, storage, history,
etc..
> You'll have an eye opening, mind expanding time. I can all but guarantee
> it!

Unless you use guns on a regular basis, for hunting or perhaps an occupation
(police) I don't understand the need to own a gun. I may live in Canada,
but it would be quite easy to obtain a Firearms Certificate and possess a
gun if I wished. But the thing is I don't feel the NEED to own a gun. Just
because the Constitution says you can, doesn't mean you should. I fired a
gun for the second time in my life (all this year) and I was very good, but
the thing I felt when it was in my hands is what an awesome responsibility
that was, too much I think for the average person.

Christine

Dusty
November 16th 03, 06:00 AM
"Joelle" > wrote in message

> Who the hell are you and do you have anything to say about being a single
> parent?

A. I'm the person you can't stand to speak their mind.
B. Yes, I do. And I said it in my previous post.

> Or are you just popping up to assert your right to own a gun AND be an
asshole?

C. No. I'm exorcising my right of free speech. If that bothers you, too
bad.
D. As for being an asshole.. Well, Joelle, you appear to do that quite
well all by yourself.

> Joelle
> The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page - St
> Augustine
> Joelle

Dusty
November 16th 03, 06:03 AM
"turtledove" > wrote in message

> "Dusty" > wrote in message
> >
> > > Oh don't be such a pill. Look at my posting history. I'm not trying to
> > > inflame anything. I've just moved to a part of the country where
> > > attitudes toward gun use and ownership are very different to what I'm
> > > used to and I'm interested in learning how other people from other
> > > areas see the issue. I'm thinking that my own attitudes may have to be
> > > revisited in light of my children's reality. That being the case, I
> > > thank you for the comments you made that actually address the
> > > questions I raised, and I'll ignore the polemic crap in which you
> > > packaged it.
> > >
> > > lm
> >
> > Since I don't care to go traipsing through 100,000+ newsgroups, I'll
> decline
> > on attempting to trace your previous postings. But I do believe that
your
> > original posting about firearms was exactly that, a blatant attempt to
> start
> > a flame war. But, that's my opinion, live with it.
>
> Jeez, calm down there trigger! She's been a regular on this list for
years.

BFD, she's been here for some time. What's your point?

> Obviously you've never seen a real blatant attempt to start a flame war.

Heh, I wouldn't say that...

> > So, did you find yourself moving to the land of Deliverance? Or did you
> > just move to the city? Perhaps something in between, then?
> >
> > I'd suggest that you go down to the local Rod and Gun Club and ask them
if
> > they sponsor the NRA's Safe Hunter Course. If I remember it, the course
> is
> > 2-3 days (a fair amount of both hands on and book reading - loads of
> > question and answer time!!). An extremely well thought out course! I'd
> > recommend it to anyone who's thinking of owning a hand-gun, rifle or
> shotgun
> > (or already owns one).
> >
> > Hell, take the course even if you only want to know what to do with a
fire
> > arm. What they're about, how to safely handle them, storage, history,
> etc..
> > You'll have an eye opening, mind expanding time. I can all but
guarantee
> > it!
>

> ***eegads****
>
> *b
>
> ps. bubble bath
>
> :-)

Dusty
November 16th 03, 06:41 AM
"CME" > wrote in message

[snip]

> Unless you use guns on a regular basis, for hunting or perhaps an
occupation
> (police) I don't understand the need to own a gun. I may live in Canada,
> but it would be quite easy to obtain a Firearms Certificate and possess a
> gun if I wished. But the thing is I don't feel the NEED to own a gun.
Just
> because the Constitution says you can, doesn't mean you should. I fired a
> gun for the second time in my life (all this year) and I was very good,
but
> the thing I felt when it was in my hands is what an awesome responsibility
> that was, too much I think for the average person.
>
> Christine

Weather you have a "need" or an "occupation" that demands you have a fire
arm, is not the point. The original questions where to see if parents where
fearful about guns and those guns being around their children. Not if one
should or should not have a gun and the reason(s) associated with it.

I don't feel I have a "need" to own a fire arm. But I do have the -right-
to have them. And it is a right that I fully exorcise.

Good for you for getting out to the range and having some fun!

And I agree with you to the extent that in owning of, and in the use of,
fire arms is indeed an incredibly awesome responsibility. A responsibility
that comes with it terrible consequences if misused or abused. But it is
also a responsibility that comes from education and demands constant
respect. The average person is, IMO, more then up to the task of this level
of responsibility - with proper training and education.

And yes, my children know I have fire arms. They know right where they are.
I don't hide them from my kids. But like a lighter or matches sitting on a
table, untouched by human hands, it will never start a fire on it's own
volition. Neither will a fire arm grow legs and run to the corner store and
shoot some one in a hold-up. For that to happen it takes a human being.
And my kids know that my fire arms are mine - not theirs. If they so much
as touch them with out me around -and- with my permission... heads will
roll!

But, I also have taught them how to handle my fire arms in a safe manner.
What to look for when someone hands you a weapon, what's the first thing you
do? You check to see if the safety is on and if it's loaded. They know
what to do. Which is a lot more then I can say about some adults...

steveb
November 16th 03, 08:57 AM
"Dusty" > lifted the trapdoor, peered around and wrote:

> And there is no need
>to be fearful if you've taken the time to educate yourself and your children
>in the use of firearms.

This will be why 11000 Americans kill each other with guns each year?

Paul Griffiths
November 16th 03, 12:19 PM
"steveb" > wrote in message
> "Dusty" > lifted the trapdoor, peered around and wrote:
>
> > And there is no need to be fearful if you've taken the time to educate
> > yourself and your children in the use of firearms.
>
> This will be why 11000 Americans kill each other with guns each year?

Which is a problem because...?

;-)

(Runs away very fast and hides in a very, very deep hole)

--
Paul Griffiths

Tiffany
November 16th 03, 06:05 PM
steveb > wrote in message
> "Dusty" > lifted the trapdoor, peered around and wrote:
>
> > And there is no need
> >to be fearful if you've taken the time to educate yourself and your
children
> >in the use of firearms.
>
> This will be why 11000 Americans kill each other with guns each year?

Well, frankly, people know damn well cigarettes will probably kill them and
don't stop. Why should people stop owning guns? lol Basically, I think
Dusty's point was that those NOT educated pose a threat.

Tiffany
November 16th 03, 06:07 PM
Paul Griffiths > wrote in message
> "steveb" > wrote in message
> > "Dusty" > lifted the trapdoor, peered around and wrote:
> >
> > > And there is no need to be fearful if you've taken the time to educate
> > > yourself and your children in the use of firearms.
> >
> > This will be why 11000 Americans kill each other with guns each year?
>
> Which is a problem because...?
>
> ;-)

That is a pretty insensitve statement Paul. The problem is that sometimes
its someone's kid or loved one. There could be those on this NG who lost a
loved one as a result of an uneducated gun owner. Just wanted to let you
know that statement was hardly funny.

Tiffany
November 16th 03, 06:10 PM
Alex Nemeth > wrote in message
> On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:51:17 GMT, lm >
> wrote:
>
> >Do you have them?
> >

> Not any more - gave up hunting & trap shooting - saw no need to keep
> them. Although will probably get a .22 rifle for Varmint hunting in
> the near future
>

> >What kind?
>
> Rifles & Shotguns - Have fired handguns in Target practice
>

> >Where/how are they kept?
>
> Top Shelf in Bedroom Closet
> Locked in Gun Cabinet
>
> Safety cables through the barrel's and out the breach.
>

> >What about in your extended family's homes?
>
> Yes - Rifles & Shotguns - All Hunters
>

> >What about guns in your kids' friends' houses?
>
> not sure what your looking for here.
>

> >Do you know?
>
> Usually
> >
> >Do you care?
>
> Depends on the people involved
>

> >Do you let them play there?
>
> Usually - again depends upon the people involved.
>

> >How old are your kids?
>
> now - 19 & 23
> Then - ????
>

> Other tidbits of information that may prove to be helpful.
>
> I currently live in a Rural community more or less. Hunting,
> Trap/skeet Shooting are a part of this area, even more so for this
> part of the state. I pretty much came back to live in this area
> when I was about 15, prior to that I lived in
> Cleveland/Akron/Stubenville Ohio. Prior to coming back here ( NY )
> Guns were used for other things, usually not so pleasant. And yes I
> was "almost" on the wrong end of a handgun ( interesting tale behind
> this ) not a pleasant thought at 15.
>
> I hunted / shot competitively for 3 years, Never really got into it.

I also live in a area that is known for hunting. (shut up Paul F....lol)
Everyone has a gun of some sort it seems. I don't particularly want guns
around kids but they are. Kids need to be taught safety.

Joelle
November 16th 03, 06:36 PM
>He's one of *those*... like the bubble bath guy. Apologies in advance
>to the bubble bath guy if I've invoked your presence.

Oh--googles "Gun ownership" and then asserts his "rights" Doesn't give a damn
about the online community - certainly not single parents. Gotcha.

Joelle
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page - St
Augustine
Joelle

Paul Griffiths
November 16th 03, 10:51 PM
"Tiffany" > wrote in message
> Paul Griffiths > wrote in message

> > > This will be why 11000 Americans kill each other with guns each year?
> >
> > Which is a problem because...?
> >
> > ;-)
>
> That is a pretty insensitve statement Paul.

Not at all, your interpretation of it is flawed.

> The problem is that sometimes its someone's kid or loved one.

No, that's just an inevitable consequence of the real problem but I don't
believe this is the right forum to discuss this in, if indeed useful
discussion of this issue is even possible, hence my reply.

> There could be those on this NG who lost a loved one as a result of an
> uneducated gun owner.

Indeed there could and I would sympathise greatly with their loss.

> Just wanted to let you know that statement was hardly funny.

It wasn't really meant to be funny so that's okay then, yes?

--
Paul Griffiths

Paul Griffiths
November 16th 03, 10:54 PM
<'Kate> wrote in message ...
> On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 01:00:23 -0500, "Dusty" >
> >"Joelle" > wrote in message
>
> >> Or are you just popping up to assert your right to own a gun AND be an
> >asshole?
> >
> >C. No. I'm exorcising my right of free speech. If that bothers you,
too
> >bad.
>
> Exercising, BTW.

:-))

> And so are those who do not want children in the same house as a gun.
> Respect is a two way street.

Or at least it should be.

> >D. As for being an asshole.. Well, Joelle, you appear to do that quite
> >well all by yourself.
>
> And evidently, respect isn't in your vocabulary which makes it even more
> disturbing that someone like you has the right to own a gun.

That's certainly true.

> They should give IQ tests...

And psych tests too.

Simpler would be to just ban private ownership of guns altogether of course.
Nobody *needs* to hunt these days and we Brits are very unlikely to invade,
honest.

--
Paul Griffiths

Tiffany
November 17th 03, 12:12 AM
Paul Griffiths > wrote in message
> "Tiffany" > wrote in message
> > Paul Griffiths > wrote in message

> educate

> > > Which is a problem because...?
> > >
> > > ;-)
> >
> > That is a pretty insensitve statement Paul.
>
> Not at all, your interpretation of it is flawed.

How is it flawed? When someone stated that 1100 Americans kill each other
with a gun each year, you stated "Which is a problem because...?" Then added
a smily with a wink. Then lets not forget the comment of going to run and
hide. If that comment wasn't to be funny or even insulting to Americans.....
what was your point?

Misty
November 17th 03, 03:21 AM
I'm from a very small, rural area and everyone I know owns a gun. I was
raised with a Dad and brothers who hunted, as most people do in this
area. In our home the guns were always kept, unloaded, in a locked gun
cabinet. I have several uncles who kept their guns loaded on a wall
rack. Becoming a parent made me really question the gun issue - of
course before I was a parent I never gave it a thought, it 'just was'.
I've taught my child since she was old enough to understand my words
that guns are very dangerous (not bad) and should never, ever be
touched. Certainly if I know of someone who is haphazard with their
guns, leaving them lye around, etc. then my child would never be allowed
there, period. After going to college, getting out there more, I
realized that to some people, this type of reality (living in homes with
guns, everyone in a town owning guns, hunting, etc.) is wild, scary and
a little psychotic! :) However, being from a small, rural, hunting area
you grow up not fearing but respecting guns in general. I know they can
kill a person - I also know they were used to help feed our family. I
would imagine that a persons beliefs and attitude about guns/gun
ownership is partially (if not heavily) based upon the area in which
they were raised/live.

Paul Griffiths
November 17th 03, 08:34 AM
<'Kate> wrote in message ...
> On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 22:54:55 -0000, "Paul Griffiths"
> >

> >Simpler would be to just ban private ownership of guns altogether of
course.
> >Nobody *needs* to hunt these days and we Brits are very unlikely to
invade,
> >honest.
>
> That's not what I heard. I heard that y'all are sneaking in one at a
> time via the visa for marriage program. :-)

Shhhhh!

Bugger! Now you've spoiled it. :-(

--
Paul Griffiths

Joelle
November 17th 03, 01:40 PM
>I've taught my child since she was old enough to understand my words
>that guns are very dangerous (not bad) and should never, ever be
>touched.

You've of course seen all the studies where kids are told that, taught that,
have it pounded in their head and then a video plays while the adult leaves a
gun in the room and what do the kids do? Take it out, play with it, point it
at each other.

It's like telling a kid to keep their hands off the cookies.

But it also has been shown that children of hunters who are taught to handle a
gun are less likely to think it's something cool to play with.

I used to worry about my kids going to homes of people who had guns. I told
them to come right home if they ever saw one, but you know they don't always do
what you tell them. I think they are old enough now...but maybe not - they did
show a video of older boys who played with found guns as well.

Joelle
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page - St
Augustine
Joelle

lm
November 17th 03, 01:47 PM
On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 04:47:55 GMT, Alex Nemeth >
wrote:

>>What about guns in your kids' friends' houses?
>
>not sure what your looking for here.

I'll answer that one in another part of this thread.

>>Do you know?
>
>Usually
>>
>>Do you care?
>
>Depends on the people involved

There's the rub -- knowing the people.

>I currently live in a Rural community more or less. Hunting,
>Trap/skeet Shooting are a part of this area, even more so for this
>part of the state. I pretty much came back to live in this area
>when I was about 15, prior to that I lived in
>Cleveland/Akron/Stubenville Ohio. Prior to coming back here ( NY )
>Guns were used for other things, usually not so pleasant. And yes I
>was "almost" on the wrong end of a handgun ( interesting tale behind
>this ) not a pleasant thought at 15.

Alex I think I might be your new neighbor :-) It's a big state and I'm
new to the center of it. It's very different to family visits on Long
Island over the years, that's for sure! Where're you?

I would be interested to hear about that story if you wouldn't mind
telling it.

lm

lm
November 17th 03, 01:57 PM
On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 21:21:31 -0600 (CST), (Misty)
wrote:

>I'm from a very small, rural area and everyone I know owns a gun. I was
>raised with a Dad and brothers who hunted, as most people do in this
>area. In our home the guns were always kept, unloaded, in a locked gun
>cabinet. I have several uncles who kept their guns loaded on a wall
>rack. Becoming a parent made me really question the gun issue - of
>course before I was a parent I never gave it a thought, it 'just was'.

I think this may be the case for some of the children around here as
well.

>I've taught my child since she was old enough to understand my words
>that guns are very dangerous (not bad) and should never, ever be
>touched. Certainly if I know of someone who is haphazard with their
>guns, leaving them lye around, etc. then my child would never be allowed
>there, period.

Yes but how would you know that? This is what my initial question is
developing into. How do you know who is responsible and who is not? Do
you ask? You can't "just know."

After going to college, getting out there more, I
>realized that to some people, this type of reality (living in homes with
>guns, everyone in a town owning guns, hunting, etc.) is wild, scary and
>a little psychotic! :) However, being from a small, rural, hunting area
>you grow up not fearing but respecting guns in general. I know they can
>kill a person - I also know they were used to help feed our family. I
>would imagine that a persons beliefs and attitude about guns/gun
>ownership is partially (if not heavily) based upon the area in which
>they were raised/live.

I'd guess there's some truth to that.

lm

lm
November 17th 03, 02:28 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments on this issue. I did fear when
posting my original list of questions that we'd end up with a messy
pile of tangents but for the most part 'twas the locals who responded
and I appreciate your thoughts.

When I was about the age my kids are getting to be now, I used to go
to CCD (Catholic Sunday school) on weeknights. One year my CCD teacher
was Mr. C, by night a mild-mannered CCD teacher but by day a dashing
FBI lifer. Mr. C. would usually come directly from work in his jacket
and tie and gun belt, and as he spoke he would put his hands in his
pockets or maybe take off his jacket and right along there with "turn
the other cheek" was this GUN! I was frozen solid and couldn't listen
to the lesson for watching that gun move back and forth across the
front of the room, but the contradiction was clear to me. Man oh man I
can see it even now. Mr. C's daughter ended up being my college
roommate and I told him about that one day. He had no idea he was even
wearing the thing, it was to him not much different than wearing
shoes.

(On a side note that was about the same time I was asking around
church about "if Adam and Eve were the first people, then what about
the cavemen?" and nobody would give me a straight answer, so it could
well be that the seeds of my disillusionment with the Catholic church
were planted earlier than I thought. I assumed it came out of typical
teenage rebellion stuff.)

So not because of that experience alone, I'm staunchly anti-gun and
that was hardly a problem living inside the Beltway. There are
definitely some "weekend warrior" types but in my observation they're
satisfied with paintball. But where we live now presents several
problems. I have to reconcile my fear/aversion/pacifism with the
reality that this is a gun-using community. I'm quite sure that the
majority of the gun owners in this community handle their guns
responsibly. That's not to say their children do/will and it's not to
say mine will either. So surely it would be a dangerous mistake for me
to not have the boys -- and me, and their stepdad -- trained in gun
safety.

But separate from that is the question of knowing the gun situation at
their friends' houses. Several people responded by saying they would
never let their kids play at irresponsible gun owners' houses. How do
you know? The fact that someone is a conscientious plumber doesn't
make him a responsible gun owner. That he's a caring basketball coach
doesn't reflect on his attitudes toward gun safety. So do I scope out
everyone's house before I let my kids in? Do I create an issue where
there is none? Last night was my just-about-8-year-old's birthday
party and a half-dozen moms dropped their kids off at my house
(finally, enough room for a birthday party!) without even getting out
of their cars! These people don't know me, we're just "the new kids,"
so I was pretty surprised. When kids are small, kid-specific
safety-related comments are expected -- the host parents even ask them
("any food allergies?"), but I'm sitting on the fence here between
allowing my kids to make their own connections and jumping in every
time they take a step and saying "let me test the waters first."

Dilemma. I'm working through it. That first part, about overriding my
own philosophy, is a toughie. I know the effect of prohibition though,
and it's the lesser of two evils I guess to eliminate the mystique
about guns.

Bleh.

lm

lm
November 17th 03, 02:32 PM
On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 08:34:04 -0000, "Paul Griffiths"
> wrote:

><'Kate> wrote in message ...
>> On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 22:54:55 -0000, "Paul Griffiths"
>> >

>> >Simpler would be to just ban private ownership of guns altogether of
>course.
>> >Nobody *needs* to hunt these days and we Brits are very unlikely to
>invade,
>> >honest.
>>
>> That's not what I heard. I heard that y'all are sneaking in one at a
>> time via the visa for marriage program. :-)
>
>Shhhhh!
>
>Bugger! Now you've spoiled it. :-(

What's all this then? Someone's going to face up to the Department of
Homeland Security and try to get in here?

I've got some experience with the K-1 visa if you're interested. :-)

lm

Misty
November 18th 03, 03:49 AM
I'd like to respond to Joelle and Im - sorry I'm not sure how to copy
cut and paste! :) As far as knowing who is a responsible gun owner and
who isn't - I don't know!! I hate that, I mean I dread it to the core
of my soul. It's so hard around my area because like I said, nearly
everyone owns a gun. If I specifically know of someone who isn't
responsible, and I certainly do know off hand of several people, then my
daughter would never be allowed there. Unfortunately, I could think my
daughter's little friends' parents are really responsible, caring
parents yet they could have a gun lying, loaded, on the couch when my
child walked in!! The thought scares the sh*t out of me! Instead of
fighting the uphill battle of 'who has what' my child isn't allowed
around guns', etc. I've chosen to use that energy to teach my child gun
safety, respect (combined with fear) of guns, etc. She's only six, so
we haven't had to deal with too much out of our or family's home, but
she knows if ever she goes to someone's home and their is a gun lying
around she is to call me immediately. She knows if a child has a gun
for any reason, she is to get away and go to an adult immediately. Does
this mean she will? Will *she* ever be the child messing with a gun? I
hope to God not. I hope she never touches drugs either. I hope she
never gets into a car after drinking, or with another person who has
been drinking. Around here, guns are an everyday part of life. My ex
is a hunter, he has guns. He's always been very safe, but who's to say?
It scares me so very badly, but honestly, it's just life in our 'neck of
the woods'. My own Grandfather used to leave his shotgun, propped up in
the corner, loaded. They lived in the country and he would grab it,
shoot a bird or something. As children, we knew never to touch it and I
can honestly say we didn't. Of course I was a girl, no interest in
guns, but my brothers were (and still are) hunters; they were raised
with guns. They took gun safety courses every year and they respected
their guns, took care of them, were safe and as far as I know, never
played with them. Children getting killed by guns is a horrible,
devastating tragedy. I don't blame parents who wish to keep their child
away from guns under any circumstance. Unfortunately, I've never felt I
had that option.

turtledove
November 18th 03, 01:32 PM
these questions brought to mind my Eddie Izzard DVD and his view on guns.

It's not guns that kill people.
It's bullets that kill people.
Bullets in guns and people that kill people

:-)!

*b
"Dusty" > wrote in message ...
> Do you have knives in the house? How about matches or lighters? Perhaps
> propane for the stove or the grill on the deck/porch? Got a hammer and
> nails? Model glue? How about a pool in the yard?
>
> These sorts of "questionaires" do nothing but inflame and agravate those
of
> us that know for a fact that people do have these things (amongst orther
> things) in and around their homes.
>
> The point I'm attempting to make is, so what? I have them, my friends
have
> them, plenty of people I know have them. So what? We are granted the
right
> to own such items by verture of the US Constitution. Any person
(competent
> or not) in this country can own whatever they want to. And there is no
need
> to be fearful if you've taken the time to educate yourself and your
children
> in the use of firearms.
>
> Education, not blind fear, is the ONLY way to stop the stupidity of these
> "questionnaires" and those that create them.

kat
November 21st 03, 06:40 PM
"lm" > wrote in message
> Do you have them?

Yes

> What kind?

Some plastic ones from the dollar store that shoot little orange suction
cups.

> Where/how are they kept?

Mostly in the basement/in boxes, because I haven't had time to unpack all
the toys from moving yet.

> What about in your extended family's homes?

What about them? My parents have a nice home. It's a fairly large bungalo,
green in color, 4 bedrooms up, 2 down in the basement, newly renovated
kitchen, spacious, open living room, separate dining room, 2 and a half
baths, rumpus room and laundry room downstairs, detached, heated, double
garage in the back, which was recently rebuilt just under three years ago.
The house sits on an oversized lot and a half yard with brand new fence
installed and painted. Back yard is extremely spacious, with many mature
trees, firepit, child's playhouse, newly installed deck, and the front yard
is the same, but a bit smaller in size. Drive way is at the front, right
below the living room window, and has a basketball net. Large oak tree in
front will need reinforcing within the next couple years.
My grandma has a nice home too. It, as well, is a white bungalo. 3
bedrooms up, and downstairs is a rumpus room with fireplace, as well as 2
other rooms used mostly as a game room and the other a laundry room. 1 and
a half bathrooms and large kitchen. Mature trees in the front, 2 mature
apple trees in the back. Good sized yard with garden, fenced, and double
garage in the back. Nice quiet neighbourhood.
One aunt has a large bi level on 4.6 acres. Out of the city in a small
residential area where nearest neighbour is about a quarter of a mile down
the road. Park with ice rink directly across the street. 3 bedrooms up, 3
bedrooms down, complete with family room and games room, 2 full baths,
large, recently renovated kitchen with attached dining room. Sunken living
room with fireplace. Yard is large and spacious, with trees along the road.
Back of property goes down a hill with a forest of trees to a ravine. 4-car
detached garage, extremely large drive way with two basketball nets, garden
and many large, mature trees. Sheltered ATV/Boat storage beside garage and
outdoor firepit. Large deck opens off the kitchen area.
My other aunt has a bungalo with recently renovated basement and kitchen.
Hardwood floors upstairs, fireplace and rec room down. 3 bedrooms up, 1
down and nice large back yard. Double garage with extremely large drive
way, and beautiful deck. Recently new siding was put on the house and
garage, and both also have new roofs. Very nice and cozy little house, and
all renovations have been done in the last 2 years. It's on the west end of
the city, even, walking distance to the mall.
I think that's probably enough of that...

> What about guns in your kids' friends' houses?

What about them? They don't really have many friends, and as for the
friends' houses, I don't know. Never been there. Not really at that age
yet.

> Do you know?

Do I know what?

> Do you care?

Of course I care, but what your question is asking leaves me a bit confused.

> Do you let them play there?

Do I let who or what play where? Do I let guns play at my kids' friends'
houses?

> How old are your kids?

Almost 3 and almost 4.

> lm

lmAO

lm
November 21st 03, 09:18 PM
On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 18:40:00 GMT, "kat" > wrote:

>"lm" > wrote in message
>> Do you have them?
>
>Yes
>
>> What kind?
>
>Some plastic ones from the dollar store that shoot little orange suction
>cups.
>
>> Where/how are they kept?
>
>Mostly in the basement/in boxes, because I haven't had time to unpack all
>the toys from moving yet.
>
>> What about in your extended family's homes?
>
>What about them? My parents have a nice home. It's a fairly large bungalo,
>green in color, 4 bedrooms up, 2 down in the basement, newly renovated
>kitchen, spacious, open living room, separate dining room, 2 and a half
>baths, rumpus room and laundry room downstairs, detached, heated, double
>garage in the back, which was recently rebuilt just under three years ago.
>The house sits on an oversized lot and a half yard with brand new fence
>installed and painted. Back yard is extremely spacious, with many mature
>trees, firepit, child's playhouse, newly installed deck, and the front yard
>is the same, but a bit smaller in size. Drive way is at the front, right
>below the living room window, and has a basketball net. Large oak tree in
>front will need reinforcing within the next couple years.
>My grandma has a nice home too. It, as well, is a white bungalo. 3
>bedrooms up, and downstairs is a rumpus room with fireplace, as well as 2
>other rooms used mostly as a game room and the other a laundry room. 1 and
>a half bathrooms and large kitchen. Mature trees in the front, 2 mature
>apple trees in the back. Good sized yard with garden, fenced, and double
>garage in the back. Nice quiet neighbourhood.
>One aunt has a large bi level on 4.6 acres. Out of the city in a small
>residential area where nearest neighbour is about a quarter of a mile down
>the road. Park with ice rink directly across the street. 3 bedrooms up, 3
>bedrooms down, complete with family room and games room, 2 full baths,
>large, recently renovated kitchen with attached dining room. Sunken living
>room with fireplace. Yard is large and spacious, with trees along the road.
>Back of property goes down a hill with a forest of trees to a ravine. 4-car
>detached garage, extremely large drive way with two basketball nets, garden
>and many large, mature trees. Sheltered ATV/Boat storage beside garage and
>outdoor firepit. Large deck opens off the kitchen area.
>My other aunt has a bungalo with recently renovated basement and kitchen.
>Hardwood floors upstairs, fireplace and rec room down. 3 bedrooms up, 1
>down and nice large back yard. Double garage with extremely large drive
>way, and beautiful deck. Recently new siding was put on the house and
>garage, and both also have new roofs. Very nice and cozy little house, and
>all renovations have been done in the last 2 years. It's on the west end of
>the city, even, walking distance to the mall.
>I think that's probably enough of that...

All sounds very nice, esp the firepit at your parents' house. I'd like
to get one of those portable clay chimneys for my patio. Twould be
nice to have when we're sledding down the hill in the back yard. Good
luck with the tree.

>> What about guns in your kids' friends' houses?
>
>What about them? They don't really have many friends, and as for the
>friends' houses, I don't know. Never been there. Not really at that age
>yet.

Yeah, that was the point of the question, how to address it at
friends' houses. Mine are 8 and 9 so it's a real possibility, esp
here.

>> Do you know?
>
>Do I know what?
>
>> Do you care?
>
>Of course I care, but what your question is asking leaves me a bit confused.

I'm sure you've seen the entire thread by now so I won't repeat
myself.

>> Do you let them play there?
>
>Do I let who or what play where? Do I let guns play at my kids' friends'
>houses?

:-)

>> How old are your kids?
>
>Almost 3 and almost 4.
>
>> lm
>
>lmAO

By far the most amusing response. Thanks :-)

lm

CME
November 21st 03, 11:08 PM
"kat" > wrote in message
> [...]
> garage, and both also have new roofs. Very nice and cozy little house,
and
> all renovations have been done in the last 2 years. It's on the west end
of
> the city, even, walking distance to the mall.
> I think that's probably enough of that...
>
> > What about guns in your kids' friends' houses?
>
> What about them? They don't really have many friends, and as for the
> friends' houses, I don't know. Never been there. Not really at that age
> yet.
>
> > Do you know?
>
> Do I know what?
>
> > Do you care?
>
> Of course I care, but what your question is asking leaves me a bit
confused.

> > Do you let them play there?
>
> Do I let who or what play where? Do I let guns play at my kids' friends'

I love your wacky sense of humour girl. ;)

Christine

kat
November 21st 03, 11:48 PM
"CME" > wrote in message

> [...]
> > I think that's probably enough of that...
> >
> > > What about guns in your kids' friends' houses?
> >
> > What about them? They don't really have many friends, and as for the
> > friends' houses, I don't know. Never been there. Not really at that
age
> > yet.
> >
> > > Do you know?
> >
> > Do I know what?
> >
> > > Do you care?
> >
> > Of course I care, but what your question is asking leaves me a bit
> confused.
> >
> > > Do you let them play there?
> >
> > Do I let who or what play where? Do I let guns play at my kids'
friends'
> > houses?
> >
> > > How old are your kids?
> >
> > Almost 3 and almost 4.
> >
> > > lm
> >
> > lmAO
> >

> I love your wacky sense of humour girl. ;)

What??!! I thought this whole thread was the product of someone else's
wacky sense of humor!

Andrew
November 23rd 03, 06:03 PM
"kat" > wrote in message
> [...]
> garage, and both also have new roofs. Very nice and cozy little house,
and
> all renovations have been done in the last 2 years. It's on the west end
of
> the city, even, walking distance to the mall.
> I think that's probably enough of that...
>
> > What about guns in your kids' friends' houses?
>
> What about them? They don't really have many friends, and as for the
> friends' houses, I don't know. Never been there. Not really at that age
> yet.
>
> > Do you know?
>
> Do I know what?
>
> > Do you care?
>
> Of course I care, but what your question is asking leaves me a bit
confused.

> > Do you let them play there?
>
> Do I let who or what play where? Do I let guns play at my kids' friends'

kat,

LOL, ROTFL, ROTFFL lots!

If you were any closer I would ask you to marry me right now!!!!!

Andrew

kat
November 23rd 03, 07:49 PM
"Andrew" > wrote in message

> [...]
> > friends' houses, I don't know. Never been there. Not really at that
age
> > yet.
> >
> > > Do you know?
> >
> > Do I know what?
> >
> > > Do you care?
> >
> > Of course I care, but what your question is asking leaves me a bit
> confused.
> >
> > > Do you let them play there?
> >
> > Do I let who or what play where? Do I let guns play at my kids'
friends'
> > houses?
> >
> > > How old are your kids?
> >
> > Almost 3 and almost 4.
> >
> > > lm
> >
> > lmAO
> >

> kat,
>
> LOL, ROTFL, ROTFFL lots!
>
> If you were any closer I would ask you to marry me right now!!!!!

Hey, how can I be any closer? I'm right outside your window right now,
plastic suction cup dart gun in my left hand, potato gun in my right...
Right now, I'm looking around for something, although I'm not sure what. I
think I'm sneaking around looking for that ring I know you have hidden
somewhere!

CME
November 24th 03, 03:16 AM
"kat" > wrote in message
> [...]
> > > yet.

> > > Do I know what?

> > > Of course I care, but what your question is asking leaves me a bit
> > confused.

> > > Do I let who or what play where? Do I let guns play at my kids'
> friends'
> > > houses?

> > > Almost 3 and almost 4.

> > > lmAO
> > >

> > kat,
> >
> > LOL, ROTFL, ROTFFL lots!
> >
> > If you were any closer I would ask you to marry me right now!!!!!
> >
> > Andrew
>
> Hey, how can I be any closer? I'm right outside your window right now,
> plastic suction cup dart gun in my left hand, potato gun in my right...
> Right now, I'm looking around for something, although I'm not sure what.
> think I'm sneaking around looking for that ring I know you have hidden

As Andrew phones the police... lol

Christine

kat
November 24th 03, 04:15 AM
"CME" > wrote in message

> "kat" > wrote in message
> > "Andrew" > wrote in message
> > >
> > > "kat" > wrote in message

> suction

> > all

> > > bungalo,
> half
> double
> > ago.
> fence
> > mature
> > > yard
> > right
> tree
> > in
> as
> > 2
> 1
> > > and
> mature
> > double
> small
> > down
> up,
> > 3
> > > living
> > > road.
> > > 4-car
> > > garden
> garage
> > > and
> > kitchen.
> 1
> drive
> and
> house,
> > > and
> > end
> > > of

> > age

> > > confused.

> > friends'

> > > kat,
> > >
> > > LOL, ROTFL, ROTFFL lots!
> > >
> > > If you were any closer I would ask you to marry me right now!!!!!
> > >
> > > Andrew
> >
> > Hey, how can I be any closer? I'm right outside your window right now,
> > plastic suction cup dart gun in my left hand, potato gun in my right...
> > Right now, I'm looking around for something, although I'm not sure what.
> > think I'm sneaking around looking for that ring I know you have hidden
> > somewhere!
> >

> As Andrew phones the police... lol
>
> Christine

Oh, no. Andrew won't be phoning nowhere... I took care of that already ;)
*wink wink, nudge nudge*

Go_Chiefs
December 22nd 03, 01:19 AM
'Kate wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:51:17 GMT, lm >
>
>>Do you have them?
>

> No.
>

>>What kind?
>>
>>Where/how are they kept?
>>
>>What about in your extended family's homes?
>

> I don't have any.
>

>>What about guns in your kids' friends' houses?
>

> When I learn of someone who recently purchased a gun, especially a BB
> gun or something like that for one of their kids, mine are not allowed
> in that house. Period.

Why is that? Ok I know the answer but I want to see YOU post it...

>>Do you know?
>

> Ya never know for sure.
>

>>Do you care?
>

> Absolutely.
>

>>Do you let them play there?
>

> No.
>

>>How old are your kids?
>

> 13, 15, 24
>
> On second thought, my 24 year old may be going to houses that contain
> guns. So hard to keep track of all her friends now.

Unless you live in a drug infested neighborhood or the average IQ
where you live is 10 & Folks there are prone to random acts of
sheer stupidity don't you think your a bit paranoid?

Ike

Go_Chiefs
December 22nd 03, 01:34 AM
CME wrote:

> "Dusty" > wrote in message ...
>
>>"lm" > wrote in message
>>
>>>On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 21:44:23 -0500, "Dusty" > wrote:
>>>

>>[snip]
>>

>>>Oh don't be such a pill. Look at my posting history. I'm not trying to
>>>inflame anything. I've just moved to a part of the country where
>>>attitudes toward gun use and ownership are very different to what I'm
>>>used to and I'm interested in learning how other people from other
>>>areas see the issue. I'm thinking that my own attitudes may have to be
>>>revisited in light of my children's reality. That being the case, I
>>>thank you for the comments you made that actually address the
>>>questions I raised, and I'll ignore the polemic crap in which you
>>>packaged it.
>>>
>>>lm
>>
>>Since I don't care to go traipsing through 100,000+ newsgroups, I'll
>
> decline
>
>>on attempting to trace your previous postings. But I do believe that your
>>original posting about firearms was exactly that, a blatant attempt to
>
> start
>
>>a flame war. But, that's my opinion, live with it.
>>
>>So, did you find yourself moving to the land of Deliverance? Or did you
>>just move to the city? Perhaps something in between, then?
>>
>>I'd suggest that you go down to the local Rod and Gun Club and ask them if
>>they sponsor the NRA's Safe Hunter Course. If I remember it, the course
>
> is
>
>>2-3 days (a fair amount of both hands on and book reading - loads of
>>question and answer time!!). An extremely well thought out course! I'd
>>recommend it to anyone who's thinking of owning a hand-gun, rifle or
>
> shotgun
>
>>(or already owns one).
>>
>>Hell, take the course even if you only want to know what to do with a fire
>>arm. What they're about, how to safely handle them, storage, history,
>
> etc..
>
>>You'll have an eye opening, mind expanding time. I can all but guarantee
>>it!
>>

> Unless you use guns on a regular basis, for hunting or perhaps an occupation
> (police) I don't understand the need to own a gun. I may live in Canada,
> but it would be quite easy to obtain a Firearms Certificate and possess a
> gun if I wished. But the thing is I don't feel the NEED to own a gun. Just
> because the Constitution says you can, doesn't mean you should. I fired a
> gun for the second time in my life (all this year) and I was very good, but
> the thing I felt when it was in my hands is what an awesome responsibility
> that was, too much I think for the average person.
>
> Christine

Lets see other than the occasional Large Predator like in your
case the Polar Bear, Kodiak & Griz. & Mountain lion... you have
Child molesters, Kidnappers, Rapists, Home Invaders, Carjackers,
Need I give more reasons to own a gun?

After you become a crime victim you WILL understand the NEED to
own a gun... Just be safe about it...

Ike

Go_Chiefs
December 22nd 03, 01:43 AM
Joelle wrote:

>>I've taught my child since she was old enough to understand my words
>>that guns are very dangerous (not bad) and should never, ever be
>>touched.
>

> You've of course seen all the studies where kids are told that, taught that,
> have it pounded in their head and then a video plays while the adult leaves a
> gun in the room and what do the kids do? Take it out, play with it, point it
> at each other.
>
> It's like telling a kid to keep their hands off the cookies.
>
> But it also has been shown that children of hunters who are taught to handle a
> gun are less likely to think it's something cool to play with.
>
> I used to worry about my kids going to homes of people who had guns. I told
> them to come right home if they ever saw one, but you know they don't always do
> what you tell them. I think they are old enough now...but maybe not - they did
> show a video of older boys who played with found guns as well.
>
> Joelle

Congrats for teaching the kids to RESPECT guns... Ever consider a
gun safety course? I too was raised with them... My dad got me a
toy cowboy rife one time. I took it over to grandparent's house &
did as kids do... When I went back to get it off the floor it was
gone.

Well little Ike runs to Grandma about missing toy.. Somebody
stolen it! Nope Grandpa found it & put it up. He told me it would
stay put up the rest of my visit so that I learn not to just tos
it wherever I pleased.

An hour before I had to go home he pulled down his rifle for
cleaning & brought me mine. We sat there Him cleaning his & me
cleaning mine.

That Christmas he made me a Toy Gun cabinet.

Both Grandparents are gone now but to this day I respect a
weapon. If I have one in the house it goes where it belongs.

Ike

Go_Chiefs
December 22nd 03, 01:50 AM
lm wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 21:21:31 -0600 (CST), (Misty)
> wrote:

[Snip]
> Yes but how would you know that? This is what my initial question is
> developing into. How do you know who is responsible and who is not? Do
> you ask? You can't "just know."

True, Sort of... You will just have to meet & greet... If they
invite you in & they have a Gun rack up or the kids mention that
they have one bring it up. Tell them yo may be interested in one.
Be vague... Him Haw around mention maybe for protection or small
game... Maybe deer or Goose.. If they "Just own" a gun they will
know NOTHING about it... Like a guy who does not know anything
about cars... you have to hear them...

Ask to see it. If they bring it out finger in side trigger guard
then they are idiots. If it's pointing any direction other than
DOWN they are idiots.

If Idiots they are AVOID the house...

Ike

Go_Chiefs
December 22nd 03, 01:53 AM
steveb wrote:

> "Dusty" > lifted the trapdoor, peered around and wrote:
>

>>And there is no need
>>to be fearful if you've taken the time to educate yourself and your children
>>in the use of firearms.
>

> This will be why 11000 Americans kill each other with guns each year?

WRONG!!!! STUPIDITY kills MORE people than any gun... Take for
example those that drive into high water... Should you be banned
from owning a car because they are too stupid?

On second thought YOU should NEVER own a Gun... Stupid folks
should NEVER own ANY weapon... So sell that car & rid your place
of ALL Sharp objects, Tools & Clubs.

Ike