PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive Holiday sites or brochures

Colette Collopy
January 7th 04, 05:18 PM
Hi, anyone got any ideas for inexpensive hols for this year? Want to try and
still give the kids a holiday this year if I can afford it.

Would appreciate all help, ta.

--
Col xx

There's luck in sharing!!

Andrew
January 7th 04, 06:21 PM
"Colette Collopy" > wrote in message
> Hi, anyone got any ideas for inexpensive hols for this year? Want to try
and
> still give the kids a holiday this year if I can afford it.
>
> Would appreciate all help, ta.
>
> --
> Col xx
>
> There's luck in sharing!!

Hi Colette,

Don't know if you are looking at in UK or out of. If going out I have used
Airline Network and ebookers
http://www.ebookers.com/uk
http://www.airline-network.co.uk/Homepage/Homepage.asp

and most recently lastminute.com for my Amsterdam trip

If looking in the UK I got a couple of brochures from our local Thomas Cook
for child friendly camps, naturally they gave me the Butlins but also some
other similar style camps. I have never been to either so really can't
vouch. If you do go to these please let me know as I am thinking about them
(flights in school holidays are pretty dear!).

Good luck if you do go and have yourself a whale of a time!

Oh yeah, I don't know what age your kids are but if they are of Balamory age
you do know its filmed on Tobermory on Mull and you could do a trip up
there?

What season were you thinking of going? Any types of destination? Scenic,
activity, rural, urban etc? If you give me some guidelines I'll see if I can
think of anything else

Andrew

Colette Collopy
January 7th 04, 06:30 PM
Thanks Andrew, have given me lots of food for thought with that lot.
Daughters are 18 ( I know, I know, she's an adult but still my baby haha),
13 and 3 years old so very varied entertainments needed. Have tried the
Haven and British Holidays before and though they may be a little tacky to
some people when you have three children of such varied ages, they are
ideal. Nightlife for the older two, and then the pool etc for the youngest.
Myself, huh, I just plod along with them all. Though I am fortunate in that
my 18 year old sometimes takes my 3 year old out for a couple of hours and I
get some time to myself to chill out.
Thanks again for the info. Have been reading whats been happening to you
over Christmas with your ex-wife taking your daughter to Sweden. At least
now you'll feel more comfortable letting your ex-wife see her. What age is
your daughter? She sounds a little sweety, always wanting it to be 'just me
and daddy'. My little ones like that a bit too.
Col x
"Colette Collopy" > wrote in message
> Hi, anyone got any ideas for inexpensive hols for this year? Want to try
and
> still give the kids a holiday this year if I can afford it.
>
> Would appreciate all help, ta.
>
> --
> Col xx
>
> There's luck in sharing!!

Andrew
January 7th 04, 07:42 PM
"Colette Collopy" > wrote in message
.. What age is
> your daughter? She sounds a little sweety, always wanting it to be 'just
me
> and daddy'. My little ones like that a bit too.
> Col x

She'll be five in March. Yeah, she's a little sweety (well, I think so).
Hmm, a range of 18 to 3 is a real toughie. Thanks for the mention of the
holidays with nightlife and stuff for the kids as well, who cares if anyone
thinks its tacky? The only thing I worry about is I don't want people
'effin' and 'blindin' where my little girl can hear. How was it on that
front?

Andrew

Dennis Here
January 7th 04, 08:27 PM
Colette Collopy wrote in message ...
>Hi, anyone got any ideas for inexpensive hols for this year? Want to try
and
>still give the kids a holiday this year if I can afford it.
>
>Would appreciate all help, ta.

Camping or hostels, or even camping in hostels!
I have done both with Freddie from when he was three.

Dennis

Colette Collopy
January 7th 04, 09:40 PM
Had no problems on that score at all. Actually now that you come to mention
it, I didnt hear any swearing at all and no bad behaviour either. I think
those type of places have a bad name for being cheap and nasty but we all
quite enjoyed it. Also if you go to www.havenholidays.co.uk they have
section where they tell you all the special offers that they have. Not at
the moment though too early in the year wait until they open in March then
keep checking the site, cos there are some real bargains. they also have a
link to the British Holidays on that site.

Col x
"Andrew" > wrote in message

> "Colette Collopy" > wrote in message
> . What age is
> > your daughter? She sounds a little sweety, always wanting it to be 'just
> me
> > and daddy'. My little ones like that a bit too.
> > Col x
>
> She'll be five in March. Yeah, she's a little sweety (well, I think so).
> Hmm, a range of 18 to 3 is a real toughie. Thanks for the mention of the
> holidays with nightlife and stuff for the kids as well, who cares if
anyone
> thinks its tacky? The only thing I worry about is I don't want people
> 'effin' and 'blindin' where my little girl can hear. How was it on that
> front?
>
> Andrew

Colette Collopy
January 7th 04, 09:41 PM
Thanks Dennis but not too sure about that being my myself. Might be just me
but I think I'd feel too vulnerable a woman alone with three girls camping.

Col x
"Dennis Here" oureply>
wrote in message ...

> Colette Collopy wrote in message ...
> >Hi, anyone got any ideas for inexpensive hols for this year? Want to try
> and
> >still give the kids a holiday this year if I can afford it.
> >
> >Would appreciate all help, ta.
>

> Camping or hostels, or even camping in hostels!
> I have done both with Freddie from when he was three.
>
> Dennis

Tiffany
January 7th 04, 10:42 PM
Dennis Here oureply>
wrote in message ...

> Colette Collopy wrote in message ...
> >Hi, anyone got any ideas for inexpensive hols for this year? Want to try
> and
> >still give the kids a holiday this year if I can afford it.
> >
> >Would appreciate all help, ta.
>

> Camping or hostels, or even camping in hostels!
> I have done both with Freddie from when he was three.
>
> Dennis

How do you find out where hostels are located?

Cele
January 8th 04, 06:30 AM
On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 21:41:15 +0000 (UTC), "Colette Collopy"
> wrote:

>Thanks Dennis but not too sure about that being my myself. Might be just me
>but I think I'd feel too vulnerable a woman alone with three girls camping.

I'm not in the UK, I'm in Canada, but I've taken my daughters camping
on my own since they were 1 & 3. We had a lot of fun. Now they're 18
(moved out) & 16. The 16 year old still comes camping in the summer
time, but those days are numbered.....

Cele

Paul Griffiths
January 8th 04, 05:00 PM
"Andrew" > wrote in message

> If looking in the UK I got a couple of brochures from our local Thomas
Cook
> for child friendly camps, naturally they gave me the Butlins but also some
> other similar style camps. I have never been to either so really can't
> vouch. If you do go to these please let me know as I am thinking about
them
> (flights in school holidays are pretty dear!).

Pete and I have done the Haven places a couple of times and he certainly
seemed to have fun.

We shared a narrow boat one year too. That was excellent fun.

--
Paul Griffiths

Paul Griffiths
January 8th 04, 05:06 PM
"Tiffany" > wrote in message

> Dennis Here oureply>
> wrote in message ...
> >
> > Camping or hostels, or even camping in hostels!
> > I have done both with Freddie from when he was three.
> >
> How do you find out where hostels are located?

On the Web of course. :-))

Try:-

http://www.hostelworld.com/?source=overture

http://iyhf.org/openHome.sma

or for the UK:-

http://www.yha.org.uk/

Many other countries seem to have their own hostel association sites too.

HTH

--
Paul Griffiths

Dennis Here
January 9th 04, 06:18 PM
Colette Collopy wrote in message ...

>Thanks Dennis but not too sure about that being my myself. Might be just me
>but I think I'd feel too vulnerable a woman alone with three girls camping.

Yeah, there are big scary bears and things just outside the tent waiting to
gobble up people who feel vulnerable.
The trick is to look the world straight in the eye and make IT feel
vulnerable.

Dennis

Dennis Here
January 9th 04, 06:27 PM
Tiffany wrote in message ...

>How do you find out where hostels are located?

Go here
http://www.hihostels.com/openHome.sma

It is the old Youth Hostel Association now named Hosteling International.
They have a strict "No Prejudice" policy which includes age!
Also there is no smoking or drinking aloud so the "rowdies" go elsewhere
making them ideal for kids.
Used them in Seattle, Portland, San Francisco and Melbourne (Oz) in recent
years.

There are plenty in Ireland too but you won't need them, you can stay here!

Dennis

Kim In NS
January 9th 04, 06:50 PM
"Dennis Here" oureply>
wrote in message ...

> Colette Collopy wrote in message ...
>
> >Thanks Dennis but not too sure about that being my myself. Might be just
me
> >but I think I'd feel too vulnerable a woman alone with three girls
camping.

> Yeah, there are big scary bears and things just outside the tent waiting
> gobble up people who feel vulnerable.
> The trick is to look the world straight in the eye and make IT feel
> vulnerable.
>
> Dennis

Colette,

I have learned that sometimes being by yourself with the children is the
best holiday one can anticipate... Camping is not what it used to be... I
never worried about the creatures outside my tent but the campers on the
next tent site

LOL there are enough people camping in the campgrounds that you are never
alone... Make sure you pack lots of "patience", "giggles", "songs" and a
deck of cards!!! What a riot trying to set up the site for the first time
on your own...

Every year now we have made a trip to a place called Magic Mountain... It's
a water park about 2 hours away from us... Our first time we had all the
gear for camping but really none of the expreience on our own (I was always
the one setting up the kitchen aspect of the gear and the kids were always
the playing part *grin* once in a while I was the 'goffer' you know 'hey Kim
go fer that hammer... rope... whatever) SOOoooooooo set up was a riot and at
the end of it we sat down on the picnic table slugging back our can's of
soda Oh so very proud of our accomplishment... Our site looked GOOD!

IT IS frightening to do on your own the first time out... Once you've done
it once you will wonder why you didn't do it before... I promise... LOL and
we even got rain on our first trip... Remember to et a big enough tent that
you can bring the picnic table into *grin*

Dennis as always is dead on..."The trick is to look the world straight in
the eye and make IT feel
vulnerable." (I might have to borrow that line :)

Kim

Tiffany
January 9th 04, 08:14 PM
Dennis Here oureply>
wrote in message ...

> Tiffany wrote in message ...
>

> >How do you find out where hostels are located?
>

> Go here
> http://www.hihostels.com/openHome.sma
>
> It is the old Youth Hostel Association now named Hosteling International.
> They have a strict "No Prejudice" policy which includes age!
> Also there is no smoking or drinking aloud so the "rowdies" go elsewhere
> making them ideal for kids.
> Used them in Seattle, Portland, San Francisco and Melbourne (Oz) in recent
> years.
>
> There are plenty in Ireland too but you won't need them, you can stay
here!

> Dennis

Thanks Dennis! And I will keep that offer in mind..... you don't mind
children do you? lol

Colette Collopy
January 9th 04, 08:56 PM
haha thanks for that. But at the moment can't even look my 3 year old in the
eye, cos either too tired or just too darn stressed with my new situation
Col x
"Dennis Here" oureply>
wrote in message ...

> Colette Collopy wrote in message ...
>
> >Thanks Dennis but not too sure about that being my myself. Might be just
me
> >but I think I'd feel too vulnerable a woman alone with three girls
camping.

> Yeah, there are big scary bears and things just outside the tent waiting
> gobble up people who feel vulnerable.
> The trick is to look the world straight in the eye and make IT feel
> vulnerable.
>
> Dennis

Colette Collopy
January 9th 04, 08:59 PM
Kim, thanks for the advice. I am actually thinking about the idea more
seriously now. Used to go camping about 10 years ago with the girls and
used to enjoy it but had the ex with me then. I suppose I'm just feeling a
little lost still but its still early days and time will help that. I am
usually a strong person and that WILL return and then I will become more
adventurous.

Thanks for your help
Col x
"Kim In NS" > wrote in message

> "Dennis Here" oureply>
> wrote in message ...
> >
> > Colette Collopy wrote in message ...
> >
> > >Thanks Dennis but not too sure about that being my myself. Might be
just
> me
> > >but I think I'd feel too vulnerable a woman alone with three girls
> camping.
> >

> > Yeah, there are big scary bears and things just outside the tent waiting
> > gobble up people who feel vulnerable.
> > The trick is to look the world straight in the eye and make IT feel
> > vulnerable.
> >
> > Dennis
> >

> Colette,
>
> I have learned that sometimes being by yourself with the children is the
> best holiday one can anticipate... Camping is not what it used to be... I
> never worried about the creatures outside my tent but the campers on the
> next tent site
>
> LOL there are enough people camping in the campgrounds that you are never
> alone... Make sure you pack lots of "patience", "giggles", "songs" and a
> deck of cards!!! What a riot trying to set up the site for the first time
> on your own...
>
> Every year now we have made a trip to a place called Magic Mountain...
It's
> a water park about 2 hours away from us... Our first time we had all the
> gear for camping but really none of the expreience on our own (I was
always
> the one setting up the kitchen aspect of the gear and the kids were always
> the playing part *grin* once in a while I was the 'goffer' you know 'hey
Kim
> go fer that hammer... rope... whatever) SOOoooooooo set up was a riot and
at
> the end of it we sat down on the picnic table slugging back our can's of
> soda Oh so very proud of our accomplishment... Our site looked GOOD!
>
> IT IS frightening to do on your own the first time out... Once you've done
> it once you will wonder why you didn't do it before... I promise... LOL
and
> we even got rain on our first trip... Remember to et a big enough tent
that
> you can bring the picnic table into *grin*
>
> Dennis as always is dead on..."The trick is to look the world straight in
> the eye and make IT feel
> vulnerable." (I might have to borrow that line :)
>
> Kim

Colette Collopy
January 9th 04, 09:00 PM
Wow, Dennis, you from Ireland???? What part?? I am from Co. Wicklow
originally but living in UK at the moment. Miss home sooooo much. Was there
last July touring Limerick, Co Waterford, Wexford, Kilkenny and had a fab
time.
Col x
"Dennis Here" oureply>
wrote in message ...

> Tiffany wrote in message ...
>

> >How do you find out where hostels are located?
>

> Go here
> http://www.hihostels.com/openHome.sma
>
> It is the old Youth Hostel Association now named Hosteling International.
> They have a strict "No Prejudice" policy which includes age!
> Also there is no smoking or drinking aloud so the "rowdies" go elsewhere
> making them ideal for kids.
> Used them in Seattle, Portland, San Francisco and Melbourne (Oz) in recent
> years.
>
> There are plenty in Ireland too but you won't need them, you can stay
here!

> Dennis

Dennis Here
January 10th 04, 12:29 PM
Colette Collopy wrote in message ...

>Wow, Dennis, you from Ireland???? What part?? I am from Co. Wicklow
>originally but living in UK at the moment. Miss home sooooo much. Was
there
>last July touring Limerick, Co Waterford, Wexford, Kilkenny and had a fab
>time.

I am English and I live in rural Kilkenny.
Won't be long before the sheep are back in the field and I'll have
neighbours again.

Dennis

Dennis Here
January 10th 04, 12:32 PM
Tiffany wrote in message ...

>Thanks Dennis! And I will keep that offer in mind..... you don't mind
>children do you? lol

The more the merrier.
I have a heap coming today because it was Freddie's eigth birthday
yesterday!

Dennis

Colette Collopy
January 10th 04, 02:50 PM
You are one lucky so-and-so, Kilkenny is lovely.
Enjoy Col x
"Dennis Here" oureply>
wrote in message ...

> Colette Collopy wrote in message ...
>
> >Wow, Dennis, you from Ireland???? What part?? I am from Co. Wicklow
> >originally but living in UK at the moment. Miss home sooooo much. Was
> there
> >last July touring Limerick, Co Waterford, Wexford, Kilkenny and had a fab
> >time.
>

> I am English and I live in rural Kilkenny.
> Won't be long before the sheep are back in the field and I'll have
> neighbours again.
>
> Dennis

Tiffany
January 10th 04, 03:11 PM
Dennis Here oureply>
wrote in message ...

> Tiffany wrote in message ...
> >
> >Thanks Dennis! And I will keep that offer in mind..... you don't mind
> >children do you? lol
>
> The more the merrier.
> I have a heap coming today because it was Freddie's eigth birthday
> yesterday!
>
> Dennis

Don't worry, I only got one and she is old enough to baby-sit Freddie! lol
Freddie would probably adore her. Have fun today!

Tiffany
January 10th 04, 10:43 PM
Dennis Here oureply>
wrote in message ...

> Tiffany wrote in message ...
> >
> >Thanks Dennis! And I will keep that offer in mind..... you don't mind
> >children do you? lol
>
> The more the merrier.
> I have a heap coming today because it was Freddie's eigth birthday
> yesterday!
>
> Dennis

Wow.... I am checking out this hostelling site (or sites) and I could stay
in Thailand for 10 American dollars a night. Now in Japan it would cost
about $40. Maybe you can answer something for me..... do you get a
membership for each country or does the membership include any international
hostel listed on that site?

Dennis Here
January 11th 04, 11:00 AM
Tiffany wrote in message

>Wow.... I am checking out this hostelling site (or sites) and I could stay
>in Thailand for 10 American dollars a night. Now in Japan it would cost
>about $40. Maybe you can answer something for me..... do you get a
>membership for each country or does the membership include any
international
>hostel listed on that site?

In theory, one membership covers all and there is a free night when you fill
a card with "stamped" visits. In practice some claim to only be affiliated
and not part of the overall set up. Some will let you book the next one in
advance and some don't.
In practice, have the first night or two booked in advance and then go
wherever your fancy takes you. Really popular places do get fully booked
early though whilst some have a free for all only on the day you want to
stay with no pre-booking.

Dennis