PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else think this is Odd?

Moon Shyne
February 24th 04, 11:26 AM
My son is in 4th grade - he's a pretty good student, though he could stand a
little more concentrated effort - on the other hand, he had 4 low grades the
first report card, and raised each of them 2 grade levels by the second report
card..... mom was proud :-)

I heard from my son, and a friend of his, that their teacher has told the
friend's parents that he appears to be ADHD (the friend, not my son), and should
be on meds for 4 weeks to see if it helps.

This is a teacher who is young (26 or so), and this is her 4th year teaching -
last year she had 9th grade. Personally, I don't think she knows how to handle
9 and 10 year old little boys.........

Anyone else find it odd that this relatively inexperienced teacher who hasn't
gone to med school is now diagnosing ADHD and recommending meds? I've seen the
child in question, and he and my son can play YuGiOh for hours......... and
while I'm not a doctor either, I don't see anything that raises cause for
alarm........

Thoughts?

Tiffany
February 24th 04, 12:30 PM
Moon Shyne > wrote in message
> My son is in 4th grade - he's a pretty good student, though he could stand
> little more concentrated effort - on the other hand, he had 4 low grades
the
> first report card, and raised each of them 2 grade levels by the second
report
> card..... mom was proud :-)
>
> I heard from my son, and a friend of his, that their teacher has told the
> friend's parents that he appears to be ADHD (the friend, not my son), and
should
> be on meds for 4 weeks to see if it helps.
>
> This is a teacher who is young (26 or so), and this is her 4th year
teaching -
> last year she had 9th grade. Personally, I don't think she knows how to
handle
> 9 and 10 year old little boys.........
>
> Anyone else find it odd that this relatively inexperienced teacher who
hasn't
> gone to med school is now diagnosing ADHD and recommending meds? I've
seen the
> child in question, and he and my son can play YuGiOh for hours.........
and
> while I'm not a doctor either, I don't see anything that raises cause for
> alarm........
>
> Thoughts?

Article in Psychology Today states that teachers are most likely to be the
first to suggest a diagnoses of ADHD (researcher surveyed the DC area) It
was 47% teachers, 30% parents, 11% primary care physicians, 6% school
personnel other then teachers, 3% child psychiatrists.

Apparently not odd but I think some teachers are going out of their scope of
expertise.

Bebe lestrnge
February 24th 04, 01:48 PM
Anyone Else think this is Odd?

Group: alt.support.single-parents Date: Tue, Feb 24, 2004, 5:26am
(EST-1) From: (Moon=A0Shyne)

My son is in 4th grade - he's a pretty good student, though he could
stand a little more concentrated effort - on the other hand, he had 4
low grades the first report card, and raised each of them 2 grade levels
by the second report card..... mom was proud :-)

<Good for you both ! It is great isn't it !

I heard from my son, and a friend of his, that their teacher has told
the friend's parents that he appears to be ADHD (the friend, not my
son), and should be on meds for 4 weeks to see if it helps.

<This reminds me ......when my daughter was found to be having
difficulty in school, a psychiatrist we saw thought ADHD and suggested
we try meds for it .My daughter was 12 years old. He said "It's the
easiest way to diagnose it, because if the child improves on the med the
child has it and if not he/she doesn't". So that's the practice of
medicine for ya? My daughter was not on the meds long.........so that is
how they ruled out ADHD .

This is a teacher who is young (26 or so), and this is her 4th year
teaching - last year she had 9th grade. Personally, I don't think she
knows how to handle 9 and 10 year old little boys.........

<You could be right ,I see teachers working with learning disabled as
well that absolutely should not !

Anyone else find it odd that this relatively inexperienced teacher who
hasn't gone to med school is now diagnosing ADHD and recommending meds?

<Nope they do it all the time. It is all a big guessing game, it is hell
for the kids and for the parents . Bev

hdbabe
February 24th 04, 03:45 PM
Tiffany is correct, teachers are the first ones to suggest. However, if your having doubts there is a test that can be administered by your doctor. It's a questionaire that you fill out and the teacher fills out, then the doctor evaluates the child. I know, I've been thru it. And unfortuantly my kid is ADHD. The meds help. I didn't want to, but I realized that I had to do what was in his best interest. And sadly, just because they can play Yi-Gi-Oh for hours doesn't mean anything. Mine would play Hot wheels hour after hour. What they want to know is how well he stays on task during homework, or doing something that's not 'fun'. The ability to focus on work. You have the right to question the teacher, go and observe if you can. Or request that the school physc. observe. If your insurance allows it have him evaluated by a professional. Just don't say anything to the teacher about what your doing. And if he has to go on meds, again do not tell the teacher. Wait and see if she notices anything first. It could just be her if after you've eliminated the possiblities. I have met some teachers that just 'don't want to deal with it'. Get an outside objective if possible. All I'm saying is, eliminate any doubts before lashing out at some 26 year-old. Good Luck

xkatx
February 24th 04, 07:24 PM
hdbabe > wrote in message
lkaboutsupport.com...
<snip>
>And sadly, just because they can play Yi-Gi-Oh for hours doesn't mean
anything. Mine would play Hot wheels hour after hour. What they want to know
is how well he stays on task during homework, or doing something that's not
'fun'. The ability to focus on work. You have the right to question the
teacher, go and observe if you can. Or request that the school physc.
observe.

I'll agree with the above, but, also, is the child being challenged enough
in class? Boredom in class could also cause lack of interest, which could
possibly come across as the unability to focus on the tasks at hand that
really are not that fun for a grade four boy.

Lost my train of thought. Think I said enough for now.

<snip again>

Cele
February 25th 04, 12:49 AM
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 05:26:17 -0600, "Moon Shyne"
> wrote:

>My son is in 4th grade - he's a pretty good student, though he could stand a
>little more concentrated effort - on the other hand, he had 4 low grades the
>first report card, and raised each of them 2 grade levels by the second report
>card..... mom was proud :-)
>
>I heard from my son, and a friend of his, that their teacher has told the
>friend's parents that he appears to be ADHD (the friend, not my son), and should
>be on meds for 4 weeks to see if it helps.
>
>This is a teacher who is young (26 or so), and this is her 4th year teaching -
>last year she had 9th grade. Personally, I don't think she knows how to handle
>9 and 10 year old little boys.........
>
>Anyone else find it odd that this relatively inexperienced teacher who hasn't
>gone to med school is now diagnosing ADHD and recommending meds? I've seen the
>child in question, and he and my son can play YuGiOh for hours......... and
>while I'm not a doctor either, I don't see anything that raises cause for
>alarm........
>
>Thoughts?

Teachers don't diagnose. If a teacher suspects ADHD the appropriate
response to that, is to alert the parents to the concern and suggest
that the child be seen by a doctor, and possibly request the parent's
signature in order to have a school psychologist do an evaluation.
Teachers *do not* diagnose ADHD and *do not* prescribe meds. Teachers
often flag a child for investigation if they think that child is
showing atypical behaviour of some sort, which they *are* qualified to
do. But the investigation for a medical condition is the department of
doctors, and for a psychological condition, of psychologists.

That said, clearly the teacher sees atypical behaviour in this child
that she thinks warrants investigation. If she actually said the kid
should try meds, she was overstepping. If she suggested a check by a
doctor to see whether ADHD is present, and mentioned that meds are
sometimes used on a trial basis as part of the diagnosis, that's
something else. What she sees that she finds cause for concern is
unknown at this point, but there are lots of different things kids do
that sometimes warrant investigation. A good teacher *should* draw
parents' attention to concerns if they are significant, but obviously
the more experienced the teacher, the more likely it is that her
judgement will be accurate. It's certainly not uncommon for little
boys to be suspected of having ADHD when what they've got is a bad
case of little boy. Sometimes, too, children who are in very good
control of themselves but choose not to excercise control in the way
the teacher would like, are also suspected of having ADHD. All of
these are things that a qualified psychologist together with a
paediatrician can determine, which is why a teacher generally should
refer onward.

HTH.

Cele

Cele
February 25th 04, 12:54 AM
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 09:45:03 -0600, "hdbabe"
> wrote:

>Tiffany is correct, teachers are the first ones to suggest.

And that's okay, because 'suggesting' is different from 'diagnosing'.
:-) Teachers see a lot of kids, so it's not surprising that they're
the first to notice when one kid is atypical in some way.

>However, if your having doubts there is a test that can be administered by your doctor. It's a questionaire that you fill out and the teacher fills out, then the doctor evaluates the child.

That's one of several diagnostic instruments used. You've gotta love
the one where the kid has to listen for ages to a series of single
words and stick their thumb up only when they hear 'dog' or whatever.
Boy, if they can handle THAT well, they sure don't have ADHD! LOL

>I know, I've been thru it. And unfortuantly my kid is ADHD. The meds help.

Sorry to hear it. The meds tend only to help kids with true ADHD.
They're stimulants, usually, and have the opposite effect on these
kids to the one they have on everyone else. That's why sometimes the
response to medication is part of the diagnostic process. Hence the
'trial' of meds.

>I didn't want to, but I realized that I had to do what was in his best interest. And sadly, just because they can play Yi-Gi-Oh for hours doesn't mean anything. Mine would play Hot wheels hour after hour. What they want to know is how well he stays on task during homework, or doing something that's not 'fun'. The ability to focus on work. You have the right to question the teacher, go and observe if you can. Or request that the school physc. observe. If your insurance allows it have him evaluated by a professional. Just don't say anything to the teacher about what your doing. And if he has to go on meds, again do not tell the teacher. Wait and see if she notices
>anything first. It could just be her if after you've eliminated the possiblities. I have met some teachers that just 'don't want to deal with it'. Get an outside objective if possible. All I'm saying is, eliminate any doubts before lashing out at some 26 year-old. Good Luck

I don't think it was MoonShyne's child, it was her child's friend,
wasn't it?

Cele

February 25th 04, 04:36 AM
"Moon Shyne" > wrote in message
> My son is in 4th grade - he's a pretty good student, though he could stand a
> little more concentrated effort - on the other hand, he had 4 low grades the
> first report card, and raised each of them 2 grade levels by the second
report
> card..... mom was proud :-)
>
> I heard from my son, and a friend of his, that their teacher has told the
> friend's parents that he appears to be ADHD (the friend, not my son), and
should
> be on meds for 4 weeks to see if it helps.
>
> This is a teacher who is young (26 or so), and this is her 4th year
teaching -
> last year she had 9th grade. Personally, I don't think she knows how to
handle
> 9 and 10 year old little boys.........
>
> Anyone else find it odd that this relatively inexperienced teacher who
hasn't
> gone to med school is now diagnosing ADHD and recommending meds? I've seen
the
> child in question, and he and my son can play YuGiOh for hours......... and
> while I'm not a doctor either, I don't see anything that raises cause for
> alarm........
>
> Thoughts?

Teachers spend much time with our children. I might not have noticed John's
behavior if his second grade teacher did not point it out to be that it was
becoming abnormal.
She put it in a snotty way, but she was a young freshly graduated girl. In the
end, she helped a lot.
Good luck Moon,

Moon Shyne
February 25th 04, 11:22 AM
"hdbabe" > wrote in message
lkaboutsupport.com...
> Tiffany is correct, teachers are the first ones to suggest. However, if your
having doubts there is a test that can be administered by your doctor. It's a
questionaire that you fill out and the teacher fills out, then the doctor
evaluates the child. I know, I've been thru it. And unfortuantly my kid is ADHD.
The meds help. I didn't want to, but I realized that I had to do what was in his
best interest. And sadly, just because they can play Yi-Gi-Oh for hours doesn't
mean anything. Mine would play Hot wheels hour after hour. What they want to
know is how well he stays on task during homework, or doing something that's not
'fun'. The ability to focus on work. You have the right to question the teacher,
go and observe if you can. Or request that the school physc. observe. If your
insurance allows it have him evaluated by a professional. Just don't say
anything to the teacher about what your doing. And if he has to go on meds,
again do not tell the teacher. Wait and see if she notices anything first. It
could just be her if after you've eliminated the possiblities. I have met some
teachers that just 'don't want to deal with it'. Get an outside objective if
possible. All I'm saying is, eliminate any doubts before lashing out at some 26
year-old. Good Luck

You misunderstood - it's not my son that the teacher is 'diagnosing' - it's
another child. Thanks for the feedback though.

Moon Shyne
February 25th 04, 11:22 AM
"Cele" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 09:45:03 -0600, "hdbabe"
> > wrote:
>
> >Tiffany is correct, teachers are the first ones to suggest.
>
> And that's okay, because 'suggesting' is different from 'diagnosing'.
> :-) Teachers see a lot of kids, so it's not surprising that they're
> the first to notice when one kid is atypical in some way.
>
> >However, if your having doubts there is a test that can be administered by
your doctor. It's a questionaire that you fill out and the teacher fills out,
then the doctor evaluates the child.

> That's one of several diagnostic instruments used. You've gotta love
> the one where the kid has to listen for ages to a series of single
> words and stick their thumb up only when they hear 'dog' or whatever.
> Boy, if they can handle THAT well, they sure don't have ADHD! LOL
>
> >I know, I've been thru it. And unfortuantly my kid is ADHD. The meds help.
>
> Sorry to hear it. The meds tend only to help kids with true ADHD.
> They're stimulants, usually, and have the opposite effect on these
> kids to the one they have on everyone else. That's why sometimes the
> response to medication is part of the diagnostic process. Hence the
> 'trial' of meds.
>
> >I didn't want to, but I realized that I had to do what was in his best
interest. And sadly, just because they can play Yi-Gi-Oh for hours doesn't mean
anything. Mine would play Hot wheels hour after hour. What they want to know is
how well he stays on task during homework, or doing something that's not 'fun'.
The ability to focus on work. You have the right to question the teacher, go and
observe if you can. Or request that the school physc. observe. If your insurance
allows it have him evaluated by a professional. Just don't say anything to the
teacher about what your doing. And if he has to go on meds, again do not tell
the teacher. Wait and see if she notices
> >anything first. It could just be her if after you've eliminated the
possiblities. I have met some teachers that just 'don't want to deal with it'.
Get an outside objective if possible. All I'm saying is, eliminate any doubts
before lashing out at some 26 year-old. Good Luck

> I don't think it was MoonShyne's child, it was her child's friend,
> wasn't it?

Yup

> Cele

Moon Shyne
February 25th 04, 11:24 AM
<'Kate> wrote in message ...
> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 05:26:17 -0600, "Moon Shyne"
> >
> >My son is in 4th grade - he's a pretty good student, though he could stand a
> >little more concentrated effort - on the other hand, he had 4 low grades the
> >first report card, and raised each of them 2 grade levels by the second
report
> >card..... mom was proud :-)
> >
> >I heard from my son, and a friend of his, that their teacher has told the
> >friend's parents that he appears to be ADHD (the friend, not my son), and
should
> >be on meds for 4 weeks to see if it helps.
> >
> >This is a teacher who is young (26 or so), and this is her 4th year
teaching -
> >last year she had 9th grade. Personally, I don't think she knows how to
handle
> >9 and 10 year old little boys.........
> >
> >Anyone else find it odd that this relatively inexperienced teacher who hasn't
> >gone to med school is now diagnosing ADHD and recommending meds? I've seen
the
> >child in question, and he and my son can play YuGiOh for hours......... and
> >while I'm not a doctor either, I don't see anything that raises cause for
> >alarm........
> >
> >Thoughts?
>
> I think it's the parent's job to advocate for the child and no meds are
> issued solely on a teachers say-so. But the teacher will have some
> imput as part of the evaluation is her judgment of the child's
> behaviors. With all the info lately about ADD and misdiagnosis, most
> doctors are aware of the need of an independent assessment. The parents
> do have final say on whether or not to medicate the child.
>
> Whether to get involved in it or not is entirely dependent on your
> relationship with the parents of the child. At this point, they're
> likely to be touchy about it.... if you know them well, it would pay to
> ask if they'd mind if you share your opinion and experience with them
> before you do.

We're good friends - and we talked about it last night - I recommended they have
at least one, and preferably 2 outside evaluations before they put the boy on
meds - this teacher isn't real high on my list - one project the kids did, she
sent home a paper with additional questions that she was requiring them to get
answers to - and one of the questions was about the parents' political views - I
took that one to the principal :-)

> 'Kate

hdbabe
February 25th 04, 03:56 PM
Cele,
Since she was asking for her freind, she could possibly relay the 'advice' as a - I have a friend who went thru this and this is was her experience.....
ES

February 25th 04, 04:59 PM
"Moon Shyne" > wrote in message

> "hdbabe" > wrote in message
> lkaboutsupport.com...
> > Tiffany is correct, teachers are the first ones to suggest. However, if
your
> having doubts there is a test that can be administered by your doctor. It's
> questionaire that you fill out and the teacher fills out, then the doctor
> evaluates the child. I know, I've been thru it. And unfortuantly my kid is
ADHD.
> The meds help. I didn't want to, but I realized that I had to do what was in
his
> best interest. And sadly, just because they can play Yi-Gi-Oh for hours
doesn't
> mean anything. Mine would play Hot wheels hour after hour. What they want to
> know is how well he stays on task during homework, or doing something that's
not
> 'fun'. The ability to focus on work. You have the right to question the
teacher,
> go and observe if you can. Or request that the school physc. observe. If
your
> insurance allows it have him evaluated by a professional. Just don't say
> anything to the teacher about what your doing. And if he has to go on meds,
> again do not tell the teacher. Wait and see if she notices anything first.
It
> could just be her if after you've eliminated the possiblities. I have met
some
> teachers that just 'don't want to deal with it'. Get an outside objective if
> possible. All I'm saying is, eliminate any doubts before lashing out at some
26
> year-old. Good Luck
>
> You misunderstood - it's not my son that the teacher is 'diagnosing' - it's
> another child. Thanks for the feedback though.

Sorry Moon, it has been raining here for about 2 weeks and I am in a state of
can't thinkism...lol..

February 25th 04, 05:01 PM
"Moon Shyne" > wrote in message

> <'Kate> wrote in message ...
> > On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 05:26:17 -0600, "Moon Shyne"
> > >
> > >My son is in 4th grade - he's a pretty good student, though he could
stand a
> > >little more concentrated effort - on the other hand, he had 4 low grades
the
> > >first report card, and raised each of them 2 grade levels by the second
> report
> > >card..... mom was proud :-)
> > >
> > >I heard from my son, and a friend of his, that their teacher has told the
> > >friend's parents that he appears to be ADHD (the friend, not my son), and
> should
> > >be on meds for 4 weeks to see if it helps.
> > >
> > >This is a teacher who is young (26 or so), and this is her 4th year
> teaching -
> > >last year she had 9th grade. Personally, I don't think she knows how to
> handle
> > >9 and 10 year old little boys.........
> > >
> > >Anyone else find it odd that this relatively inexperienced teacher who
hasn't
> > >gone to med school is now diagnosing ADHD and recommending meds? I've
seen
> the
> > >child in question, and he and my son can play YuGiOh for hours.........
and
> > >while I'm not a doctor either, I don't see anything that raises cause for
> > >alarm........
> > >
> > >Thoughts?
> >
> > I think it's the parent's job to advocate for the child and no meds are
> > issued solely on a teachers say-so. But the teacher will have some
> > imput as part of the evaluation is her judgment of the child's
> > behaviors. With all the info lately about ADD and misdiagnosis, most
> > doctors are aware of the need of an independent assessment. The parents
> > do have final say on whether or not to medicate the child.
> >
> > Whether to get involved in it or not is entirely dependent on your
> > relationship with the parents of the child. At this point, they're
> > likely to be touchy about it.... if you know them well, it would pay to
> > ask if they'd mind if you share your opinion and experience with them
> > before you do.
>
> We're good friends - and we talked about it last night - I recommended they
have
> at least one, and preferably 2 outside evaluations before they put the boy
on
> meds - this teacher isn't real high on my list - one project the kids did,
she
> sent home a paper with additional questions that she was requiring them to
get
> answers to - and one of the questions was about the parents' political
views - I
> took that one to the principal :-)
>

> > 'Kate

hee hee..I can see my kids coming home with the question about mommy's
politics..."Mommy is a gun totin' liberal !" bwah

Moon Shyne
February 27th 04, 01:20 AM
"V" > wrote in message

> "Moon Shyne" > wrote in message
> >
> > "hdbabe" > wrote in message
> > lkaboutsupport.com...
> > > Tiffany is correct, teachers are the first ones to suggest. However, if
> your
> > having doubts there is a test that can be administered by your doctor. It's
> > questionaire that you fill out and the teacher fills out, then the doctor
> > evaluates the child. I know, I've been thru it. And unfortuantly my kid is
> ADHD.
> > The meds help. I didn't want to, but I realized that I had to do what was in
> his
> > best interest. And sadly, just because they can play Yi-Gi-Oh for hours
> doesn't
> > mean anything. Mine would play Hot wheels hour after hour. What they want to
> > know is how well he stays on task during homework, or doing something that's
> not
> > 'fun'. The ability to focus on work. You have the right to question the
> teacher,
> > go and observe if you can. Or request that the school physc. observe. If
> your
> > insurance allows it have him evaluated by a professional. Just don't say
> > anything to the teacher about what your doing. And if he has to go on meds,
> > again do not tell the teacher. Wait and see if she notices anything first.
> It
> > could just be her if after you've eliminated the possiblities. I have met
> some
> > teachers that just 'don't want to deal with it'. Get an outside objective if
> > possible. All I'm saying is, eliminate any doubts before lashing out at some
> 26
> > year-old. Good Luck
> >
> > You misunderstood - it's not my son that the teacher is 'diagnosing' - it's
> > another child. Thanks for the feedback though.
> > >

> Sorry Moon, it has been raining here for about 2 weeks and I am in a state of
> can't thinkism...lol..

No prob - I have a case of over-loaditis, and was invited today for a personal
interview for webmaster to a sizeable city (government job with all the
government type benefits) - which is a step up from my current corporate
webmaster job - so I'm somewhere between disbelief, and planning on the new job
already :-)

Moon Shyne
February 27th 04, 01:22 AM
"V" > wrote in message

> "Moon Shyne" > wrote in message
> >
> > <'Kate> wrote in message ...
> > > On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 05:26:17 -0600, "Moon Shyne"

> stand a
> the
> > report

> > should

> > teaching -
> > handle

> hasn't
> seen
> > the
> and

> > > I think it's the parent's job to advocate for the child and no meds are
> > > issued solely on a teachers say-so. But the teacher will have some
> > > imput as part of the evaluation is her judgment of the child's
> > > behaviors. With all the info lately about ADD and misdiagnosis, most
> > > doctors are aware of the need of an independent assessment. The parents
> > > do have final say on whether or not to medicate the child.
> > >
> > > Whether to get involved in it or not is entirely dependent on your
> > > relationship with the parents of the child. At this point, they're
> > > likely to be touchy about it.... if you know them well, it would pay to
> > > ask if they'd mind if you share your opinion and experience with them
> > > before you do.
> >
> > We're good friends - and we talked about it last night - I recommended they
> have
> > at least one, and preferably 2 outside evaluations before they put the boy
> on
> > meds - this teacher isn't real high on my list - one project the kids did,
> she
> > sent home a paper with additional questions that she was requiring them to
> get
> > answers to - and one of the questions was about the parents' political
> views - I
> > took that one to the principal :-)
> >

> > > 'Kate
> > >

> hee hee..I can see my kids coming home with the question about mommy's
> politics..."Mommy is a gun totin' liberal !" bwah

ROFLMAO!! Well...... let's just say, I'm not your average mom........ and I'll
defend my children's rights to be precisely who they are, rather than try to
turn them into something the school system seems to think they should be........
and so far, I've got one who makes honor roll consistantly, and another who
pulled a D and 3 C's into a B and 3 A's........ so I'll stay unconventional,
and let them be who they are, thankyewverymuch :-)

(of course, the ex still tries to insist I'm a lousy mother......)

xkatx
February 27th 04, 02:21 AM
"Moon Shyne" wrote in message ...

<snip the long stuff>

> ROFLMAO!! Well...... let's just say, I'm not your average mom........ and
I'll
> defend my children's rights to be precisely who they are, rather than try
> turn them into something the school system seems to think they should
be........
> and so far, I've got one who makes honor roll consistantly, and another
who
> pulled a D and 3 C's into a B and 3 A's........ so I'll stay
unconventional,
> and let them be who they are, thankyewverymuch :-)
>
> (of course, the ex still tries to insist I'm a lousy mother......)

Then you should teach classes on how to be a lousy mother, or a lousy parent
in general.
Seems to me that you're doing a damn fine job at the lousy motherhood thing!
;)

P.S., sign me up, I'm pretty much available any day in the evenings, all day
on weekends :P

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

(Reply to xkatx[at]shaw[dot]ca, and change the obvious, asshat.)

February 27th 04, 03:22 AM
"Moon Shyne" > wrote in message

> No prob - I have a case of over-loaditis, and was invited today for a
personal
> interview for webmaster to a sizeable city (government job with all the
> government type benefits) - which is a step up from my current corporate
> webmaster job - so I'm somewhere between disbelief, and planning on the new
job
> already :-)

I am so proud of you!
Good luck!

February 27th 04, 03:24 AM
"Moon Shyne" > wrote in message

> "V" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Moon Shyne" > wrote in message

> ROFLMAO!! Well...... let's just say, I'm not your average mom........ and
I'll
> defend my children's rights to be precisely who they are, rather than try to
> turn them into something the school system seems to think they should
be........
> and so far, I've got one who makes honor roll consistantly, and another who
> pulled a D and 3 C's into a B and 3 A's........ so I'll stay
unconventional,
> and let them be who they are, thankyewverymuch :-)
>
> (of course, the ex still tries to insist I'm a lousy mother......)

Well you are a wonderful mother and pootie on him!
Most of the time, they will come around with lots of support and love.
"I have learned silence from the talkative; tolerance from the intolerant
and kindness from the unkind. I should not be ungrateful to those teachers"
Kahilil Gibran

February 27th 04, 03:24 AM
"xkatx" .> wrote in message

> "Moon Shyne" wrote in message ...
>
> <snip the long stuff>
>
> > ROFLMAO!! Well...... let's just say, I'm not your average mom........ and
> I'll
> > defend my children's rights to be precisely who they are, rather than try
> > turn them into something the school system seems to think they should
> be........
> > and so far, I've got one who makes honor roll consistantly, and another
> who
> > pulled a D and 3 C's into a B and 3 A's........ so I'll stay
> unconventional,
> > and let them be who they are, thankyewverymuch :-)
> >
> > (of course, the ex still tries to insist I'm a lousy mother......)
>
> Then you should teach classes on how to be a lousy mother, or a lousy parent
> in general.
> Seems to me that you're doing a damn fine job at the lousy motherhood thing!
> ;)
>
> P.S., sign me up, I'm pretty much available any day in the evenings, all day
> on weekends :P
>

> --
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> A: Top-posting.
> Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet?
>

> (Reply to xkatx[at]shaw[dot]ca, and change the obvious, asshat.)

Weekends are good for me too. Not been out in years!
heh!

Moon Shyne
February 27th 04, 10:31 AM
<'Kate> wrote in message ...
> On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 19:20:12 -0600, "Moon Shyne"
> >

> >No prob - I have a case of over-loaditis, and was invited today for a
personal
> >interview for webmaster to a sizeable city (government job with all the
> >government type benefits) - which is a step up from my current corporate
> >webmaster job - so I'm somewhere between disbelief, and planning on the new
job
> >already :-)
>
> I'm so happy for you! I hope you get it. You *will* get it... 'cause
> you're awesome!

Not really........ but thanks - actually, I have family in the area where this
interview is, so they're already trying to figure out how we're going to get
together for coffee or something

Ok, so what do I wear? <G>

> 'Kate

Moon Shyne
February 27th 04, 10:32 AM
"V" > wrote in message

> "Moon Shyne" > wrote in message
>

> > No prob - I have a case of over-loaditis, and was invited today for a
> personal
> > interview for webmaster to a sizeable city (government job with all the
> > government type benefits) - which is a step up from my current corporate
> > webmaster job - so I'm somewhere between disbelief, and planning on the new
> job
> > already :-)

> I am so proud of you!
> Good luck!

Thanks :-) Right now, I'm pretty much a basket case...... and all I hear in my
head is a slightly different version of "I'm going to Disney" (pity this city
isn't in the same state as Disney, wouldn't THAT be cool!!)

Moon Shyne
February 27th 04, 10:33 AM
"xkatx" .> wrote in message

> "Moon Shyne" wrote in message ...
>
> <snip the long stuff>
>
> > ROFLMAO!! Well...... let's just say, I'm not your average mom........ and
> I'll
> > defend my children's rights to be precisely who they are, rather than try
> > turn them into something the school system seems to think they should
> be........
> > and so far, I've got one who makes honor roll consistantly, and another
> who
> > pulled a D and 3 C's into a B and 3 A's........ so I'll stay
> unconventional,
> > and let them be who they are, thankyewverymuch :-)
> >
> > (of course, the ex still tries to insist I'm a lousy mother......)
>
> Then you should teach classes on how to be a lousy mother, or a lousy parent
> in general.
> Seems to me that you're doing a damn fine job at the lousy motherhood thing!
> ;)
>
> P.S., sign me up, I'm pretty much available any day in the evenings, all day
> on weekends :P

Come on over, I'll make the coffee - I also give lessons on how to make money on
eBay <G>

"V" > wrote in message

> "xkatx" .> wrote in message
> >
> > "Moon Shyne" wrote in message ...
> >
> > <snip the long stuff>
> >
> > > ROFLMAO!! Well...... let's just say, I'm not your average mom........ and
> > I'll
> > > defend my children's rights to be precisely who they are, rather than try
> > > turn them into something the school system seems to think they should
> > be........
> > > and so far, I've got one who makes honor roll consistantly, and another
> > who
> > > pulled a D and 3 C's into a B and 3 A's........ so I'll stay
> > unconventional,
> > > and let them be who they are, thankyewverymuch :-)
> > >
> > > (of course, the ex still tries to insist I'm a lousy mother......)
> >
> > Then you should teach classes on how to be a lousy mother, or a lousy parent
> > in general.
> > Seems to me that you're doing a damn fine job at the lousy motherhood thing!
> > ;)
> >
> > P.S., sign me up, I'm pretty much available any day in the evenings, all day
> > on weekends :P
> >

> > --
> > A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> > Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> > A: Top-posting.
> > Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet?
> >

> > (Reply to xkatx[at]shaw[dot]ca, and change the obvious, asshat.)
> >

> Weekends are good for me too. Not been out in years!
> heh!

You bringing the chips and dip?

Moon Shyne
February 27th 04, 10:35 AM
"V" > wrote in message

> "Moon Shyne" > wrote in message
> >
> > "V" > wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Moon Shyne" > wrote in message
>
> > ROFLMAO!! Well...... let's just say, I'm not your average mom........ and
> I'll
> > defend my children's rights to be precisely who they are, rather than try to
> > turn them into something the school system seems to think they should
> be........
> > and so far, I've got one who makes honor roll consistantly, and another who
> > pulled a D and 3 C's into a B and 3 A's........ so I'll stay
> unconventional,
> > and let them be who they are, thankyewverymuch :-)
> >
> > (of course, the ex still tries to insist I'm a lousy mother......)
> >
> Well you are a wonderful mother and pootie on him!
> Most of the time, they will come around with lots of support and love.

Well....... threatening to (A) sell them to the gypsies (which is a problem
cause I found out I'm part Romanian, so I AM the gypsies) or (B) threatening to
ground them for life doesn't hurt in the child-raising process, either :-)

> --
> "I have learned silence from the talkative; tolerance from the intolerant
> and kindness from the unkind. I should not be ungrateful to those teachers"
> Kahilil Gibran

xkatx
February 27th 04, 04:04 PM
"Moon Shyne" wrote in message ...

> "xkatx" wrote in message
> >
> > "Moon Shyne" wrote in message ...
> >
> > <snip the long stuff>
> >
> > > ROFLMAO!! Well...... let's just say, I'm not your average mom........
and
> > I'll
> > > defend my children's rights to be precisely who they are, rather than
try
> > > turn them into something the school system seems to think they should
> > be........
> > > and so far, I've got one who makes honor roll consistantly, and
another
> > who
> > > pulled a D and 3 C's into a B and 3 A's........ so I'll stay
> > unconventional,
> > > and let them be who they are, thankyewverymuch :-)
> > >
> > > (of course, the ex still tries to insist I'm a lousy mother......)
> >
> > Then you should teach classes on how to be a lousy mother, or a lousy
parent
> > in general.
> > Seems to me that you're doing a damn fine job at the lousy motherhood
thing!
> > ;)
> >
> > P.S., sign me up, I'm pretty much available any day in the evenings, all
day
> > on weekends :P
>
> Come on over, I'll make the coffee - I also give lessons on how to make
money on
> eBay <G>

Does 7 work for you? I don't like coffee, but this is one time I can
definitely make an exception. Put that pot on!

I can also give some advice on how to CUT UP YOUR CREDIT CARD after using
eBay waaaaay too much... lol... I have lots of personal experience there!

> > --
> > A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> > Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> > A: Top-posting.
> > Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet?
> >

> > (Reply to xkatx[at]shaw[dot]ca, and change the obvious, asshat.)

February 27th 04, 08:29 PM
"Moon Shyne" > wrote in message

> "V" > wrote in message
> >
> > "xkatx" .> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Moon Shyne" wrote in message ...
> > >
> > > <snip the long stuff>

and
> > > I'll
> > > be........
> > > who
> > > unconventional,

> > > Then you should teach classes on how to be a lousy mother, or a lousy
parent
> > > in general.
> > > Seems to me that you're doing a damn fine job at the lousy motherhood
thing!
> > > ;)
> > >
> > > P.S., sign me up, I'm pretty much available any day in the evenings, all
day
> > > on weekends :P
> > >

> > > --
> > > A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> > > Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> > > A: Top-posting.
> > > Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet?
> > >

> > > (Reply to xkatx[at]shaw[dot]ca, and change the obvious, asshat.)
> > >

> > Weekends are good for me too. Not been out in years!
> > heh!
>
> You bringing the chips and dip?

nah..the crack pipe and some old milwaukee.....remember we ARE bad moms!
V, who really does not own drug paraphernalia.

xkatx
February 27th 04, 08:39 PM
"V" wrote in message ...

> "Moon Shyne" wrote in message

> and
> try
> another

> parent
> thing!

> day

> > > Weekends are good for me too. Not been out in years!
> > > heh!
> >
> > You bringing the chips and dip?

> nah..the crack pipe and some old milwaukee.....remember we ARE bad moms!

Good point.

> V, who really does not own drug paraphernalia.

Then I guess you're going to have to find someone who does, IF you really,
truly want to be a bad mom. It's just the way it has to go.

February 28th 04, 02:10 AM
"xkatx" .> wrote in message

> "V" wrote in message ...

> mom........
> > and
> than
> > try
> should
> > another

> lousy
> > parent
> motherhood
> > thing!

> all
> > day

> text.

> > > You bringing the chips and dip?

> > nah..the crack pipe and some old milwaukee.....remember we ARE bad moms!
>
> Good point.
>
> > V, who really does not own drug paraphernalia.
>
> Then I guess you're going to have to find someone who does, IF you really,
> truly want to be a bad mom. It's just the way it has to go.

LOL..oh well...can't ruin my career..so I have to be a good girl and just
drink.
::winks::

xkatx
February 28th 04, 05:37 PM
"V" wrote in message...

> "xkatx" wrote in message

> > mom........
> > > and
> > than
> > > try
> > should
> > > another

> > lousy
> > > parent
> > motherhood
> > > thing!

> > all
> > > day

> > text.

> > > nah..the crack pipe and some old milwaukee.....remember we ARE bad
moms!

> > Good point.
> >
> > > V, who really does not own drug paraphernalia.
> >
> > Then I guess you're going to have to find someone who does, IF you
really,
> > truly want to be a bad mom. It's just the way it has to go.
> >

> LOL..oh well...can't ruin my career..so I have to be a good girl and just
> drink.
> ::winks::

LOL you and me both!

Moon Shyne
February 29th 04, 01:26 PM
"xkatx" .> wrote in message

> "V" wrote in message...

> > > mom........
> rather
> > > than
> > > should
> and

> mother......)

> > > lousy
> > > motherhood

> evenings,
> > > all

> > > text.

> moms!
> > >
> > > Good point.

> > > Then I guess you're going to have to find someone who does, IF you
> really,
> > > truly want to be a bad mom. It's just the way it has to go.
> > >

> > LOL..oh well...can't ruin my career..so I have to be a good girl and just
> > drink.
> > ::winks::
>
> LOL you and me both!

Where's my halo? I don't drink (hits my system too easily, 1 drink and I feel
it, so why bother)