PDA

View Full Version : This child was not wanted

Brettg
July 21st 03, 03:54 AM
I found this article on the net today.

How do you tell your child that you wish that he had never been born and that he
is just a financial burden to you? How do you make sure that he will be regularly
reminded of this fact throughout his life? One way is to sue a doctor for
performing an operation with a known failure rate because he didn't do a perfect
job.

The newspapers and electronic media around my place this week have been full of a
story about a woman being awarded a very large sum of money because she had a baby
some years after having a sterilisation operation. She informed the surgeon at the
time that her right ovary and fallopian tube had been removed in a previous
appendectomy operation, so all he had to do was tie off the left tube. The doctor
rather incautiously did not check on this while he had her cut open, possibly
through a fear of being sued for doing exploratory surgery even a short distance
away from the specific place for which he had received authority from the patient
(a fear which it now seems would have been well justified). When she fell
pregnanta few years later she could have had an abortion (any religious objection
to abortion would surely also imply objection to tubal ligation as a means of
contraception) but instead she chose to proceed with the pregnancy. Then she heard
about lawyers. She is making the usual noises about how she loves her son very
much (but not enough to pay for him like the rest of us have to do for our
children, planned or not) and how she didn't do it for the money but just to send
a message to doctors (so why did she do it at all or why doesn't she give the
money to charity?). One result of this incident is that doctors are already
talking about refusing to perform elective surgery where there is a risk of
failure, because the insurance protection against fatuous claims like this is too
expensive.

There was a very nice photograph in the paper showing the mother and her son
smiling broadly. She is smiling because she has just won the lottery. He is
smiling because he doesn't understand what is going on.

The Millenium Project
http://www.ratbags.com/rsoles/

dani
July 21st 03, 05:58 AM
Brettg wrote:
> I found this article on the net today.
> __________________________________________________ _
>
> How do you tell your child that you wish that he had never been born and that he
> is just a financial burden to you? How do you make sure that he will be regularly
> reminded of this fact throughout his life? One way is to sue a doctor for
> performing an operation with a known failure rate because he didn't do a perfect
> job.
>
> The newspapers and electronic media around my place this week have been full of a
> story about a woman being awarded a very large sum of money because she had a baby
> some years after having a sterilisation operation. She informed the surgeon at the
> time that her right ovary and fallopian tube had been removed in a previous
> appendectomy operation, so all he had to do was tie off the left tube. The doctor
> rather incautiously did not check on this while he had her cut open, possibly
> through a fear of being sued for doing exploratory surgery even a short distance
> away from the specific place for which he had received authority from the patient
> (a fear which it now seems would have been well justified). When she fell
> pregnanta few years later she could have had an abortion (any religious objection
> to abortion would surely also imply objection to tubal ligation as a means of
> contraception) but instead she chose to proceed with the pregnancy. Then she heard
> about lawyers. She is making the usual noises about how she loves her son very
> much (but not enough to pay for him like the rest of us have to do for our
> children, planned or not) and how she didn't do it for the money but just to send
> a message to doctors (so why did she do it at all or why doesn't she give the
> money to charity?). One result of this incident is that doctors are already
> talking about refusing to perform elective surgery where there is a risk of
> failure, because the insurance protection against fatuous claims like this is too
> expensive.
>
> There was a very nice photograph in the paper showing the mother and her son
> smiling broadly. She is smiling because she has just won the lottery. He is
> smiling because he doesn't understand what is going on.
>

> The Millenium Project
> http://www.ratbags.com/rsoles/

The usual legal bull****. Take any topic in the news anymore, everyone
is trying to avoid responsibility.

Not a lot different than the forced child support most NCP's face. They
are forced to be a "visiting" parent and than ordered by law to pay for
the priveledge.

Whatever happened to common sense. The one thing that ****es me off more
than anything else is stupidity. While igonarance is failure or
inability to learn, stupidity is the willingness to do it wrong even
when you know better.

WTF

~Dani

glow
July 21st 03, 06:44 AM
"dani" > wrote in message
rthlink.net...
> [...]
> >
> > There was a very nice photograph in the paper showing the mother and her
son
> > smiling broadly. She is smiling because she has just won the lottery. He
is
> > smiling because he doesn't understand what is going on.
> >

> > The Millenium Project
> > http://www.ratbags.com/rsoles/
> >
> The usual legal bull****. Take any topic in the news anymore, everyone
> is trying to avoid responsibility.
>
> Not a lot different than the forced child support most NCP's face. They
> are forced to be a "visiting" parent and than ordered by law to pay for
> the priveledge.
>
> Whatever happened to common sense. The one thing that ****es me off more
> than anything else is stupidity. While igonarance is failure or
> inability to learn, stupidity is the willingness to do it wrong even

I agree entirely dani.

Glow

Mage
July 21st 03, 11:44 PM

> The usual legal bull****. Take any topic in the news anymore, everyone
> is trying to avoid responsibility.

It certainly seems that way....

> Not a lot different than the forced child support most NCP's face. They
> are forced to be a "visiting" parent and than ordered by law to pay for
> the priveledge.
>
> Whatever happened to common sense. The one thing that ****es me off more
> than anything else is stupidity. While igonarance is failure or
> inability to learn, stupidity is the willingness to do it wrong even
> when you know better.
>
> WTF

WTF!

> ~Dani

Society
July 22nd 03, 01:52 AM
Well, where's the usual suspects who
can always be counted on to cluck
"If the doctor didn't want to pay child support,
he should have been wearing a condom?"

--
All excuses for feminism depend on
blaming the man and excusing the woman,