PDA

View Full Version : Advance Child Tax Credit check question

Tracy
August 1st 03, 03:06 AM
My boyfriend, who has custody of his children & is not receiving any child
support, is about to receive an check from the IRS for the advance child tax
credit. Here's the issue... They filed with the status of married filing
jointly - since at the time my boy friend was clueless to his ex's cheating
ways and what was about to hit him. She did some baby sitting last year,
but nothing really grand - and it really hurt in terms of taxes than helped.
So the majority of their income came from him. The advance payment check is
on its way, but in both his & hers names. So he needs her to sign the
check.

Question: What if she refuses to sign unless she receives part of the
money? What can he do? If you were in his situation, would you share in
the check? If so, how much?

He plans on using the check to purchase school clothing & supplies for the
kids. He strongly feels that since she is not paying any child support, nor
does she take the kids like she is suppose to, she should not receive
anything.

Thanks in advance.
Tracy
~~~~~~~
http://www.hornschuch.net/tracy/
"You can't solve problems with the same
type of thinking that created them."
Albert Einstein

*** spamguard in place! to email me: tracy at hornschuch dot net ***

Virginia
August 1st 03, 03:19 AM
If it comes in both names he can return it to the IRS and wait till he
fills taxes in the spring to get it without her name on the check.

This highlights a flaw I had not thought of in regards to advancing
these tax credits, How is the IRS to know how (under what status) one
will file their taxes before they have done so?

Tracy wrote:
> My boyfriend, who has custody of his children & is not receiving any child
> support, is about to receive an check from the IRS for the advance child tax
> credit. Here's the issue... They filed with the status of married filing
> jointly - since at the time my boy friend was clueless to his ex's cheating
> ways and what was about to hit him. She did some baby sitting last year,
> but nothing really grand - and it really hurt in terms of taxes than helped.
> So the majority of their income came from him. The advance payment check is
> on its way, but in both his & hers names. So he needs her to sign the
> check.
>
> Question: What if she refuses to sign unless she receives part of the
> money? What can he do? If you were in his situation, would you share in
> the check? If so, how much?
>
> He plans on using the check to purchase school clothing & supplies for the
> kids. He strongly feels that since she is not paying any child support, nor
> does she take the kids like she is suppose to, she should not receive
> anything.
>

> Thanks in advance.
> Tracy
> ~~~~~~~
> http://www.hornschuch.net/tracy/
> "You can't solve problems with the same
> type of thinking that created them."
> Albert Einstein
>
> *** spamguard in place! to email me: tracy at hornschuch dot net ***

Bob Whiteside
August 1st 03, 03:26 AM
"Tracy" > wrote in message
> My boyfriend, who has custody of his children & is not receiving any child
> support, is about to receive an check from the IRS for the advance child
tax
> credit. Here's the issue... They filed with the status of married
filing
> jointly - since at the time my boy friend was clueless to his ex's
cheating
> ways and what was about to hit him. She did some baby sitting last year,
> but nothing really grand - and it really hurt in terms of taxes than
helped.
> So the majority of their income came from him. The advance payment check
is
> on its way, but in both his & hers names. So he needs her to sign the
> check.
>
> Question: What if she refuses to sign unless she receives part of the
> money? What can he do? If you were in his situation, would you share in
> the check? If so, how much?
>
> He plans on using the check to purchase school clothing & supplies for the
> kids. He strongly feels that since she is not paying any child support,
nor
> does she take the kids like she is suppose to, she should not receive
> anything.

He can use a trick my ex pulled on me once that cost me a lot of money. Get
her to endorse the check in exchange for him giving her a personal check to
cover her half. Then put a stop payment on the check he writes to her.
That way he gets 100% of the check amount and it only costs him the stop
payment fee.

Another option is to have you, or another person with female handwriting,
endorse the check as if you are the co-payee. The ex will never know what
happened and the fact they had joint checking accounts previously will make
this okay.

The Oregon courts will back up either fraudulent act. Just cite my case.

Tracy
August 1st 03, 04:55 AM
"Virginia" > wrote in message
> If it comes in both names he can return it to the IRS and wait till he
> fills taxes in the spring to get it without her name on the check.

Can someone do this? But he needs the money now - as school is approaching
and he needs money to purchase school clothes, etc.

> This highlights a flaw I had not thought of in regards to advancing
> these tax credits, How is the IRS to know how (under what status) one
> will file their taxes before they have done so?

They are basing the amount on last years tax return. They've done this
before.

Tracy
~~~~~~~
http://www.hornschuch.net/tracy/
"You can't solve problems with the same
type of thinking that created them."
Albert Einstein

*** spamguard in place! to email me: tracy at hornschuch dot net ***

Tracy
August 1st 03, 04:57 AM
"Bob Whiteside" > wrote in message
arthlink.net...

> "Tracy" > wrote in message
> > My boyfriend, who has custody of his children & is not receiving any
child
> > support, is about to receive an check from the IRS for the advance child
> tax
> > credit. Here's the issue... They filed with the status of married
> filing
> > jointly - since at the time my boy friend was clueless to his ex's
> cheating
> > ways and what was about to hit him. She did some baby sitting last
year,
> > but nothing really grand - and it really hurt in terms of taxes than
> helped.
> > So the majority of their income came from him. The advance payment
check
> is
> > on its way, but in both his & hers names. So he needs her to sign the
> > check.
> >
> > Question: What if she refuses to sign unless she receives part of the
> > money? What can he do? If you were in his situation, would you share
in
> > the check? If so, how much?
> >
> > He plans on using the check to purchase school clothing & supplies for
the
> > kids. He strongly feels that since she is not paying any child support,
> nor
> > does she take the kids like she is suppose to, she should not receive
> > anything.
>
> He can use a trick my ex pulled on me once that cost me a lot of money.
Get
> her to endorse the check in exchange for him giving her a personal check
> cover her half. Then put a stop payment on the check he writes to her.
> That way he gets 100% of the check amount and it only costs him the stop
> payment fee.
>
> Another option is to have you, or another person with female handwriting,
> endorse the check as if you are the co-payee. The ex will never know what
> happened and the fact they had joint checking accounts previously will
make
> this okay.
>
> The Oregon courts will back up either fraudulent act. Just cite my case.

I choose not to break the law, nor would my boy friend ever expect me to. I
wanted to know what others would do if they found themselves in that
situation. If you are a NCP, and you didn't pay *any* child support - would
you feel it was okay if the CP kept 100% of the money?

Tracy
~~~~~~~
http://www.hornschuch.net/tracy/
"You can't solve problems with the same
type of thinking that created them."
Albert Einstein

*** spamguard in place! to email me: tracy at hornschuch dot net ***

teachrmama
August 1st 03, 06:28 AM
"Tracy" > wrote in message
> "Bob Whiteside" > wrote in message
> arthlink.net...
> >
> > "Tracy" > wrote in message
> > > My boyfriend, who has custody of his children & is not receiving any
> child
> > > support, is about to receive an check from the IRS for the advance
child
> > tax
> > > credit. Here's the issue... They filed with the status of married
> > filing
> > > jointly - since at the time my boy friend was clueless to his ex's
> > cheating
> > > ways and what was about to hit him. She did some baby sitting last
> year,
> > > but nothing really grand - and it really hurt in terms of taxes than
> > helped.
> > > So the majority of their income came from him. The advance payment
> check
> > is
> > > on its way, but in both his & hers names. So he needs her to sign the
> > > check.
> > >
> > > Question: What if she refuses to sign unless she receives part of the
> > > money? What can he do? If you were in his situation, would you share
> in
> > > the check? If so, how much?
> > >
> > > He plans on using the check to purchase school clothing & supplies for
> the
> > > kids. He strongly feels that since she is not paying any child
support,
> > nor
> > > does she take the kids like she is suppose to, she should not receive
> > > anything.
> >
> > He can use a trick my ex pulled on me once that cost me a lot of money.
> Get
> > her to endorse the check in exchange for him giving her a personal check
> > cover her half. Then put a stop payment on the check he writes to her.
> > That way he gets 100% of the check amount and it only costs him the stop
> > payment fee.
> >
> > Another option is to have you, or another person with female
handwriting,
> > endorse the check as if you are the co-payee. The ex will never know
what
> > happened and the fact they had joint checking accounts previously will
> make
> > this okay.
> >
> > The Oregon courts will back up either fraudulent act. Just cite my
case.

> I choose not to break the law, nor would my boy friend ever expect me to.
> wanted to know what others would do if they found themselves in that
> situation. If you are a NCP, and you didn't pay *any* child support -
would
> you feel it was okay if the CP kept 100% of the money?

I, myself, would certainly feel that way. But there are other things this
woman chose to do that I would never consider, so I doubt if her reasoning
would follow mine on this issue, either. All he can do is ask--the worst
she can do is say no. If she won't give it all up, perhaps she would
consider a more equitable split than 50/50. Maybe 80/20.

Tracy
August 1st 03, 06:42 AM
"teachrmama" > wrote in message

> "Tracy" > wrote in message
> > "Bob Whiteside" > wrote in message
> > arthlink.net...
> > >
> > > "Tracy" > wrote in message
> > child
> child
> > > tax
> > > filing
> > > cheating
> > year,
> > > helped.
> > check
> > > is

> > in

> > the
> support,
> > > nor
> > >
> > > He can use a trick my ex pulled on me once that cost me a lot of
money.
> > Get
> > > her to endorse the check in exchange for him giving her a personal
check
> > > cover her half. Then put a stop payment on the check he writes to
her.
> > > That way he gets 100% of the check amount and it only costs him the
stop
> > > payment fee.
> > >
> > > Another option is to have you, or another person with female
> handwriting,
> > > endorse the check as if you are the co-payee. The ex will never know
> what
> > > happened and the fact they had joint checking accounts previously will
> > make
> > > this okay.
> > >
> > > The Oregon courts will back up either fraudulent act. Just cite my
> case.
> >

> > I choose not to break the law, nor would my boy friend ever expect me
to.
> > wanted to know what others would do if they found themselves in that
> > situation. If you are a NCP, and you didn't pay *any* child support -
> would
> > you feel it was okay if the CP kept 100% of the money?
>
> I, myself, would certainly feel that way. But there are other things this
> woman chose to do that I would never consider, so I doubt if her reasoning
> would follow mine on this issue, either. All he can do is ask--the worst
> she can do is say no. If she won't give it all up, perhaps she would
> consider a more equitable split than 50/50. Maybe 80/20.

That's what I told him. Offer to give her some, but nothing close to 50%.
He doesn't want to give her anything, and he isn't looking forward to asking
for that signature. I have some time to talk to him about this more...
perhaps by the time he crosses that bridge there won't be an issue because
he's more willing to negotiate. ;-)

Tracy
~~~~~~~
http://www.hornschuch.net/tracy/
"You can't solve problems with the same
type of thinking that created them."
Albert Einstein

*** spamguard in place! to email me: tracy at hornschuch dot net ***

Mel Gamble
August 1st 03, 10:00 AM
Why is he not receiving CS? If by mutual agreement, he could tell her that
continuance of the agreement is contingent on her signing that check.

>My boyfriend, who has custody of his children & is not receiving any child
>support, is about to receive an check from the IRS for the advance child tax
>credit. Here's the issue... They filed with the status of married filing
>jointly - since at the time my boy friend was clueless to his ex's cheating
>ways and what was about to hit him. She did some baby sitting last year,
>but nothing really grand - and it really hurt in terms of taxes than helped.
>So the majority of their income came from him. The advance payment check is
>on its way, but in both his & hers names. So he needs her to sign the
>check.
>
>Question: What if she refuses to sign unless she receives part of the
>money? What can he do? If you were in his situation, would you share in
>the check? If so, how much?

NO WAY. That check is supposedly for costs associated with raising the kid(s)
THIS year. If he's already had them the majority of the time and will continue
to do so for the rest of the year, those are HIS costs. Since she is paying
nothing to offset HIS costs for the kids, she'd have to have them nearly half
the time to justify no CS AND getting part of that check...

>He plans on using the check to purchase school clothing & supplies for the
>kids. He strongly feels that since she is not paying any child support, nor
>does she take the kids like she is suppose to, she should not receive
>anything.

He is correct.

Mel Gamble

>Thanks in advance.
>Tracy

Mel Gamble
August 1st 03, 10:13 AM
>"Virginia" > wrote in message
>> If it comes in both names he can return it to the IRS and wait till he
>> fills taxes in the spring to get it without her name on the check.
>
>Can someone do this?

*IF* there was a way to actually return the check, it would seem so. If
he/they HADN'T received the check, he would be claiming the credit when he
files his taxes for this year (based on the financial details you've provided).
The problem is in returning the check and getting an acknowledgement that it
was received by IRS.

This probably isn't as much of a problem as it might seem, due to the fact that
there will probably be MILLIONS of returns next year which will not acknowledge
the receipt of the credit in advance...it may well be an "error" that IRS will
turn a blind eye to. In which case he could just destroy the check (to keep
his conscience clear) and file based on not having received it.

>But he needs the money now - as school is approaching
>and he needs money to purchase school clothes, etc.

So tell her she's going to be paying at minimum $50/month through the state if
she doesn't sign off....

*******************************
>They've done this before.
*******************************
???????????

Mel Gamble

>Tracy

Mel Gamble
August 1st 03, 10:15 AM
Doesn't seem like that's the question you're asking here, Tracy...

>"Bob Whiteside" > wrote in message
arthlink.net...

>> "Tracy" > wrote in message
>> > My boyfriend, who has custody of his children & is not receiving any
>child
>> > support, is about to receive an check from the IRS for the advance child
>> tax
>> > credit. Here's the issue... They filed with the status of married
>> filing
>> > jointly - since at the time my boy friend was clueless to his ex's
>> cheating
>> > ways and what was about to hit him. She did some baby sitting last
>year,
>> > but nothing really grand - and it really hurt in terms of taxes than
>> helped.
>> > So the majority of their income came from him. The advance payment
>check
>> is
>> > on its way, but in both his & hers names. So he needs her to sign the
>> > check.
>> >
>> > Question: What if she refuses to sign unless she receives part of the
>> > money? What can he do? If you were in his situation, would you share
>in
>> > the check? If so, how much?
>> >
>> > He plans on using the check to purchase school clothing & supplies for
>the
>> > kids. He strongly feels that since she is not paying any child support,
>> nor
>> > does she take the kids like she is suppose to, she should not receive
>> > anything.
>>
>> He can use a trick my ex pulled on me once that cost me a lot of money.
>Get
>> her to endorse the check in exchange for him giving her a personal check
>> cover her half. Then put a stop payment on the check he writes to her.
>> That way he gets 100% of the check amount and it only costs him the stop
>> payment fee.
>>
>> Another option is to have you, or another person with female handwriting,
>> endorse the check as if you are the co-payee. The ex will never know what
>> happened and the fact they had joint checking accounts previously will
>make
>> this okay.
>>
>> The Oregon courts will back up either fraudulent act. Just cite my case.
>

>I choose not to break the law, nor would my boy friend ever expect me to. I
>wanted to know what others would do if they found themselves in that
>situation. If you are a NCP, and you didn't pay *any* child support - would
>you feel it was okay if the CP kept 100% of the money?

....seems more like you're asking if it's OK for the CP to keep the money
WITHOUT the NCP's approval, and in this case it would seem justified.

Mel Gamble

>Tracy

Moon Shyne
August 1st 03, 10:36 AM
"Bob Whiteside" > wrote in message
arthlink.net...

> "Tracy" > wrote in message
> > My boyfriend, who has custody of his children & is not receiving any child
> > support, is about to receive an check from the IRS for the advance child
> tax
> > credit. Here's the issue... They filed with the status of married
> filing
> > jointly - since at the time my boy friend was clueless to his ex's
> cheating
> > ways and what was about to hit him. She did some baby sitting last year,
> > but nothing really grand - and it really hurt in terms of taxes than
> helped.
> > So the majority of their income came from him. The advance payment check
> is
> > on its way, but in both his & hers names. So he needs her to sign the
> > check.
> >
> > Question: What if she refuses to sign unless she receives part of the
> > money? What can he do? If you were in his situation, would you share in
> > the check? If so, how much?
> >
> > He plans on using the check to purchase school clothing & supplies for the
> > kids. He strongly feels that since she is not paying any child support,
> nor
> > does she take the kids like she is suppose to, she should not receive
> > anything.
>
> He can use a trick my ex pulled on me once that cost me a lot of money. Get
> her to endorse the check in exchange for him giving her a personal check to
> cover her half. Then put a stop payment on the check he writes to her.
> That way he gets 100% of the check amount and it only costs him the stop
> payment fee.

There are statutes in most states prohibiting writing bad checks - and writing
someone a check and then immediately putting a stop payment on it is considered
writing a bad check. Please check your state's statutes before pulling a
'trick' like this.

> Another option is to have you, or another person with female handwriting,
> endorse the check as if you are the co-payee. The ex will never know what
> happened and the fact they had joint checking accounts previously will make
> this okay.

That would be forgery, also considered illegal.

> The Oregon courts will back up either fraudulent act. Just cite my case.

Somehow, I doubt any state will back up an act that is contrary to that state's
laws.

Steve
August 1st 03, 02:11 PM
"Tracy" > wrote in message news:<wWjWa.23389$cF.10169@rwcrnsc53>...
> My boyfriend, who has custody of his children & is not receiving any child
> support, is about to receive an check from the IRS for the advance child tax
> credit. Here's the issue... They filed with the status of married filing
> jointly - since at the time my boy friend was clueless to his ex's cheating
> ways and what was about to hit him. She did some baby sitting last year,
> but nothing really grand - and it really hurt in terms of taxes than helped.
> So the majority of their income came from him. The advance payment check is
> on its way, but in both his & hers names. So he needs her to sign the
> check.
>
> Question: What if she refuses to sign unless she receives part of the
> money? What can he do? If you were in his situation, would you share in
> the check? If so, how much?

So, she isn't paying child support? If not, I would take the check to
her and say "Please sign this so that I can get school supplies for
the children." If she refuses or asks for half/some of the money
first, I would then fold the check up, put it in my pocket and tell
her that signing the check cost her $0. However, once I start
petitioning for child support, it will cost her $400 (or more) *each
month*. Unless she is really hardcore, she'll probably sign it right
then and there. And if she DOES refuse, I'd go through with my
threat.

> He plans on using the check to purchase school clothing & supplies for the
> kids. He strongly feels that since she is not paying any child support, nor
> does she take the kids like she is suppose to, she should not receive
> anything.
>

> Thanks in advance.
> Tracy
> ~~~~~~~
> http://www.hornschuch.net/tracy/
> "You can't solve problems with the same
> type of thinking that created them."
> Albert Einstein
>
> *** spamguard in place! to email me: tracy at hornschuch dot net ***

Tracy
August 1st 03, 02:57 PM
"Mel Gamble" > wrote in message
> Why is he not receiving CS? If by mutual agreement, he could tell her
that
> continuance of the agreement is contingent on her signing that check.

He was being nice. She wasn't working at the time of their divorce. So it
read in the paperwork child support is waived based on her unemployed
status, but should be established once employment begins. Since then she
has started working, but he is trying to be nice to her. (more)

> >My boyfriend, who has custody of his children & is not receiving any
child
> >support, is about to receive an check from the IRS for the advance child
tax
> >credit. Here's the issue... They filed with the status of married
filing
> >jointly - since at the time my boy friend was clueless to his ex's
cheating
> >ways and what was about to hit him. She did some baby sitting last year,
> >but nothing really grand - and it really hurt in terms of taxes than
helped.
> >So the majority of their income came from him. The advance payment check
is
> >on its way, but in both his & hers names. So he needs her to sign the
> >check.
> >
> >Question: What if she refuses to sign unless she receives part of the
> >money? What can he do? If you were in his situation, would you share in
> >the check? If so, how much?
>
> NO WAY. That check is supposedly for costs associated with raising the
kid(s)
> THIS year. If he's already had them the majority of the time and will
continue
> to do so for the rest of the year, those are HIS costs. Since she is
paying
> nothing to offset HIS costs for the kids, she'd have to have them nearly
half
> the time to justify no CS AND getting part of that check...

That is how he views it too.

On top of that, she has many times in the past few months thrown it in his
face that she could be receiving child support if she had custody of the
kids. In other words she uses the kids as a threat against him.

Last night him and I spoke on the phone for about an hour. He was talking
to her uncle tonight concerning the kids' mother, and her lack of being
involved (etc). Once again - she is suppose to have them next weekend (not
this weekend), but she has not contacted him about the weekend. Her aunt
feels my boyfriend should contact her and inquire about the plans. I happen
to agree with the aunt. Anyways - he's had at least one of the kids 100% of
the time since she left. It isn't that he doesn't want his kids around, but
he is finding that being a single parent is not easy. He's a heavy
equipment operator. Commutes to work 5-7 days per week. Right now he has
worked 12 days in a row, and will work every day until next week. He puts
in 12-14 hour days. He comes home to a mess. He spends time picking it up.
He cooks. He cleans. Etc... It has been really hard on him. So he is
really upset with his ex-wife for not helping out at all. Not being there
for those kids. It isn't the money, but the time. How does this relate to
the check? It goes back to your paragraph above. "If he's already had them
the majority of the time..." This is the type of man who would share that
check (50/50) if she was being a mother to those kids... period.

> >He plans on using the check to purchase school clothing & supplies for
the
> >kids. He strongly feels that since she is not paying any child support,
nor
> >does she take the kids like she is suppose to, she should not receive
> >anything.
>
> He is correct.

I'm glad you agree.

Tracy
~~~~~~~
http://www.hornschuch.net/tracy/
"You can't solve problems with the same
type of thinking that created them."
Albert Einstein

*** spamguard in place! to email me: tracy at hornschuch dot net ***

Tracy
August 1st 03, 04:28 PM
"Steve" > wrote in message
om...
> "Tracy" > wrote in message
> > My boyfriend, who has custody of his children & is not receiving any
child
> > support, is about to receive an check from the IRS for the advance child
tax
> > credit. Here's the issue... They filed with the status of married
filing
> > jointly - since at the time my boy friend was clueless to his ex's
cheating
> > ways and what was about to hit him. She did some baby sitting last
year,
> > but nothing really grand - and it really hurt in terms of taxes than
helped.
> > So the majority of their income came from him. The advance payment
check is
> > on its way, but in both his & hers names. So he needs her to sign the
> > check.
> >
> > Question: What if she refuses to sign unless she receives part of the
> > money? What can he do? If you were in his situation, would you share
in
> > the check? If so, how much?
> >

> So, she isn't paying child support? If not, I would take the check to
> her and say "Please sign this so that I can get school supplies for
> the children." If she refuses or asks for half/some of the money
> first, I would then fold the check up, put it in my pocket and tell
> her that signing the check cost her $0. However, once I start
> petitioning for child support, it will cost her $400 (or more) *each
> month*. Unless she is really hardcore, she'll probably sign it right
> then and there. And if she DOES refuse, I'd go through with my
> threat.

He couldn't get $400/month from her. She'd end up with an order against her
for the minimum of $50/month. I don't know if he would go after her for
support since he has very strong morals concerning money. He doesn't
believe in living off of someone else's income, and he'd view receiving
child support as a way of living off of someone else. Likewise, if the
situation was reversed (she had the kids) he would hate to pay child support
based on what the state demands. Instead he's the type to purchase
everything, and anything, those kids would need. He believes in supporting
his own.

His take on this is that it was primarily his income they filed their taxes
on last year. It has been 100% of his income alone that has supported the
kids since late January of this year. Therefore, that check belongs to his
kids - not him - not his ex - but the kids.

Thanks for your opinion and suggestion. I feel he has a strong argument
against her if she tries to pull some sort of BS and starts demanding
something.

She even told him that he was going to start paying her to take the kids if
he moved out near his mother. ;-)

Tracy
~~~~~~~
http://www.hornschuch.net/tracy/
"You can't solve problems with the same
type of thinking that created them."
Albert Einstein

*** spamguard in place! to email me: tracy at hornschuch dot net ***

gini52
August 1st 03, 05:14 PM
"Tracy" > wrote in message
et...
> "Steve" > wrote in message
> om...
> > "Tracy" > wrote in message
> > > My boyfriend, who has custody of his children & is not receiving any
> child
> > > support, is about to receive an check from the IRS for the advance
child
> tax
> > > credit. Here's the issue... They filed with the status of married
> filing
> > > jointly - since at the time my boy friend was clueless to his ex's
> cheating
> > > ways and what was about to hit him. She did some baby sitting last
> year,
> > > but nothing really grand - and it really hurt in terms of taxes than
> helped.
> > > So the majority of their income came from him. The advance payment
> check is
> > > on its way, but in both his & hers names. So he needs her to sign the
> > > check.
===
Tracy, Here's a link to the IRS website w/info on the credit. It does
address your BF's situation
somewhere but I read it a while back and don't recall the specifics. I also
did a Google search a while back
to find out where we stand because I filed for an extension for 2002. There
were threads from accountants
that also discussed your BF's situation. Good luck to all.

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=109816,00.html

===
===

Bob Whiteside
August 1st 03, 07:37 PM
"Moon Shyne" > wrote in message

> "Bob Whiteside" > wrote in message
> arthlink.net...
> >
> > "Tracy" > wrote in message
> > > My boyfriend, who has custody of his children & is not receiving any
child
> > > support, is about to receive an check from the IRS for the advance
child
> > tax
> > > credit. Here's the issue... They filed with the status of married
> > filing
> > > jointly - since at the time my boy friend was clueless to his ex's
> > cheating
> > > ways and what was about to hit him. She did some baby sitting last
year,
> > > but nothing really grand - and it really hurt in terms of taxes than
> > helped.
> > > So the majority of their income came from him. The advance payment
check
> > is
> > > on its way, but in both his & hers names. So he needs her to sign the
> > > check.
> > >
> > > Question: What if she refuses to sign unless she receives part of the
> > > money? What can he do? If you were in his situation, would you share
in
> > > the check? If so, how much?
> > >
> > > He plans on using the check to purchase school clothing & supplies for
the
> > > kids. He strongly feels that since she is not paying any child
support,
> > nor
> > > does she take the kids like she is suppose to, she should not receive
> > > anything.
> >
> > He can use a trick my ex pulled on me once that cost me a lot of money.
Get
> > her to endorse the check in exchange for him giving her a personal check
> > cover her half. Then put a stop payment on the check he writes to her.
> > That way he gets 100% of the check amount and it only costs him the stop
> > payment fee.
>
> There are statutes in most states prohibiting writing bad checks - and
writing
> someone a check and then immediately putting a stop payment on it is
considered
> writing a bad check. Please check your state's statutes before pulling a
> 'trick' like this.

The court ruled she was justified to pull this stunt because she needed the
money. That's a legal precedent to justify commiting fraud - a class 3
felony in my state.

> > Another option is to have you, or another person with female
handwriting,
> > endorse the check as if you are the co-payee. The ex will never know
what
> > happened and the fact they had joint checking accounts previously will
make
> > this okay.
>
> That would be forgery, also considered illegal.

Not in Oregon family law court. My ex went so far as to endorse checks made
out to me and put them in her checking account. The court would not even
rule that she should stop signing my name to any documents. That's a legal
precedent that forging another persons signature is okay as long as you have
been married.

> > The Oregon courts will back up either fraudulent act. Just cite my
case.

> Somehow, I doubt any state will back up an act that is contrary to that
state's
> laws.

Try a family court judge where state laws mean nothing.

gini52
August 1st 03, 09:11 PM
"frazil" > wrote in message

> Tracy > wrote in message
> > "Virginia" > wrote in message
> > > If it comes in both names he can return it to the IRS and wait till he
> > > fills taxes in the spring to get it without her name on the check.
> >
> > Can someone do this? But he needs the money now - as school is
> approaching
> > and he needs money to purchase school clothes, etc.
> >

> > > This highlights a flaw I had not thought of in regards to advancing
> > > these tax credits, How is the IRS to know how (under what status) one
> > > will file their taxes before they have done so?
> >

> > They are basing the amount on last years tax return. They've done this
> > before.
>
> It is based on last years tax return because that is what was changed,
> namely the dependent tax credit was retroactively increased for tax year
> 2002 from $600 to $1000. For tax year 2003 the credit will be $1000,
unless
> they make another change.
==
Not according to the IRS. The change is in year 2003 and when 2003 taxes are
filed,
the advance must be deducted from the 1000. allowance.
==
==

> > Tracy
> > ~~~~~~~
> > http://www.hornschuch.net/tracy/
> > "You can't solve problems with the same
> > type of thinking that created them."
> > Albert Einstein
> >
> > *** spamguard in place! to email me: tracy at hornschuch dot net ***

frazil
August 1st 03, 09:22 PM
Virginia > wrote in message
> If it comes in both names he can return it to the IRS and wait till he
> fills taxes in the spring to get it without her name on the check.

Difficult at best, because the IRS records will show that the check was
issued.

> This highlights a flaw I had not thought of in regards to advancing
> these tax credits, How is the IRS to know how (under what status) one
> will file their taxes before they have done so?

It is not an advance on next year's taxes. The $400 credit is a result of
retroactively advancing the increase in the dependent tax credit from $600
to $1000 for tax year 2002, as opposed to the originally scheduled increase
in tax year 2003. It has nothing to do with how he files his taxes next
year.

> Tracy wrote:
> > My boyfriend, who has custody of his children & is not receiving any
child
> > support, is about to receive an check from the IRS for the advance child
tax
> > credit. Here's the issue... They filed with the status of married
filing
> > jointly - since at the time my boy friend was clueless to his ex's
cheating
> > ways and what was about to hit him. She did some baby sitting last
year,
> > but nothing really grand - and it really hurt in terms of taxes than
helped.
> > So the majority of their income came from him. The advance payment
check is
> > on its way, but in both his & hers names. So he needs her to sign the
> > check.
> >
> > Question: What if she refuses to sign unless she receives part of the
> > money? What can he do? If you were in his situation, would you share
in
> > the check? If so, how much?
> >
> > He plans on using the check to purchase school clothing & supplies for
the
> > kids. He strongly feels that since she is not paying any child support,
nor
> > does she take the kids like she is suppose to, she should not receive
> > anything.
> >

> > Thanks in advance.
> > Tracy
> > ~~~~~~~
> > http://www.hornschuch.net/tracy/
> > "You can't solve problems with the same
> > type of thinking that created them."
> > Albert Einstein
> >
> > *** spamguard in place! to email me: tracy at hornschuch dot net ***

frazil
August 1st 03, 09:30 PM
Tracy > wrote in message
> "Virginia" > wrote in message
> > If it comes in both names he can return it to the IRS and wait till he
> > fills taxes in the spring to get it without her name on the check.
>
> Can someone do this? But he needs the money now - as school is
approaching
> and he needs money to purchase school clothes, etc.
>

> > This highlights a flaw I had not thought of in regards to advancing
> > these tax credits, How is the IRS to know how (under what status) one
> > will file their taxes before they have done so?
>

> They are basing the amount on last years tax return. They've done this
> before.

It is based on last years tax return because that is what was changed,
namely the dependent tax credit was retroactively increased for tax year
2002 from $600 to $1000. For tax year 2003 the credit will be $1000, unless
they make another change.

> Tracy
> ~~~~~~~
> http://www.hornschuch.net/tracy/
> "You can't solve problems with the same
> type of thinking that created them."
> Albert Einstein
>
> *** spamguard in place! to email me: tracy at hornschuch dot net ***

Tiffany
August 1st 03, 09:35 PM
frazil > wrote in message

> Virginia > wrote in message
> > If it comes in both names he can return it to the IRS and wait till he
> > fills taxes in the spring to get it without her name on the check.
>
> Difficult at best, because the IRS records will show that the check was
> issued.
>

> > This highlights a flaw I had not thought of in regards to advancing
> > these tax credits, How is the IRS to know how (under what status) one
> > will file their taxes before they have done so?
>
> It is not an advance on next year's taxes. The $400 credit is a result of
> retroactively advancing the increase in the dependent tax credit from $600
> to $1000 for tax year 2002, as opposed to the originally scheduled
increase
> in tax year 2003. It has nothing to do with how he files his taxes next
> year.

So please excuse my lack of knowledge of this but does that mean everyone
who has a dependent is going to get a check or just folks in certain tax
brackets? I have honestly heard nothing of this (beside brief tid-bits on
the news that I didn't pay attention to) so was just curious.

> > Tracy wrote:
> > > My boyfriend, who has custody of his children & is not receiving any
> child
> > > support, is about to receive an check from the IRS for the advance
child
> tax
> > > credit. Here's the issue... They filed with the status of married
> filing
> > > jointly - since at the time my boy friend was clueless to his ex's
> cheating
> > > ways and what was about to hit him. She did some baby sitting last
> year,
> > > but nothing really grand - and it really hurt in terms of taxes than
> helped.
> > > So the majority of their income came from him. The advance payment
> check is
> > > on its way, but in both his & hers names. So he needs her to sign the
> > > check.
> > >
> > > Question: What if she refuses to sign unless she receives part of the
> > > money? What can he do? If you were in his situation, would you share
> in
> > > the check? If so, how much?
> > >
> > > He plans on using the check to purchase school clothing & supplies for
> the
> > > kids. He strongly feels that since she is not paying any child
support,
> nor
> > > does she take the kids like she is suppose to, she should not receive
> > > anything.
> > >

> > > Thanks in advance.
> > > Tracy
> > > ~~~~~~~
> > > http://www.hornschuch.net/tracy/
> > > "You can't solve problems with the same
> > > type of thinking that created them."
> > > Albert Einstein
> > >
> > > *** spamguard in place! to email me: tracy at hornschuch dot net ***

frazil
August 1st 03, 09:41 PM
Tracy > wrote in message
> "Bob Whiteside" > wrote in message
> arthlink.net...
> >
> > "Tracy" > wrote in message
> > > My boyfriend, who has custody of his children & is not receiving any
> child
> > > support, is about to receive an check from the IRS for the advance
child
> > tax
> > > credit. Here's the issue... They filed with the status of married
> > filing
> > > jointly - since at the time my boy friend was clueless to his ex's
> > cheating
> > > ways and what was about to hit him. She did some baby sitting last
> year,
> > > but nothing really grand - and it really hurt in terms of taxes than
> > helped.
> > > So the majority of their income came from him. The advance payment
> check
> > is
> > > on its way, but in both his & hers names. So he needs her to sign the
> > > check.
> > >
> > > Question: What if she refuses to sign unless she receives part of the
> > > money? What can he do? If you were in his situation, would you share
> in
> > > the check? If so, how much?
> > >
> > > He plans on using the check to purchase school clothing & supplies for
> the
> > > kids. He strongly feels that since she is not paying any child
support,
> > nor
> > > does she take the kids like she is suppose to, she should not receive
> > > anything.
> >
> > He can use a trick my ex pulled on me once that cost me a lot of money.
> Get
> > her to endorse the check in exchange for him giving her a personal check
> > cover her half. Then put a stop payment on the check he writes to her.
> > That way he gets 100% of the check amount and it only costs him the stop
> > payment fee.
> >
> > Another option is to have you, or another person with female
handwriting,
> > endorse the check as if you are the co-payee. The ex will never know
what
> > happened and the fact they had joint checking accounts previously will
> make
> > this okay.
> >
> > The Oregon courts will back up either fraudulent act. Just cite my
case.

> I choose not to break the law, nor would my boy friend ever expect me to.
> wanted to know what others would do if they found themselves in that
> situation. If you are a NCP, and you didn't pay *any* child support -
would
> you feel it was okay if the CP kept 100% of the money?

Again, the law doesn't give a rat's ass how someone feels. Simply put, The
$400 check is due to a retroactive change in tax laws for tax year 2002.
They filed a joint return for tax year 2002. Therefore, she is entitled to
half of the $400, unless a court ordered that he is entitled to claim the
child on his 2002 tax return. What happens in tax year 2003, is irrelevent.

> Tracy
> ~~~~~~~
> http://www.hornschuch.net/tracy/
> "You can't solve problems with the same
> type of thinking that created them."
> Albert Einstein
>
> *** spamguard in place! to email me: tracy at hornschuch dot net ***

The DaveŠ
August 1st 03, 09:45 PM
"Tracy" wrote
> > The sentiment is nice, but it's his money. Kids have no money other
than
> > what they earn and what others (parents, etc.) choose to give them.
>
> You are being too technical. ;-)

Yes, I am being technical. I think I'm just "in a mood" today.

> Perhaps I should have stated it that he believes the check should be spent
> on the kids - since the credit is a "child credit". In other words, the
> only reason you are receiving it is due to the fact that you are
supporting
> at least one child. That money will cover school clothing, supplies, and
> little bit more. He has no plans on using it on himself or his toys.

Seriously, I have no problem with him spending it on the kids. That's
totally cool. Actually, with school starting next month, I'm going to be
doing pretty much the same thing with mine. My reasoning is a bit less
altruistic, though. To me, the money is mine, but as it happens that the
most immediate need is school clothing and supplies, that is where it will
end up going. The truth is, if I never got the check, I would still buy
these same things.

Now, being the mood that I am, I do have to say that while the stated
purpose may be 'child credit', the real purpose is **vote buying**. The
children are merely being used as the emotional heartstring to make us feel
good about it. Then maybe, just maybe, we won't notice all the other ****
they (government) does to us on a daily basis. Ain't they special?

If we have a deficit, where's the money coming from? Hmmmmmmm.

Ok, off my soapbox.

Boy, what a curmudgeon I am today! I must be aging well.

Moon Shyne
August 1st 03, 11:01 PM
"Tiffany" > wrote in message

> frazil > wrote in message
> >
> > Virginia > wrote in message
> > > If it comes in both names he can return it to the IRS and wait till he
> > > fills taxes in the spring to get it without her name on the check.
> >
> > Difficult at best, because the IRS records will show that the check was
> > issued.
> >

> > > This highlights a flaw I had not thought of in regards to advancing
> > > these tax credits, How is the IRS to know how (under what status) one
> > > will file their taxes before they have done so?
> >
> > It is not an advance on next year's taxes. The $400 credit is a result of
> > retroactively advancing the increase in the dependent tax credit from $600
> > to $1000 for tax year 2002, as opposed to the originally scheduled
> increase
> > in tax year 2003. It has nothing to do with how he files his taxes next
> > year.
> >

> So please excuse my lack of knowledge of this but does that mean everyone
> who has a dependent is going to get a check or just folks in certain tax
> brackets? I have honestly heard nothing of this (beside brief tid-bits on
> the news that I didn't pay attention to) so was just curious.

For the most part, if you're below a certain income threshold, you won't get the
full amount.

For more information, you can go to
http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=111546,00.html

> > child
> child
> > tax
> > filing
> > cheating
> > year,
> > helped.
> > check is

> > in

> > the
> support,
> > nor

Tracy
August 2nd 03, 01:38 AM
"The DaveŠ" > wrote in message
s.com...
> "Tracy" wrote
> > > The sentiment is nice, but it's his money. Kids have no money other
> than
> > > what they earn and what others (parents, etc.) choose to give them.
> >
> > You are being too technical. ;-)
>
> Yes, I am being technical. I think I'm just "in a mood" today.

[snip]

> Boy, what a curmudgeon I am today! I must be aging well.

Care to share why you are in this "mood". Sounds serious...

Oh - you can keep the soapbox as long as I can keep my cloud. I don't want
to give up my cloud. LOL

Tracy
~~~~~~~
http://www.hornschuch.net/tracy/
"You can't solve problems with the same
type of thinking that created them."
Albert Einstein

*** spamguard in place! to email me: tracy at hornschuch dot net ***

AZ Astrea
August 4th 03, 01:33 AM
"frazil" > wrote in message
SNIP

> Again, the law doesn't give a rat's ass how someone feels. Simply put,
The
> $400 check is due to a retroactive change in tax laws for tax year 2002.
> They filed a joint return for tax year 2002. Therefore, she is entitled
> half of the $400, unless a court ordered that he is entitled to claim the
> child on his 2002 tax return. What happens in tax year 2003, is
irrelevent.
This is simply not true. It is not a retroactive change. They simply use
the data/information from your 2002 return of how many qualified children
you have in order to apply it to the advance payment.
See
http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=109812,00.html

The credit of $1000 per child is effective for 2003 and 2004.

~AZ~

> > Tracy
> > ~~~~~~~
> > http://www.hornschuch.net/tracy/
> > "You can't solve problems with the same
> > type of thinking that created them."
> > Albert Einstein
> >
> > *** spamguard in place! to email me: tracy at hornschuch dot net ***

AZ Astrea
August 4th 03, 01:40 AM
"Virginia" > wrote in message
> this is an advance on next years taxes in which they will not file
> jointly therfore half is not hers.
Exactly right!!!!! And it is strange that the government didn't put in
something for just this situation. I'll bet this is going to be a problem
for a whole lot of people.
Hopefully he can explain this to her and she won't be so disagreable.
Hopefully.

~AZ~

> frazil wrote:
>
> > Tracy > wrote in message
> >
> >>My boyfriend, who has custody of his children & is not receiving any
child
> >>support, is about to receive an check from the IRS for the advance child
> >
> > tax
> >
> >>credit. Here's the issue... They filed with the status of married
> >
> > filing
> >
> >>jointly - since at the time my boy friend was clueless to his ex's
> >
> > cheating
> >
> >>ways and what was about to hit him. She did some baby sitting last
year,
> >>but nothing really grand - and it really hurt in terms of taxes than
> >
> > helped.
> >
> >>So the majority of their income came from him. The advance payment
check

> > is
> >
> >>on its way, but in both his & hers names. So he needs her to sign the
> >>check.
> >>
> >>Question: What if she refuses to sign unless she receives part of the
> >>money? What can he do? If you were in his situation, would you share
in
> >>the check? If so, how much?
> >

> > If she refuses then no one will get the money. If she refuses he
petitions
> > the court to make her sign. Since they filed jointly, she is legally
> > entitled to half the money.
> >

> >>He plans on using the check to purchase school clothing & supplies for
the
> >>kids. He strongly feels that since she is not paying any child support,
> >
> > nor
> >
> >>does she take the kids like she is suppose to, she should not receive
> >>anything.
> >

> > The court doesn't care how he feels. Unless he has a court order
stating
> > that he is entitled to claim the dependent child on his taxes and/or
receive
> > the tax benefits associated with the dependent child, she is legally
> > entitled to half the money. IOW, since the tax return was jointly
filed,
> > she gets half, unless he has a court order stating otherwise.
> >

> >>Thanks in advance.
> >>Tracy
> >>~~~~~~~
> >>http://www.hornschuch.net/tracy/
> >>"You can't solve problems with the same
> >> type of thinking that created them."
> >> Albert Einstein
> >>
> >>*** spamguard in place! to email me: tracy at hornschuch dot net ***

Mel Gamble
August 4th 03, 12:30 PM
What the ???

************************************************** ************************
**************
>Commutes to work 5-7 days per week. Right now he has
>worked 12 days in a row, and will work every day until next week. He puts
>in 12-14 hour days. He comes home to a mess. He spends time picking it up.
>He cooks. He cleans. Etc... It has been really hard on him.
************************************************** ************************
**************

"hard on *H*I*M*"????? It's the middle of summer and the custodial parent is
going to be home for less than half-time for 2 to 3 weeks at a time - WHO is
raising these kids?

Seriously, Tracy - if he's got financial obligations that make such a schedule
necessary, he should SERIOUSLY consider dumping as much of that debt as
possible...he's supporting a lifestyle that his kids can't afford.

Working that kind of time might have worked while he was married (although
apparently not too well), but it doesn't fit with trying to be the only parent
the kids can depend on. I can't believe those kids need ANYTHING all that
overtime is paying for any more than they need the time with DAD.

You need to spend some time helping him re-define himself as a parent from
BREADWINNER and homemaker to HOMEMAKER and breadwinner, with emphasis in the
change in emphasis.

>So he is
>really upset with his ex-wife for not helping out at all. Not being there
>for those kids. It isn't the money, but the time.

I'm sure you're referring to the mother above, but do you see how those last
two sentences might be applied to him as well?

>How does this relate to
>the check? It goes back to your paragraph above. "If he's already had them
>the majority of the time..." This is the type of man who would share that
>check (50/50) if she was being a mother to those kids... period.
>
>> >He plans on using the check to purchase school clothing & supplies for
>the
>> >kids. He strongly feels that since she is not paying any child support,
>nor
>> >does she take the kids like she is suppose to, she should not receive
>> >anything.
>>
>> He is correct.
>
>I'm glad you agree.

Well, I certainly DON'T agree with that work schedule if there's any way he can
get out of it and still provide what's needed...

Mel Gamble

>Tracy

Tracy
August 5th 03, 05:44 AM
"Mel Gamble" > wrote in message

> ************************************************** ************************
> **************
> >Commutes to work 5-7 days per week. Right now he has
> >worked 12 days in a row, and will work every day until next week. He
puts
> >in 12-14 hour days. He comes home to a mess. He spends time picking it
up.
> >He cooks. He cleans. Etc... It has been really hard on him.
> ************************************************** ************************
> **************
>
> "hard on *H*I*M*"????? It's the middle of summer and the custodial parent
is
> going to be home for less than half-time for 2 to 3 weeks at a time - WHO
is
> raising these kids?
>
> Seriously, Tracy - if he's got financial obligations that make such a
schedule
> necessary, he should SERIOUSLY consider dumping as much of that debt as
> possible...he's supporting a lifestyle that his kids can't afford.

Mel - he is *not* living above his means. He is doing just fine. His
mortgage is about 50% of the value on his home. He is refinancing and his
whole bills added into his mortgage (under 4% interest rate) will be less
than 60% of the value of his home. Most of us can only dream of having a
debt like that. The life style is not the issue. Please read - and *you*
should understand - he's a heavy equiptment operator. Was once a logger.
Had his own logging company, etc. He doesn't have a choice in the hours he
is required to work. His ex dumped the kids on him. The kids are fine,
because he starts work at 5 o'clock in the morning when they are still
sleeping. He typically leaves around 2 o'clock in the afternoon. Due to
over-time he isn't.

So we talked about the above tonight... ok - more like "dreaming". We've
agreed - he isn't quitting his job, and I'm not quitting mine. We talked
about our debts and our incomes. We are clear on where we stand
financially - separate and together.

You need to understand - if he doesn't put in the hours he'll be fired. You
should understand that. It is a simple fact. He didn't ask for this to
happen. It was dumped on him. Now he has to deal with it, and for the most
part - he is doing a fine job.

> Working that kind of time might have worked while he was married (although
> apparently not too well),

Mel - that isn't fair! She's wrong for cheating on him and his hours should
have nothing to do with it! She wasn't willing to go and get a job to
support her ASS in the life style she wanted, she has no room to complain.
That is how I view it!

> You need to spend some time helping him re-define himself as a parent from
> BREADWINNER and homemaker to HOMEMAKER and breadwinner, with emphasis in
the
> change in emphasis.

No... instead I should be supportive of him. Allow him to enjoy whatever
work he decides is best for him. If he wants to go back into logging - so
be it. I'll be there ready to give that man a fully body message - with a
smile on my face - because I know within my heart that he loves me. No one
will ever question if he loves me or not. No one will ever have to question
if I'll be married to *him* till death due us part. Does this make sense?
Do you understand what I'm talking about?

> >So he is
> >really upset with his ex-wife for not helping out at all. Not being
there
> >for those kids. It isn't the money, but the time.
>
> I'm sure you're referring to the mother above, but do you see how those
last
> two sentences might be applied to him as well?

He is there for those kids. He is the *only* parent there for those kids.
That is part of the problem. It is pushing him to the limit. All I can do
is be there for *him*.

This last weekend his mother *told* him that his daughter is acting out just
like her mother. She had 9 years of exposure to a woman throwing one fit
after another - and she is acting just like her mother. She told her son
(my bf) to put his foot down and put an end to it now.

BTW - the ex and I met this last weekend. She thanked me for bring her
daughter by to see her (she was at work). I also met many people from his
step-father's family who remembers distant relatives of mine (Grandfather's
cousin, etc).

> >> He is correct.
> >
> >I'm glad you agree.
>
> Well, I certainly DON'T agree with that work schedule if there's any way
he can
> get out of it and still provide what's needed...

He can't get out of it, period. Otherwise he'd be unemployed. We talked
about this. He is *not* looking for someone to support him. I've already
notice he is not use to having a woman in his life who works. Being a
laborer has its up's and down's.

Tracy
~~~~~~~
http://www.hornschuch.net/tracy/
"You can't solve problems with the same
type of thinking that created them."
Albert Einstein

*** spamguard in place! to email me: tracy at hornschuch dot net ***

frazil
August 6th 03, 12:05 AM
I retract my statement! But that does present an interesting problem. My
ex and I alternate years for claiming the exemption and tax credit (I get
even tax years, she gets odd tax years). Since the $400 is an advance
refund for 2003 taxes, the refund check I receive is really hers. Guess I
better not spend the money, as my tax liability just increased $400. Damn
republicans, it figures they'd screw-up. No Bin Laden, no Saddam, no WMD,
and no tax reduction. Makes me wonder why I voted for Bush. This should
make for a very interesting tax season. :-)

gini52 > wrote in message

> "frazil" > wrote in message
> >
> > Tracy > wrote in message
> > >
> > > Can someone do this? But he needs the money now - as school is
> > approaching
> > > and he needs money to purchase school clothes, etc.

one

> > > They are basing the amount on last years tax return. They've done
this
> > > before.
> >
> > It is based on last years tax return because that is what was changed,
> > namely the dependent tax credit was retroactively increased for tax year
> > 2002 from $600 to $1000. For tax year 2003 the credit will be $1000,
> unless
> > they make another change.
> ==
> Not according to the IRS. The change is in year 2003 and when 2003 taxes
are
> filed,
> the advance must be deducted from the 1000. allowance.
> ==
> ==
> >

> > > Tracy
> > > ~~~~~~~
> > > http://www.hornschuch.net/tracy/
> > > "You can't solve problems with the same
> > > type of thinking that created them."
> > > Albert Einstein
> > >
> > > *** spamguard in place! to email me: tracy at hornschuch dot net ***

Tiffany
August 6th 03, 03:02 AM
frazil > wrote in message
> I retract my statement! But that does present an interesting problem. My
> ex and I alternate years for claiming the exemption and tax credit (I get
> even tax years, she gets odd tax years). Since the $400 is an advance
> refund for 2003 taxes, the refund check I receive is really hers. Guess I
> better not spend the money, as my tax liability just increased $400. Damn
> republicans, it figures they'd screw-up. No Bin Laden, no Saddam, no WMD,
> and no tax reduction. Makes me wonder why I voted for Bush. This should
> make for a very interesting tax season. :-)

You admit to voting for Bush? Boy you got guts! ;)

Virginia
August 6th 03, 03:36 AM
who's Eric Rodolph?