PDA

View Full Version : Ending Child Support (2nd Try)

TOM
August 10th 03, 05:22 PM
The only child at home will turn 19 in Sept 2005. Nineteen is the cut
off age for support in Colorado unless the child is still in school
(high school or full-time college). I'm wondering if anyone on the list
knows the steps I have to take to terminate my child support payments
when the time comes. I'm pretty sure it requires some kind of court
order or something like that. I don't think I can just quit paying.

Thanks,

Tom - Vista, CA

dani
August 10th 03, 10:22 PM
TOM wrote:
> The only child at home will turn 19 in Sept 2005. Nineteen is the cut
> off age for support in Colorado unless the child is still in school
> (high school or full-time college). I'm wondering if anyone on the list
> knows the steps I have to take to terminate my child support payments
> when the time comes. I'm pretty sure it requires some kind of court
> order or something like that. I don't think I can just quit paying.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom - Vista, CA

Not sure, but I can point you in the right direction.

Try one of these sites -

http://www.lexisone.com/caselaw/freecaselaw

http://www.findlaw.com/casecode/index.html

http://www.law.cornell.edu/topics/Table_Divorce.htm

I could help you more with California, but Colorado will more than
likely have different requirements.

~ Dani

Bob Whiteside
August 10th 03, 10:49 PM
"TOM" > wrote in message
> The only child at home will turn 19 in Sept 2005. Nineteen is the cut
> off age for support in Colorado unless the child is still in school
> (high school or full-time college). I'm wondering if anyone on the list
> knows the steps I have to take to terminate my child support payments
> when the time comes. I'm pretty sure it requires some kind of court
> order or something like that. I don't think I can just quit paying.

The first step is to check the language in your CS order. It should give
you some clues about how termination of CS is handled in Colorado. Most
likely it will recite Colorado law regarding the length of time CS is due
and payable.

Most states that have child attending school statutes extending CS beyond
high school will have some process where the CS administration formally
inquires about the child's education plans beyond high school to determine
whether they should continue CS accruals beyond the potential end date.

If you are paying CS through the state CS Accounting Unit ask the CS
Administrator for the state of Colorado if state law allows them to stop CS
accruals at age 19 and if they have a process to certify all CS has been
paid and issue a Full Satisfaction of Judgment. If they do, they will act
on your behalf, but you may have to request this service.

Usually an Order Terminating Support is used for ending the CS for cause
prior to the statutory deadline outlined in the law, or when the state CS
accounting unit is not collecting and disbursing the money.

Mike Cook
August 10th 03, 11:51 PM
A couple of things I've learned through experience in Colorado:
You will need a court order, FSR only takes money based on the court order
currently in place, they don't do much else.
Get an attorney, the amount you spend will be worth it.
Get an attorney in the county where the court of jurisdiction is located,
it's a good old boy network around here.
Neither the court, nor FSR, will automatically do anything to either inquire
about, nor end support without you, or the CP, filing a request with the
court.
Different counties may have slightly different ways of handling this
process, hence another reason to hire a local attorney.
Note that according to three attorneys I have spoken with over the past few
years on this issue, you will be held accountable to continue child support
payments for a child that turns 19, until the court actually orders payments
to end. The court will only do so at your request. They won't do it just
to be nice, legal, efficient, moral, or for any other reason.
--Mike
mpcook at earthnet.net

"Bob Whiteside" > wrote in message
link.net...

> "TOM" > wrote in message
> > The only child at home will turn 19 in Sept 2005. Nineteen is the cut
> > off age for support in Colorado unless the child is still in school
> > (high school or full-time college). I'm wondering if anyone on the list
> > knows the steps I have to take to terminate my child support payments
> > when the time comes. I'm pretty sure it requires some kind of court
> > order or something like that. I don't think I can just quit paying.
>
> The first step is to check the language in your CS order. It should give
> you some clues about how termination of CS is handled in Colorado. Most
> likely it will recite Colorado law regarding the length of time CS is due
> and payable.
>
> Most states that have child attending school statutes extending CS beyond
> high school will have some process where the CS administration formally
> inquires about the child's education plans beyond high school to determine
> whether they should continue CS accruals beyond the potential end date.
>
> If you are paying CS through the state CS Accounting Unit ask the CS
> Administrator for the state of Colorado if state law allows them to stop
CS
> accruals at age 19 and if they have a process to certify all CS has been
> paid and issue a Full Satisfaction of Judgment. If they do, they will act
> on your behalf, but you may have to request this service.
>
> Usually an Order Terminating Support is used for ending the CS for cause
> prior to the statutory deadline outlined in the law, or when the state CS
> accounting unit is not collecting and disbursing the money.

TOM
August 11th 03, 12:12 AM
gini52 wrote:

> "TOM" > wrote in message
>
>>The only child at home will turn 19 in Sept 2005. Nineteen is the cut
>>off age for support in Colorado unless the child is still in school
>>(high school or full-time college). I'm wondering if anyone on the list
>>knows the steps I have to take to terminate my child support payments
>>when the time comes. I'm pretty sure it requires some kind of court
>>order or something like that. I don't think I can just quit paying.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Tom - Vista, CA
>
> ==
> States vary on the process for ending support. You will have to check CO
> statutes.
> ==
> ==

Will do, and I apologize for the double post. Sometimes, I don't think
messages make it through the local news server and I get impatient.

Thanks for the advice.

Tom - Vista, CA

TOM
August 11th 03, 12:14 AM
dani wrote:

> TOM wrote:
>
>> The only child at home will turn 19 in Sept 2005. Nineteen is the cut
>> off age for support in Colorado unless the child is still in school
>> (high school or full-time college). I'm wondering if anyone on the
>> list knows the steps I have to take to terminate my child support
>> payments when the time comes. I'm pretty sure it requires some kind of
>> court order or something like that. I don't think I can just quit paying.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Tom - Vista, CA
>>

> Not sure, but I can point you in the right direction.
>
> Try one of these sites -
>
> http://www.lexisone.com/caselaw/freecaselaw
>
> http://www.findlaw.com/casecode/index.html
>
> http://www.law.cornell.edu/topics/Table_Divorce.htm
>
> I could help you more with California, but Colorado will more than
> likely have different requirements.
>
> ~ Dani

Thanks a bunch! It's probably going to be a hassle with the kids
(actually, only one at home now) and their mom living in Colorado and my
living in California.

Tom - Vista, CA

TOM
August 11th 03, 12:17 AM
Mike Cook wrote:

> A couple of things I've learned through experience in Colorado:
> You will need a court order, FSR only takes money based on the court order
> currently in place, they don't do much else.
> Get an attorney, the amount you spend will be worth it.
> Get an attorney in the county where the court of jurisdiction is located,
> it's a good old boy network around here.
> Neither the court, nor FSR, will automatically do anything to either inquire
> about, nor end support without you, or the CP, filing a request with the
> court.
> Different counties may have slightly different ways of handling this
> process, hence another reason to hire a local attorney.
> Note that according to three attorneys I have spoken with over the past few
> years on this issue, you will be held accountable to continue child support
> payments for a child that turns 19, until the court actually orders payments
> to end. The court will only do so at your request. They won't do it just
> to be nice, legal, efficient, moral, or for any other reason.
> --Mike
> mpcook at earthnet.net

Mike,

That's encouraging... :>))

Thanks for the info.

By the way, I e-mailed you off list, but forgot to mention that the
records are in DOuglas County ). We lived in Parker at the time...

Tom - Vista, CA

gini52
August 11th 03, 01:04 AM
"TOM" > wrote in message
> Bob Whiteside wrote:
>
> > "Mike Cook" > wrote in message
> >
> >>A couple of things I've learned through experience in Colorado:
> >>You will need a court order, FSR only takes money based on the court
order
> >>currently in place, they don't do much else.
> >>Get an attorney, the amount you spend will be worth it.
> >>Get an attorney in the county where the court of jurisdiction is
located,
> >>it's a good old boy network around here.
> >>Neither the court, nor FSR, will automatically do anything to either
> >
> > inquire
> >
> >>about, nor end support without you, or the CP, filing a request with the
> >>court.
> >>Different counties may have slightly different ways of handling this
> >>process, hence another reason to hire a local attorney.
> >>Note that according to three attorneys I have spoken with over the past
> >
> > few
> >
> >>years on this issue, you will be held accountable to continue child
> >
> > support
> >
> >>payments for a child that turns 19, until the court actually orders
> >
> > payments
> >
> >>to end. The court will only do so at your request. They won't do it
just
> >>to be nice, legal, efficient, moral, or for any other reason.
> >>--Mike
> >

> > Good advise to contact an attorney to make sure you are covering all of
the
> > details. I paid an attorney a $50 consultation fee to help me
understand
> > the law and the process. Because of how my state handles the CS
termination
> > process I was able to do all the rest of the filings by myself.
>
> Thank you!
>
> This is the most informative and friendly newsgroup I have ever
> subscribed to.
===
ROFLMAO!! :-) We better not take a vote on that! We've been called a lot
of things but I think this is a first for "friendly." Anyway, glad you got
some answers on how to proceed. Good luck!
===
===