PDA

View Full Version : enmeshed in a bitter custody battle....Government knows best?????

Freedom
September 6th 03, 05:34 AM
SAN DIEGO - A 14-year-old boy jogging with his high school cross-country
team (search) was shot and killed in an ambush by his father, who killed
himself hours later in a standoff with police.

William Hoffine (search), 58, had been in deep debt and was enmeshed in a
bitter custody battle with the boy's mother, who had obtained a court order
to keep him away.

PapaPolarbear
September 6th 03, 09:03 AM
"Freedom" > wrote in message
> SAN DIEGO - A 14-year-old boy jogging with his high school cross-country
> team (search) was shot and killed in an ambush by his father, who killed
> himself hours later in a standoff with police.
>

> William Hoffine (search), 58, had been in deep debt and was enmeshed in a
> bitter custody battle with the boy's mother, who had obtained a court
order
> to keep him away.

It seems the court order was justified.

PapaPolarbear
September 6th 03, 09:03 AM
"Freedom" > wrote in message
> SAN DIEGO - A 14-year-old boy jogging with his high school cross-country
> team (search) was shot and killed in an ambush by his father, who killed
> himself hours later in a standoff with police.
>

> William Hoffine (search), 58, had been in deep debt and was enmeshed in a
> bitter custody battle with the boy's mother, who had obtained a court
order
> to keep him away.

It seems the court order was justified.

Bob Whiteside
September 6th 03, 06:08 PM
"PapaPolarbear" > wrote in message
. ..
> "Freedom" > wrote in message
> > SAN DIEGO - A 14-year-old boy jogging with his high school cross-country
> > team (search) was shot and killed in an ambush by his father, who killed
> > himself hours later in a standoff with police.
> >

> > William Hoffine (search), 58, had been in deep debt and was enmeshed in
> > bitter custody battle with the boy's mother, who had obtained a court
> order
> > to keep him away.
>
> It seems the court order was justified.

And, like always it didn't work as intended.

I have never seem a study to suggest RO's actually protect a person. It is
my perception RO's actually provoke behavior like this case by pushing
unstable people over the edge.

Bob Whiteside
September 6th 03, 06:08 PM
"PapaPolarbear" > wrote in message
. ..
> "Freedom" > wrote in message
> > SAN DIEGO - A 14-year-old boy jogging with his high school cross-country
> > team (search) was shot and killed in an ambush by his father, who killed
> > himself hours later in a standoff with police.
> >

> > William Hoffine (search), 58, had been in deep debt and was enmeshed in
> > bitter custody battle with the boy's mother, who had obtained a court
> order
> > to keep him away.
>
> It seems the court order was justified.

And, like always it didn't work as intended.

I have never seem a study to suggest RO's actually protect a person. It is
my perception RO's actually provoke behavior like this case by pushing
unstable people over the edge.

PapaPolarbear
September 6th 03, 06:25 PM
"Bob Whiteside" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> I have never seem a study to suggest RO's actually protect a person. It
is
> my perception RO's actually provoke behavior like this case by pushing
> unstable people over the edge.

You might be right. An RO seems like a good thing to do when assualted, etc.
The purpose it serves is to narrow the list of suspects to a single person.
A person who's likely dead already when they stop to figure things out.
(Murder/Suicide).

Papa

PapaPolarbear
September 6th 03, 06:25 PM
"Bob Whiteside" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> I have never seem a study to suggest RO's actually protect a person. It
is
> my perception RO's actually provoke behavior like this case by pushing
> unstable people over the edge.

You might be right. An RO seems like a good thing to do when assualted, etc.
The purpose it serves is to narrow the list of suspects to a single person.
A person who's likely dead already when they stop to figure things out.
(Murder/Suicide).

Papa

Dan Curry
September 7th 03, 07:24 AM
This type of case extremely rare. If a parent kills a child 9 times out of
10, its the mother not the father.

In some of these rare cases, the child is better off dead than with the
mother anyway.

"Freedom" > wrote in message
> SAN DIEGO - A 14-year-old boy jogging with his high school cross-country
> team (search) was shot and killed in an ambush by his father, who killed
> himself hours later in a standoff with police.
>

> William Hoffine (search), 58, had been in deep debt and was enmeshed in a
> bitter custody battle with the boy's mother, who had obtained a court
order
> to keep him away.

Father Drew
September 9th 03, 02:05 AM
I would never say a child is better off dead. There is always adoption and
foster care. neither are great alternatives, but better than being with a
wacko parent. Even if the child is raised by a terrible parent, there is no
guarentee that the kid won't grow up and have a chance at a good life on
their own. One of those kids may be the one who finds the cure for cancer,
the alternative fuel vehicle solution, or the giant ozone band-aid.

-Drew

"Dan Curry" > wrote in message
om...
> This type of case extremely rare. If a parent kills a child 9 times out of
> 10, its the mother not the father.
>
> In some of these rare cases, the child is better off dead than with the
> mother anyway.
>

> "Freedom" > wrote in message
> > SAN DIEGO - A 14-year-old boy jogging with his high school cross-country
> > team (search) was shot and killed in an ambush by his father, who killed
> > himself hours later in a standoff with police.
> >

> > William Hoffine (search), 58, had been in deep debt and was enmeshed in
> > bitter custody battle with the boy's mother, who had obtained a court
> order
> > to keep him away.

Father Drew
September 9th 03, 02:05 AM
I would never say a child is better off dead. There is always adoption and
foster care. neither are great alternatives, but better than being with a
wacko parent. Even if the child is raised by a terrible parent, there is no
guarentee that the kid won't grow up and have a chance at a good life on
their own. One of those kids may be the one who finds the cure for cancer,
the alternative fuel vehicle solution, or the giant ozone band-aid.

-Drew

om...