PDA

View Full Version : a minor triumph

The DaveŠ
September 8th 03, 10:53 PM
Again, stuff I found in another newsgroup that might be of interest.

http://www.zanesvilletimesrecorder.com/news/stories/20030907/topstories/
211406.html

Man receives child support payback after 20-plus years

By BRIAN GADD
Staff Writer
ZANESVILLE -- A saga that has stretched for more than 20 years came to
an end for a Zanesville man.

Money that Jonathan Sims paid for child support -- for a child that was
determined through DNA testing not to be his daughter -- was finally
returned to him last week by the Ohio Department of Job and Family
Services through the Muskingum County Child Support Enforcement Agency.

"I'm just ecstatic. It's been more than 15 years of turmoil in my
life," said Sims Friday, after being informed by his attorney John
Petit, that a check for $10,144.44 had been received. "Justice did
prevail."

Case history

Sims married the child's mother in 1982 -- not long after the baby was
born. But he left the relationship a few months later. The couple
divorced in 1984. At the time, Sims submitted the results of the blood
test to his
attorney, the prosecutor's office, the welfare department and the
county's child support enforcement agency.

Sims and the mother are white, and the child is black.

"I talked her into it (the DNA testing), took copies to everyone, and I
was told everything would be taken care of," he said.

But his ordeal was just beginning.

He said his attorney did not file the paperwork in court. And when the
child's mother moved to another county, officials there decided to
collect support from him.

The state had toughened its child support laws by then, and agencies
were targeting non-paying parents. The motion for support was granted.
Sims appealed to the 5th District Court of Appeals, but he lost, and
support
was deducted from his paycheck.

Sims was also charged with back payments from the time of his divorce
in 1984 until the motion was granted in 1988 -- even though everyone
acknowledged he was not the biological father of the child.

Tracy
September 9th 03, 02:52 AM
"The DaveŠ" > wrote in message
> Again, stuff I found in another newsgroup that might be of interest.
>

> http://www.zanesvilletimesrecorder.com/news/stories/20030907/topstories/
> 211406.html
>
> Man receives child support payback after 20-plus years

That is good news... and it is about time someone did the right thing!

Tracy
~~~~~~~
http://www.hornschuch.net/tracy/
"You can't solve problems with the same
type of thinking that created them."
Albert Einstein

*** spamguard in place! to email me: tracy at hornschuch dot net ***

Tracy
September 9th 03, 02:52 AM
"The DaveŠ" > wrote in message
> Again, stuff I found in another newsgroup that might be of interest.
>

> http://www.zanesvilletimesrecorder.com/news/stories/20030907/topstories/
> 211406.html
>
> Man receives child support payback after 20-plus years

That is good news... and it is about time someone did the right thing!

Tracy
~~~~~~~
http://www.hornschuch.net/tracy/
"You can't solve problems with the same
type of thinking that created them."
Albert Einstein

*** spamguard in place! to email me: tracy at hornschuch dot net ***

dani
September 9th 03, 07:15 AM

dani
September 9th 03, 07:15 AM

The DaveŠ
September 9th 03, 04:45 PM
> dani wrote:
> Uh, no interest? What a crock of ****.

I didn't even think of that. Yet another example of what is supposed
to be our government (looking out for us, right?) not being willing to
live by the same standards and rules they impose on us.

The DaveŠ
September 9th 03, 04:45 PM