PDA

View Full Version : URGENT - Fathers Jailed in PA without legal counsel

Jay Todd
November 23rd 03, 12:32 PM
If you were jailed, know of some one jailed, or know of the practice
of jailing in Contempt Hearings for not paying child support in PA,
then please notify me immediately.

Jay Todd

November 30th 03, 09:48 PM

November 30th 03, 09:48 PM

November 30th 03, 09:51 PM
I'm surprise this post recieved no comment. Jailing folks without
representation is illegal, isn't it?
It's happening here in Mi. also. Is this a sign of the times?

nm

November 30th 03, 09:51 PM
I'm surprise this post recieved no comment. Jailing folks without
representation is illegal, isn't it?
It's happening here in Mi. also. Is this a sign of the times?

nm

Gini
November 30th 03, 11:37 PM
> wrote in message
> I'm surprise this post recieved no comment. Jailing folks without
> representation is illegal, isn't it?
===
How so? It is illegal to jail an NCP without evidence of "ability to pay,"
(but, is done all the time)
but as far as I know, no lawyer is required prior to incarceration.
==
==
> It's happening here in Mi. also. Is this a sign of the times?
>
> nm

Gini
November 30th 03, 11:37 PM
> wrote in message
> I'm surprise this post recieved no comment. Jailing folks without
> representation is illegal, isn't it?
===
How so? It is illegal to jail an NCP without evidence of "ability to pay,"
(but, is done all the time)
but as far as I know, no lawyer is required prior to incarceration.
==
==
> It's happening here in Mi. also. Is this a sign of the times?
>
> nm

Bob Whiteside
December 1st 03, 12:20 AM
> wrote in message
> I'm surprise this post recieved no comment. Jailing folks without
> representation is illegal, isn't it?
> It's happening here in Mi. also. Is this a sign of the times?

People don't go to jail without the option for legal representation in my
state. The process steps are: 1.) an order to show cause and notice to
appear for arraignment is formally served, 2.) an arraignment hearing where
the charges are explained, rights are formally reviewed, the formal hearing
date is set, and application can be made for public defender counsel, and
3.) the formal hearing on the case. The whole process takes about 3-4
months.

If an NCP blows off the first step and fails to appear a bench warrant is
issued for arresting the individual and a bond amount is pre-set. The bond
amount is usually 100% of the arrearage CS amount owed. In hardcore cases,
I have observed bond amounts being set as high as 2 1/2 times the arrearage
amount under the assumption that if they flew the first time, they will flee
again a second time. The DA prosecuting the case has to show proof of
service on the individual to get the arrest warrant issued.

Bob Whiteside
December 1st 03, 12:20 AM