PDA

View Full Version : Was Tax Intercept

agrich
December 9th 03, 02:36 AM
Good News:

I got a reply from the OCSE. They are not going to certify the tax
intercept. they found that my fines,attorney fees and testing have been paid
in FULL!
My current support balance is -$71 in arrears. My instant debt is $71
overpaid (I note on EACH check the amount for instant debt and current)

They sent an affidavit of arrears broken down by month and by current
support and instant debt. a second grader could spot the error imediatly. In
June (4 weeks)they received a payment that was earmarked for July (5weeks)
and decided that it should go towards instant debt instead of current
support. So I have been one payment behind since, My spreadsheet and theirs
don't jive. I called the former welfare recipient turned caseworker and she
gave me a little attitude at first. I told her it was obvious what had
happened, and I wanted it corrected. She stated she didn't think she could
do that! She finally admitted it was an error on their part and that it had
happened to more than one NCP, that they had a trouble ticket turned into
the "system" to correct this problem.

I asked why she didn't tell me that they had mis applied a payment the
first time and why they were reporting me as in "arrears" to the CP when in
fact I wasn't. I asked to speak to her superviser, of course the supervisor
was out of the office. So I asked for her and her supervisor to come up with
a way to resolve this and that I would call back. She felt that I should be
happy that the tax intercept diodn't go through and I explained that their
mistake had wasted alot of my resources.

I'll call the supervisor Wensday and I'll ask for the $71 to be re-applied
to current support, and that a letter be issued to myself and the CP stating
that an accounting error was made and that I am current. Note: the custodian
of records is the "caseworker" at the local OCSE During on of my
conversations with the caseworker she stated that next year my fed taxes
would be intercepted and applied to the instant debt. I intend to followup
on this as my next project. I will be sending a monthly request for "
Affidavit of Child Support Arrearage" to the caseworker as they OBVIOUSLY
can't do math. My case is very simple as I have only made 30 weekly payments
and have kept excellent records, I don't know how someone less fortunate
would have figured this out and gotten it corrected.

They are debiting on the first of the month and are taking nearly a month
to credit my account. I pay by personal check, I originally requested
income witholding but they never put it in place, with 195 weeks to go I
figure It might be easier to stop this way.

Bob Whiteside
December 9th 03, 03:16 AM
"agrich" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> [...]
> of records is the "caseworker" at the local OCSE During on of my
> conversations with the caseworker she stated that next year my fed taxes
> would be intercepted and applied to the instant debt. I intend to followup
> on this as my next project. I will be sending a monthly request for "
> Affidavit of Child Support Arrearage" to the caseworker as they OBVIOUSLY
> can't do math. My case is very simple as I have only made 30 weekly
payments
> and have kept excellent records, I don't know how someone less fortunate
> would have figured this out and gotten it corrected.
>
> They are debiting on the first of the month and are taking nearly a month
> to credit my account. I pay by personal check, I originally requested
> income witholding but they never put it in place, with 195 weeks to go I
> figure It might be easier to stop this way.

It's great you got this resolved quickly and got a supervisor involved.
That caseworker is not only the custodian of your account, but she is also
the legal custodian of the official records on your account that is
recognized by the courts for all subsequent actions. By staying on top of
your account and demanding action, you saved yourself a lot of grief down
the road.

Bob Whiteside
December 9th 03, 03:16 AM
"agrich" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> [...]
> can't do math. My case is very simple as I have only made 30 weekly
payments
> and have kept excellent records, I don't know how someone less fortunate
> would have figured this out and gotten it corrected.
>
> They are debiting on the first of the month and are taking nearly a month
> to credit my account. I pay by personal check, I originally requested
> income witholding but they never put it in place, with 195 weeks to go I
> figure It might be easier to stop this way.

It's great you got this resolved quickly and got a supervisor involved.
That caseworker is not only the custodian of your account, but she is also
the legal custodian of the official records on your account that is
recognized by the courts for all subsequent actions. By staying on top of
your account and demanding action, you saved yourself a lot of grief down

Steve
December 9th 03, 01:27 PM
Glad to hear things worked out. I, for one, would write a detailed
letter outlining all that happened and forward it to my state
representatives. I believe someone here did this under another
circumstance and it ended up causing several people at the OCSE to get
fired (after the state representative made an official inquiry into
the problem).

"agrich" > wrote in message et>...
> Good News:
>
> I got a reply from the OCSE. They are not going to certify the tax
> intercept. they found that my fines,attorney fees and testing have been paid
> in FULL!
> My current support balance is -$71 in arrears. My instant debt is $71
> overpaid (I note on EACH check the amount for instant debt and current)
>
> They sent an affidavit of arrears broken down by month and by current
> support and instant debt. a second grader could spot the error imediatly. In
> June (4 weeks)they received a payment that was earmarked for July (5weeks)
> and decided that it should go towards instant debt instead of current
> support. So I have been one payment behind since, My spreadsheet and theirs
> don't jive. I called the former welfare recipient turned caseworker and she
> gave me a little attitude at first. I told her it was obvious what had
> happened, and I wanted it corrected. She stated she didn't think she could
> do that! She finally admitted it was an error on their part and that it had
> happened to more than one NCP, that they had a trouble ticket turned into
> the "system" to correct this problem.
>
> I asked why she didn't tell me that they had mis applied a payment the
> first time and why they were reporting me as in "arrears" to the CP when in
> fact I wasn't. I asked to speak to her superviser, of course the supervisor
> was out of the office. So I asked for her and her supervisor to come up with
> a way to resolve this and that I would call back. She felt that I should be
> happy that the tax intercept diodn't go through and I explained that their
> mistake had wasted alot of my resources.
>
> I'll call the supervisor Wensday and I'll ask for the $71 to be re-applied
> to current support, and that a letter be issued to myself and the CP stating
> that an accounting error was made and that I am current. Note: the custodian
> of records is the "caseworker" at the local OCSE During on of my
> conversations with the caseworker she stated that next year my fed taxes
> would be intercepted and applied to the instant debt. I intend to followup
> on this as my next project. I will be sending a monthly request for "
> Affidavit of Child Support Arrearage" to the caseworker as they OBVIOUSLY
> can't do math. My case is very simple as I have only made 30 weekly payments
> and have kept excellent records, I don't know how someone less fortunate
> would have figured this out and gotten it corrected.
>
> They are debiting on the first of the month and are taking nearly a month
> to credit my account. I pay by personal check, I originally requested
> income witholding but they never put it in place, with 195 weeks to go I
> figure It might be easier to stop this way.

agrich
December 11th 03, 03:20 AM
Did a followup with the caseworker today. She said, Yes Sir,No Sir and
damned little no sir and that she had good news for me, that there was no
need to speak to the superviser. She told me that they were going to
recover the mis-applied payments in full and direct them towards current
support. Her attitude was very pleasent. I asked her to send me an updated
NOTORIZED Affidavit of Child Support Arrearage within 5 days which will
certify for the record that this error happened and was corrected. Amazing
how they can turn the "I am a Bitch and your a deadbeat" switch on and off.

I'm glad I have had you guys for a sounding board!

Thanks,