PDA

View Full Version : Re: 6 month old schedule question

Penny Gaines
July 29th 03, 01:31 PM
Candace wrote in >:

> I am looking for some suggestions for my 6 month old's schedule. This
> is my fifth baby but I feel like it is my first! Anyway - at what
> point have your babies gone to a regular sleeping schedule? I know
> that at some point my other kids went from taking lots of naps
> throughout the day to 2 naps a day - one in the morning and one in the
> afternoon.
[snip]

One of my kids went from many naps to one nap some days at about six
months. (At about 11 months, it was one nap every day.) So maybe
this baby is like that baby.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three

lynn
July 29th 03, 05:08 PM
In article >,
(Candace) wrote:

> I am looking for some suggestions for my 6 month old's schedule. This
> is my fifth baby but I feel like it is my first! Anyway - at what
> point have your babies gone to a regular sleeping schedule? I know
> that at some point my other kids went from taking lots of naps
> throughout the day to 2 naps a day - one in the morning and one in the
> afternoon. Also, when do the babies go on a 3 meal a day eating
> schedule? When my baby was 4 months old the pediatrician told me to
> start introducing solids but make sure he had his milk first. I could
> give him a veggie at one point and a cereal at another time. She said
> this is all working up to a 3 meal a day schedule. Any thoughts?
> Thanks in advance!
> Candace

At about 6 or 7 months, my baby usually had 2 naps during the day - one
at around 11 or 12, for 1-1.5 hours, and another at around 3 or 4. Then
bed around 9 to 6.

At 6 months he only had solids a couple times a day. A little at lunch
and a little at dinner, some jarred food or cereal. He's still getting
almost all his calories from milk. We didn't start solids till 5.5
months; 4 is on the early side.

After 5 babies, don't you get the feeling that it doesn't much matter?
I mean, pick a pattern and follow it if you're comfortable with it, but
you can always switch, and it's mostly for practice eating solids right
now anyway. As long as you're happy and he is.

- Lynn

Chookie
August 1st 03, 10:09 AM
In article >,
(Candace) wrote:

> I am looking for some suggestions for my 6 month old's schedule. This
> is my fifth baby but I feel like it is my first! Anyway - at what
> point have your babies gone to a regular sleeping schedule?

Depends what you mean by "regular". Mine was fairly predictable at about 2
months, but of course his patterns altered as he got older.

> I know
> that at some point my other kids went from taking lots of naps
> throughout the day to 2 naps a day - one in the morning and one in the
> afternoon.

I am sure my son was having at least two naps a day past the age of one. They
gradually decreased, but I didn't have to do anything about them.

> Also, when do the babies go on a 3 meal a day eating schedule?

I think you just go with the flow. DS suddenly "got" eating at 10mo, so I
think the number of meals he ate went up at that point.

> When my baby was 4 months old the pediatrician told me to
> start introducing solids but make sure he had his milk first. I could
> give him a veggie at one point and a cereal at another time. She said
> this is all working up to a 3 meal a day schedule. Any thoughts?

1. That 4 months is awfully early to introduce solids.
2. That you aren't working up to a 3 meal a day schedule, you are working up
to having a child that eats a wide variety of foods and can use utensils
properly, has good table manners, and will ultimately select and prepare their
own food. If you keep that goal in mind, how many times a day you feed a
young baby slop really doesn't seem that important.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990