PDA

View Full Version : Only Govt Function Not Closed

Bob Whiteside
January 6th 04, 08:25 PM
Where I live we are having a major Winter storm. We have had 3-4 inches of
snow with winds driving the chill factor down to zero, it is currently
sleeting very hard, and the forecast is for freezing rain and extreme
hazardous driving conditions. All the warnings are to stay home, go home,
or you will be putting your life in danger. Chains are required on the
local freeways.

The closure lists being read on the radio are extensive. United Airlines
has cancelled all flights. The mass transit light rail trains are shut
down. Schools are closed. Government is closed. Courts are closed. The
list is endless.

BUT intermixed within all the closure announcements is this - "Child support
cases will be heard this afternoon. You must show up."

I'll bet they are counting on a lot of no-shows so they can create default
judgments against the fathers.

Bobbi
January 6th 04, 10:21 PM
Where do you live?

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 20:25:30 GMT, "Bob Whiteside"
> wrote:

>Where I live we are having a major Winter storm. We have had 3-4 inches of

<snip>

>BUT intermixed within all the closure announcements is this - "Child support
>cases will be heard this afternoon. You must show up."
>
>I'll bet they are counting on a lot of no-shows so they can create default
>judgments against the fathers.

Bobbi
January 6th 04, 10:21 PM
Where do you live?

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 20:25:30 GMT, "Bob Whiteside"
> wrote:

>Where I live we are having a major Winter storm. We have had 3-4 inches of

<snip>

>BUT intermixed within all the closure announcements is this - "Child support
>cases will be heard this afternoon. You must show up."
>
>I'll bet they are counting on a lot of no-shows so they can create default
>judgments against the fathers.

Bob Whiteside
January 6th 04, 10:28 PM
"Bobbi" > wrote in message
> Where do you live?

In Oregon, near the People's Republic of Portland.

Bob Whiteside
January 6th 04, 10:28 PM
"Bobbi" > wrote in message
> Where do you live?

In Oregon, near the People's Republic of Portland.

Gini
January 7th 04, 12:57 AM
"Bob Whiteside" > wrote in message
link.net...
> Where I live we are having a major Winter storm. We have had 3-4 inches
of
> snow with winds driving the chill factor down to zero, it is currently
> sleeting very hard, and the forecast is for freezing rain and extreme
> hazardous driving conditions. All the warnings are to stay home, go home,
> or you will be putting your life in danger. Chains are required on the
> local freeways.
>
> The closure lists being read on the radio are extensive. United Airlines
> has cancelled all flights. The mass transit light rail trains are shut
> down. Schools are closed. Government is closed. Courts are closed. The
> list is endless.
>
> BUT intermixed within all the closure announcements is this - "Child
support
> cases will be heard this afternoon. You must show up."
>
> I'll bet they are counting on a lot of no-shows so they can create default
> judgments against the fathers.
==
Fortunately none of us need be there :-). Good luck with that weather!
==

Gini
January 7th 04, 12:57 AM
"Bob Whiteside" > wrote in message
link.net...
> Where I live we are having a major Winter storm. We have had 3-4 inches
of
> snow with winds driving the chill factor down to zero, it is currently
> sleeting very hard, and the forecast is for freezing rain and extreme
> hazardous driving conditions. All the warnings are to stay home, go home,
> or you will be putting your life in danger. Chains are required on the
> local freeways.
>
> The closure lists being read on the radio are extensive. United Airlines
> has cancelled all flights. The mass transit light rail trains are shut
> down. Schools are closed. Government is closed. Courts are closed. The
> list is endless.
>
> BUT intermixed within all the closure announcements is this - "Child
support
> cases will be heard this afternoon. You must show up."
>
> I'll bet they are counting on a lot of no-shows so they can create default
> judgments against the fathers.
==
Fortunately none of us need be there :-). Good luck with that weather!
==

Tracy
January 7th 04, 01:09 AM
Bob,

You are not totally correct. Government was not closed completely. The
Governor's office was open, and so was many other government offices. My
mother is a state employee. She works for the employment office downtown
Salem. When she heard they delayed opening by two hours, she attempted to
call in reporting she will not be in. Their phones were down. Some courts
were open for a short period of time. I even remember seeing a couple of
school districts requiring their employees to report in although the schools
were closed.

To get this back on topic - today my boyfriend filed for child-support
against his ex-wife. After a year without her helping to raise their kids,
he has reach the end of his rope. He told the caseworker if she was active
in the kids' lives he wouldn't be there filing for child-support. Keep in
mind - she was totally non-existent in those kids' lives for more than two
months after he started to date me. Then she took them only once per month
(her choice) for a few months. From Halloween until Christmas she was
taking them every other weekend. When she *refused* to have the kids the
weekend after Christmas it really upset him - we made plans which had to be
completely changed. He is tired of not having the ability to plan anything
with me because of her. It isn't that big of a deal to me, but it is to him
because I end up doing the majority of the traveling between here and his
home (32 miles away). He is tired of hearing "I don't know" when he tries
to verify if she'll be picking up the kids, etc. He is really having a
difficult time in trying to keep the kids focused on having a relationship
with their mother. Neither one of his sons want anything to do with her.
His daughter is starting to get to the same point as her brothers.

So it is a done deal... it can take up to 180 days before he'll see
anything - due to the process. You may not like the idea that the
child-support offices were opened today, but I know if made one person out
there relieved... he can't even get a clear picture of what she looks like
in his head. Pity the poor woman - the good Christian mother who wanted all
of her children - got her dream home - complained if her husband even spent
a dime on himself - etc... just to walk away from it all. You can feel
sorry for her since the office were opened. I don't feel sorry for her. I
know my boyfriend has tried to work with her.

Tracy
~~~~~~~
http://www.hornschuch.net/tracy/
"You can't solve problems with the same
type of thinking that created them."
Albert Einstein

*** spamguard in place! to email me: tracy at hornschuch dot net ***

> [...]

of
> snow with winds driving the chill factor down to zero, it is currently
> sleeting very hard, and the forecast is for freezing rain and extreme
> hazardous driving conditions. All the warnings are to stay home, go home,
> or you will be putting your life in danger. Chains are required on the
> local freeways.
>
> The closure lists being read on the radio are extensive. United Airlines
> has cancelled all flights. The mass transit light rail trains are shut
> down. Schools are closed. Government is closed. Courts are closed. The
> list is endless.
>
> BUT intermixed within all the closure announcements is this - "Child
support
> cases will be heard this afternoon. You must show up."
>
> I'll bet they are counting on a lot of no-shows so they can create default

January 7th 04, 05:07 PM
"Tracy" > wrote in message
> Bob,
>
> You are not totally correct. Government was not closed completely. The
> Governor's office was open, and so was many other government offices. My
> mother is a state employee. She works for the employment office downtown
> Salem. When she heard they delayed opening by two hours, she attempted to
> call in reporting she will not be in. Their phones were down. Some
courts
> were open for a short period of time. I even remember seeing a couple of
> school districts requiring their employees to report in although the
schools
> were closed.

My point was to illustrate that while the rest of the city/county were
shutting down and getting people safely home, the CS system was rigid,
arbitrary, and placed fathers in personal danger by forcing them to act
counter to the rest of the majority of citizens. They were just being
consistent with how they normally operate and I should have spelled that
out. I certainly wasn't talking about any areas 50 miles from here.

Bob Whiteside
January 7th 04, 05:07 PM
"Tracy" > wrote in message
> Bob,
>
> You are not totally correct. Government was not closed completely. The
> Governor's office was open, and so was many other government offices. My
> mother is a state employee. She works for the employment office downtown
> Salem. When she heard they delayed opening by two hours, she attempted to
> call in reporting she will not be in. Their phones were down. Some
courts
> were open for a short period of time. I even remember seeing a couple of
> school districts requiring their employees to report in although the
schools
> were closed.

My point was to illustrate that while the rest of the city/county were
shutting down and getting people safely home, the CS system was rigid,
arbitrary, and placed fathers in personal danger by forcing them to act
counter to the rest of the majority of citizens. They were just being
consistent with how they normally operate and I should have spelled that
out. I certainly wasn't talking about any areas 50 miles from here.

Tracy
January 7th 04, 07:12 PM
"Bob Whiteside" > wrote in message
hlink.net...

> "Tracy" > wrote in message
> > Bob,
> >
> > You are not totally correct. Government was not closed completely. The
> > Governor's office was open, and so was many other government offices.
My
> > mother is a state employee. She works for the employment office
downtown
> > Salem. When she heard they delayed opening by two hours, she attempted
> > call in reporting she will not be in. Their phones were down. Some
> courts
> > were open for a short period of time. I even remember seeing a couple
of
> > school districts requiring their employees to report in although the
> schools
> > were closed.
>
> My point was to illustrate that while the rest of the city/county were
> shutting down and getting people safely home, the CS system was rigid,
> arbitrary, and placed fathers in personal danger by forcing them to act
> counter to the rest of the majority of citizens. They were just being
> consistent with how they normally operate and I should have spelled that
> out. I certainly wasn't talking about any areas 50 miles from here.

50 miles from here? All Portland Government offices were opened from 10
am - 3 pm. Salem (which is 42 miles south) was receiving freezing rain from
11 am on... their roads were much worse than ours & Portland's. My mother
made it into work around noon (she called me last night). She worked until
3 pm, which was shortly after the Governor's office released everyone to go
home. Only some cities & counties had their offices closed, but all State
Government offices were opened yesterday. It wasn't *only* Child-Support
offices. My boyfriend doesn't live 50 miles away either. McMinnville is 10
times as worse as it is up here. I have the pictures to prove it. It was
not as horrible as you made it sound. That goes for both the weather & the
situation overall. Yesterday was drivable around here. Even my neighbor
across the street from me drove to work & home. I helped her shovel snow
off her driveway so she could pull her car into her garage yesterday. We
talked about the roads & driving at that time. She works for OHSU, which
isn't no 50 miles away either.

Today is another subject all together since we have at least 1 inch of solid
ice on top of the 3-24 inches of snow/sleet. I just read all State
Government offices are closed in Portland & Salem. The only State
Government offices opened along the I-5 corridor is Eugene's, but they are
in much better condition then we are.

As far as placing anyone in danger - I highly doubt if anyone was expected
to show up anywhere if they couldn't make it due to the weather. Do you
personally know anyone who is in trouble with the CS office because they
didn't drive into some hearing yesterday?

Tracy
~~~~~~~
> [...]

Today is another subject all together since we have at least 1 inch of solid
ice on top of the 3-24 inches of snow/sleet. I just read all State
Government offices are closed in Portland & Salem. The only State
Government offices opened along the I-5 corridor is Eugene's, but they are
in much better condition then we are.

As far as placing anyone in danger - I highly doubt if anyone was expected
to show up anywhere if they couldn't make it due to the weather. Do you
personally know anyone who is in trouble with the CS office because they
didn't drive into some hearing yesterday?

Tracy
~~~~~~~
http://www.hornschuch.net/tracy/
"You can't solve problems with the same
type of thinking that created them."
Albert Einstein

*** spamguard in place! to email me: tracy at hornschuch dot net ***

January 7th 04, 11:17 PM
"Tracy" > wrote in message

> As far as placing anyone in danger - I highly doubt if anyone was expected
> to show up anywhere if they couldn't make it due to the weather. Do you
> personally know anyone who is in trouble with the CS office because they
> didn't drive into some hearing yesterday?

I really don't think this is the kind of thing that should be in dispute. I
reported I heard on the radio afternoon cases scheduled to be heard before
the Multnomah County Circuit Court were canceled but CS cases scheduled to
be heard in the afternoon were going to go on as normal and people needed to
show up. I thought it was odd all court cases except CS cases were canceled
and that fact was announced during the radio closure information that was
broadcast starting around noon.

Bob Whiteside
January 7th 04, 11:17 PM
"Tracy" > wrote in message

> As far as placing anyone in danger - I highly doubt if anyone was expected
> to show up anywhere if they couldn't make it due to the weather. Do you
> personally know anyone who is in trouble with the CS office because they
> didn't drive into some hearing yesterday?

I really don't think this is the kind of thing that should be in dispute. I
reported I heard on the radio afternoon cases scheduled to be heard before
the Multnomah County Circuit Court were canceled but CS cases scheduled to
be heard in the afternoon were going to go on as normal and people needed to
show up. I thought it was odd all court cases except CS cases were canceled
and that fact was announced during the radio closure information that was
broadcast starting around noon.

Tracy
January 8th 04, 12:47 AM
"Bob Whiteside" > wrote in message
link.net...

> "Tracy" > wrote in message
>
> > As far as placing anyone in danger - I highly doubt if anyone was
expected
> > to show up anywhere if they couldn't make it due to the weather. Do you
> > personally know anyone who is in trouble with the CS office because they
> > didn't drive into some hearing yesterday?
>
> I really don't think this is the kind of thing that should be in dispute.
> reported I heard on the radio afternoon cases scheduled to be heard before
> the Multnomah County Circuit Court were canceled but CS cases scheduled to
> be heard in the afternoon were going to go on as normal and people needed
> show up. I thought it was odd all court cases except CS cases were
canceled
> and that fact was announced during the radio closure information that was
> broadcast starting around noon.

Two things...

1. you made it sound as if the only State Government function that was
opened was CS cases scheduled. Read your original post and the subject line
of this post. I will continue to dispute this with you.

2. I do believe Multnomah's county courts were closed yesterday around the
same time the city of Vancouver, other cities, and other counties, closed
their doors. In fact, most local & state government offices closed earlier
in Portland & throughout Multnomah county than any other city up and down
I-5. Eugene was hit harder than Salem. Salem was hit much harder than
Portland. Eugene's offices were closed by 3:15. Salem by 3:00.

So in truth - I would take anything reported from that radio station with a
grain of salt... I personally have been monitoring the closures throughout
the valley & Portland-metro area via news stations. I then received
verification from the several people I happened to have been speaking to
through the day & evening yesterday. In other words - what that station was
telling people was incorrect. Therefore - I highly doubt if any *father*
was punished because they couldn't drive to their scheduled court hearing
regarding child-support.

Today everything was closed. I suspect tomorrow morning they'll be closed
again. We may have some late opening in the cities south of us since their
roads are improving - but we're stuck until possibly Friday.

If anyone is curious what we've been faced with you can visit:
http://www.hornschuch.net/20040107/
I took the pictures while standing in my garage. Notice how shinny the
"snow" looks. Be careful... it isn't just snow. There is about 1 inch of
ice on top of 70% snow with 30% sleet. My driveway slops more than my
neighbor's. Today my youngest son and his friend was using my backyard to
slide on a sled. You can literally walk on snow without sinking into it.
Totally amazing - I've never experienced this before.

Tracy
~~~~~~~
> [...]

roads are improving - but we're stuck until possibly Friday.

If anyone is curious what we've been faced with you can visit:
http://www.hornschuch.net/20040107/
I took the pictures while standing in my garage. Notice how shinny the
"snow" looks. Be careful... it isn't just snow. There is about 1 inch of
ice on top of 70% snow with 30% sleet. My driveway slops more than my
neighbor's. Today my youngest son and his friend was using my backyard to
slide on a sled. You can literally walk on snow without sinking into it.
Totally amazing - I've never experienced this before.

Tracy
~~~~~~~
http://www.hornschuch.net/tracy/
"You can't solve problems with the same
type of thinking that created them."
Albert Einstein

*** spamguard in place! to email me: tracy at hornschuch dot net ***

January 8th 04, 04:35 AM
"Tracy" > wrote in message
> [...]
> was punished because they couldn't drive to their scheduled court hearing
> regarding child-support.
>
> Today everything was closed. I suspect tomorrow morning they'll be closed
> again. We may have some late opening in the cities south of us since
their
> roads are improving - but we're stuck until possibly Friday.
>
> If anyone is curious what we've been faced with you can visit:
> http://www.hornschuch.net/20040107/
> I took the pictures while standing in my garage. Notice how shinny the
> "snow" looks. Be careful... it isn't just snow. There is about 1 inch of
> ice on top of 70% snow with 30% sleet. My driveway slops more than my
> neighbor's. Today my youngest son and his friend was using my backyard to
> slide on a sled. You can literally walk on snow without sinking into it.
> Totally amazing - I've never experienced this before.
Great pics! Did your power go out? Unfortunately, those of us in the NE
experience
this almost every year. We even bought a power generator a couple months ago
due to all
the power outages we have (power hasn't gone out since, of course).

"Tracy" > wrote in message
> [...]
> neighbor's. Today my youngest son and his friend was using my backyard to
> slide on a sled. You can literally walk on snow without sinking into it.
> Totally amazing - I've never experienced this before.
==
Great pics! Did your power go out? Unfortunately, those of us in the NE
experience
this almost every year. We even bought a power generator a couple months ago
due to all
the power outages we have (power hasn't gone out since, of course).

> Tracy
> ~~~~~~~
> http://www.hornschuch.net/tracy/
> "You can't solve problems with the same
> type of thinking that created them."
> Albert Einstein
>
> *** spamguard in place! to email me: tracy at hornschuch dot net ***

January 8th 04, 05:21 AM
"Gini" > wrote in message

> "Tracy" > wrote in message
> > If anyone is curious what we've been faced with you can visit:
> > http://www.hornschuch.net/20040107/
> > I took the pictures while standing in my garage. Notice how shinny the
> > "snow" looks. Be careful... it isn't just snow. There is about 1 inch
of
> > ice on top of 70% snow with 30% sleet. My driveway slops more than my
> > neighbor's. Today my youngest son and his friend was using my backyard
> > slide on a sled. You can literally walk on snow without sinking into
it.
> > Totally amazing - I've never experienced this before.
> ==
> Great pics! Did your power go out? Unfortunately, those of us in the NE
> experience
> this almost every year. We even bought a power generator a couple months
ago
> due to all
> the power outages we have (power hasn't gone out since, of course).

Mine hasn't gone out [yet], but my mother has gone out several times today.
She power lines are right across the street from her. She has watched the
ice build up and throughout the day has watch the ice go "snap" as her
lights flickered off & on again. Reports are indicating more than 200,000
customers are without power in the NW currently. Of those they are quite a
few in her area. I'd hate to be one of those customers without power, since
there is no way I could drive into work. Fortunately this type of weather
doesn't happen that often here.

I personally won't miss this white stuff when it is gone. I like it, but
this latest blast is something I'm not use to. Last week we mainly had some
snow dustings, and one New Years day I ended up with 7 inches of snow. But
that snow didn't last long. That is what I'd rather deal with - here one
day & gone the next. We had little left before this latest and greatest
storm. :)

Now mind you - this stuff has to be gone, or drivable, by tomorrow night. I
have a nephew who is getting married Friday evening up near Seattle,
Washington. I haven't had the chance to purchase him a card. So I need to
go to the store for the card, and food for the person house & dog sitting
for me. Plus I need to make sure I have enough gas, not to mention grab
some cash from the bank for their gift. This will be the third wedding I've
attended in the last six months. Another amazement in my life. :)

Tracy
~~~~~~~

"Gini" > wrote in message

> "Tracy" > wrote in message
> > If anyone is curious what we've been faced with you can visit:
> > http://www.hornschuch.net/20040107/
> > I took the pictures while standing in my garage. Notice how shinny the
> > "snow" looks. Be careful... it isn't just snow. There is about 1 inch
of
> > ice on top of 70% snow with 30% sleet. My driveway slops more than my
> > neighbor's. Today my youngest son and his friend was using my backyard
> > slide on a sled. You can literally walk on snow without sinking into
it.
> > Totally amazing - I've never experienced this before.
> ==
> Great pics! Did your power go out? Unfortunately, those of us in the NE
> experience
> this almost every year. We even bought a power generator a couple months
ago
> due to all
> the power outages we have (power hasn't gone out since, of course).

Mine hasn't gone out [yet], but my mother has gone out several times today.
She power lines are right across the street from her. She has watched the
ice build up and throughout the day has watch the ice go "snap" as her
lights flickered off & on again. Reports are indicating more than 200,000
customers are without power in the NW currently. Of those they are quite a
few in her area. I'd hate to be one of those customers without power, since
there is no way I could drive into work. Fortunately this type of weather
doesn't happen that often here.

I personally won't miss this white stuff when it is gone. I like it, but
this latest blast is something I'm not use to. Last week we mainly had some
snow dustings, and one New Years day I ended up with 7 inches of snow. But
that snow didn't last long. That is what I'd rather deal with - here one
day & gone the next. We had little left before this latest and greatest
storm. :)

Now mind you - this stuff has to be gone, or drivable, by tomorrow night. I
have a nephew who is getting married Friday evening up near Seattle,
Washington. I haven't had the chance to purchase him a card. So I need to
go to the store for the card, and food for the person house & dog sitting
for me. Plus I need to make sure I have enough gas, not to mention grab
some cash from the bank for their gift. This will be the third wedding I've
attended in the last six months. Another amazement in my life. :)

Tracy
~~~~~~~
http://www.hornschuch.net/tracy/
"You can't solve problems with the same
type of thinking that created them."
Albert Einstein

*** spamguard in place! to email me: tracy at hornschuch dot net ***

Jon
January 9th 04, 03:23 AM
I would think that in the NE it would at least be handled with a little
professionalism. In the NW, the tree huggers rule, so we can't use any kind
of road salt. So we speard gravel and hope for warming. We get snow
rarely, but this freezing rain crap makes it real tough to get around.
Jon

Jon
January 9th 04, 03:23 AM
I would think that in the NE it would at least be handled with a little
professionalism. In the NW, the tree huggers rule, so we can't use any kind
of road salt. So we speard gravel and hope for warming. We get snow
rarely, but this freezing rain crap makes it real tough to get around.
Jon

Tracy
January 9th 04, 04:47 AM
"Jon" > wrote in message
> I would think that in the NE it would at least be handled with a little
> professionalism. In the NW, the tree huggers rule, so we can't use any
kind
> of road salt. So we speard gravel and hope for warming. We get snow
> rarely, but this freezing rain crap makes it real tough to get around.
> Jon

I personally like the picture on KGW of the little girl ice skating in her
neighbor's yard. ;-)

I'm so tired of this white stuff (it isn't just snow) I had to turn off the
news after hearing nothing but the words "freezing rain".

Tracy
~~~~~~~

"Jon" > wrote in message
> I would think that in the NE it would at least be handled with a little
> professionalism. In the NW, the tree huggers rule, so we can't use any
kind
> of road salt. So we speard gravel and hope for warming. We get snow
> rarely, but this freezing rain crap makes it real tough to get around.
> Jon

I personally like the picture on KGW of the little girl ice skating in her
neighbor's yard. ;-)

I'm so tired of this white stuff (it isn't just snow) I had to turn off the
news after hearing nothing but the words "freezing rain".

Tracy
~~~~~~~
http://www.hornschuch.net/tracy/
"You can't solve problems with the same
type of thinking that created them."
Albert Einstein

*** spamguard in place! to email me: tracy at hornschuch dot net ***

Mel Gamble
January 10th 04, 07:21 AM
It has it's positives - my daughter and I built a snowman down at my
other house....then we canoe'd down the driveway : ) (that was before
the ice hit...) With about 600 feet of driveway, I learned a long time
ago that predictions of snow make it good sense to park at the bottom
and walk up...that was after shoveling 18 inches from the whole thing in
'80...or was it '81? ...and then there was the winter of '90/'91 -
started out normal enough, then I got married in February (I think it
was February...) and went to Vancouver, BC for my 4th honeymoon and got
hit with nearly 2 feet of snow up there where "it never does this
here". It was 2 months later before the NW thawed out...

Nothing odd about the last week, other than being about 2 years behind
schedule...

Mel Gamble