PDA

View Full Version : Medicating a newborn

Lina
July 29th 03, 05:03 PM
oht...

What's the best way to medicate a newborn? The medicine is liquid, but she
tends to spit it all back out. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

--
Lina
EDD July 20th, 2003

Denise
July 29th 03, 06:10 PM
"Lina" > wrote in message
rs.com...
> oht...
>
> What's the best way to medicate a newborn? The medicine is liquid, but she
> tends to spit it all back out. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Is it the Zantac? I still have a hard time getting it in my daughter's
mouth and she's been on it for 3 years :( What worked best as an infant was
when I was getting ready to feed her, right before I nursed her or gave her
a bottle, while she was in position, I put the syringe in the side of her
mouth (kinda towards her cheek) and then blew on her face to make her
swallow. We now call this the fish procedure.

James and Karen Stewart
July 29th 03, 06:32 PM
give her very little at a time, maybe followed by some formula or water to
get it down

My kids always were good at taking medicine
Karen
"Lina" > wrote in message
rs.com...
> oht...
>
> What's the best way to medicate a newborn? The medicine is liquid, but she
> tends to spit it all back out. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
>
> --
> Lina
> EDD July 20th, 2003

iphigenia
July 29th 03, 07:15 PM
Lina wrote:
>> What's the best way to medicate a newborn? The medicine is liquid,
>> but she tends to spit it all back out. Any tips would be greatly
>> appreciated.

Try squishing her cheeks together a little bit - makes it harder to spit it
out. Also, if you can put the dropper in the back of her mouth on the side
(like between the gums and inside of the cheek) she'll have a harder time
pushing it out with her tongue.

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Iuil
July 29th 03, 07:43 PM
"Denise" wrote
> > What's the best way to medicate a newborn? The medicine is liquid, but
she
> > tends to spit it all back out. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
> >

> Is it the Zantac?

If it's Zantac, the only thing that worked for us was to put the dose into
20-30ml of ebm. DD would then take it quite happily from a syringe, spoon
or cup.

Jean

--
"And he said:
Your children are not your children. They are the sons and daughters of
Life's longing for itself. They come through you but not from you, and
though they are with you, yet they belong not to you." Khalil Gibran

Return address is unread. Replies to <firstnamelastname> @eircom.net.

Jan Silbermann
July 29th 03, 08:05 PM
In article >,
iphigenia > wrote:
>Lina wrote:
>>> What's the best way to medicate a newborn? The medicine is liquid,
>>> but she tends to spit it all back out. Any tips would be greatly
>>> appreciated.

try getting a really THIN syringe (like the kind
they use for shots) It takes longer, but it
is easier.

Jan
Tovah 13
Eliana 11
Asher 8
David 5
Shoshana 3

joy
July 29th 03, 08:18 PM
try with plastic parto of inection i got it with sumamed and it works my son
is now 4 years and I have no problems with an liquid medication anymore
Petra
"iphigenia" > wrote in message
> Lina wrote:
> >> What's the best way to medicate a newborn? The medicine is liquid,
> >> but she tends to spit it all back out. Any tips would be greatly
> >> appreciated.
>
> Try squishing her cheeks together a little bit - makes it harder to spit
it
> out. Also, if you can put the dropper in the back of her mouth on the side
> (like between the gums and inside of the cheek) she'll have a harder time
> pushing it out with her tongue.
>
> --
> iphigenia
> www.tristyn.net

H Schinske
July 29th 03, 08:50 PM
Lina ) wrote:

>What's the best way to medicate a newborn? The medicine is liquid, but she
>tends to spit it all back out. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I always just did it the quick, mean way :-)
Put the syringe far back in the mouth, squirt the dose in, and then hold the
mouth shut until the dose is swallowed.

--Helen

RuggyKurtz
July 29th 03, 09:16 PM
>Lina ) wrote:
>>
>>What's the best way to medicate a newborn? The medicine is liquid, but she
>>tends to spit it all back out. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
>
>I always just did it the quick, mean way :-)
>Put the syringe far back in the mouth, squirt the dose in, and then hold the
>mouth shut until the dose is swallowed.
>
>--Helen

Yeah, we had to do it Helen's way too.

Brandy

Daye
July 29th 03, 09:16 PM
On 29 Jul 2003 19:50:52 GMT, (H Schinske) wrote:

>Put the syringe far back in the mouth, squirt the dose in, and then hold the
>mouth shut until the dose is swallowed.

What about choking? I would be afraid to do it that way because I
would be afraid that it would choke the baby.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan

Truffles
July 29th 03, 09:18 PM
H Schinske wrote:

> I always just did it the quick, mean way :-)
> Put the syringe far back in the mouth, squirt the dose in, and then hold the
> mouth shut until the dose is swallowed.

Ditto. Except I would also stroke the throat to encourage swallowing.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Rosalie B.
July 29th 03, 10:20 PM
x-no-archive:yes Daye > wrote:

>On 29 Jul 2003 19:50:52 GMT, (H Schinske) wrote:
>
>>Put the syringe far back in the mouth, squirt the dose in, and then hold the
>>mouth shut until the dose is swallowed.
>
>What about choking? I would be afraid to do it that way because I
>would be afraid that it would choke the baby.

My babies managed to survive my breast squirting milk out at high
pressure into their mouths when my milk let down, so I wouldn't think
a little syringe would be a problem. They would choke a bit sometimes
at the beginning before they got settled in (if they weren't there to
receive it- it would go across the room), but they would continue in
spite of anything (if they wanted to) including a case of the
hiccough.

In any case, you are right there and can deal with it if it IS a
problem.

grandma Rosalie

Bippy
July 30th 03, 02:35 AM
"Lina" > wrote in message
rs.com...
| oht...
|
| What's the best way to medicate a newborn? The medicine is liquid,
but she
| tends to spit it all back out. Any tips would be greatly
appreciated.

Having to give my daughter propranolol 4x a day, I feel like a pro at
this. ;-)

Wash your hands well, let her suck on your left index finger. Get a as
a thin syringe as you can find/buy (mine is a 1cc syringe) and with
your right hand (if you're right-handed) slip it in her mouth beside
your finger, releasing the medicine slowly. Having it beside your
index finger ensures you don't insert it too far back in her mouth,
and while she's sucking on your finger, she's swallowing the medicine.
This has worked well for me. I usually give her a milk "chaser" to
wash the taste out of her mouth (it's best taken with milk anyway).

If your DD still spits it out, you might mix it with a tiny bit of
formula or EBM for a while, and give it to her in a bottle, but I
would personally keep trying to get her to take it "straight" so she
gets used to it (if it is to be a long-term medication). Lower
maintenance that way.

Best wishes,
Bip

Nikki
July 30th 03, 03:48 AM
Lina wrote:
> oht...
>
> What's the best way to medicate a newborn? The medicine is liquid,
> but she tends to spit it all back out. Any tips would be greatly
> appreciated.

I had luck by giving it *while* breastfeeding. I just slipped the syringe
in while the baby was suckling and squirted tiny amounts in and the baby was
none the wiser. I don't know if that would work with a bottle or not? If
they had to be given on an empty stomach that would be a problem as well.
When that didn't work I resorted to bully tactics that have already been
described ;-)

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)