PDA

View Full Version : Bedtime destruction-Xpost

Kender
July 30th 03, 04:09 AM
HELP!
My three year old is a terror at nap and bedtime. He used to be such a sweet
child and now, holy cow. He's destroying his room. The only thing he has in
there are windows, a bed, a bookcase, a dresser and two fans, as it is very
hot here in the Pacific NW.

In regards to the window:
He has completely ripped his roller shades to bits. I think there's more
duct tape on them then there is plastic left.
He has ripped out the screen on one. (The screens are on the inside, old
house!)
He has broken his curtain rod several times.
He has drawn on the molding around the windows by scratching with the metal
prongs from the plug of his fan.

Bookcase:
He has pulled it over (small bookcase only 3 feet high). Don't worry it's
now screwed to the wall.
He has ripped ALL the pages out of 2 board books. One was a library book,
sigh.
He rips all books somewhat therefore no more books, just empty shelves
screwed to the wall.

Bed:
He has round knobs on the 4 corners of his bed firmly glued in place, yet he
has removed three of said knobs.
He drew on the footboard of his bed with the above mentioned plug prongs.

Dresser:
For some reason the only problems we've had is him changing his clothes
during nap. No real problem there.

Fans:
He keeps unplugging them and turning them off. They are plugged into an
extension cord because the outlet is far away from the window (window fan).
We had wrapped electrical tape around the plugs to keep them in the
extension cord but as you can see from the drawings mentioned above he just
unwrapped it.

Remarkably there is a closet filled with stuff including my clothes and
storage that he hasn't been in (to the best of my knowledge). I guess I
should lock it as he's running out of damage to do.

Also he keeps coming out of his room, at least 20 or more times every nap
and bedtime. Tonight I finally put a lock on the outside of his door, but it
made me feel really crappy. I don't like locking him in especially since
he's so destructive.

I take away privileges when he does something destructive to his room. I
take away dessert after dinner, storytime before bed, or his fireman sheets
that he likes come off the bed. I am running out of ideas since it's not
working. Any suggestions welcome for either the destructive behavior or how
to get him to stay in his room.

I am considering putting toys in his room so he will have something else to
focus on at quiet/nap time, but I am afraid of the damage he will be able to
cause to/with them. I also feel this is a privilege he needs to earn. We
have told him when he stops wrecking his room he can have toys up there but
maybe it's too much to ask. Maybe the toys will keep him from wrecking
things?

He does actually take naps about three days a week and goes to bed after
about an hour but it's definitely getting longer. Last night it was three
hours before he fell asleep. Tonight we're at 1.5 hours.
Thanks.
--
Erin
Morgan and Megan 2/15/97

toto
July 30th 03, 04:59 AM
On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 03:09:16 GMT, "Kender" >
wrote:

>HELP!
>My three year old is a terror at nap and bedtime. He used
>to be such a sweet child and now, holy cow. He's destroying
>his room. The only thing he has in there are windows, a bed,
>a bookcase, a dresser and two fans, as it is very hot here in
>the Pacific NW.

What has changed in his life recently? In general something like
this doesn't appear out of the blue without any reason for it.

<snip description of destruction in his room>

>Also he keeps coming out of his room, at least 20 or more
>times every nap and bedtime. Tonight I finally put a lock on
>the outside of his door, but it made me feel really crappy. I
>don't like locking him in especially since he's so destructive.

Time to change your naptime routine.

Can you sit with him and read a story, then put on some
music and rub his back?

At three, if he is not tired and you want a quiet time, you need
to give him something he can do by himself. Perhaps a book
on tape would keep his interest if quiet music doesn't work.

Does he have a comfort item that he can take to bed?

Can you rearrange his schedule so the nap time is either
earlier or later and do the same with bedtime?

Does he wake haturally at the time he needs to be up or does
he need to be awakened in the morning? If he needs to be
awakened, consider trying to allow him to sleep until you find
out his natural sleep needs (8 hours, 10 hours, or some other
number). Once you know that number, you can attempt to
move the schedule so that he goes to sleep in time to wake
up naturally though you will have to do this very gradually.

>I take away privileges when he does something destructive to
>his room. I take away dessert after dinner, storytime before bed,
>or his fireman sheets that he likes come off the bed. I am running
>out of ideas since it's not working. Any suggestions welcome for
>either the destructive behavior or how to get him to stay in his room.

Of course this doesn't work. Punishment almost never does work
even when you think it is working (usually when you think it works,
it is because that single behavior stops, but the child has
substituted some other behavior for it that doesn't help and the
punishment cycle continues)

Find out what is going on that is causing the behavior. It seems
likely that he is not tired and that the room is boring when he is
not ready to sleep. Does he generally destroy his toys? If not,
then I would say he needs something to play with in his room. I
would try to make it something he is likely to play quietly with so
that he may go to sleep with it, but anything he really likes and
plays well with is good. If he has something really special he likes
to play with, try that.

If the behavior is because he needs to explore taking things
apart, then get him some things he can take apart during playtime
and emphasize that these are things that are ok to take apart.
Then try to help him learn how to put them together too. Get some
simple kits that don't require too much fine motor skills and *make
things*

>I am considering putting toys in his room so he will have
>something else to focus on at quiet/nap time, but I am afraid
>of the damage he will be able to cause to/with them. I also
>feel this is a privilege he needs to earn. We have told him
>when he stops wrecking his room he can have toys up there
>but maybe it's too much to ask. Maybe the toys will keep him
>from wrecking things?

Why in the world is it a privilege he has to earn to have toys in
his own room. I guess we always had toys in our rooms when
I was growing up, in fact that was where most of the toys were
kept.

At any rate, if he plays well with toys in your other rooms, I see
no reason to not allow them in his room, just keep it to ones he
is not destructive with.

Also teach him *how* to play with toys without destroying things
by playing with him. Play games that encourage him to learn
how to build and to put things together. Play games that control
destructiveness. Allow him to tear paper and then make a collage
for example so that he gets the idea of how to use his urge to
tear things up. Make distinctions for him when you talk to him
about things that are fun and ok to tear and things that are not.
Give him a roll of masking tape for example and let him tear off
pieces and put it on paper, then let him color on it with crayons
or paint it to make a design. You can actually make a vase by
tearing tape ane putting it all over a plastic bottle and then having
him color that. He might enjoy having a vase of his own for a
flower or two in his room.

Since it sounds as if his sleep needs are decreasing, he may
be ready to give up his nap. If you want a quiet time during the
afternoon, perhaps you should consider a special video time
and let him stay on the couch to watch it instead of putting him
in his room to nap.

Be creative.

>He does actually take naps about three days a week and
>goes to bed after about an hour but it's definitely getting longer.
>Last night it was three hours before he fell asleep. Tonight we're
>at 1.5 hours.

It sounds as if his sleep needs are simply getting shorter. You
may want to eliminate the nap time or make it very short - perhaps
an hour or so.

>Thanks.

Good luck.

--
Dorothy

Outer Limits

toypup
July 30th 03, 05:53 AM
"Kender" > wrote in message
> HELP!
> My three year old is a terror at nap and bedtime. He used to be such a
sweet
> child and now, holy cow. He's destroying his room. The only thing he has
in
> there are windows, a bed, a bookcase, a dresser and two fans, as it is
very
> hot here in the Pacific NW.

The only thing DS has within reach is his mattress, which is surrounded by
two Superyard XT's hooked together.

> In regards to the window:
> He has completely ripped his roller shades to bits. I think there's more
> duct tape on them then there is plastic left.
> He has ripped out the screen on one. (The screens are on the inside, old
> house!)
> He has broken his curtain rod several times.

Put the mattress surrounded by Superyard XT away from the windows.

> He has drawn on the molding around the windows by scratching with the
metal
> prongs from the plug of his fan.

The fan is a safety hazard. I put one in DS's room, but it is out of reach,
away from his coral.

> Bed:
> He has round knobs on the 4 corners of his bed firmly glued in place, yet
he
> has removed three of said knobs.

Leave them off until he becomes less destructive.

> He drew on the footboard of his bed with the above mentioned plug prongs.

Get rid of the fan. It's a safety hazard.

> Fans:
> He keeps unplugging them and turning them off. They are plugged into an
> extension cord because the outlet is far away from the window (window
fan).
> We had wrapped electrical tape around the plugs to keep them in the
> extension cord but as you can see from the drawings mentioned above he
just
> unwrapped it.

That is why it's a safety hazard. He may begin practicing plugging it in
and plugging other things in, throwing things in the fan, etc.
Electrocution hazard, flying objects hazard, cutting off fingers hazard.

> Also he keeps coming out of his room, at least 20 or more times every nap
> and bedtime. Tonight I finally put a lock on the outside of his door, but
it
> made me feel really crappy. I don't like locking him in especially since
> he's so destructive.

Superyard XT does wonders. DS just went through a short phase of calling
for me every five minutes at bedtime. The phase came on suddenly, but I had
to figure out what to do. Finally, I decided to do what everyone else here
recommends. I just walked in, put him in bed and left, over and over. No
talking or anything. He finally tired of it and just went to sleep. At
first, it took an hour. I pretty much camped outside his door. The next
day, it was miraculously only half an hour. That was a few days ago.
Tonight, he's only called me once.

> I take away privileges when he does something destructive to his room. I
> take away dessert after dinner, storytime before bed, or his fireman
sheets
> that he likes come off the bed. I am running out of ideas since it's not
> working. Any suggestions welcome for either the destructive behavior or
how
> to get him to stay in his room.

Superyard XT takes care of both problems.

> He does actually take naps about three days a week and goes to bed after
> about an hour but it's definitely getting longer. Last night it was three
> hours before he fell asleep. Tonight we're at 1.5 hours.
> Thanks.

How long does he sleep when he naps? If he doesn't sleep long, I'd cut it
out. He may not be sleepy enough to nap. Maybe then you'd have better luck
getting him to fall asleep at bedtime. Good luck.

Leslie
July 30th 03, 06:23 AM
"Kender" > wrote in message
> HELP!
> My three year old is a terror at nap and bedtime. He used to be such a
sweet
> child and now, holy cow.

Isn't that crazy?! Mine seemed like angels at two compared to how they are
now at three.

He's destroying his room. The only thing he has in
> there are windows, a bed, a bookcase, a dresser and two fans, as it is
very
> hot here in the Pacific NW.

I have finally gotten the boys' room to the point where most everything is
attached. They have their beds with drawers underneath that can roll, but
not a big deal. I built in a long bench, two corner cupboards and shelves
which are all attached to studs with 3 1/2 inch screws. Nothing can be
moved! Their dresser and clothes are in my room and their closet full of
storage right now is locked.
It has been hot. It was 110 here yesterday and 106 today. Tomorrow is
supposed to *only* be 103. LOL Fans are a necessity even with air
conditioning. Actually we have a swamp cooler since I'm in the desert land
of Eastern WA. Some day I'll add central air, but that's a little beyond my
budget right now.

[...]

> I am considering putting toys in his room so he will have something else
> focus on at quiet/nap time, but I am afraid of the damage he will be able
> cause to/with them. I also feel this is a privilege he needs to earn. We
> have told him when he stops wrecking his room he can have toys up there
but
> maybe it's too much to ask. Maybe the toys will keep him from wrecking
> things?

Maybe what you could do is give him a couple toys in there and let him know
that he can add another one every time he's not destructive. Of course
having toys might extend the time it takes him to go to sleep, but it might
keep his attention better. I can't imagine not having toys in the kids'
room, but that's because if they're not there, they seem to take over the
entire house.

I hope this is only a short lived stage, Erin. Were your girls like this at
three?

Leslie
Alex and Jordan, 06 May 2000

Beth Kevles
July 30th 03, 03:05 PM
HI -

The behavior issue I can't speak to. It sounds as though something else
is going on that you need to ferret out.

But not napping or taking a long time to go to sleep ... when my 2nd son
was three we had to eliminate naptime. If I needed quiet he got to
watch TV for an hour (which was sufficient rest for him actually. AN
there ar great kid shows on in the mid-afternoon.) Life improved
immediately on the elimination of the nap.

Just my experience,
--Beth Kevles

David&Wendy
July 30th 03, 03:51 PM
eliminate nap time for him give him a rest time for 1 hour during the day.
works wonders if he is not tired don't insist on nap time cause they will
just fight you on it. My son stopped taking naps at 2 1/2 but went to bed
early at 7 30 slept til 7 next morning now he puts himself to bed at 8 pm
and wakes up at 6 he is 10 i have been trying to keep him up but he
refuses.. weird child i call him ( he laughs at me for saying it to him)..
Best of luck anyhow!!
wendy
mom of 4 now!!

"Kender" > wrote in message
> [...]
> that he likes come off the bed. I am running out of ideas since it's not
> working. Any suggestions welcome for either the destructive behavior or
how
> to get him to stay in his room.
>
> I am considering putting toys in his room so he will have something else
> focus on at quiet/nap time, but I am afraid of the damage he will be able
> cause to/with them. I also feel this is a privilege he needs to earn. We
> have told him when he stops wrecking his room he can have toys up there
but
> maybe it's too much to ask. Maybe the toys will keep him from wrecking
> things?
>
> He does actually take naps about three days a week and goes to bed after
> about an hour but it's definitely getting longer. Last night it was three
> hours before he fell asleep. Tonight we're at 1.5 hours.

dragonlady
July 30th 03, 03:56 PM
In article >,
"David&Wendy" > wrote:

> eliminate nap time for him give him a rest time for 1 hour during the day.
> works wonders if he is not tired don't insist on nap time cause they will
> just fight you on it. My son stopped taking naps at 2 1/2 but went to bed
> early at 7 30 slept til 7 next morning now he puts himself to bed at 8 pm
> and wakes up at 6 he is 10 i have been trying to keep him up but he
> refuses.. weird child i call him ( he laughs at me for saying it to him)..
> Best of luck anyhow!!
> wendy
> mom of 4 now!!

Enjoy it. My 17 yo son is STILL an early riser. He may stay up late
sometimes, but he's usually the first one up in the morning.

The only problem is that his twin sister is a night owl -- though they
are now old enough so *I* don't have to be up with them, during the
summer when they set their own schedules completely I still feel like
I'm back in their infancy in some ways, with his sister up until 3 or 4
in the morning, and him up by 7!

meh

Kender
July 30th 03, 04:56 PM
Thanks so much for all your ideas and support.

I've decided to give Evan back his books but no library books. I put some
toys in there last night. Thanks Dorothy. Of course he doesn't need to earn
them. I just got in a power struggle and didn't realize it. I put the girls
dollhouse and accessories (he loves it, they are bored with it) and a fire
truck and some puzzles. I need to work out a new situation for the fan. I'm
not sure how. It was 100 degrees yesterday and his room has no good
positioning for fans. Maybe we can build a shelf. I wish I could move his
bed away from the windows but his room is really small, about 7 feet by 20
feet! It used to be an old sleeping porch back in 1913. The garbage bags may
be needed on his windows but Evan's on the second floor! Bed knobs are
staying off. I think I'll pass on the bullet or brandy suggestion.

This all started when he was moved out of his crib in February. He has just
gotten braver and more daring each day. It really got bad in May when he was
potty trained and allowed to leave his room to use the bathroom. My girls
were never like this! Maybe a ripped book or two but that was the extent of
it. We had a doorknob cover on the inside of their room room but Evan
figured out how to take his off right away, hence the lock on the outside. I
think I will use this from time to time but I will try to not make it a
habit. It's reassuring that some of you contain your kids too, just in
different ways. Evan would definitely figure out a superyard. He's a
climber.

When he does fall asleep I can get two hours out of him. He already goes to
bed at 7:30 so I can't imagine moving up his bedtime. Anyway, thanks for all
the suggestions. Keep them coming if you have any more and I will update you
on how the toys go. Too bad Janet is in France. Her kids always seem to be
into the same things as mine. I guess you're there too Ellen!

--
Erin
Morgan and Megan 2/15/97
"Kender" > wrote in message
> [...]
> that he likes come off the bed. I am running out of ideas since it's not
> working. Any suggestions welcome for either the destructive behavior or
how
> to get him to stay in his room.
>
> I am considering putting toys in his room so he will have something else
> focus on at quiet/nap time, but I am afraid of the damage he will be able
> cause to/with them. I also feel this is a privilege he needs to earn. We
> have told him when he stops wrecking his room he can have toys up there
but
> maybe it's too much to ask. Maybe the toys will keep him from wrecking
> things?
>
> He does actually take naps about three days a week and goes to bed after
> about an hour but it's definitely getting longer. Last night it was three
> hours before he fell asleep. Tonight we're at 1.5 hours.

Nikki
July 30th 03, 05:05 PM
Kender wrote:
> HELP!
> My three year old is a terror at nap and bedtime. He used to be such
> a sweet child and now, holy cow. He's destroying his room.

I'd try eliminating nap time and see if he'd lay on the couch and watch
cartoons or a movie instead. Then the bedtime could be moved up a tad to
allow him more sleep. If my youngest gets too tired at night he becomes Mr.
Destructo. If you eliminate nap and move bed time up you might catch him
before he hits the bouncing off the walls stage.

I'd remove things like books and put toys in his room that are soft.
Stuffed animals, cool blankets - maybe a tent, cars made out of material,
sponge balls. I think he is to young to understand the earning toys for his
room thing. He might understand removing them if he treats them poorly but
I'm not sure he'd get good behavior = getting toys. Add interesting things
to the ceiling that he can look at. Glow in the dark stars, airplanes
perhaps. Things to make it a nice place but that he can't get at. You
could actually make a toy that has various buckles, plugs, mazes, etc. and
put it on plywood and bolt it to the floor/wall so he couldn't throw it
around. You can remove all the window coverings and put a wallpaper boarder
or paint around the window so it doesn't look so bare. People will be able
to see in but what the heck ;-) I suppose you could cover the outside of
the glass with some kind of tint. I'd lock the closet now, Lol.

> I take away privileges when he does something destructive to his
> room. I take away dessert after dinner, storytime before bed, or his
> fireman sheets that he likes come off the bed.

Hunter would not have made the connection with those at three. I think some
immediate action would be better.

I lay with mine until they fall asleep. That works great by the way but be
prepared to do it for the long haul since most kids really like that and
loath to give it up. If not that I would just take him back to bed every
time he got up and do some serious burning off of energy during the day for
the next couple of weeks hoping he is so tired at night he starts a new
routine of just falling over in bed from exhaustion. It sounds like he has
energy to spare. Going swimming, to the park, being outside all day,
running in the sprinkler, going to the zoo, building things, playing ball,
pounding and painting outside, etc. are all things we do to help ours fall
asleep quickly and easily. The downside to that is that the hours between
supper and bed need to be really super kid focused or there are meltdowns.
They fall asleep fast though so it might be worth a try for a couple weeks
just to break the cycle of destruction.

Good luck

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

dejablues
July 30th 03, 11:52 PM
100 degrees, that's enough to make anyone nuts. Is an air-conditioner out of
the question?

"Kender" > wrote in message
> [...]
> > working. Any suggestions welcome for either the destructive behavior or
> how
> > to get him to stay in his room.
> >
> > I am considering putting toys in his room so he will have something else
> > focus on at quiet/nap time, but I am afraid of the damage he will be
able
> > cause to/with them. I also feel this is a privilege he needs to earn. We
> > have told him when he stops wrecking his room he can have toys up there
> but
> > maybe it's too much to ask. Maybe the toys will keep him from wrecking
> > things?
> >
> > He does actually take naps about three days a week and goes to bed after
> > about an hour but it's definitely getting longer. Last night it was
three
> > hours before he fell asleep. Tonight we're at 1.5 hours.

Kender
July 31st 03, 12:54 AM
We have a window air conditioner downstairs in the kitchen. There's no way
one window air conditioner can cool the entire upstairs (we can't afford a
whole house air conditioner or more then one window one) so we just all have
window fans and regular fans. 2 per room! It's crazy. In the past we have
rarely used the window air conditioner. This is the hottest summer we've
had. Usually we average 11 days over 90 degrees for the entire summer but so
far we are on day 14 over 90 and it's not even August! It's cooling down to
97 today!
--
Erin
Morgan and Megan 2/15/97

"dejablues" > wrote in message
> [...]
> > > to get him to stay in his room.
> > >
> > > I am considering putting toys in his room so he will have something
else
> > > focus on at quiet/nap time, but I am afraid of the damage he will be
> able
> > > cause to/with them. I also feel this is a privilege he needs to earn.
We
> > > have told him when he stops wrecking his room he can have toys up
there
> > but
> > > maybe it's too much to ask. Maybe the toys will keep him from wrecking
> > > things?
> > >
> > > He does actually take naps about three days a week and goes to bed
after
> > > about an hour but it's definitely getting longer. Last night it was
> three
> > > hours before he fell asleep. Tonight we're at 1.5 hours.

dejablues
July 31st 03, 01:36 AM
We have a window AC in the upstairs, none downstairs. Downstairs has been
mostly bearable (a week or so of 95+ degree weather, plus it gets pretty
humid here), but our house is a Cape and the upstairs bedrooms are like an
attic...it would be just impossible to sleep here. We run a window fan
upstairs during the day (DH got this huge industrial window fan from work, I
swear it is like a wind tunnel ..no one is here anyway, we both work and
kids are at Camp Grandma for the summer) but we need the AC to sleep.
I'm sorry you are suffering out there! :-(

"Kender" > wrote in message
> [...]
> outside.
> > > think I will use this from time to time but I will try to not make it
> > > habit. It's reassuring that some of you contain your kids too, just in
> > > different ways. Evan would definitely figure out a superyard. He's a
> > > climber.
> > >
> > > When he does fall asleep I can get two hours out of him. He already
goes
> > > bed at 7:30 so I can't imagine moving up his bedtime. Anyway, thanks
for
> > all
> > > the suggestions. Keep them coming if you have any more and I will
update
> > you
> > > on how the toys go. Too bad Janet is in France. Her kids always seem
> be
> > > into the same things as mine. I guess you're there too Ellen!

Rosalie B.
July 31st 03, 03:32 AM
x-no-archive:yes
"Kender" > wrote:

>It's funny but I feel bad putting the window AC in our room and letting the
>kids suffer. Who do I choose? Do you pull the air in during the day or push
>it out with your industrial fan? We close everything up at 8am and open it
>all at 8pm. I grew up without AC but it's just so much more uncomfortable
>when you get older. I just tell myself I'm sweating off the pounds! : )

We moved to this old wooden house in 1973 and it was almost 30 years
before we got A/C. We have big old trees, and high ceilings
downstairs and a wrap-around porch. We also put in a big attic fan
which pulls air through the house pretty well. (Pushing air is
ineffective for ventilation. Axial fans (the kind in most homes which
have a propeller like action and blow air) are not the most efficient
way to ventilate.

What we would do is open the windows upstairs at night and shut off
the downstairs. The rooms that are in use have an ordinary fan in one
window pulling air in - helping the attic fan which is exhausting the
air out. The fans would run all night cooling the upstairs.

Then early in the morning, pull the shades on the sunny side of the
house and close the windows on that side. Close other windows
upstairs of rooms not in use, Open windows on north side and on the
side shaded by another building. Draw all blinds except the windows
that are open. Keep running the attic fan. The upstairs will warm
up, but the downstairs will stay fairly cool, especially in the family
room where we also have a ceiling fan.

We don't usually have more than 4 -9 days a year where it is
unbearable during the day, and then the fan cools off the house at
night. Increasing the insulation helps too - it isn't just keeping
out the cold that insulation does -- it keeps out the heat too.

You need to realize that if the air temp is over about 95 deg F,
blowing air on you will not cool you off, as you are blowing hot air
onto yourself. I used to put 2 liter bottles of water (used soda
bottles not quite full) in the freezer, and then hold them or let the
air blow over them. I didn't have A/C in my car either, so I'd put a
couple of them in the cooler in the back seat and hold one of them on
my lap as I drove.

Also people that are acclimatized to the heat will withstand it
better.

Lukewarm baths or showers (not hot and NOT cold) do best to cool a
person off. So if I was really hot, I'd go stick my hands and feet
under a faucet.

Now we have a single room A/C for our room, but of course by now the
kids are out of the house. But we don't have an A/C for the boat, and
don't intend to get one.

If it is too hot during the day, you can go somewhere that they have
A/C. The choice used to be movie theatres. Now it is the library or
the mall. If you have the A/C in your bedroom, you can spend the day
there if you need to.

Actually, if you HAD TO, you could all sleep in one A/C room. There's
nothing wrong with having the kids sleep on the floor for a couple of
nights.

grandma Rosalie

toypup
July 31st 03, 04:09 AM
"Rosalie B." > wrote in message
> Then early in the morning, pull the shades on the sunny side of the
> house and close the windows on that side. Close other windows
> upstairs of rooms not in use, Open windows on north side and on the
> side shaded by another building. Draw all blinds except the windows
> that are open. Keep running the attic fan. The upstairs will warm
> up, but the downstairs will stay fairly cool, especially in the family
> room where we also have a ceiling fan.

Yeah, the original AC was ice in front of a fan, so you could put the frozen
bottles in front of a fan for a makeshift AC.

dejablues
July 31st 03, 04:20 AM
We use the big fan to pull out the hot air during the day... When the sun
goes down we reverse it to pull the cool air in. It can get downright chilly
then. OS sleeps downstairs so he is ok at night, the younger two can camp in
here in sleeping bags on the floor (or downstairs with OS) if it is just
too hot in their room, but it hasn't come to that yet. This summer has been
pretty cool here so far, which is kind of unusual for the Philly area. Many
summers there are reports of people dying from the heat here, but I haven't
heard of any yet this year. I remember sleeping in my parents room on the
floor when I was a kid. :-)
I guess we put the AC in our room because hubby works in a foundry all day
(he's an assistant to sculptor who casts in bronze).
Since no one is home here during the day, we really don't need the AC down
there. I try not to cook indoors too!

"Kender" > wrote in message
> [...]
> > I'm sorry you are suffering out there! :-(
> >

> > "Kender" > wrote in message
> > > We have a window air conditioner downstairs in the kitchen. There's no
> way
> > > one window air conditioner can cool the entire upstairs (we can't
afford
> > > whole house air conditioner or more then one window one) so we just
all
> > have
> > > window fans and regular fans. 2 per room! It's crazy. In the past we
> have
> > > rarely used the window air conditioner. This is the hottest summer
we've
> > > had. Usually we average 11 days over 90 degrees for the entire summer
> but
> > so
> > > far we are on day 14 over 90 and it's not even August! It's cooling

Kender
July 31st 03, 04:23 AM
"toypup" > wrote in message

> "Rosalie B." > wrote in message
> > Then early in the morning, pull the shades on the sunny side of the
> > house and close the windows on that side. Close other windows
> > upstairs of rooms not in use, Open windows on north side and on the
> > side shaded by another building. Draw all blinds except the windows
> > that are open. Keep running the attic fan. The upstairs will warm
> > up, but the downstairs will stay fairly cool, especially in the family
> > room where we also have a ceiling fan.
>
> Yeah, the original AC was ice in front of a fan, so you could put the
frozen
> bottles in front of a fan for a makeshift AC.

Great suggestion. I will put some large soda bottles in the freezer tonight
and try it!
Thanks,
Erin

Banty
July 31st 03, 04:33 AM
In article >, Rosalie says...

>Actually, if you HAD TO, you could all sleep in one A/C room. There's
>nothing wrong with having the kids sleep on the floor for a couple of
>nights.
>
>grandma Rosalie

I was waiting for it - I knew Rosalie was too practical to leave this option
out. :-)

This is the nighttime hot weather strategy in my house, and in the homes of many
families I know.

Banty

Nikki
August 1st 03, 04:56 AM
Kender wrote:
> It's funny but I feel bad putting the window AC in our room and
> letting the kids suffer. Who do I choose?

In a similar situation last summer we chose to all sleep in the living room
:-) Our window AC was downstairs. The upstairs was bearable only when it
cooled down at night. During the weeks when it was hot day and night we
couldn't stand it.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Chookie
August 1st 03, 10:22 AM
In article <6VRVa.19701$Ho3.3797@sccrnsc03>,
"Kender" > wrote:

> I need to work out a new situation for the fan. I'm
> not sure how. It was 100 degrees yesterday and his room has no good
> positioning for fans.

A ceiling fan? You can get them with a light fitting built in to the centre,
and if your area is hot and sticky, moving air is really the best way to cool
down.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990

Tracy Cramer
August 1st 03, 05:25 PM
On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 15:56:50 GMT, "Kender" > wrote:

>This all started when he was moved out of his crib in February. He has just
>gotten braver and more daring each day.

I wonder if it's not something with kids born around that same time? My youngest
turned 3 on 4/15 and is Ms. Destructo. She's the youngest of 4 and none of the
older kids caused as much damage as she has!

I really think this is the age where they're just super-inquisitive and
exploring the world like they couldn't before. While I spend a very big part of
my day just with Kate, keeping her busy, she tires me out with her antics, so I
need a break here and there. This is the time when she'll decide to do one of
her tricks.

The other week, I had to send an email. In the 5 minutes that I was in the
office doing that -- and she was supposed to be watching cartoons -- she coated
the dog in sunblock.

The other night, I was in the living room, DH was in the office, and I thought
she was with him. No, she was in the kitchen, pouring a bottle of water on the
floor to make her own "pool."

She's a climber, too, and can pretty much get at anything that I put up out of
her reach (which is everything these days).

Kate seems to be at that age where she really doesn't need a nap, but if she
doesn't have one, she gets *very* cranky by about 6 p.m. Most days, I try to
keep her up and in a good mood by playing outside for a couple of hours before
dinner. Some days, though, she just conks out and that's where the trouble is
here. She'll fall asleep around 6, can't be woken up, and then when she does
wake, she's up until the wee hours (like last night, when she finally fell
asleep at 2 a.m.)

I'm sorry I don't have any advice for you. I just keep repeating "It's only a
phase" and try to live through each day.

Tracy

======================================
We child proofed our home 3 years ago
and they're still getting in!
======================================

Corinne
August 2nd 03, 05:48 AM
"Kender" > wrote in message
> It's funny but I feel bad putting the window AC in our room and letting
the
> kids suffer. Who do I choose? Do you pull the air in during the day or
push
> it out with your industrial fan? We close everything up at 8am and open it
> all at 8pm. I grew up without AC but it's just so much more uncomfortable
> when you get older. I just tell myself I'm sweating off the pounds! : )
> --
> Erin
> Morgan and Megan 2/15/97
> Evan 5/14/00

Hi there - why can't your son sleep in your room while it's hot? That way,
everyone wins, and no-one feels guilty. We have 1 A/C unit in our house,
downstairs in the LR...and DH, DD & I all sleep down here when it's hot &
nasty out.

HTH,
Corinne

David desJardins
August 5th 03, 06:19 PM
Kender > writes:
> My three year old is a terror at nap and bedtime. He used to be such a
> sweet child and now, holy cow. He's destroying his room. The only
> thing he has in there are windows, a bed, a bookcase, a dresser and
> two fans, as it is very hot here in the Pacific NW.

If he's really only doing this at nap time, I think it's a reaction to
being left alone and not really wanting to nap. You also say he only
actually naps 3 days/week, so it's not doing a lot of good. I'm with
those who would cut out the naps. (On the other hand, I'm also more
willing to cut out or skip naps with my kids than my wife is---it's just
a judgment call.) I'd try to arrange some sort of "quiet time" that he
doesn't object to so much.

We've never had any "destruction" issues, but we don't leave the room
until they are asleep, and they usually scream for attention (or
sometimes just come out) as soon as they wake up.

David desJardins