PDA

View Full Version : a bit about me

slykitten
August 17th 04, 11:25 PM
I found this group roughly about 11 days ago. I've read all the messages
that came up on my reader (only about 136) over the course of the last 11
days. I went in search of a group where I could find people who may be able
to offer me some ideas, advice and possible even acquaintanceship, perhaps
even friendship. I guess my newsreader cleaned up because initially I saw a
post for the FAQ's but then they were gone within a couple of hours.
When I found this group, my son was having a meltdown. I needed some time to
think and see if there were others who've been in similar if not the same
boat as I am.
I was married in July of 1995. I found myself pregnant after our honeymoon
roughly about September. I thought I had the flu. When I told my spouse
(who's now my ex) that we were expecting, he seemed excited at first. It
wasn't until December when we decided to finally tell his side of the family
(my side was excited when we found out and announced it!) that we were going
to be parents that things took a terrible turn. My ex's mother stopped me as
we were leaving and she said, "you know, if you don't want the baby, I'm
happy to take it off your hands." I didn't quite know what to say to that
and I told her, "you will do no such thing. This is my child and I'm going
to be the best mom ever!" and walked out the door. She called after me, "see
you in court!"
That was just the first of many incidents during that pregnancy. My ex used
to withold my medication for asthma, he'd withold the tylenol if I had a
headache... then it turned nasty and emotional, he'd say things about how he
wanted his mother to raise our child, that I wasn't a fit mother, that
perhaps we should wait a few more years before actually having kids. Then it
got worse, he tried to talk me into having an abortion, he tried to set up
the abortion for me, he tried all kinds of stuff to get me to miscarry, etc.
I fought hard. I gave birth to a beautiful baby boy.... who ended up with a
diagnosis of Apnea and was back in the hospital within a day or two of his
birth. I never left his side. As he got stronger, the abuse worsened.
I'll stop there only to say that when my son was 15 months old, I found the
strength to pack up my child and myself and get out of that situation!
I have worked very hard, knowing that my ex is a dangerous human being, to
rebuild our lives. My son loves his stepdad and his sisters. We have grown
together, we've had setbacks, we've worked through the hard times and
enjoyed the good times. I lived for 5 years in terror of my ex's
temperament. He's stalked us and even admitted in open court a year ago that
he keeps tabs on me by doing google searches on me. The judge was wonderful
and told him to do google searches on how to be a good parent and leave me
alone. I work hard to keep my son in very good health, to keep him in
school, to get him the best possible medical treatment when he needs it. I
advocate for him, I teach him, I do everything I possibly can for him. My 2
girls have their daddy in their lives. My son's bio father is a deadbeat and
worthless. He seeks out new ways in which to try and abuse me and he fails.
I've learned a lot but I still have a lot of learning to do. I won't ever
say that this isn't exhausting because it is. But knowing that my kids are
safe and well cared for and that my son has me and his stepdad and we both
love him and look out for him.... I doubt I could do anymore right now other
than support and reaffirm that I'm here for my son and I will always look
out for him.
As for the nastiness from a couple of people here.... That's easily remedied
with my filters. I'm familiar with the antics of trolls. I've posted to my
bunny news group for about 4 years now and I've seen them come and go. I
don't know who the trolls are here and so that may make me seem a little
naive at first until I get a better feeling for the group. I walked away
from an earlier argument but some assumed I was walking out on the group.
Not yet (hopefully not ever.) and certainly not over a little clash of
opinions.

CME
August 18th 04, 01:11 AM
"slykitten" > wrote in message
<snip>

< walked away
> from an earlier argument but some assumed I was walking out on the group.
> Not yet (hopefully not ever.) and certainly not over a little clash of
> opinions.

We've all been through alot, probably more than what is necessary, so please
don't trivialize other people's experiences and think you're special (not
saying you are btw). I'm sorry you had to go through those things, but
again, we've all been through the drama that is life.
With that being said, I'm glad you're staying, and not letting an argument
force you out of this place, you sound like a survivor. Nothing I hate more
than someone not hearing what they want to hear and running off crying,
leaving a "you people are so mean" diatribe. Not everyone is going to get
along here at all times, so best to just relax and know we DO mean well.
Support does not = enabling.

Christine

denanson
August 19th 04, 06:38 PM
"slykitten" wrote in message

> I found this group roughly about 11 days ago.

If, as you say, you found the FAQ, you should have read it before spending a
few kb's slaging off your ex.
Why so much resentment after 9 years?
Do you realise that you are wasting huge amounts of energy on the negative
things in your past?
Why waste that energy on him, use it for your future.

Dennis

Carrie
August 19th 04, 08:18 PM
Bravo !!!

slykitten
August 20th 04, 06:14 PM
do you have vision problems? I saw a post for the FAQ. I didn't say I got a
chance to read it. That's all I'm saying to you. Please keep some of my
other favorites company in my killfile. Have a nice day

--
"Many have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it.
You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
"denanson" <Dennis@Large .ie> wrote in message

> "slykitten" wrote in message
>
> > I found this group roughly about 11 days ago.
>
> If, as you say, you found the FAQ, you should have read it before spending
> few kb's slaging off your ex.
> Why so much resentment after 9 years?
> Do you realise that you are wasting huge amounts of energy on the negative
> things in your past?
> Why waste that energy on him, use it for your future.
>
> Dennis

Betsy
August 20th 04, 09:33 PM
"slykitten" > wrote in message
> do you have vision problems? I saw a post for the FAQ. I didn't say I got
> chance to read it. That's all I'm saying to you. Please keep some of my
> other favorites company in my killfile. Have a nice day

Unfortunately, by kill filing folks when you first read something you don't
like, will cause you to lose a lot of support from this group. I know from
experience that Joelle and Dennis both have very good advice, even if it's
not something I personally want to hear or would agree with. Might I
suggest you remove them from kill file until you get more acquainted with
the group? Just my thoughts.

Betsy
> --
> "Many have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it.
> You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
> ~Antoine de Saint-Exupery
> "denanson" <Dennis@Large .ie> wrote in message
> >
> > "slykitten" wrote in message
> >
> > > I found this group roughly about 11 days ago.
> >
> > If, as you say, you found the FAQ, you should have read it before
spending
> > few kb's slaging off your ex.
> > Why so much resentment after 9 years?
> > Do you realise that you are wasting huge amounts of energy on the
negative
> > things in your past?
> > Why waste that energy on him, use it for your future.
> >
> > Dennis

CME
August 21st 04, 12:24 AM
"slykitten" > wrote in message
> do you have vision problems? I saw a post for the FAQ. I didn't say I got
> chance to read it. That's all I'm saying to you. Please keep some of my
> other favorites company in my killfile. Have a nice day

Do you have interpersonal problems? Why mention you saw the FAQ if you
didn't read it? Perhaps had you actually read it alot, of these 'problems'
with OTHER people could have been avoided. Just my observation.

Christine

> --
> "Many have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it.
> You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
> ~Antoine de Saint-Exupery
> "denanson" <Dennis@Large .ie> wrote in message
> >
> > "slykitten" wrote in message
> >
> > > I found this group roughly about 11 days ago.
> >
> > If, as you say, you found the FAQ, you should have read it before
spending
> > few kb's slaging off your ex.
> > Why so much resentment after 9 years?
> > Do you realise that you are wasting huge amounts of energy on the
negative
> > things in your past?
> > Why waste that energy on him, use it for your future.
> >
> > Dennis

denanson
August 21st 04, 01:04 PM
"slykitten" displayed her ignorance by top posting the following:-

> do you have vision problems? I saw a post for the FAQ. I didn't say I got
> chance to read it.

You mean over a 10 day period, whilst confined to bed rest, you couldn't be
bothered to read it.

>That's all I'm saying to you. Please keep some of my
> other favorites company in my killfile.

Joelle and who else?
I will be in very good company going on your current judgments.

>Have a nice day

I always do.

Dennis

> --
> "Many have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it.
> You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
> ~Antoine de Saint-Exupery
> "denanson" <Dennis@Large .ie> wrote in message
> >
> > "slykitten" wrote in message
> >
> > > I found this group roughly about 11 days ago.
> >
> > If, as you say, you found the FAQ, you should have read it before
spending
> > few kb's slaging off your ex.
> > Why so much resentment after 9 years?
> > Do you realise that you are wasting huge amounts of energy on the
negative
> > things in your past?
> > Why waste that energy on him, use it for your future.
> >
> > Dennis

slykitten
August 21st 04, 10:58 PM
Kate,
If you could do me a favor... is there a link or some way for me to view the
FAQ's? I saw the post with the subject line as FAQ. But no link.
Unfortunately, I was in a car accident on Wednesday so typing is a bit of a
problem for me right now. It's all slow going. the injuries aren't extremely
serious but they're serious enough where i'm having some terrible muscle
spasms in my neck and shoulder and a little tingling in my right hand. the
entire right arm was affected.

--
"'Kate" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 13:04:48 +0100, "denanson" <Dennis@Large .ie>
> wrote:
>

> >"slykitten" displayed her ignorance by top posting the following:-
> >
> >> do you have vision problems? I saw a post for the FAQ. I didn't say I
got
> >> chance to read it.
> >
> >You mean over a 10 day period, whilst confined to bed rest, you couldn't
be
> >bothered to read it.
>

> Wrong newbie, dear.
>
> 'Kate

Zoe
August 22nd 04, 02:30 AM
"denanson" <Dennis@Large .ie> wrote in message

> "slykitten" displayed her ignorance by top posting the following:-
>
> > do you have vision problems? I saw a post for the FAQ. I didn't say I
got
> > chance to read it.
>
> You mean over a 10 day period, whilst confined to bed rest, you couldn't
be
> bothered to read it.

Thank you for proving what I just said in my last post - judgemental
bunch you all are!

Tiffany
August 22nd 04, 02:35 AM
"slykitten" > wrote in message
> Kate,
> If you could do me a favor... is there a link or some way for me to view
the
> FAQ's? I saw the post with the subject line as FAQ. But no link.
> Unfortunately, I was in a car accident on Wednesday so typing is a bit of
> problem for me right now. It's all slow going. the injuries aren't
extremely
> serious but they're serious enough where i'm having some terrible muscle
> spasms in my neck and shoulder and a little tingling in my right hand. the
> entire right arm was affected.
>
> --

Sorry to hear about your accident. Sounds like to much time on the PC
wouldn't be a good idea. :)

There is no website for the faq. All the info shows up on the post.

slykitten
August 22nd 04, 05:02 AM
Thanks. Sorry about the top posting. not sure how to change it. I'll figure
it out.

--
"'Kate" > wrote in message
> [...]
> Publisher: Prima Communications, Inc.
> Pub. Date: July 1999
> Edition Desc: 2ND, REVISED
>
> "Redirecting Children's Behavior, Discipline That Builds
> Self Esteem"
> by Kathryn J. Kvols
> ISBN: 1884734308
> Publisher: Parenting Pr., Inc.
> Pub. Date: November 1997
> Edition Desc: Revised
>
> "Siblings Without Rivalry"
> Faber, Adele and Mazlish, Elaine
> ISBN: 0380799006
> Publisher: Morrow,William & Co
> Pub. Date: January 1998
>

> "Single Mothers by Choice"
> by Jane Mattes
> ISBN: 0812922468
> Publisher: Random House, Incorporated
> Pub. Date: April 1997
> Edition Desc: 1st ed
>
> "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People"
> and... "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Families"
> by Covey, Stephen
> ISBN: 0307440850
> Publisher: St. Martin's Press, Inc.
> Pub. Date: September 1998
>
> The Complete Idiot's Guide to Single Parenting
> Sara Dulaney Gilbert
> ISBN: 0028624092
> Publisher: Hungry Minds, Incorporated
> Pub. Date: April 1998
>
> The Single Mother's Survival Guide
> Patrice Karst
> ISBN: 1580910637
> Publisher: Crossing Press, Inc., The
> Pub. Date: March 2000
>
> The Ultimate Survival Guide for the Single Father
> Thomas Hoerner Patrick David (Illustrator
> ISBN: 0967473640
> Publisher: Harbinger Press
> Pub. Date: May 2002
>
> The Complete Single Mother: Reassuring Answers to Your Most
> Challenging Concerns
> Andrea Engber Leah Lungness
> ISBN: 1580623026
> Publisher: Adams Media Corporation
> Pub. Date: February 2000
> Edition Desc: 2ND
>
> Magazine: "Going Bonkers?"
> (covers stress, weight loss, parenting, sexuality, self esteem, etc.)
> $9/year ($15 for two years), published quarterly.
> For information, write to: Going Bonkers
> P.O. Box 189
> Palm Beach, FL 33480
> or call 1-800-403-8850 (in Florida 407/659-0975)
>
> Other Newsgroups of Interest
> ----------------------------
>
> misc.kids
> alt.parents-teens
> alt.parenting.solutions
> alt.support.divorce
> alt.support.step-parents
> alt.child-support
> alt.dads-rights
>
> Contributors to this FAQ
> ------------------------
>
> We would like this FAQ to reflect the views and experiences of the
> people of alt.support.single-parents. This is our group, and we're
> here to help each other. But remember, helping is not always shown by
> AGREEING with everything everyone says.
>
> If you have anything you'd like to contribute to this FAQ, please

CME
August 22nd 04, 06:25 AM
"slykitten" > wrote in message
> Thanks. Sorry about the top posting. not sure how to change it. I'll
figure
> it out.

Just scroll ALL the way down to the bottom of a post and post there instead.
;) Just makes for easier reading.

Christine

<snip>

lm
August 22nd 04, 03:03 PM
wrote:

>Kate,
>If you could do me a favor... is there a link or some way for me to view the
>FAQ's? I saw the post with the subject line as FAQ. But no link.
>Unfortunately, I was in a car accident on Wednesday so typing is a bit of a
>problem for me right now. It's all slow going. the injuries aren't extremely
>serious but they're serious enough where i'm having some terrible muscle
>spasms in my neck and shoulder and a little tingling in my right hand. the
>entire right arm was affected.

Google the archives for "FAQ" and you'll see it.

Neck/shoulder injuries can have lasting effects -- stay away from the
computer while you're healing!

lm

lm
August 22nd 04, 03:03 PM
On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 21:30:57 -0400, "Zoe" > wrote:

>"denanson" <Dennis@Large .ie> wrote in message
>>
>> "slykitten" displayed her ignorance by top posting the following:-
>>
>> > do you have vision problems? I saw a post for the FAQ. I didn't say I
>got
>> > chance to read it.
>>
>> You mean over a 10 day period, whilst confined to bed rest, you couldn't
>be
>> bothered to read it.
>
> Thank you for proving what I just said in my last post - judgemental
>bunch you all are!

Um, all?

lm

denanson
August 22nd 04, 09:58 PM
"'Kate" wrote in message

> Wrong newbie, dear.

Oops! very sorry :-O

Dennis

Paul Griffiths
September 5th 04, 04:09 PM
"slykitten" > wrote in message

> do you have vision problems? I saw a post for the FAQ. I didn't say I got
> chance to read it. That's all I'm saying to you. Please keep some of my
> other favorites company in my killfile. Have a nice day

Welcome to the group Ms. Kitten. Your choice, of course, but there might be
something to be said for emptying some of the folks out of your killfile at
some point. They're not too bad once you get to know them.

--
Paul Griffiths