PDA

View Full Version : 29 weeks and still breech!!!

Sunshine
September 8th 04, 10:13 PM
Ok - so I just got back from my 29 week appointment. Baby girl is
still breech. Is this normally a problem at 29 weeks? No not really
but when you factor in 3 other ultrasounds, all breech throughout my
pregnancy. Now I know you are asking 4 ultrasounds!!! My doctors
office has 5 ultrasound machines out of 8 rooms so more often then not
you'll get an ultrasound during your visit to check the heart rate.
You can even request the ultrasound room if you don't mind waiting a
little longer sometimes.

OB said we could try turning the baby down the road but the fact that
she has always been breech looks bad. He said there might be a reason
she can't turn, like a short umbilical cord or something like that.
Has this happened to anyone else? I'm getting nervous but he said not
to really worry until I'm 36 weeks. What do you think?

Sunshine
DD 8/2002
EDD 11/2004

Tori M.
September 8th 04, 10:19 PM
> pregnancy. Now I know you are asking 4 ultrasounds!!!

LOL can you believe I was just thinking 4 sounded reasonable to me.. I have
had at least 1 every month this pregnancy that would mean 6 so far and they
want to do more! I am only going to be pregnant a max of 8 more weeks;)
That is if I go 2 over! I dont know the answer to your delema though..
sorry

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Xavier due 10/17/04

Cherie
September 8th 04, 10:49 PM
"Sunshine" > wrote in message
om...
> Ok - so I just got back from my 29 week appointment. Baby girl is
> still breech. Is this normally a problem at 29 weeks? No not really
> but when you factor in 3 other ultrasounds, all breech throughout my
> pregnancy. Now I know you are asking 4 ultrasounds!!! My doctors
> office has 5 ultrasound machines out of 8 rooms so more often then not
> you'll get an ultrasound during your visit to check the heart rate.
> You can even request the ultrasound room if you don't mind waiting a
> little longer sometimes.
>
> OB said we could try turning the baby down the road but the fact that
> she has always been breech looks bad. He said there might be a reason
> she can't turn, like a short umbilical cord or something like that.
> Has this happened to anyone else? I'm getting nervous but he said not
> to really worry until I'm 36 weeks. What do you think?
>
> Sunshine
> DD 8/2002
> EDD 11/2004

I haven't posted in a while (been busy with DD) but I was in the same breech
dilemma you are in. Everyone including my OB told me not to worry about it
because the baby had plenty of time to turn on her own. Well for some
strange reason I always had this feeling that she was "stuck", I think I
even posted that exact word when I was asking the same question you are
asking. Anyway I tried a ton of stuff to try and get her to turn (you can
goggle and get tons of info on that, search breech and turn or anything
along those lines) and of course she wouldn't turn. I went in for a external
version (where the doctor attempts to manually turn her) at exactly 38 weeks
and unfortunately that didn't work and I opted for a c-section that same
day. During the c-section it was discovered that one side of my uterus is
severely under-developed and thus DD was actually stuck (just like I thought
all along). And all though I ended up with a cesarean I actually that the
recovery was a whole lot easier and faster than a vaginal birth but I know I
am rare in saying that. Anyway that is just how my breech experience worked
out. And like I said before search on goggle you will find tons of
information on exercise, chiropractor, etc on how you can attempt to turn
your baby. Your baby still has several weeks left to turn so don't fret just
yet. Good luck and keep the group posted.

--
Cherie
SAHM to Jakob (2 year) & Grace (6.5 weeks)

Ericka Kammerer
September 9th 04, 12:30 AM
Sunshine wrote:

> Ok - so I just got back from my 29 week appointment. Baby girl is
> still breech. Is this normally a problem at 29 weeks?

You're phrasing that wrong. It's *perfectly normal*
and it's *not* a "problem"! ;-) Babies at that stage can
still flip around pretty much whenever they feel like it.

> No not really
> but when you factor in 3 other ultrasounds, all breech throughout my
> pregnancy.

Really, don't start stressing yet.

> OB said we could try turning the baby down the road but the fact that
> she has always been breech looks bad. He said there might be a reason
> she can't turn, like a short umbilical cord or something like that.
> Has this happened to anyone else? I'm getting nervous but he said not
> to really worry until I'm 36 weeks. What do you think?

You can start trying other ways to turn the baby
starting in a few more weeks if you like. See
http://www.gentlebirth.org/prenatal/breech.htm. If those
don't work, then 37 weeks is typically the optimal time
to schedule an external version to turn the baby.
If it comes to that, there are lots of options for versions,
ranging from the high intervention IV/tocolytics/epidural/induce
immediately afterwards variety to the low intervention
no IV/no tocolytics/no epidural/no induction variety.
It is within the realm of possibility that
there's some reason your baby seems to be staying head
up, but I surely wouldn't bank on it. Genevieve was
head up a *lot* and eventually required an external
version to turn, but she was easy as pie to turn and
stayed head down after that. Apparently, she just needed
an engraved invitation.

Best wishes,
Ericka

newfy.1
September 9th 04, 02:41 AM
"Sunshine" > wrote in message
om...
> Ok - so I just got back from my 29 week appointment. Baby girl is
> still breech. Is this normally a problem at 29 weeks?

No. It's WAAAAAAY to early to even be worried about this.

No not really
> but when you factor in 3 other ultrasounds, all breech throughout my
> pregnancy. Now I know you are asking 4 ultrasounds!!! My doctors
> office has 5 ultrasound machines out of 8 rooms so more often then not
> you'll get an ultrasound during your visit to check the heart rate.
> You can even request the ultrasound room if you don't mind waiting a
> little longer sometimes.

Well, I'd say that with so many ultrasounds that the chances of seeing the
baby in a breech position before 29 weeks are pretty good since they are
usually flipping around quite a bit at that point. Why in the world don't
they just use one of those handheld dopplers for heartrates?

> OB said we could try turning the baby down the road but the fact that
> she has always been breech looks bad. He said there might be a reason
> she can't turn, like a short umbilical cord or something like that.
> Has this happened to anyone else? I'm getting nervous but he said not
> to really worry until I'm 36 weeks. What do you think?

I' think that if your OB didn't want you to worry, he shouldn't have said
anything about a breech baby at 29 weeks. Worry once you get to around 36
weeks and yes, if she is still breech at that point you can attempt an
external version.

JennP.

Sunshine
September 9th 04, 01:36 PM
Thanks everyone! I'm going to try not the think about it for a bit.
My next appointment is in 3 weeks so I'll be 32 weeks then. I need to
do so research too. Thanks again for all the support and I'll keep
you updated.

Sunshine

newfy.1
September 9th 04, 01:56 PM
"Sunshine" > wrote in message
m...
> Thanks everyone! I'm going to try not the think about it for a bit.
> My next appointment is in 3 weeks so I'll be 32 weeks then. I need to
> do so research too. Thanks again for all the support and I'll keep
> you updated.

FWIW, even 32 weeks is too early to worry. Good luck

JennP.