PDA

View Full Version : question about IVs

Vicky Bilaniuk
September 12th 04, 03:30 AM
Ack! This is so gross! While in the hospital, I noticed something
weird about one of my wrists: it had a strange bump on it, on the side.
The IV was still in at the time (and in *that* wrist, not too far from
the bump, but it did not run in the direction of the bump). I honestly
don't know if this bump was there before or not. I just can't remember.
I *do* know that it doesn't seem to hurt unless I really press hard on
it (well, press about as hard as, say, the weight of my baby sitting on
my arm). My wrists took a pretty serious beating during pregnancy.
They swelled up a lot, along with my hands, and due to sleeping in a
chair, they got bent in funny ways that made them very painful during
the day, and incredibly stiff and crackly at night and in the mornings
(yeah yeah, sounds like arthritis, but we'll leave that to the
rheumatologist). I've actually lost feeling in the finger tips in one
hand (the same hand/wrist that has the bump, actually - the left one).
It's not permanent - for some reason, this problem comes and goes, and I
can't figure out what triggers it. There is no pain when the finger
tips go numb, ahem, so I usually put it out of my mind... ;-) This
particular problem came about in around the second last month of
pregnancy, and sadly hasn't gone away yet.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out what this bump is. Could it have been
caused by the IV? The bump is not hard, that I can tell. If I press on
it only lightly, there is no feeling - it's like it's dead. When I move
my wrist around, this thing doesn't move with it - that is, my skin
rolls over it. I don't think I can make it move by pressing on it (I'm
too disgusted by it to try really hard, but I have tried a little bit,
with no success). The baby rests on it all the time and sometimes
manages to hit it with his arms, which hurts a bit, but it stays put.

Jamie Clark
September 12th 04, 04:29 AM
Vicki,
My guess is that the tinglyness is related to the arthritis. Could the bump
be a bone spur? Hugs.
--

Jamie & Taylor
Earth Angel, 1/3/03

Check out Taylor Marlys -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest
Password

Check out our Adoption Page at http://www.geocities.com/clarkadopt2004/

"Vicky Bilaniuk" > wrote in message
> Ack! This is so gross! While in the hospital, I noticed something weird
> about one of my wrists: it had a strange bump on it, on the side. The IV
> was still in at the time (and in *that* wrist, not too far from the bump,
> but it did not run in the direction of the bump). I honestly don't know
> if this bump was there before or not. I just can't remember. I *do* know
> that it doesn't seem to hurt unless I really press hard on it (well, press
> about as hard as, say, the weight of my baby sitting on my arm). My
> wrists took a pretty serious beating during pregnancy. They swelled up a
> lot, along with my hands, and due to sleeping in a chair, they got bent in
> funny ways that made them very painful during the day, and incredibly
> stiff and crackly at night and in the mornings (yeah yeah, sounds like
> arthritis, but we'll leave that to the rheumatologist). I've actually
> lost feeling in the finger tips in one hand (the same hand/wrist that has
> the bump, actually - the left one). It's not permanent - for some reason,
> this problem comes and goes, and I can't figure out what triggers it.
> There is no pain when the finger tips go numb, ahem, so I usually put it
> out of my mind... ;-) This particular problem came about in around the
> second last month of pregnancy, and sadly hasn't gone away yet.
>
> Anyway, I'm trying to figure out what this bump is. Could it have been
> caused by the IV? The bump is not hard, that I can tell. If I press on
> it only lightly, there is no feeling - it's like it's dead. When I move
> my wrist around, this thing doesn't move with it - that is, my skin rolls
> over it. I don't think I can make it move by pressing on it (I'm too
> disgusted by it to try really hard, but I have tried a little bit, with no
> success). The baby rests on it all the time and sometimes manages to hit
> it with his arms, which hurts a bit, but it stays put.

Kelly
September 12th 04, 06:05 AM
Vicky,
It could be anything. IV's sometime cause tender bumps. I sometimes get a
bump (very tender) on the top of my wrist. It eventually goes away or if it
gets bothersome, my chiro. friend manipulates it.

Kelly
#4 2/05

"Vicky Bilaniuk" > wrote in message
> Ack! This is so gross! While in the hospital, I noticed something
> weird about one of my wrists: it had a strange bump on it, on the side.
> The IV was still in at the time (and in *that* wrist, not too far from
> the bump, but it did not run in the direction of the bump). I honestly
> don't know if this bump was there before or not. I just can't remember.
> I *do* know that it doesn't seem to hurt unless I really press hard on
> it (well, press about as hard as, say, the weight of my baby sitting on
> my arm). My wrists took a pretty serious beating during pregnancy.
> They swelled up a lot, along with my hands, and due to sleeping in a
> chair, they got bent in funny ways that made them very painful during
> the day, and incredibly stiff and crackly at night and in the mornings
> (yeah yeah, sounds like arthritis, but we'll leave that to the
> rheumatologist). I've actually lost feeling in the finger tips in one
> hand (the same hand/wrist that has the bump, actually - the left one).
> It's not permanent - for some reason, this problem comes and goes, and I
> can't figure out what triggers it. There is no pain when the finger
> tips go numb, ahem, so I usually put it out of my mind... ;-) This
> particular problem came about in around the second last month of
> pregnancy, and sadly hasn't gone away yet.
>
> Anyway, I'm trying to figure out what this bump is. Could it have been
> caused by the IV? The bump is not hard, that I can tell. If I press on
> it only lightly, there is no feeling - it's like it's dead. When I move
> my wrist around, this thing doesn't move with it - that is, my skin
> rolls over it. I don't think I can make it move by pressing on it (I'm
> too disgusted by it to try really hard, but I have tried a little bit,
> with no success). The baby rests on it all the time and sometimes
> manages to hit it with his arms, which hurts a bit, but it stays put.

A&G&K&H
September 12th 04, 06:31 AM
"Vicky Bilaniuk" > wrote in message
> Ack! This is so gross! While in the hospital, I noticed something
> weird about one of my wrists: it had a strange bump on it, on the side.
> The IV was still in at the time (and in *that* wrist, not too far from
> the bump, but it did not run in the direction of the bump). I honestly
> don't know if this bump was there before or not. I just can't remember.
> I *do* know that it doesn't seem to hurt unless I really press hard on
> it (well, press about as hard as, say, the weight of my baby sitting on
> my arm). My wrists took a pretty serious beating during pregnancy.
> They swelled up a lot, along with my hands, and due to sleeping in a
> chair, they got bent in funny ways that made them very painful during
> the day, and incredibly stiff and crackly at night and in the mornings
> (yeah yeah, sounds like arthritis, but we'll leave that to the
> rheumatologist). I've actually lost feeling in the finger tips in one
> hand (the same hand/wrist that has the bump, actually - the left one).
> It's not permanent - for some reason, this problem comes and goes, and I
> can't figure out what triggers it. There is no pain when the finger
> tips go numb, ahem, so I usually put it out of my mind... ;-) This
> particular problem came about in around the second last month of
> pregnancy, and sadly hasn't gone away yet.
>
> Anyway, I'm trying to figure out what this bump is. Could it have been
> caused by the IV? The bump is not hard, that I can tell. If I press on
> it only lightly, there is no feeling - it's like it's dead. When I move
> my wrist around, this thing doesn't move with it - that is, my skin
> rolls over it. I don't think I can make it move by pressing on it (I'm
> too disgusted by it to try really hard, but I have tried a little bit,
> with no success). The baby rests on it all the time and sometimes
> manages to hit it with his arms, which hurts a bit, but it stays put.

Could it be a ganglion cyst?
I've had these come and go in one wrist a few times. They tend to occur in
the wrist and are attached to the tendon sheath. They can be hard and may
feel like bone.
They have been called "Bible Cysts" ... apparently you can burst the cyst if
you hit your wrist hard enough with a big book ... but I've preferred to let
them go away by themselves.
Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Sue
September 12th 04, 12:58 PM
"Vicky Bilaniuk" > wrote in message
> Ack! This is so gross! While in the hospital, I noticed something
> weird about one of my wrists: it had a strange bump on it, on the side.

Sounds like a ganglion cyst and they just come up without any rhyme or
reason. If it is a ganglion cyst, the IV did not cause it. They can be
popped. My husband's mother popped his by slamming a book on it. They used
to be called a bible bump because they used a bible to pop it. However,
don't pop it yourself. Have the doctor look at it. You can look up ganglion
cyst on google to see if it truly sounds like what you have.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Vicky Bilaniuk
September 12th 04, 04:08 PM
Sue wrote:
> "Vicky Bilaniuk" > wrote in message
>
>>Ack! This is so gross! While in the hospital, I noticed something
>>weird about one of my wrists: it had a strange bump on it, on the side.
>

> Sounds like a ganglion cyst and they just come up without any rhyme or
> reason. If it is a ganglion cyst, the IV did not cause it. They can be
> popped. My husband's mother popped his by slamming a book on it. They used
> to be called a bible bump because they used a bible to pop it. However,
> don't pop it yourself. Have the doctor look at it. You can look up ganglion
> cyst on google to see if it truly sounds like what you have.

Thanks everyone. I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow so hopefully I'll find
out for sure what it is.

karlisa
September 12th 04, 06:42 PM
That was my first thought, too, Amanda. My sister has had ganglion cysts
that come and go on her right wrist since she was 12 years old. She's had
it surgically removed many times and finally gave up. Hers finally swells
to the point where it is very painful to bend her wrist, and then she gets
her father-in-law (a surgeon) to shoot it full of cortisone, causing the
ganglion to burst. Eventually, it comes back, though. This has been going
on for over 30 years, and it's annoying but harmless.

lisa
micksmom
2 years old!
Baby 2: edd 2-7-05

> Could it be a ganglion cyst?
> I've had these come and go in one wrist a few times. They tend to occur
in
> the wrist and are attached to the tendon sheath. They can be hard and may
> feel like bone.
> They have been called "Bible Cysts" ... apparently you can burst the cyst
if
> you hit your wrist hard enough with a big book ... but I've preferred to
let
> them go away by themselves.
> Amanda
>
> --
> DD 15th August 2002
> 1 tiny angel Nov 2003
> DS 20th August 2004

Beach mum
September 13th 04, 09:33 PM
Just to pipe up, I had one removed from my wrist when I was in grade two and
it hasn't returned. OTOH, my mum, aunt and brother have all had them come
and go for years. I hope it's something as easy as this.

--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03

"karlisa" > wrote in message
. ..
> That was my first thought, too, Amanda. My sister has had ganglion cysts
> that come and go on her right wrist since she was 12 years old. She's had
> it surgically removed many times and finally gave up. Hers finally swells
> to the point where it is very painful to bend her wrist, and then she gets
> her father-in-law (a surgeon) to shoot it full of cortisone, causing the
> ganglion to burst. Eventually, it comes back, though. This has been
> going
> on for over 30 years, and it's annoying but harmless.
>
> lisa
> micksmom
> 2 years old!
> Baby 2: edd 2-7-05
>
>> Could it be a ganglion cyst?
>> I've had these come and go in one wrist a few times. They tend to occur
> in
>> the wrist and are attached to the tendon sheath. They can be hard and
>> may
>> feel like bone.
>> They have been called "Bible Cysts" ... apparently you can burst the cyst
> if
>> you hit your wrist hard enough with a big book ... but I've preferred to
> let
>> them go away by themselves.
>> Amanda
>>
>> --
>> DD 15th August 2002
>> 1 tiny angel Nov 2003
>> DS 20th August 2004

H Schinske
September 14th 04, 02:02 AM
wrote:

>Sounds like a ganglion cyst and they just come up without any rhyme or
>reason.

I had one of those for years and years and years. It went away a few years
back, can't remember when. I thought of it from the OP's description, too.

--Helen

Vicky Bilaniuk
September 14th 04, 02:37 AM
Beach mum wrote:

> Just to pipe up, I had one removed from my wrist when I was in grade two and
> it hasn't returned. OTOH, my mum, aunt and brother have all had them come
> and go for years. I hope it's something as easy as this.

Just to let you guys know, doc thinks it's a "calcium deposit." Oh
well. He pressed on it a bunch of times and it didn't hurt at all, so I
guess the pain I was feeling was from the sore tendon that I have in
that general vicinity. ;-) I'm going to treat the carpal tunnel
syndrome, though, since it doesn't seem to be going away on its own now
that the pregnancy is done.

Sue
September 14th 04, 06:24 PM
"Vicky Bilaniuk" > wrote in message
> Just to let you guys know, doc thinks it's a "calcium deposit."

Ah calcium deposit. Thanks for letting us budding doctors give it a try at
diagnosis ;o)
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Vicky Bilaniuk
September 15th 04, 04:00 AM
Sue wrote:

> "Vicky Bilaniuk" > wrote in message
>
>>Just to let you guys know, doc thinks it's a "calcium deposit."
>

> Ah calcium deposit. Thanks for letting us budding doctors give it a try at
> diagnosis ;o)

Well, there's no guarantee that he's right. ;-) I didn't get an x-ray
or anything. If it starts to bug me, I'll go back and ask him to get
rid of it, or something, which will require him to have a closer look at
it. But really, when he pushed on it and tried to move it around, it
actually really didn't hurt - didn't feel a thing. So I'm not concerned
about it. If that muscle in the area keeps giving me trouble, then I'll
have to go back, I imagine. The muscle seems to be healing, though.