PDA

View Full Version : predictions... :)

emilymr
September 12th 04, 04:38 AM
Hi, everyone -- We're now all moved in to our new apartment and I'm ready
to get back to baby stuff (as opposed to packing boxes). :) I'm due Nov.
18 with my first, and my mom's flying out to CA from NY to help out for 2
weeks; then my MIL will come out for the next 2 weeks. My question is...
is it reasonable to think that I'll deliver early, considering my mom had
4 early babies (inc. 1 premie)? For what it's worth, my MIL also had 4
early babies.

I'm trying to figure out the best dates for both of them to come; right
now, mom's got tickets for the 15th. I *really* want them to be there for
the *first* month; hopefully after then, DH and I will have a routine, and
I would rather be on my own by then (umm, I think?? haha). If it comes
down to it they both can change plane tix.

I know I shouldn't be gearing myself up for an early delivery; I'll
probably be 2 weeks 'late' now!! :P But if anyone knows if family
history has any relevance here, let me know. :)

Em

Tori M.
September 12th 04, 04:44 AM
"emilymr" <emily@xxxxxx> wrote in message
lkaboutparenting.com...
> Hi, everyone -- We're now all moved in to our new apartment and I'm ready
> to get back to baby stuff (as opposed to packing boxes). :) I'm due Nov.
> 18 with my first, and my mom's flying out to CA from NY to help out for 2
> weeks; then my MIL will come out for the next 2 weeks. My question is...
> is it reasonable to think that I'll deliver early, considering my mom had
> 4 early babies (inc. 1 premie)? For what it's worth, my MIL also had 4
> early babies.
>
> I'm trying to figure out the best dates for both of them to come; right
> now, mom's got tickets for the 15th. I *really* want them to be there for
> the *first* month; hopefully after then, DH and I will have a routine, and
> I would rather be on my own by then (umm, I think?? haha). If it comes
> down to it they both can change plane tix.
>
> I know I shouldn't be gearing myself up for an early delivery; I'll
> probably be 2 weeks 'late' now!! :P But if anyone knows if family
> history has any relevance here, let me know. :)
>
> Em
My mom is coming 10 days after my due date. I want her to come earlier but
we both know that if she flew out from NH the baby would be 2 weeks late for
sure;) At this point I at least know that if the baby is not born before
day 10 they will induce me if I want.. hehe.. who knows maybe she will be
here for the birth.. lol.. I am also trying not to psych myself up for an
early delivery but Bonnie was born before her due date and for the most part
women (at least on my moms side) tend to have babies close to the due
dates..

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Xavier due 10/17/04

Jamie Clark
September 12th 04, 07:02 AM
I don't think family history has any relevance. Sorry.
--

Jamie & Taylor
Earth Angel, 1/3/03

Check out Taylor Marlys -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest
Password

Check out our Adoption Page at http://www.geocities.com/clarkadopt2004/

"emilymr" <emily@xxxxxx> wrote in message
lkaboutparenting.com...
> Hi, everyone -- We're now all moved in to our new apartment and I'm ready
> to get back to baby stuff (as opposed to packing boxes). :) I'm due Nov.
> 18 with my first, and my mom's flying out to CA from NY to help out for 2
> weeks; then my MIL will come out for the next 2 weeks. My question is...
> is it reasonable to think that I'll deliver early, considering my mom had
> 4 early babies (inc. 1 premie)? For what it's worth, my MIL also had 4
> early babies.
>
> I'm trying to figure out the best dates for both of them to come; right
> now, mom's got tickets for the 15th. I *really* want them to be there for
> the *first* month; hopefully after then, DH and I will have a routine, and
> I would rather be on my own by then (umm, I think?? haha). If it comes
> down to it they both can change plane tix.
>
> I know I shouldn't be gearing myself up for an early delivery; I'll
> probably be 2 weeks 'late' now!! :P But if anyone knows if family
> history has any relevance here, let me know. :)
>
> Em

Kazh
September 12th 04, 10:23 AM
I'm sure if family history plays any part.
hinking about it, my mother had me 4 days late, same as I did with my =
DD. but my brother was 15 days late and my DS was 8 days early !!

I guess babies come when they are ready.

With my DD I refused alcohol of any kind whilst PG but for 2 weeks =
before she was due I was ''craving'' a sip of white wine. She was due on =
the 9th and by the 12th I said to DH to open a bottle and I'd have a =
small sip. So I did........hey presto 10.30am next morning I go in to =
labour..........I still tease her that she waited those 4 days till she =
got that wine !!

--=20
Karen
DS 10th Aug 1986
DD 13th Aug 1988
EDD 14th May 2005

Sophie
September 12th 04, 02:44 PM
"Jamie Clark" > wrote in message
> I don't think family history has any relevance. Sorry.
> --
>
> Jamie & Taylor
> Earth Angel, 1/3/03

I don't think it does either. My sister and I had very different births
with our children from each other and our mother. Very different sized
babies, different rates of concieving , etc...Just everything was different.

Leslie
September 12th 04, 02:45 PM
If I were you, I would have your mom fly out about a week after your due date.
First babies are generally more likely to be late than they are to be early.
You'll be in the hospital for the first couple of days and I persume your
husband will have a few days to help when you get home. It would be nice for
you, your husband, and the baby to have a couple of days alone at home together
to sort things out without the advice of the older generation. :-) And IME,
the first few days are kind of euphoric, and it's around the end of the first
week that baby blues set in and you will want company and help. JMO.

Leslie

Emily (2/4/91)
Jake (1/27/94)
Teddy (2/15/95)
William (3/5/01 -- VBA3C, 13 lbs. 5 oz.)
and Lorelei, expected 11/2/04

"Children come trailing clouds of glory from God, which is their home."
~ William Wordsworth

Ericka Kammerer
September 12th 04, 03:19 PM
emilymr wrote:

> Hi, everyone -- We're now all moved in to our new apartment and I'm ready
> to get back to baby stuff (as opposed to packing boxes). :) I'm due Nov.
> 18 with my first, and my mom's flying out to CA from NY to help out for 2
> weeks; then my MIL will come out for the next 2 weeks. My question is...
> is it reasonable to think that I'll deliver early, considering my mom had
> 4 early babies (inc. 1 premie)? For what it's worth, my MIL also had 4
> early babies.

Well, I supposed it's not unreasonable to *think* you'll
deliver early, but it would likely be unreasonable (or at
least unproductive) to *expect* that you will ;-)

> I'm trying to figure out the best dates for both of them to come; right
> now, mom's got tickets for the 15th. I *really* want them to be there for
> the *first* month; hopefully after then, DH and I will have a routine, and
> I would rather be on my own by then (umm, I think?? haha). If it comes
> down to it they both can change plane tix.
>
> I know I shouldn't be gearing myself up for an early delivery; I'll
> probably be 2 weeks 'late' now!! :P But if anyone knows if family
> history has any relevance here, let me know. :)

I wouldn't bank on any family history relevance.
There are just way too many factors involved.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Marion
September 12th 04, 05:04 PM
emilymr wrote:
> Hi, everyone -- We're now all moved in to our new apartment and I'm ready
> to get back to baby stuff (as opposed to packing boxes). :) I'm due Nov.
> 18 with my first, and my mom's flying out to CA from NY to help out for 2
> weeks; then my MIL will come out for the next 2 weeks. My question is...
> is it reasonable to think that I'll deliver early, considering my mom had
> 4 early babies (inc. 1 premie)? For what it's worth, my MIL also had 4
> early babies.
>
> I'm trying to figure out the best dates for both of them to come; right
> now, mom's got tickets for the 15th. I *really* want them to be there for
> the *first* month; hopefully after then, DH and I will have a routine, and
> I would rather be on my own by then (umm, I think?? haha). If it comes
> down to it they both can change plane tix.
>
> I know I shouldn't be gearing myself up for an early delivery; I'll
> probably be 2 weeks 'late' now!! :P But if anyone knows if family
> history has any relevance here, let me know. :)
>
> Em

My mom can also only stay two weeks, so I got my mom's ticket with
airline miles, that way there is no penalty for changing the dates...
the closest thing to an "open ticket" you can get these days. As soon
as I'm sure I'm "really" in labor, she'll call AmAir to change flights.
She keeps a bag packed in her car, since her office is closer to the
airport than home :-)

My best friend doesn't work, so she's coming out 2 weeks before my due
date... that way she can help with any last minute preparation, offer
moral support for the "I want labor to start *now*" frustrations, etc.

Marion
Katy, edd 10/16

emilymr
September 12th 04, 08:39 PM
Oh phooey, I'm sure you're all correct about this!! Oh well, I guess we'll
just play it by ear, and mom might get a baby-free vacation... Changing
tickets wouldn't be so bad, except I'm due right around Thanksgiving so I
think that'll make it more difficult. Leslie -- I'm planning on a
homebirth so I don't get any hospital vacation days!! ;) And my husband
is just starting a new job next week, so I don't think he'll get too much
time off -- that's why I'm hoping the baby cooperates with the plane
tickets. :)

Em

Jamie Clark
September 12th 04, 10:23 PM
So why don't you have your mom come out about 10 days past your due date,
which would be around Thanksgiving, and your MIL come out two weeks after
that. That way, worst case scenario, you may have a few days around the
house with your hubby and new baby, and best case scenario, the baby will
come within a few days on either side of your mom's arrival. I think you're
putting too much pressure on yourself, and will likely end up inducing for
the convenience.
--

Jamie & Taylor
Earth Angel, 1/3/03

Check out Taylor Marlys -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest
Password

Check out our Adoption Page at http://www.geocities.com/clarkadopt2004/

"emilymr" <emily@xxxxxx> wrote in message
lkaboutparenting.com...
> Oh phooey, I'm sure you're all correct about this!! Oh well, I guess
> we'll
> just play it by ear, and mom might get a baby-free vacation... Changing
> tickets wouldn't be so bad, except I'm due right around Thanksgiving so I
> think that'll make it more difficult. Leslie -- I'm planning on a
> homebirth so I don't get any hospital vacation days!! ;) And my husband
> is just starting a new job next week, so I don't think he'll get too much
> time off -- that's why I'm hoping the baby cooperates with the plane
> tickets. :)
>
> Em

Leslie
September 13th 04, 03:11 AM
>Leslie -- I'm planning on a
>homebirth so I don't get any hospital vacation days!! ;) And my husband
>is just starting a new job next week, so I don't think he'll get too much
>time off

Ah, I see. :-) That does make a difference. Well, I hope it all works out the
way you want it to. :-)

Leslie

Emily (2/4/91)
Jake (1/27/94)
Teddy (2/15/95)
William (3/5/01 -- VBA3C, 13 lbs. 5 oz.)
and Lorelei, expected 11/2/04

"Children come trailing clouds of glory from God, which is their home."
~ William Wordsworth

emilymr
September 13th 04, 03:28 AM
Hmm, well I certainly won't induce for the convenience... that doesn't
exactly fit in with the homebirth mentality! ;) I *do* realize there's a
large element of unpredictability here; I was just wondering if there is
any correlation between moms' early births and daughters'.

Em

emilymr
September 13th 04, 03:29 AM
Thanks! I'm sure everything will work out one way or the other!

:) Em