PDA

View Full Version : Why does everything go wrong when you're trying to save money?!

Tori M.
September 16th 04, 03:09 AM
"Cathy" > wrote in message
> So far this week we have had to call out the plumber to fix a broken pipe,
> I've been told the cat badly needs dental treatment, and now the video
> player, my sanity saver giving me 1/2 an hour to cook tea, has died and
> needs replacing. We were trying to save a little for the new baby, just
in
> case there were unexpected costs, and also for Christmas. Oh well - the
> pipe had to be fixed, the cat is my daughter's favourite toy so needs to
be
> fixed, and the video saves my sanity so needs to be replaced. I wonder
what
> else will go wrong?!
>
> Cathy
I just LOL at the cat being your daughters favorite toy! Bonnies favorite
toy is our cat.

Tori
--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Xavier due 10/17/04

Cathy
September 16th 04, 03:16 AM
So far this week we have had to call out the plumber to fix a broken pipe,
I've been told the cat badly needs dental treatment, and now the video
player, my sanity saver giving me 1/2 an hour to cook tea, has died and
needs replacing. We were trying to save a little for the new baby, just in
case there were unexpected costs, and also for Christmas. Oh well - the
pipe had to be fixed, the cat is my daughter's favourite toy so needs to be
fixed, and the video saves my sanity so needs to be replaced. I wonder what
else will go wrong?!

Cathy

Kelly
September 16th 04, 06:04 AM
Nothing-you had "the three" happen at once so you are done!
Kelly

"Cathy" > wrote in message
> So far this week we have had to call out the plumber to fix a broken pipe,
> I've been told the cat badly needs dental treatment, and now the video
> player, my sanity saver giving me 1/2 an hour to cook tea, has died and
> needs replacing. We were trying to save a little for the new baby, just
in
> case there were unexpected costs, and also for Christmas. Oh well - the
> pipe had to be fixed, the cat is my daughter's favourite toy so needs to
be
> fixed, and the video saves my sanity so needs to be replaced. I wonder
what
> else will go wrong?!
>
> Cathy

Mary S.
September 16th 04, 11:54 PM
> Our poor cat is very tolerant - gets her tail pulled, gets kissed, and gets
> chased around the house by DD going 'meow'! She has only scratched once. A
> good sort of toy to have, I reckon - educational as well as mobile!

That sounds like our cat -- I love that description, an educational toy!

Mary S.

Cathy
September 17th 04, 02:35 AM

Kelly wrote:
> Nothing-you had "the three" happen at once so you are done!
> Kelly

That's what I'm hoping - and the plumbing bill wasn't as bad as I thought it
would be.

Cathy

Donna Metler
September 17th 04, 03:05 AM
"Mary S." > wrote in message

> > Our poor cat is very tolerant - gets her tail pulled, gets kissed, and
gets
> > chased around the house by DD going 'meow'! She has only scratched
once. A
> > good sort of toy to have, I reckon - educational as well as mobile!
>
> That sounds like our cat -- I love that description, an educational toy!
>
> Mary S.

I hope my cats are amiable to being toys! I still think that if this baby
recognizes anyone's voice, it's probably going to be Peaches, since she
enjoys lying next to my stomach, sort of curled around it, and often seems
to be carrying on a conversation with the baby in purrs and mews. Well...I
wanted her to be bilingual...

Cathy
September 18th 04, 02:10 AM
Donna Metler wrote:
> "Mary S." > wrote in message
>>
>>> Our poor cat is very tolerant - gets her tail pulled, gets kissed,
>>> and gets chased around the house by DD going 'meow'! She has only
>>> scratched once. A good sort of toy to have, I reckon - educational
>>> as well as mobile!
>>
>> That sounds like our cat -- I love that description, an educational
>> toy!
>>
>> Mary S.
>>
> I hope my cats are amiable to being toys! I still think that if this
> baby recognizes anyone's voice, it's probably going to be Peaches,
> since she enjoys lying next to my stomach, sort of curled around it,
> and often seems to be carrying on a conversation with the baby in
> purrs and mews. Well...I wanted her to be bilingual...

I'm wondering if that is why DD is so fond of the cat - when I was pregnant,
the cat spent every evening curled up on the bump purring away.

Cathy

Donna Metler
September 18th 04, 02:31 AM
"Cathy" > wrote in message
> Donna Metler wrote:

> >> That sounds like our cat -- I love that description, an educational
> >> toy!
> >>
> >> Mary S.
> >>
> > I hope my cats are amiable to being toys! I still think that if this
> > baby recognizes anyone's voice, it's probably going to be Peaches,
> > since she enjoys lying next to my stomach, sort of curled around it,
> > and often seems to be carrying on a conversation with the baby in
> > purrs and mews. Well...I wanted her to be bilingual...
>
> I'm wondering if that is why DD is so fond of the cat - when I was
pregnant,
> the cat spent every evening curled up on the bump purring away.

There seems to be this innate attraction between cat and bump-they all seem
very comfortable right by there-although I have had a hard time convincing
the youngest that "mount cuddles" is not for climbing!

> Cathy

Bóliath
September 20th 04, 09:21 PM
My two cats don't seem to have noticed the bump at all :c( The dog just
knows she can't jump up on me like she used to and she has to be careful
around the belly.

Do any of you have any advice about introducing the new baby to the animals?

I've read that I should carry a doll around for a week or two to get
everyone used to the idea and that Dbf should come home first with
something the baby has worn so animals can sniff at it, then when we all
come home from the hospital, i come in first greet them all and then Dbf
comes in with the baby. Anything else anyone can tell me?

My dog is a 15 month old Aussie Shepherd mix, recently spayed, the cats
are a 4 yr old female and a 3 yr old son, both fixed, all animals are
rescues from local shelters but have no behavioral problems, besides the
puppy being a bit clingy to me.

Lindy
September 20th 04, 09:59 PM
i have 4 cats so i have done a lot of researching. i read you should
introduce them to the smell of baby powder. also you can play a tape of
a baby crying to get them used to the sound. so they dont get into the
crib cut out cardboard to fit in the inside of the crib and put 2 sided
tape on it because cats dont like sticky things. especially on their
feet. also you can put netting on top of it too. i havent done any of
that though. i do have crib up and baby powder up but when thecats start
to go by crib i say no and they get away, or spray them with water. they
will get the hint. but once baby comes they wont be allowed in our room
anyways. also if you have to lock up your animals for any reason make
sure you put some items of clothing that smell like you with them. and
when you come home from the hospital make sure you pet them right away
and not ignore them, that way they still know that they are going to get
attention. still take time to be with your pets.
i can tell my cats know im pregnant. (32 weeks now) one of my female
cats is a lot friendlier to me and always wants to be near me. the other
like to sleep with their head by my belly and they are pretty
gentlearound my belly.
i dont think they are going to be a problem. my boyfriends brothers
girlfriend had a baby in june and has been over several times with her
baby. all they do is just sniff around and thats about it. i think
everything will be fine. i just hope that baby wont be allergic to them.
but i also read that babies that are around animals like cats are less
likely to be allergic to them.
hope some of this info helps, but im not an expert so you can go to
google and type in cats and babies or something like that and im sure
you will be able to find info on the subject.

http://community.webtv.net/lindo_84/LindysPictures

T Flynn
September 20th 04, 10:20 PM
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004, B=F3liath wrote:
[i]
>=20
> Do any of you have any advice about introducing the new baby to the anima=
ls?
>=20

We have a dog, a cat and two pairs of doves. For the dog, we started
getting her a little used to babylife by watching "birthday" and that ilk
incessantly with the volume turned up when the baby was born. She looked
very concerned. I encouraged the husband to bring home baby clothes that
she wore so the dog could get used to her smells, and we did open many of
the containers so she'd get used to the manufactured baby-surround smells
-- baby wipes, diapers, baby bath, etc. (even "fragrance free" has a
scent.) =20

The dog was very skittish about the baby for the first couple months. Very
rarely even perceptibly challenging her position in the pack (vying for
attention, taking toys) but usually doing this weird "I don't see her so
she doesn't count" act. Now that Kay has been introduced to solids, she's
magically visible, either because she drops Cheerios for the dog or
because her diapers smell more "expected". I just got off the phone with
the husband, and the dog officially asked the seven month old to please
THROW THE BALL, PLEASE? Couldja?

The cat is a very skittish, cantankerous old girl who hides from everyone,
except me. And the baby. She sniffs the baby when I bring her up, and she
looks at her as if to say, Okay, any day you can start petting me, small
good human!

Jamie Clark
September 20th 04, 10:23 PM
It's not recommended to use baby powder on babies any more, due to the
possibility of ingestion and breathing in the powder. Since it's not safe
for babies or adults to breathe in, I wouldn't use it around my pets either,
especially a dog -- you know how they stick their nose right in something
and sniff in real hard.

If you don't plan on using baby powder on your baby, then it wouldn't work
to use it to get the dog used to a baby smell, since your baby won't smell
like that.
--

Jamie & Taylor
Earth Angel, 1/3/03

Check out Taylor Marlys -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest
Password

Check out our Adoption Page at http://www.geocities.com/clarkadopt2004/

"Lindy" > wrote in message
>i have 4 cats so i have done a lot of researching. i read you should
> introduce them to the smell of baby powder. also you can play a tape of
> a baby crying to get them used to the sound. so they dont get into the
> crib cut out cardboard to fit in the inside of the crib and put 2 sided
> tape on it because cats dont like sticky things. especially on their
> feet. also you can put netting on top of it too. i havent done any of
> that though. i do have crib up and baby powder up but when thecats start
> to go by crib i say no and they get away, or spray them with water. they
> will get the hint. but once baby comes they wont be allowed in our room
> anyways. also if you have to lock up your animals for any reason make
> sure you put some items of clothing that smell like you with them. and
> when you come home from the hospital make sure you pet them right away
> and not ignore them, that way they still know that they are going to get
> attention. still take time to be with your pets.
> i can tell my cats know im pregnant. (32 weeks now) one of my female
> cats is a lot friendlier to me and always wants to be near me. the other
> like to sleep with their head by my belly and they are pretty
> gentlearound my belly.
> i dont think they are going to be a problem. my boyfriends brothers
> girlfriend had a baby in june and has been over several times with her
> baby. all they do is just sniff around and thats about it. i think
> everything will be fine. i just hope that baby wont be allergic to them.
> but i also read that babies that are around animals like cats are less
> likely to be allergic to them.
> hope some of this info helps, but im not an expert so you can go to
> google and type in cats and babies or something like that and im sure
> you will be able to find info on the subject.
>
> http://community.webtv.net/lindo_84/LindysPictures

Shena Delian O'Brien
September 20th 04, 10:39 PM
We actually never did anything special for our 4 cats. They all were
either weirded out by the baby and didn't want to be near it, or ignored
it. Occasionally one would sniff his foot or something. He is now 5mos
old and they still just don't seem to care much.

My IL's have two dogs and the main problem is getting them to leave the
baby's toys alone. The bigger dog (medium sized) whines all the time
whenever the baby makes the littlest peep and gets very worried when
people are playing with him. I think she is just worried he's hurting or
something. The other dog is the toy stealer and is a little jealous so
she gets extra attention to compensate.

Mary W.
September 20th 04, 10:55 PM
Bóliath wrote:

> My two cats don't seem to have noticed the bump at all :c( The dog just
> knows she can't jump up on me like she used to and she has to be careful
> around the belly.
>
> Do any of you have any advice about introducing the new baby to the
> animals?

We've 2 dogs and a cat, and truthfully we didn't do anything, and
they all took the babies in stride. That said, for the dog, you
may want to work on some basic obedience stuff. And if you aren't
going to want the dog on the couch or bed, implement those rules
now. Brian Kilcommins book "Childproofing your dog" is supposed
to be good.

Mary

Kaybee
September 21st 04, 12:10 AM
I always wonder the same thing. Every time we have some kind of money saved
up something goes wrong. We have been trying to save money for a house and
low and behold we had to tap into that fund to fix the car.

Well I hope that things start looking up for you.

Kay
Eva 9/2002
little boy 1/2005

"Cathy" > wrote in message
> So far this week we have had to call out the plumber to fix a broken pipe,
> I've been told the cat badly needs dental treatment, and now the video
> player, my sanity saver giving me 1/2 an hour to cook tea, has died and
> needs replacing. We were trying to save a little for the new baby, just
in
> case there were unexpected costs, and also for Christmas. Oh well - the
> pipe had to be fixed, the cat is my daughter's favourite toy so needs to
be
> fixed, and the video saves my sanity so needs to be replaced. I wonder
what
> else will go wrong?!
>
> Cathy

Kaybee
September 21st 04, 12:16 AM
"Bóliath" > wrote in message

> My two cats don't seem to have noticed the bump at all :c( The dog just
> knows she can't jump up on me like she used to and she has to be careful
> around the belly.
>
> Do any of you have any advice about introducing the new baby to the
animals?

The best way to do this is to have your partner bring home the blanket that
the baby is wrapped in. Do this the entire time that you are in the
hospital. This way the dog will get use to the smell of the baby. Then
when you come home slowly introduce them. I advise not leaving them alone
in the same room until you are sure that the dog is totally adjusted.

> I've read that I should carry a doll around for a week or two to get
> everyone used to the idea and that Dbf should come home first with
> something the baby has worn so animals can sniff at it, then when we all
> come home from the hospital, I come in first greet them all and then Dbf
> comes in with the baby. Anything else anyone can tell me?
>
> My dog is a 15 month old Aussie Shepherd mix, recently spayed, the cats
> are a 4 yr old female and a 3 yr old son, both fixed, all animals are
> rescues from local shelters but have no behavioral problems, besides the
> puppy being a bit clingy to me.

I think that it is also a good idea to enter the house without the baby to
greet your puppy.

Good luck

Kay
Eva 9/2002
little boy 1/2005

Cathy
September 21st 04, 02:24 AM
Bóliath wrote:
> Do any of you have any advice about introducing the new baby to the
> animals?

We had 2 cats (about 6 and 4 years) when DD was born, and we didn't do
anything special. We had moved house 2 months earlier though, and the cats
had both got pretty clingy and become inside animals. My main concern was
them running away. The first day we brought DD home, they both took one
look at her and hid! We left her in the bassinet in the dining room, and
they gradually realised that to get to the sun, they had to pass her. They
slowly adjusted, but ran whenever DD yelled. Unfortunately, we lost the
older one when DD was 3 months. She was just starting to go towards DD
when the yelling started, so I was really sorry that we didn't get to see
how the relationship progressed. The other cat just stuck to sleeping in
the sun at the opposite end of the house. And now the cat and DD are great
mates (well...).

We only got the dog after the cat died, and we chose her because she seemed
so gentle with DD. She is an outside dog, until DD is in bed, and I never
leave them unsupervised. If your dog is an inside dog, and you plan to
change this, it would be a good idea to start well before the baby comes
home (a friend did it when she came home, and the dog was furious).

Cathy

newfy.1
September 21st 04, 03:01 AM
"Mary W." > wrote in message
ink.net...

> We've 2 dogs and a cat, and truthfully we didn't do anything, and
> they all took the babies in stride. That said, for the dog, you
> may want to work on some basic obedience stuff. And if you aren't
> going to want the dog on the couch or bed, implement those rules
> now. Brian Kilcommins book "Childproofing your dog" is supposed
> to be good.

We have a dog and didn't do anything special either. I think dh might have
brought home a receiving blanket to let her sniff, but I don't think it
really made a difference.

JennP.

Bóliath
September 21st 04, 06:11 PM
Jamie Clark wrote:

> It's not recommended to use baby powder on babies any more, due to the
> possibility of ingestion and breathing in the powder. Since it's not safe
> for babies or adults to breathe in,

Wow I use Johnsosn baby Powder on myself every day have done for years!

> I wouldn't use it around my pets either,
> especially a dog -- you know how they stick their nose right in something
> and sniff in real hard.
>
> If you don't plan on using baby powder on your baby, then it wouldn't work
> to use it to get the dog used to a baby smell, since your baby won't smell
> like that.

Is it just baby powder?

Jamie Clark
September 22nd 04, 01:01 AM
"Bóliath" > wrote in message
> Jamie Clark wrote:
>
>> It's not recommended to use baby powder on babies any more, due to the
>> possibility of ingestion and breathing in the powder. Since it's not
>> safe for babies or adults to breathe in,
>
> Wow I use Johnsosn baby Powder on myself every day have done for years!

Well, it's probably talcom powder that isn't recommended. I do think there
is other baby powder that isn't made with talc. And it's usually okay for
adults to use on themselves, since we know not to breath it in. The fine
talcom powder flakes get in our lungs (or our babies, or our pets) and just
clogs them up.

>> I wouldn't use it around my pets either, especially a dog -- you know how
>> they stick their nose right in something and sniff in real hard.
>>
>> If you don't plan on using baby powder on your baby, then it wouldn't
>> work to use it to get the dog used to a baby smell, since your baby won't
>> smell like that.
>
> Is it just baby powder?

I'm not sure I understand the question. Is what just baby powder?
--

Jamie & Taylor
Earth Angel, 1/3/03

Check out Taylor Marlys -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest
Password

Check out our Adoption Page at http://www.geocities.com/clarkadopt2004/

Christi :-\
September 25th 04, 04:14 AM
Well, with my experience, when you save money it's cause somehow
somewhere you are going to need it for something other than what your
saving for. Never fails!!! I hate when it happens too. It just sucks!
BUT I always say in the end.."Good thing we had the money". lol

Bóliath
September 28th 04, 08:41 PM
Shena Delian O'Brien wrote:
> We actually never did anything special for our 4 cats. They all were
> either weirded out by the baby and didn't want to be near it, or ignored
> it. Occasionally one would sniff his foot or something. He is now 5mos
> old and they still just don't seem to care much.

I can foresee similar reactions in my cats.

> My IL's have two dogs and the main problem is getting them to leave the
> baby's toys alone.

LOL I can see that too.

Bóliath
September 28th 04, 08:42 PM
Mary W. wrote:
> Bóliath wrote:
>>
>> My two cats don't seem to have noticed the bump at all :c( The dog
>> just knows she can't jump up on me like she used to and she has to be
>> careful around the belly.
>>
>> Do any of you have any advice about introducing the new baby to the
>> animals?
>
> We've 2 dogs and a cat, and truthfully we didn't do anything, and
> they all took the babies in stride. That said, for the dog, you
> may want to work on some basic obedience stuff. And if you aren't
> going to want the dog on the couch or bed, implement those rules
> now. Brian Kilcommins book "Childproofing your dog" is supposed
> to be good.

Great thanks for the rec, I'll see if the library has it.

Bóliath
September 28th 04, 08:43 PM
Cathy wrote:
> If your dog is an inside dog, and you plan to
> change this, it would be a good idea to start well before the baby comes
> home (a friend did it when she came home, and the dog was furious).

I don't plan to change it, the dog is inside, we live in Massachusetts,
you couldn't really have an outside dog her.

Thanks.

Bóliath
September 28th 04, 08:44 PM
Jamie Clark wrote:
> "Bóliath" wrote
>>Jamie Clark wrote:
>>
>>>It's not recommended to use baby powder on babies any more, due to the
>>>possibility of ingestion and breathing in the powder. Since it's not
>>>safe for babies or adults to breathe in,
>>
>>Wow I use Johnsosn baby Powder on myself every day have done for years
>
> Well, it's probably talcom powder that isn't recommended. I do think there
> is other baby powder that isn't made with talc. And it's usually okay for
> adults to use on themselves, since we know not to breath it in. The fine
> talcom powder flakes get in our lungs (or our babies, or our pets) and just
> clogs them up.

Thanks for that I had no idea!

>>>I wouldn't use it around my pets either, especially a dog -- you know how
>>>they stick their nose right in something and sniff in real hard.
>>>
>>>If you don't plan on using baby powder on your baby, then it wouldn't
>>>work to use it to get the dog used to a baby smell, since your baby won't
>>>smell like that.
>>
>>Is it just baby powder?
>
> I'm not sure I understand the question. Is what just baby powder?

That can be dangerous - you answered it before I asked it above :c)
Thanks again.

Bóliath
September 28th 04, 09:06 PM
T Flynn wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Sep 2004, Bóliath wrote
>[i]
>>Do any of you have any advice about introducing the new baby to the animals?
>
> We have a dog, a cat and two pairs of doves.

Nice, I've always wanted some birds but we have an aquarium, 2 cats and
a dog so we're full for now!

> we did open many of
> the containers so she'd get used to the manufactured baby-surround smells
> -- baby wipes, diapers, baby bath, etc. (even "fragrance free" has a
> scent.)

Great idea, thanks.