PDA

View Full Version : Carseat/booster seat question

Amber
September 16th 04, 10:27 PM
Okay...we own 2 Cosco Alpha Omega carseats. My 4 year old currently uses one
as a seat belt booster. My 2 year old is using one with the harness. When my
older ds was closing in on 4 years old, my pediatrician recommended that I wait
until age 4 to switch him to a booster. He, however, only weighed around 35
pounds at the time. So, I waited until age 4 and switched him then at around
37 pounds.

My younger ds is going to be 3 years old in December. He weighs 41 pounds. My
alpha omega instructions say that the harness should not be used after 40
pounds no matter what height. So, am I under the understanding that it is safe
to place my not even 3 year old into a seatbelt booster due to his larger size?
Or do I need a different carseat that will accomodate a higher weight in a
harness?

Any help is appreciated! :)

Amber
Mommy to Parker (12/7/99) and Spencer (12/5/01) and Baby Girl due 10/04

HollyLewis
September 17th 04, 02:20 AM
>My younger ds is going to be 3 years old in December. He weighs 41 pounds.
>My
>alpha omega instructions say that the harness should not be used after 40
>pounds no matter what height. So, am I under the understanding that it is
>safe
>to place my not even 3 year old into a seatbelt booster due to his larger
>size?
> Or do I need a different carseat that will accomodate a higher weight in a
>harness?

You are correct that it is not safe to use the harness for a child over 40 lbs.

It's legal to put your 41-pound 2-year-old in a booster (w/o harness), but it
would be a lot safer to get a Britax Marathon (which can be used up to 65 lbs)
or Husky (80 lbs). A harness is safer than no harness, of course, but for a
younger child it's even more important because he is less likely to sit with
appropriate calmness in a booster and it's less likely that the booster can be
adjusted correctly, heightwise. Both the Marathon and the Husky (which are the
only seats on the market that allow you to use a harness past 40 lbs) are
large, expensive seats, but if you can fit one in your car I'd say go for it.
After all, your child's safety is worth the bucks! We have a Husky, btw, and
really like it.

Holly
Mom to Camden, 3.5 yrs
and Laurel, 3 mos