PDA

View Full Version : Please help....leaking clear fluid hpt negative!

Stacy
September 17th 04, 05:35 PM
I have been lurking for quite some time and have found this group to
be very helpful but I have a few questions. I went off the pill on
8/10 and had my LMP on 8/13. I know that sometimes you body has to
adjust to going off the pill but I have had some weird things happen.
First on 9/5 after taking a hot shower I noticed I was leaking a small
amount of clear fluid from both nipples and the next day (not wearing
a bra) had a small wet spot on my shirt. I called the dr and they
said to take a hpt even though i wasn't due to start until 9/10. I
did and it was negative so they told me to take another one over the
weekend (which was also -) and call back. Monday morning I scheduled
an appt to have some blood work. On Wednesday I had blood work to
check my prolactin level and my thyroid and my results came back
normal. I took another hpt test today (1 week late) and it was also
-. I know that I may have irregular cycles after going off the pill
but along with the leaking I have had some other symptoms. I have
been extremely tired, greasy skin (face), small clusters of bumps
around my nipples, sore nipples (not breasts) and twinges (enough to
be noticeable) on the right side of my abdomen. Yet the tests are
negative. I don't know if this is a result of going off the pill
(although I haven't read anywhere that leaking is) or if in fact I am
pregnant and just don't have enough HCG yet. Any insight would be
appreciated! I think this group is great.

Marion
September 17th 04, 07:57 PM
Stacy wrote:
> I have been lurking for quite some time and have found this group to
> be very helpful but I have a few questions. I went off the pill on
> 8/10 and had my LMP on 8/13. I know that sometimes you body has to
> adjust to going off the pill but I have had some weird things happen.
> First on 9/5 after taking a hot shower I noticed I was leaking a small
> amount of clear fluid from both nipples and the next day (not wearing
> a bra) had a small wet spot on my shirt. I called the dr and they
> said to take a hpt even though i wasn't due to start until 9/10. I
> did and it was negative so they told me to take another one over the
> weekend (which was also -) and call back. Monday morning I scheduled
> an appt to have some blood work. On Wednesday I had blood work to
> check my prolactin level and my thyroid and my results came back
> normal. I took another hpt test today (1 week late) and it was also
> -. I know that I may have irregular cycles after going off the pill
> but along with the leaking I have had some other symptoms. I have
> been extremely tired, greasy skin (face), small clusters of bumps
> around my nipples, sore nipples (not breasts) and twinges (enough to
> be noticeable) on the right side of my abdomen. Yet the tests are
> negative. I don't know if this is a result of going off the pill
> (although I haven't read anywhere that leaking is) or if in fact I am
> pregnant and just don't have enough HCG yet. Any insight would be
> appreciated! I think this group is great.

I gather when they did blood work they didn't also check hCG then, just
prolactin and thyroid? Ask your doc for a beta-hCG test.. more
sensitive than the HPT. Some women don't test positive on HPT's until
they weeks and weeks pregnant.

Marion
Katy, due 10/4

Amy
September 18th 04, 09:24 AM
I haven't heard of leaking colostrum that early, though I guess it isn't
impossible. I was at least about 18 weeks before mine started with my first
pg, though since my second was only a year after my first I never really
stopped leaking colostrum from the first.
If you are having abdominal pain and neg HPT, I'd be wary of an ectopic,
though that's a separate issue. Of course it's common to have pain in the
side you ovulated on in early pg too.
There are other reasons than pg for leaking breasts, but it sounds as though
your Dr. has thought of this with the tests he/she did. Someone else
probably has more detailed info on those.
Good luck anyway, if pg is what you want, lots of baby dust your way :-)

"Stacy" > wrote in message
om...
> I have been lurking for quite some time and have found this group to
> be very helpful but I have a few questions. I went off the pill on
> 8/10 and had my LMP on 8/13. I know that sometimes you body has to
> adjust to going off the pill but I have had some weird things happen.
> First on 9/5 after taking a hot shower I noticed I was leaking a small
> amount of clear fluid from both nipples and the next day (not wearing
> a bra) had a small wet spot on my shirt. I called the dr and they
> said to take a hpt even though i wasn't due to start until 9/10. I
> did and it was negative so they told me to take another one over the
> weekend (which was also -) and call back. Monday morning I scheduled
> an appt to have some blood work. On Wednesday I had blood work to
> check my prolactin level and my thyroid and my results came back
> normal. I took another hpt test today (1 week late) and it was also
> -. I know that I may have irregular cycles after going off the pill
> but along with the leaking I have had some other symptoms. I have
> been extremely tired, greasy skin (face), small clusters of bumps
> around my nipples, sore nipples (not breasts) and twinges (enough to
> be noticeable) on the right side of my abdomen. Yet the tests are
> negative. I don't know if this is a result of going off the pill
> (although I haven't read anywhere that leaking is) or if in fact I am
> pregnant and just don't have enough HCG yet. Any insight would be
> appreciated! I think this group is great.

Cath
September 18th 04, 11:47 AM
Hi Stacy,

Because of the twinges on your right side, together with pregnancy
symptoms and low hCG, maybe it would be wise to ask your doctor for an
ultrasound to rule out an ectopic pregnancy...

Good luck
Cath
Mom to Fenna 07/05/03
TTC #2

Stacy > wrote:

> I have been lurking for quite some time and have found this group to
> be very helpful but I have a few questions. I went off the pill on
> 8/10 and had my LMP on 8/13. I know that sometimes you body has to
> adjust to going off the pill but I have had some weird things happen.
> First on 9/5 after taking a hot shower I noticed I was leaking a small
> amount of clear fluid from both nipples and the next day (not wearing
> a bra) had a small wet spot on my shirt. I called the dr and they
> said to take a hpt even though i wasn't due to start until 9/10. I
> did and it was negative so they told me to take another one over the
> weekend (which was also -) and call back. Monday morning I scheduled
> an appt to have some blood work. On Wednesday I had blood work to
> check my prolactin level and my thyroid and my results came back
> normal. I took another hpt test today (1 week late) and it was also
> -. I know that I may have irregular cycles after going off the pill
> but along with the leaking I have had some other symptoms. I have
> been extremely tired, greasy skin (face), small clusters of bumps
> around my nipples, sore nipples (not breasts) and twinges (enough to
> be noticeable) on the right side of my abdomen. Yet the tests are
> negative. I don't know if this is a result of going off the pill
> (although I haven't read anywhere that leaking is) or if in fact I am
> pregnant and just don't have enough HCG yet. Any insight would be
> appreciated! I think this group is great.

Elle
September 20th 04, 04:49 PM
(Stacy) wrote in message >...
> I have been lurking for quite some time and have found this group to
> be very helpful but I have a few questions. I went off the pill on
> 8/10 and had my LMP on 8/13. I know that sometimes you body has to
> adjust to going off the pill but I have had some weird things happen.
> First on 9/5 after taking a hot shower I noticed I was leaking a small
> amount of clear fluid from both nipples and the next day (not wearing
> a bra) had a small wet spot on my shirt. I called the dr and they
> said to take a hpt even though i wasn't due to start until 9/10. I
> did and it was negative so they told me to take another one over the
> weekend (which was also -) and call back. Monday morning I scheduled
> an appt to have some blood work. On Wednesday I had blood work to
> check my prolactin level and my thyroid and my results came back
> normal. I took another hpt test today (1 week late) and it was also
> -. I know that I may have irregular cycles after going off the pill
> but along with the leaking I have had some other symptoms. I have
> been extremely tired, greasy skin (face), small clusters of bumps
> around my nipples, sore nipples (not breasts) and twinges (enough to
> be noticeable) on the right side of my abdomen. Yet the tests are
> negative. I don't know if this is a result of going off the pill
> (although I haven't read anywhere that leaking is) or if in fact I am
> pregnant and just don't have enough HCG yet. Any insight would be
> appreciated! I think this group is great.

Your doctor should run a quantitative HCG to see if there is any HCG
in your blood stream to definitively rule out pregnancy. There are
other reasons to have discharge from your breasts (high prolactin
being one, cysts being another) and in fact I think it would be rare
to be leaking colustrum at 5 weeks pregnant. Also it is hard to
determine the length of your cycle when you are on the pill -- you
might not actually be a week late since your old cycle was
artificially induced. I wonder if perhaps you might have recently
ovulated, what with the twinges, sore nipples etc.

It might take you a little while to get your cycle on track after
quitting the pill; if you've been on it a long time it might be hard
to remember what your natural cycle is like!

But get that quantitative HCG, if you haven't already had one.

Elle

Stacy
September 21st 04, 09:00 PM
(Elle) wrote in message >...
> (Stacy) wrote in message >...
> > I have been lurking for quite some time and have found this group to
> > be very helpful but I have a few questions. I went off the pill on
> > 8/10 and had my LMP on 8/13. I know that sometimes you body has to
> > adjust to going off the pill but I have had some weird things happen.
> > First on 9/5 after taking a hot shower I noticed I was leaking a small
> > amount of clear fluid from both nipples and the next day (not wearing
> > a bra) had a small wet spot on my shirt. I called the dr and they
> > said to take a hpt even though i wasn't due to start until 9/10. I
> > did and it was negative so they told me to take another one over the
> > weekend (which was also -) and call back. Monday morning I scheduled
> > an appt to have some blood work. On Wednesday I had blood work to
> > check my prolactin level and my thyroid and my results came back
> > normal. I took another hpt test today (1 week late) and it was also
> > -. I know that I may have irregular cycles after going off the pill
> > but along with the leaking I have had some other symptoms. I have
> > been extremely tired, greasy skin (face), small clusters of bumps
> > around my nipples, sore nipples (not breasts) and twinges (enough to
> > be noticeable) on the right side of my abdomen. Yet the tests are
> > negative. I don't know if this is a result of going off the pill
> > (although I haven't read anywhere that leaking is) or if in fact I am
> > pregnant and just don't have enough HCG yet. Any insight would be
> > appreciated! I think this group is great.
>
> Your doctor should run a quantitative HCG to see if there is any HCG
> in your blood stream to definitively rule out pregnancy. There are
> other reasons to have discharge from your breasts (high prolactin
> being one, cysts being another) and in fact I think it would be rare
> to be leaking colustrum at 5 weeks pregnant. Also it is hard to
> determine the length of your cycle when you are on the pill -- you
> might not actually be a week late since your old cycle was
> artificially induced. I wonder if perhaps you might have recently
> ovulated, what with the twinges, sore nipples etc.
>
> It might take you a little while to get your cycle on track after
> quitting the pill; if you've been on it a long time it might be hard
> to remember what your natural cycle is like!
>
> But get that quantitative HCG, if you haven't already had one.
>
> Elle

Thanks everyone for your replies. I took another hpt today and it was
negative also. I called my doctor and he ordered a beta hcg test for
Thursday and said I should have the results the same day. I will let
you know how it goes.
Thanks again,
Stacy