PDA

View Full Version : SAHM's-- preschool activities?

Jill
September 20th 04, 05:19 PM
Just wondering for those who are stay at home moms, ie, babies are not in
daycare. What kinds of things do you put them in before actual school
starts, and how many days a week/hours a day etc?

It'll be awhile for us but my husband and I were discussing this-- we think
kids who are not in any organized, structured activites will have a much
harder time adjusting to kindergarten than a kid who's used to it and been
in a learning environment too. (Now it seems like even kindergarteners have
homework!) So we want to put R. into some structured activities or preschool
probably around age 3 or so. Is there preschool, or do you just find
daycares that are learning-centered, and what other kinds of things are
there for this?

--
---------
-Jill

Donna Metler
September 20th 04, 05:51 PM
"Jill" > wrote in message
m...
> Just wondering for those who are stay at home moms, ie, babies are not in
> daycare. What kinds of things do you put them in before actual school
> starts, and how many days a week/hours a day etc?
>
> It'll be awhile for us but my husband and I were discussing this-- we
think
> kids who are not in any organized, structured activites will have a much
> harder time adjusting to kindergarten than a kid who's used to it and been
> in a learning environment too. (Now it seems like even kindergarteners
have
> homework!) So we want to put R. into some structured activities or
preschool
> probably around age 3 or so. Is there preschool, or do you just find
> daycares that are learning-centered, and what other kinds of things are
> there for this?

I'm planning to do a kindermusik class after this one is born, both because
I'm interested in seeing what they do at them (my training begins about age
4-5, not the little ones), and because that seems like a good way to meet
other moms interested in music. My SIL has a cooperative playgroup where
moms take turns hosting groups of 5 kids or so for a few hours one day a
week-each mom gets one morning a month where they need to find activities
for the little ones (I think they're all between 2 1/2 and 3 now), and in
exchange gets a set morning each week without the little one to go shopping
or spend with other children. And the kids get to interact and get some
structure.

A lot of churches here have mothers day out programs which serve the
part-time preschool function. Some are half day and some are full-day, but
none are more than about 2 days a week.

> --
> ---------
> -Jill
> Mom to Rachel, May 9, 2004 (A Mother's Day baby!)
> See her here: http://tinyurl.com/3nsug

Nan
September 20th 04, 05:53 PM
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 16:19:32 GMT, "Jill" > scribbled:

>Just wondering for those who are stay at home moms, ie, babies are not in
>daycare. What kinds of things do you put them in before actual school
>starts, and how many days a week/hours a day etc?
>
>It'll be awhile for us but my husband and I were discussing this-- we think
>kids who are not in any organized, structured activites will have a much
>harder time adjusting to kindergarten than a kid who's used to it and been
>in a learning environment too. (Now it seems like even kindergarteners have
>homework!) So we want to put R. into some structured activities or preschool
>probably around age 3 or so. Is there preschool, or do you just find
>daycares that are learning-centered, and what other kinds of things are
>there for this?

My ds went to preschool when he was 4, and my dd1 is now in preschool.
I've also taken dd to the storytime program at the library every week
since she was 2-1/2.

We're viewing Preschool as a social experience for dd. She does well
around other children, and follows directions from others very well,
but we wanted her to be comfortable being away from us, as well.

Most areas have preschools. You can check at your library, or go
through the phone book. In this area, a large number of churches
also have preschools available. Some are faith-based (the one my dd
goes to is) and some are not. It's about your personal preferences on
that.

Nan

Tori M.
September 20th 04, 05:57 PM
"Jill" > wrote in message
m...
> Just wondering for those who are stay at home moms, ie, babies are not in
> daycare. What kinds of things do you put them in before actual school
> starts, and how many days a week/hours a day etc?
>
> It'll be awhile for us but my husband and I were discussing this-- we
think
> kids who are not in any organized, structured activites will have a much
> harder time adjusting to kindergarten than a kid who's used to it and been
> in a learning environment too. (Now it seems like even kindergarteners
have
> homework!) So we want to put R. into some structured activities or
preschool
> probably around age 3 or so. Is there preschool, or do you just find
> daycares that are learning-centered, and what other kinds of things are
> there for this?
We are planning on homeschooling Bonnie because we dont think kinds should
spend all day learning in school and then have hours of outside school work.
I have not bought it yet, but you can buy curriculums for children 2 years
and older if you desire. Jeff and I are going to get the 3 y/o curriculum
next fall. That is if I can not find a website that shows what exactly
Bonnie should know now.

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Xavier due 10/17/04

Ericka Kammerer
September 20th 04, 06:16 PM
Jill wrote:

> Just wondering for those who are stay at home moms, ie, babies are not in
> daycare. What kinds of things do you put them in before actual school
> starts, and how many days a week/hours a day etc?

We have a preschool we love. My kids start at 2 years
old with a 2 half-day a week program that's very laid back and
developmentally appropriate and work their way up to a 4 half-
day a week program at 4 years old before heading off to kindy
the next year.

> It'll be awhile for us but my husband and I were discussing this-- we think
> kids who are not in any organized, structured activites will have a much
> harder time adjusting to kindergarten than a kid who's used to it and been
> in a learning environment too. (Now it seems like even kindergarteners have
> homework!) So we want to put R. into some structured activities or preschool
> probably around age 3 or so. Is there preschool, or do you just find
> daycares that are learning-centered, and what other kinds of things are
> there for this?

Yes, there are preschools separate from daycares.
They typically run a half day program, with the number of
days depending on how old the kid is (anywhere from two
days a week to five days a week). You do want to search
them out. You do want to know when their open houses/
registration dates are (they're often in January or
February for the school year starting in September).
You do want to check accreditation. You do want to
check philosophy (personally, I think that play- or
developmentally-oriented curricula are much better
than academic curricula at those ages). You should
find safe and engaging facilities. The teachers
should be warm and friendly and welcoming and nurturing.
The staff should be available and responsive. They
should be able to talk to you about developmental
issues and goals for each age and stage. There should
be good communication with parents. Of course,
you've got a while before you get to this stage.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Tracey
September 20th 04, 06:27 PM
"Jill" > wrote in message
m...
> Just wondering for those who are stay at home moms, ie, babies are not in
> daycare. What kinds of things do you put them in before actual school
> starts, and how many days a week/hours a day etc?

Here are some non-preschool ideas that worked nicely for us:
With my DD, we put her into Gymboree from about age 15 months to about 2 1/2
yo. It was once a week for 12 weeks each session, and ran for 50 minutes I
think.
-We also put her in dance class (1 hour per week) from age 3 at our local
dance school
-Our local park & rec departments runs lots of programs for pre-schoolers.
They normally have a theme (cooking, art, playing with balls, stories,
dinosaurs, etc) and run for like 45 minutes once a week for 4 weeks. These
were a fabulous thing and my DD loved them. Perhaps your local rec
department does something similar.
-Story/activity programs at your local library. Ours were a drop-in kind of
thing, you didn't have to register, just show up for the program.

Not My Real Name
September 20th 04, 09:01 PM
"Jill" > wrote in message
m...
> Just wondering for those who are stay at home moms, ie, babies are not in
> daycare. What kinds of things do you put them in before actual school
> starts, and how many days a week/hours a day etc?

DD and I have been attending a Mommy-and-Toddler pre-ballet class (basically
fun with movement and music) once a week for the past year. We'll continue
that for the fall and maybe do a toddler gymnastics class in the winter.
Then in January, she'll go to the next level up of the pre-ballet class,
while I (and eventually the new baby) wait in the hall. She's ready for
that; she's quite well-coordinated, has done several sessions with this
teacher, and is very independent and a natural leader, so I think she'll do
very well (and it's a low-pressure sort of setting too). We've also done
storytime some, but generally it conflicts with ballet, so we usually just
go to the library on our own during the week. Sometimes we get together
with other local moms and kids, and there's a MOMS club a few minutes from
us that looks like it might be good for playgroups. But that's the extent
of what we do regularly. I'm not into a ton of structured activities and
overscheduling -- plus right now, it's enough to get in the grocery
shopping, ballet class, library, errands, midwife visits, and chiropractor
visits, and as both the midwife and chiro visits are going to increase as
the baby's arrival gets closer, that's plenty! (I don't use a sitter or
daycare for errands, so if I have to do something, DD comes along with me,
and we try to do stuff during the day in the five days when DH is at work.)

I should mention that we're planning to homeschool, so I don't really feel a
big push to put DD in a preschool-type setting, though if we were planning
to send her to kindergarten (either public, religious, or private), we
probably would. IMO, if you're used to being at home with mom and siblings
all day, suddenly being away from them all day five days a week seems like
it could be a lot. We'd probably start with two days a week at age 3 or
three days a week at age 4, a day being 3-4 hours, but I think it would
depend on what is common for our area. Friends of ours started their son in
school one morning a week at age 2 and have worked up from there, so that
he'll be used to it when he starts kindergarten next year. Mostly we just
do preschool-type activities at home so that DD is on the right track
academically, but right now that's not anything terribly formal -- the usual
stuff like books, developmentally appropriate toys, art projects, outside
play, etc. As long as she's interested, we'll continue her ballet classes,
and depending on her interest and temperament, we'll probably start piano
lessons (preferably in our home) at 3 1/2 or 4. And from there we'll see
where her interests and talents lie and decide about more music lessons (ie
more piano and/or violin) and/or more dance/gymnastics classes. If we ever
settle on a church we really like, we'll see about the weekly kids' programs
too.

--
-Sara:)
Mommy to DD, 2 1/2

Sophie
September 20th 04, 09:09 PM
"Jill" > wrote in message
m...
> Just wondering for those who are stay at home moms, ie, babies are not in
> daycare. What kinds of things do you put them in before actual school
> starts, and how many days a week/hours a day etc?

Ours all started at around 2 yrs old, 2 morning a week (3 hrs each morning).

> It'll be awhile for us but my husband and I were discussing this-- we
think
> kids who are not in any organized, structured activites will have a much
> harder time adjusting to kindergarten than a kid who's used to it and been
> in a learning environment too. (Now it seems like even kindergarteners
have
> homework!)

I have a friend who is going through this now. She had him in a 3 day a week
thing with Patrick. He cried so she pulled him out. Now he's in proper
pre-K and not dealing well.

>So we want to put R. into some structured activities or preschool
> probably around age 3 or so. Is there preschool, or do you just find
> daycares that are learning-centered, and what other kinds of things are
> there for this?

Ours is a base daycare center.

> --
> ---------
> -Jill
> Mom to Rachel, May 9, 2004 (A Mother's Day baby!)
> See her here: http://tinyurl.com/3nsug

Beach mum
September 20th 04, 09:40 PM
"Jill" > wrote
> Just wondering for those who are stay at home moms, ie, babies are not in
> daycare. What kinds of things do you put them in before actual school
> starts, and how many days a week/hours a day etc?
>
> It'll be awhile for us but my husband and I were discussing this-- we
> think
> kids who are not in any organized, structured activites will have a much
> harder time adjusting to kindergarten than a kid who's used to it and been
> in a learning environment too. (Now it seems like even kindergarteners
> have
> homework!) So we want to put R. into some structured activities or
> preschool
> probably around age 3 or so. Is there preschool, or do you just find
> daycares that are learning-centered, and what other kinds of things are
> there for this?

OK. I'll be the voice of doom. Some areas of the country (like Santa Monica
and parts of New York) are somewhat psycho about pre-school. I think I've
found one for E where she can start next September, but I'll have to
register her soon. It's one at my temple (i.e. faith based) and isn't
considered one of the elite ones. To get into an elite preschool, I would
have had to attend a toddler group (at about $35/week) for the past year and
then pay a $50 application fee. There are many elite schools in this area
and most do give people breaks on cost, but some have tuitions as high as
$12k/year. Even the non-elite schools are pretty competitive since there are
more babies ready for preschool than slots for these kids.

Before you relax, ask some moms of older kids about preschools in your area.
Most parts of the country are normal. A few are crazy and you either join
the game, find a preschool that's not really part of the game or find
something else altogether.

Personally, I'm not sure that we'd send E to preschool except that the new
baby will have been born by then and I'd like to spend some time with
him/her. as well, she's very, very verbal and I think it will be good for
her to have to be quiet and take instruction some times.
--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03

firedancer623
September 20th 04, 10:07 PM
"Jill" > wrote in message news:oqD3d.4092
> Just wondering for those who are stay at home moms, ie, babies are not in
> daycare. What kinds of things do you put them in before actual school
> starts, and how many days a week/hours a day etc?

Neither of mine went to preschool or pre-K. It was our choice. The school
does offer it for free but we declined.

Kaylie started with ballet when she was 3, then took ballet & acro when she
was 5. She is now in 4 kinds of dance including competitive as well as
Martial Arts. Noah started martial Arts when he was 4 and still takes it
once a week. He MAY be starting a Tap for boys class next week (he's still
not sure :) And he also played Soccer last spring.

> It'll be awhile for us but my husband and I were discussing this-- we
> think
> kids who are not in any organized, structured activites will have a much
> harder time adjusting to kindergarten than a kid who's used to it and been
> in a learning environment too.

YMMV but Kaylie adjusted to school better than most of her peers, who had
been in Pre-K. At least that is what her teacher told us. We heard basically
the opposite, that because she had extra time at home to mature at her own
pace, learn in her own environment, she was very must ready to be "on her
own" Noah on the other hand, had a few issues but they've seemed to resolve
and in talking with his teacher about it the other night, she said he is
doing very well and adjusting to his new schedule. They do have full day
Kindergarten here.

And as for homework, my 3rd grader has only had it once. Never had it
(unless you call reading for book it type programs once a week homework) up
until this year. She did have basic project type things due a few times a
year but they were always fun and crafy :) We live in Central/Upstate NY,
btw, and state standards are pretty high. Which is awesome of course!! :)

Kari
mom to Kaylie, Noah and Xander
New pics added!! http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/firedancer623/my_photos

Chotii
September 21st 04, 12:11 AM
"Tori M." > wrote in message

> "Jill" > wrote in message
> m...
>> Just wondering for those who are stay at home moms, ie, babies are not in
>> daycare. What kinds of things do you put them in before actual school
>> starts, and how many days a week/hours a day etc?
>>
>> It'll be awhile for us but my husband and I were discussing this-- we
> think
>> kids who are not in any organized, structured activites will have a much
>> harder time adjusting to kindergarten than a kid who's used to it and
>> been
>> in a learning environment too. (Now it seems like even kindergarteners
> have
>> homework!) So we want to put R. into some structured activities or
> preschool
>> probably around age 3 or so. Is there preschool, or do you just find
>> daycares that are learning-centered, and what other kinds of things are
>> there for this?

> We are planning on homeschooling Bonnie because we dont think kinds should
> spend all day learning in school and then have hours of outside school
> work.
> I have not bought it yet, but you can buy curriculums for children 2 years
> and older if you desire. Jeff and I are going to get the 3 y/o curriculum
> next fall. That is if I can not find a website that shows what exactly
> Bonnie should know now.

There are homeschool curriculums such as 'Before Five in a Row', very low
pressure, basically amounting to reading *good* age-appropriate books to the
child and discussing things like art style, counting things in the pictures
and so on. This is what I did with Emmaline when she was 5 and the twins
were babies and still took naps. Since then I've gotten a lot more sporadic.

But, I'm a real believer in 'better late than early'. In Washington State,
kids are not required by law to have any kind of education, home or
otherwise, until they turn 8. We don't do anything focused, organised, or
even specifically "learning centered" but somehow my kids seem to manage to
suck up information from the very air, and I have yet to hear a single
criticism from anyone about their behavior, their understanding of the
world, their vocabularies, or their social graces. So, you know, it's
entirely possible to *not* send a kid to preschool or even grade school, and
have them turn out comparable to their peers who do attend.

And somehow, I don't know if people have noticed....increasing the pressure
on young children - homework for kindergarteners and first graders - has not
improved the education of American children. Dropout rates are high,
illiteracy rates and skills in math and sciences are not improved. I don't
see the point. But I'm an awful skeptic of the system that produced me.

I'm afraid I'm not much help as far as advising on the preschool, because I
don't personally believe in it. I consider the occasional trip to the park
or McDonald's play area, occasional play dates or play with neighbors, maybe
a dance class, and allowing the children to go through the steps of social
contracts such as making a purchase or mailing a package, to be entirely
adequate as far as 'socialization' goes. Also, I don't consider that
segregating children by age is necessarily the best way to socialise them
for later life, which as we know is made up of people of all kinds of ages,
doing all kinds of self-directed things rather than focused, other-directed
activities.

--angela

Hillary Israeli
September 21st 04, 01:21 AM
In >,
Jill > wrote:

*Just wondering for those who are stay at home moms, ie, babies are not in
*daycare. What kinds of things do you put them in before actual school
*starts, and how many days a week/hours a day etc?

Gymboree - I started doing classes with my son when he was about 3 mos
old and continued until he started school when he was 2 years old. He did
an hour a week of that. My almost-2 yr old daughter does a gymnastics type
class at The Little Gym which is similar to Gymboree and is also an hour a
week.

Swimming lessons - My son did these from about 6 mos to 18 mos inclusive,
an hour a week, and since then he's done them seasonally, twice a week for
half an hour a session. My daughter does them seasonally too, usually at
the same time as he does.

Music class - an hour a week. Jacob did this consistently from about 6 mos
to 2 yrs, while my daughter did one session at about a year of age and is
starting her second session this fall.

I THINK those are the only real classes I've done with them. I also
routinely do/have done story times at our local Barnes and Noble (about 45
minutes per week) and library (about 45 minutes per week).

*It'll be awhile for us but my husband and I were discussing this-- we think
*kids who are not in any organized, structured activites will have a much
*harder time adjusting to kindergarten than a kid who's used to it and been
*in a learning environment too. (Now it seems like even kindergarteners have
*homework!) So we want to put R. into some structured activities or preschool
*probably around age 3 or so. Is there preschool, or do you just find
*daycares that are learning-centered, and what other kinds of things are
*there for this?

Oh. I see. You're counting preschool? Well, Jacob (who made the cutoff by
the skin of his teeth!) started preschool the day he turned 2 years old
two years ago. When he started it was 3 days a week, 3 hours a day. Then
when he was 3 it was 5 days a week, 3 hrs a day; now that he is 4 it is 5
days a week, 3 hrs a day Monday, 6 hrs a day Tuesday and Thursday, and 3
hrs a day Wednesday and Friday except when his add-on after school
activities are running (they run for about 3/4 of the actual school year
but not all consecutive weeks). He does Karate on Wednesdays and Professor
Bob's Science Class on Fridays :) - these add 1.75-2 hrs on to those 3
hour days.

Naomi doesn't make the cutoff, so she is going to turn two in a month and
still not be in school, which is really ****ing her off (she DRAGS her
brother into the building in the mornings, and cries when we leave). She
will start a "new 2s" preschool class in January which will meet only 2
days/week for 3 hrs.

The preschool we use, btw, is synagogue-affiliated and well-respected.
Until this year, when our local district opened its own full-day
kindergarten, it also had a state-accredited kindergarten program, but now
it is just 2s, 3s, and pre-K.

--
Hillary Israeli, VMD
Lafayette Hill/PA/USA/Earth

Leslie
September 21st 04, 01:23 AM
Jill asked:

>Just wondering for those who are stay at home moms, ie, babies are not in
>daycare. What kinds of things do you put them in before actual school
>starts, and how many days a week/hours a day etc?

Emily went to Montessori one morning a week for about one year, because I went
to Montessori and I wanted her to experience it. Jake and Teddy never went to
preschool or any kind, and I don't expect to send William to one either.

>It'll be awhile for us but my husband and I were discussing this-- we think
>kids who are not in any organized, structured activites will have a much
>harder time adjusting to kindergarten than a kid who's used to it and been
>in a learning environment too.

I really, really disagree with this. Remember that years ago most kids started
first grade without ever being away from Mommy! Granted, scool has become more
advanced and academic now, but as long as you have been providing some
stimulation at home I don't think Rachel will have a problem. Neither Jake nor
Teddy had any adjustment problems whatsoever. I had been really worried about
Teddy, because when he went to Vacation Bible School the summer before
kindergarten started, he just lay on the floor a lot of the time and refused to
participate. But as soon as kindergarten began, his rule-loving, academic side
kicked in and he was quickly Mr. Model Student! So I really see it as more of
a personality kind of thing than any experience kind of thing.

I personally think there is way too much of a push to get kids in preschool.
If moms need time away from kids, then so be it, but I don't think most kids
NEED preschool. A lot of them enjoy it, and that's fine, but personally I have
no desire to give up my time with William at home before the law demands it.

Leslie

Emily (2/4/91)
Jake (1/27/94)
Teddy (2/15/95)
William (3/5/01 -- VBA3C, 13 lbs. 5 oz.)
and Lorelei, expected 11/2/04

"Children come trailing clouds of glory from God, which is their home."
~ William Wordsworth

Joybelle
September 21st 04, 02:05 AM
"Not My Real Name" > wrote in message
> I should mention that we're planning to homeschool, so I don't really feel
> big push to put DD in a preschool-type setting, though if we were planning
> to send her to kindergarten (either public, religious, or private), we
> probably would. IMO, if you're used to being at home with mom and
siblings
> all day, suddenly being away from them all day five days a week seems like
> it could be a lot.
<snip>

I just sent my oldest to kindergarten this year, and she's never had a day
of preschool in her life. I had some concerns being that we were also
fairly unstructured, and we didn't/don't spend a lot of time out of the
home. She is absolutely thriving and enjoying every minute of kindy and
complains on the weekends that being at home is boring! I had always
planned to homeschool until last year. She saw the yellow bus dropping kids
off at the end of our driveway and determined she was going to ride it.
When she went to Vacation Bible school for three days she thought she was
going to kindergarten and loved it. So I sent her to kindergarten this
year, and I'm really glad I did. Initially, I did worry some about the long
five days and how she'd do, but it really hasn't been a problem at all.

I guess what I'm saying is I don't know if one would HAVE to send their
child to preschool to hopefully ensure no problems of adjustment. And I
also think it is one of those individual things. What works for one kid
doesn't always work for another. I think personality plays a large part in
adaptability.

--
Joy

Rose 1-30-99
Iris 2-28-01
Spencer 3-12-03

Cathy
September 21st 04, 02:11 AM
Jill wrote:
> Just wondering for those who are stay at home moms, ie, babies are
> not in daycare. What kinds of things do you put them in before actual
> school starts, and how many days a week/hours a day etc?

I did a parenting course starting when DD was 3 weeks old. After this
finished, we continued to meet once a week, and still do. Mums talk and
kids play for about 2 hours. Then when DD was about 1, I decided to enrol
her in swimming lessons. And we are still doing that, 'cos she is a real
water baby (the lessons are only 30 mins, but getting ready seems to take
forever). When she dropped her morning sleep, we started Playcentre one
morning a week - 8.45 am till noon. There is nothing structured here, but
she gets to meet other kids and parents, and use lots of equipment that we
don't have - learning through play. And she sleeps REALLY well afterwards!!
So by 18 months, we had 3 mornings a week of 'activities'. I hope we can
keep this going when no. 2 arrives, but I suspect it will be hard work.

Cathy

Ericka Kammerer
September 21st 04, 03:00 AM
Donna Metler wrote:

> A lot of churches here have mothers day out programs which serve the
> part-time preschool function. Some are half day and some are full-day, but
> none are more than about 2 days a week.

I do have to say, though, that I think 2-day programs
are the most difficult for the kids. It's just not often
enough for them to get in a groove. It's a looong stretch,
particularly if the 2-day classes are T/Th. Three day
seems to go so much more smoothly. Most 2yo programs are
2 day, at least around here, though.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Ericka Kammerer
September 21st 04, 03:09 AM
Leslie wrote:

> I personally think there is way too much of a push to get kids in preschool.
> If moms need time away from kids, then so be it, but I don't think most kids
> NEED preschool. A lot of them enjoy it, and that's fine, but personally I have
> no desire to give up my time with William at home before the law demands it.

I don't believe most kids need preschool; however,
my experience is that many (most?) kids really enjoy it if
it's a well-run, developmentally appropriate preschool and
if they're ready for it. Unlike kindy, I think a good,
developmentally appropriate preschool *doesn't* pressure
kids (though you may need to search to find such a preschool,
as some *are* more academically inclined).
Personally, my kids have had a fabulous time
with preschool, and I've always found the time useful
to either get some stuff done that's easier with a
decent chunk of time or to spend more one-on-one time
with another child.
I don't think there's anything a preschool does
that can't be covered outside of preschool; however, I
have found many instances where preschool has made a
significant difference for a kid. This seems especially
true for first-time parents. I can't count the number
of times that I've heard first-timers marvel at the
things their kids are doing in preschool because they
didn't know their kids could do those things! (I mean
simple things like pouring juice or whatever, not
learning their letters or academic stuff like that.)
It's not that they're bad parents. They just didn't
have any clue that their kids could *do* these things,
and preschool provided a learning opportunity for the
*parents* as much as the kids. Needless to say, this
is not true of all first-time parents, but I've seen
it happen often enough to think it's hardly rare.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Tori M.
September 21st 04, 03:10 AM
She saw the yellow bus dropping kids
> off at the end of our driveway and determined she was going to ride it.

The bus ride that the kids have from here is one of the biggest complaints I
have about the "local" school system. The kids have over an hours ride each
day to AND from school.. WAY too long especialy since the school is maybe
10-15 min away by car.

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Xavier due 10/17/04

Mary S.
September 21st 04, 04:29 AM
Jill wrote:
> Just wondering for those who are stay at home moms, ie, babies are not in
> daycare. What kinds of things do you put them in before actual school
> starts, and how many days a week/hours a day etc?

We just finished up a session of toddler group, which bills itself as a
parent-participation preschool program for 2s and 3s. It meets once a
week, has about 10 kids per class, and involved everyone meeting at a
different outdoor venue each week (nature preserve, formal gardens,
petting zoo, pick-your-own organic farm, local creek where frogs abound,
that sort of thing). It started with circle time, reading aloud, and
songs and games; moved on to a craft activity, then an active
learning-about-the-X adventure; then snack and free play; then goodbye
circle and songs. So for example, if that week's meeting was held at a
butterfly farm, the songs would be about butterflies, the teacher would
read a couple books like The Very Hungry Caterpillar, the kids would
make caterpillars out of glitter paint and egg carton sections and
butterflies out of tissue paper, there would be a hike to see the
cocoons and see the butterflies flying everywhere, snacktime at the
craft tables while the moms chatted and the kids ran around for a while,
and then goodbyes.

If I weren't having a baby any minute now and our living situation
weren't changing afterward, we would definitely do the next session, for
2-4 year olds (with sling siblings welcome), which is two days a week
with a learn-through-play theme every week (i.e. Monday they pick apples
and learn about how things grow at a local farm, and Wednesday at the
teacher's house they bake an apple pie and learn about harvests and
cooking and table-oriented celebrations).

Sorry, that was a long description, but hopefully that gives you an idea
of another option in the preschool-type activity realm. I really love
this program; it has a play-based attitude that I like, it focusses on
natural curiosity and "learning about life" rather than academics, and
it incorporates both structured and unstructured socialization with
other preschoolers, in an age-appropriate dose. Every child matures at
a different pace, and in my estimation, my two-year-old is not socially
ready for a drop-off program, so a parent-participation preschool is
perfect for us right now. We also go to a local playgroup once a week
(mostly with babies in the one-to-nine-month range, which is serving a
different and useful purpose right now because of the impending baby,
but ideally we'll find a playgroup with other toddlers she can run
around with this winter).

I guess my point is that there are lots of different options out there,
from drop-off preschool programs to parent-participation programs (like
ours, Gymboree, etc.) to semi-parent-participation preschools like
co-ops, to playgroups. My advice is to ask around, look at fliers on
your local library kiosk, do internet searches, and decide what kind of
programs and activities fit the bill for your baby, your goals for her,
and your own needs, at different ages.

Mary S.

Nikki
September 21st 04, 04:45 AM
Ericka Kammerer wrote:

> I do have to say, though, that I think 2-day programs
> are the most difficult for the kids. It's just not often
> enough for them to get in a groove.

When Luke want to daycare 2 days a week he had a terrible time and never got
used to it. He cried that first day no matter what. He's still like that.
That was one reason I didn't enroll him in preschool this year (at 3)
because it is a 2 day a week program. Next year when he is 4 it will be a 3
day program. Hunter was similar. He is more reserved so didn't cry as hard
but he clearly did not enjoy the 2 day weeks as much as the 3 day weeks.

--
Nikki

Joybelle
September 21st 04, 06:39 AM
"Tori M." > wrote in message

> She saw the yellow bus dropping kids
> > off at the end of our driveway and determined she was going to ride it.
>
> The bus ride that the kids have from here is one of the biggest complaints
> have about the "local" school system. The kids have over an hours ride
each
> day to AND from school.. WAY too long especialy since the school is maybe
> 10-15 min away by car.

I agree, Tori. We live three miles from her school, and she has to get on
the bus at the ungodly hour of 7am. An hour and some minutes bus ride.
I've considered driving her to school myself, but I dunno if I want to be
doing that with three little ones in the wintertime. Fortunately, when she
comes home from school the bus driver does drop her off first (she's the
first on), so that is good.

--
Joy

Rose 1-30-99
Iris 2-28-01
Spencer 3-12-03

Kelly
September 21st 04, 06:50 AM
My kiddos all enjoyed toddler classes through the parks and rec program. We
have a bunch of rec. centers around the city (so each neighborhood has one
nearby) We've done "messy art" "romp-n-roll," "tiny tappers," etc.
Sometimes they are short, so the getting ready and going takes longer than
the class, but the kids have loved them and still talk about them. Chloe
still does little dance classes and whatever else sounds fun and accomodates
my work schedule.

Good luck-
Kelly

"Jill" > wrote in message
m...
> Just wondering for those who are stay at home moms, ie, babies are not in
> daycare. What kinds of things do you put them in before actual school
> starts, and how many days a week/hours a day etc?
>
> It'll be awhile for us but my husband and I were discussing this-- we
think
> kids who are not in any organized, structured activites will have a much
> harder time adjusting to kindergarten than a kid who's used to it and been
> in a learning environment too. (Now it seems like even kindergarteners
have
> homework!) So we want to put R. into some structured activities or
preschool
> probably around age 3 or so. Is there preschool, or do you just find
> daycares that are learning-centered, and what other kinds of things are
> there for this?
>
> --
> ---------
> -Jill
> Mom to Rachel, May 9, 2004 (A Mother's Day baby!)
> See her here: http://tinyurl.com/3nsug

Leslie
September 21st 04, 01:24 PM
Ericka said:

>I don't believe most kids need preschool; however,
>my experience is that many (most?) kids really enjoy it if
>it's a well-run, developmentally appropriate preschool and
>if they're ready for it.

I don't dispute that. However, I have seen here and even more IRL many people
who think that it's a necessity, that their kids will be somehow stunted if
they don't go, and utter disbelief that we don't send our kids. That's the
attitude I am reacting against when I say I don't think it's necessary. It's
not BAD, might even be good, but it's not necessary for all kids and no one
should feel they are doing something wrong if they would prefer to keep their
kids home until the law requires that they go to school. I doubt I would even
send my kids to kindergarten if the law did not insist.

Unlike kindy, I think a good,
>developmentally appropriate preschool *doesn't* pressure
>kids (though you may need to search to find such a preschool,
>as some *are* more academically inclined).
> Personally, my kids have had a fabulous time
>with preschool, and I've always found the time useful
>to either get some stuff done that's easier with a
>decent chunk of time or to spend more one-on-one time
>with another child.

For me, it was never a big enough chunck of time. I seemed to spend so much of
the three hours driving to and fro that there was little time to do more than
take a shower and do the breakfast dishes. :-)

> I don't think there's anything a preschool does
>that can't be covered outside of preschool; however, I
>have found many instances where preschool has made a
>significant difference for a kid. This seems especially
>true for first-time parents. I can't count the number
>of times that I've heard first-timers marvel at the
>things their kids are doing in preschool because they
>didn't know their kids could do those things! (I mean
>simple things like pouring juice or whatever, not
>learning their letters or academic stuff like that.)
>It's not that they're bad parents. They just didn't
>have any clue that their kids could *do* these things,
>and preschool provided a learning opportunity for the
>*parents* as much as the kids. Needless to say, this
>is not true of all first-time parents, but I've seen
>it happen often enough to think it's hardly rare.

I could see that. That depends on the personality of the parents. As a
basically lazy person, I don't do anything for my kids that they can do for
themselves, so they have all been resourceful and independent from early ages.

Leslie

Emily (2/4/91)
Jake (1/27/94)
Teddy (2/15/95)
William (3/5/01 -- VBA3C, 13 lbs. 5 oz.)
and Lorelei, expected 11/2/04

"Children come trailing clouds of glory from God, which is their home."
~ William Wordsworth

Sophie
September 21st 04, 01:31 PM
> She saw the yellow bus dropping kids
> > off at the end of our driveway and determined she was going to ride it.

Sorry, don't know who wrote this.

Charlotte was devastated to learn base school buses are white, not yellow.

Sophie
September 21st 04, 01:32 PM
"Ericka Kammerer" > wrote in message
> Donna Metler wrote:
>
> > A lot of churches here have mothers day out programs which serve the
> > part-time preschool function. Some are half day and some are full-day,
but
> > none are more than about 2 days a week.
>
> I do have to say, though, that I think 2-day programs
> are the most difficult for the kids. It's just not often
> enough for them to get in a groove. It's a looong stretch,
> particularly if the 2-day classes are T/Th. Three day
> seems to go so much more smoothly. Most 2yo programs are
> 2 day, at least around here, though.
>
> Best wishes,
> Ericka

Ohh Tuesdays were terrible, so much crying. I think 2 days is good to begin
with but the gap between Thurs and Tues is a lot for a 2 yr old.

Ericka Kammerer
September 21st 04, 01:43 PM
Mary S. wrote:

> Sorry, that was a long description, but hopefully that gives you an idea
> of another option in the preschool-type activity realm. I really love
> this program; it has a play-based attitude that I like, it focusses on
> natural curiosity and "learning about life" rather than academics, and
> it incorporates both structured and unstructured socialization with
> other preschoolers, in an age-appropriate dose.

FWIW, that's what our preschool is like, except for
the parent participation part. (And, of course, they're
not out on a field trip every day.) Obviously, the parent
participation part is a big deal, and makes it perfect for
a kid who's not ready to be dropped off yet, but there are
definitely play-oriented preschools out there that do
exactly the sorts of things you describe. We also have
a sort of half-way solution around here, which is a
preschool co-op. There is a teacher in each classroom
and the parents take turns being the assistant teacher,
so each kid has his or her parents in the classroom for
a day every 1-2 months.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Ericka Kammerer
September 21st 04, 02:04 PM
Sophie wrote:

>> She saw the yellow bus dropping kids
>>
>>>off at the end of our driveway and determined she was going to ride it.
>

> Sorry, don't know who wrote this.
>
> Charlotte was devastated to learn base school buses are white, not yellow.

Awwwww, what a disappointment! The boys are very
into riding the bus. I'm not sure why, but they hate it
if I have to drop them off or pick them up. They didn't
even want me to take them to school the very first day!

Best wishes,
Ericka

Ericka Kammerer
September 21st 04, 02:06 PM
Sophie wrote:

> "Ericka Kammerer" > wrote in message

>>I do have to say, though, that I think 2-day programs
>>are the most difficult for the kids. It's just not often
>>enough for them to get in a groove. It's a looong stretch,
>>particularly if the 2-day classes are T/Th. Three day
>>seems to go so much more smoothly. Most 2yo programs are
>>2 day, at least around here, though.

> Ohh Tuesdays were terrible, so much crying. I think 2 days is good to begin
> with but the gap between Thurs and Tues is a lot for a 2 yr old.

Our preschool tries to make it a bit better
by having the 2-day program be Tue/Fri, but it's still
a long haul.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Ericka Kammerer
September 21st 04, 02:12 PM
Leslie wrote:

> Ericka said:
>

>>I don't believe most kids need preschool; however,
>>my experience is that many (most?) kids really enjoy it if
>>it's a well-run, developmentally appropriate preschool and
>>if they're ready for it.
>

> I don't dispute that. However, I have seen here and even more IRL many people
> who think that it's a necessity, that their kids will be somehow stunted if
> they don't go, and utter disbelief that we don't send our kids. That's the
> attitude I am reacting against when I say I don't think it's necessary. It's
> not BAD, might even be good, but it's not necessary for all kids and no one
> should feel they are doing something wrong if they would prefer to keep their
> kids home until the law requires that they go to school. I doubt I would even
> send my kids to kindergarten if the law did not insist.

Sure--I can certainly see that perspective, and I'm
sure it's very irritating to have everyone telling you you
need to send them to preschool ;-) I see both sides--people
saying preschool is essential and people saying it's a
cop-out or too much pressure to send them. I don't particularly
buy either, as I think it's an individual family sort of thing.

>> Personally, my kids have had a fabulous time
>>with preschool, and I've always found the time useful
>>to either get some stuff done that's easier with a
>>decent chunk of time or to spend more one-on-one time
>>with another child.
>
> For me, it was never a big enough chunck of time. I seemed to spend so much of
> the three hours driving to and fro that there was little time to do more than
> take a shower and do the breakfast dishes. :-)

Luckily, our preschool is only 7 minutes door-to-door
(assuming I catch both lights red ;-) The one thing I'm
really particular about is having activities close to home
because I resent having driving time eat up too much of
my (or my kids') day. Fortunately, we're blessed with
great things very close to home so I don't *need* to go
further afield.

>> I don't think there's anything a preschool does
>>that can't be covered outside of preschool; however, I
>>have found many instances where preschool has made a
>>significant difference for a kid. This seems especially
>>true for first-time parents.
>
> I could see that. That depends on the personality of the parents. As a
> basically lazy person, I don't do anything for my kids that they can do for
> themselves, so they have all been resourceful and independent from early ages.

Yeah, I'm always a little surprised at the number
of parents I see who are still buckling seven year olds
into the car or fixing (cereal!) for breakfast for eight
year olds and won't let them pour the milk, or whose
grade school kids don't do a *thing* around the house
(even picking up their own rooms). I think some of it
is "precious child syndrome" with some older parents or
parents of onlies.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Joybelle
September 21st 04, 03:42 PM
"Sophie" > wrote in message

> > She saw the yellow bus dropping kids
> > > off at the end of our driveway and determined she was going to ride
it.

> Sorry, don't know who wrote this.

That would have been me...

> Charlotte was devastated to learn base school buses are white, not yellow.

Oh, no, that would have been pretty traumatic to a little one! :)
--
Joy

Rose 1-30-99
Iris 2-28-01
Spencer 3-12-03

Sophie
September 21st 04, 07:09 PM
"Ericka Kammerer" > wrote in message
> Sophie wrote:
>
> >> She saw the yellow bus dropping kids

> > Sorry, don't know who wrote this.
> >
> > Charlotte was devastated to learn base school buses are white, not
yellow.

> Awwwww, what a disappointment! The boys are very
> into riding the bus. I'm not sure why, but they hate it
> if I have to drop them off or pick them up. They didn't
> even want me to take them to school the very first day!
>
> Best wishes,
> Ericka

Yep, ask Patrick his fave thing about school- riding the bus :)

Sophie
September 21st 04, 07:09 PM
"Joybelle" > wrote in message

> "Sophie" > wrote in message
> >
> > > She saw the yellow bus dropping kids
> it.
> >
> > Sorry, don't know who wrote this.
>
> That would have been me...

Ahh sorry about that.

> > Charlotte was devastated to learn base school buses are white, not
yellow.

> Oh, no, that would have been pretty traumatic to a little one! :)
> --
> Joy

You bet - lol.

Not My Real Name
September 21st 04, 10:23 PM
> We also have
> a sort of half-way solution around here, which is a
> preschool co-op. There is a teacher in each classroom
> and the parents take turns being the assistant teacher,
> so each kid has his or her parents in the classroom for
> a day every 1-2 months.

When I was nannying, the kids were in that kind of a preschool. It was a
small, very family-oriented preschool; many of the kids had had older
siblings attend, there was a lot of closeness between the parents, etc. The
kids' mom or dad always took off of work when it was their turn to provide
the parent helper, so I never got to fill that spot myself, but I think it's
a great idea. The teachers were also really warm and friendly, not at all
institution-like; kids who were homesick were held and cuddled and given
whatever extra attention they needed to feel comfortable, potty-training was
not required, especially for first-year three-year-olds, lots of
learning-through-play, plenty of activities available (they'd have paint and
easels available every day, plus play-doh, plus an art project of the day),
etc. If a kid wasn't into a particular sort of thing, especially things
like the art project that related to the overall theme (seasons,
transportation, occupations, etc.), the teachers would encourage
participation (because there are some kids who get interested in something
else and don't even notice the art project, etc.) but not force it. If I
was going to send my kids to a preschool, that's definitely the kind of
place I'd want to use, if the full parent-participation type wasn't
available.

--
-Sara:)
Mommy to DD, 2 1/2

Mary S.
September 21st 04, 11:22 PM
Nancy P. wrote:

> We have a SAHD, but I'll answer anyway.

I didn't know that, Nancy -- how cool!

Mary S.

Nancy P.
September 22nd 04, 01:40 AM
"Jill" > wrote in message
m...
> Just wondering for those who are stay at home moms, ie, babies are not in
> daycare. What kinds of things do you put them in before actual school
> starts, and how many days a week/hours a day etc?

We have a SAHD, but I'll answer anyway. My DD is 2.5. I actually tried to
get her into preschool for this fall, but I had waited too long and couldn't
get a spot. Not because I think she "needed" to go to school, but we have a
baby and I thought it'd give DH a break, plus the baby would get more one on
one time. Oh well. She's on the list for next fall, when she's 3.5. He
takes them to the park or fishing all the time. And there's a free activity
to do everyday. Between the local Barnes & Noble and Borders, there is a
storytime 3 times a week. The craft store has a kids craft twice a week
(but its the same craft, so you only go once). The library has toddler time
(story, video, feltboard, fingerplay) once a week. The county library has
great stuff, like sing-a-long programs on the weekends sometimes. All that
being said, we are investigating an organized activity to start immediately.
If the introductory class is good, she's going to a class with DH that's
half musical instruction, half tumbling. Just for fun, not because she
needs it. She knows colors and letters and numbers and stuff from us
teaching it at home. But since she's not in a playgroup I think it'd be
nice for her to have some consistent interaction with other kids.

Nancy

Kelly
September 22nd 04, 05:38 AM
We have a SAHD in our house, too. They come up with stuff I'd never think
of doing, but I can, and have, signed up for classes and he takes DD to
them. He's pretty good about keeping up with other parental "scoop."

Kelly
#4 2/05

"Nancy P." > wrote in message

> "Jill" > wrote in message
> m...
> > Just wondering for those who are stay at home moms, ie, babies are not
in
> > daycare. What kinds of things do you put them in before actual school
> > starts, and how many days a week/hours a day etc?
> >

> We have a SAHD, but I'll answer anyway. My DD is 2.5. I actually tried
> get her into preschool for this fall, but I had waited too long and
couldn't
> get a spot. Not because I think she "needed" to go to school, but we have
> baby and I thought it'd give DH a break, plus the baby would get more one
on
> one time. Oh well. She's on the list for next fall, when she's 3.5. He
> takes them to the park or fishing all the time. And there's a free
activity
> to do everyday. Between the local Barnes & Noble and Borders, there is a
> storytime 3 times a week. The craft store has a kids craft twice a week
> (but its the same craft, so you only go once). The library has toddler
time
> (story, video, feltboard, fingerplay) once a week. The county library has
> great stuff, like sing-a-long programs on the weekends sometimes. All
that
> being said, we are investigating an organized activity to start
immediately.
> If the introductory class is good, she's going to a class with DH that's
> half musical instruction, half tumbling. Just for fun, not because she
> needs it. She knows colors and letters and numbers and stuff from us
> teaching it at home. But since she's not in a playgroup I think it'd be
> nice for her to have some consistent interaction with other kids.
>
> Nancy

Nancy P.
September 22nd 04, 12:03 PM
"Mary S." > wrote in message
> Nancy P. wrote:
>
>> We have a SAHD, but I'll answer anyway.
>
> I didn't know that, Nancy -- how cool!
>
> Mary S.

Yeah, DH is home 3 days, and MIL is here 2 days. Its been about a month
since I went back to work, and its working great! Things are so much easier
than when we used daycare :o).

Nancy

Not My Real Name
September 22nd 04, 04:12 PM
In our parent-participation ballet class, much attention is given to dads!
It's almost always the mother (or sometimes a sitter or grandmother) who
accompany the children, but sometimes a dad will come, and it's always cause
for excitement. "Dancer Dads" are always so cute with their little
ballerina princesses. I've got to get my DH to take off work some morning
so DD can have the privilege of having the Dancer Dad. Ikwym though -- DH
and DD often go off and do stuff on Saturdays without me, and he comes up
with some great stuff. Most often it involves some sort of hiking in the
woods, which is so not my cup of tea, but the two of them love it, and DD
begs DH to take her all time.

--
-Sara:)
Mommy to DD, 2 1/2

"Kelly" > wrote in message
> We have a SAHD in our house, too. They come up with stuff I'd never think
> of doing, but I can, and have, signed up for classes and he takes DD to
> them. He's pretty good about keeping up with other parental "scoop."
>
> Kelly
> #4 2/05
>
> "Nancy P." > wrote in message
>>
>> "Jill" > wrote in message
>> m...
>> > Just wondering for those who are stay at home moms, ie, babies are not
> in
>> > daycare. What kinds of things do you put them in before actual school
>> > starts, and how many days a week/hours a day etc?
>> >

>> We have a SAHD, but I'll answer anyway. My DD is 2.5. I actually tried
>> get her into preschool for this fall, but I had waited too long and
> couldn't
>> get a spot. Not because I think she "needed" to go to school, but we
>> have
>> baby and I thought it'd give DH a break, plus the baby would get more one
> on
>> one time. Oh well. She's on the list for next fall, when she's 3.5. He
>> takes them to the park or fishing all the time. And there's a free
> activity
>> to do everyday. Between the local Barnes & Noble and Borders, there is a
>> storytime 3 times a week. The craft store has a kids craft twice a week
>> (but its the same craft, so you only go once). The library has toddler
> time
>> (story, video, feltboard, fingerplay) once a week. The county library
>> has
>> great stuff, like sing-a-long programs on the weekends sometimes. All
> that
>> being said, we are investigating an organized activity to start
> immediately.
>> If the introductory class is good, she's going to a class with DH that's
>> half musical instruction, half tumbling. Just for fun, not because she
>> needs it. She knows colors and letters and numbers and stuff from us
>> teaching it at home. But since she's not in a playgroup I think it'd be
>> nice for her to have some consistent interaction with other kids.
>>
>> Nancy

Leslie
September 22nd 04, 04:32 PM
Ericka said:

>I see both sides--people
>saying preschool is essential and people saying it's a
>cop-out or too much pressure to send them. I don't particularly
>buy either, as I think it's an individual family sort of thing.

I think it might be essential, or at least optimal, for the kids who get Head
Start--I know that studies have shown that helps them later in school. I don't
think it's necessary at all for kids with parents at home spending time with
them. And I don't think it's a BAD thing if a mother needs some time and the
kid enjoys it.

>>> Personally, my kids have had a fabulous time
>>>with preschool, and I've always found the time useful
>>>to either get some stuff done that's easier with a
>>>decent chunk of time or to spend more one-on-one time
>>>with another child.
>>
>> For me, it was never a big enough chunck of time. I seemed to spend so
>much of
>> the three hours driving to and fro that there was little time to do more
>than
>> take a shower and do the breakfast dishes. :-)
>
> Luckily, our preschool is only 7 minutes door-to-door
>(assuming I catch both lights red ;-) The one thing I'm
>really particular about is having activities close to home
>because I resent having driving time eat up too much of
>my (or my kids') day. Fortunately, we're blessed with
>great things very close to home so I don't *need* to go
>further afield.

The preschool I was driving so far to reach was a Montessori, the only one of
several in town who would accept my daughter part time. For one thing I didn't
want her away from me every day, and for another, I couldn't afford five days,
and apparently the true Montessori method is geared toward all week instead of
part-time.

>>> I don't think there's anything a preschool does
>>>that can't be covered outside of preschool; however, I
>>>have found many instances where preschool has made a
>>>significant difference for a kid. This seems especially
>>>true for first-time parents.
>>
>> I could see that. That depends on the personality of the parents. As a
>> basically lazy person, I don't do anything for my kids that they can do for
>> themselves, so they have all been resourceful and independent from early
>ages.
>
> Yeah, I'm always a little surprised at the number
>of parents I see who are still buckling seven year olds
>into the car or fixing (cereal!) for breakfast for eight
>year olds and won't let them pour the milk, or whose
>grade school kids don't do a *thing* around the house
>(even picking up their own rooms). I think some of it
>is "precious child syndrome" with some older parents or
>parents of onlies.

I think there is some of that, and I also see it with perfectionist mothers who
want things done quickly and neatly so they do it themselves. If my kids throw
dishes into the cabinets any old way (and they do) it may annoy me, but it
would annoy me a lot more to have to unload the dishwasher myself! And even
William is already capable of pouring his own drinks and getting whatever food
he can reach.

Leslie

Emily (2/4/91)
Jake (1/27/94)
Teddy (2/15/95)
William (3/5/01 -- VBA3C, 13 lbs. 5 oz.)
and Lorelei, expected 11/2/04

"Children come trailing clouds of glory from God, which is their home."
~ William Wordsworth

Tori M.
September 22nd 04, 06:26 PM
I dont let Bonnie even try to get her own drinks and such from the fridge
because the only people I know that let all their kids have free range of
the fridge have a perpetual mess goin on. She will be in the middle of
making a meal and the kids will take out stuff for sandwiches and then not
put it away.. That drives me buggy.. we have a blank no going in the fridge
rule til they are 6.

Tori
"Leslie" > wrote in message
> [...]
> >parents of onlies.
>
> I think there is some of that, and I also see it with perfectionist
mothers who
> want things done quickly and neatly so they do it themselves. If my kids
throw
> dishes into the cabinets any old way (and they do) it may annoy me, but it
> would annoy me a lot more to have to unload the dishwasher myself! And
even
> William is already capable of pouring his own drinks and getting whatever
food
> he can reach.
>

> Leslie
>
> Emily (2/4/91)
> Jake (1/27/94)
> Teddy (2/15/95)
> William (3/5/01 -- VBA3C, 13 lbs. 5 oz.)
> and Lorelei, expected 11/2/04
>
> "Children come trailing clouds of glory from God, which is their home."

Nikki
September 22nd 04, 06:44 PM
Tori M. wrote:
> I dont let Bonnie even try to get her own drinks and such from the
> fridge because the only people I know that let all their kids have
> free range of the fridge have a perpetual mess goin on. She will be
> in the middle of making a meal and the kids will take out stuff for
> sandwiches and then not put it away.. That drives me buggy.. we have
> a blank no going in the fridge rule till they are 6.

I haven't had that problem!! I never taught them not to, they have just
never done it. I did have a two week span where I had to get after them for
wanting to play in the freezer. They wanted to put their toys and stuff in
there????????? I don't know where they got that idea but we seem to have
moved past that, lol.

Our new fridge has water and ice on the outside. That has been really nice
for the kids. Luke doesn't even have to drag a step stool over anymore!

Hunter was reluctant at first and I had to do a lot of work with him (at
around 2-2.5yo) so that he would be more independent in that area. Tip:
Bonnie will only want a drink or snack after you have sat to nurse the baby,
or try to get the baby to nap. It is very helpful if she can open the
fridge door and grab a sippy cup or snack plate (from the fridge or
cupboard) by herself ;-)
--
Nikki

Mary S.
September 22nd 04, 09:07 PM
Nikki wrote:
> Tori M. wrote:
>>sandwiches and then not put it away.. That drives me buggy.. we have
>>a blank no going in the fridge rule till they are 6.
>
> I haven't had that problem!! I never taught them not to, they have just
> never done it. I did have a two week span where I had to get after them for
> wanting to play in the freezer.

You all have strong kids! Sprouts can tug with all her might at the
fridge door, but can't get it open by herself yet.

Mary S.

Leslie
September 23rd 04, 01:37 AM
Tori said:

>I dont let Bonnie even try to get her own drinks and such from the fridge
>because the only people I know that let all their kids have free range of
>the fridge have a perpetual mess goin on. She will be in the middle of
>making a meal and the kids will take out stuff for sandwiches and then not
>put it away.. That drives me buggy.. we have a blank no going in the fridge
>rule til they are 6.

Well, YMMV, but I'd rather let them do things themselves and learn to clean up
the messes than have to do everything for them. As it is, they can pretty much
take care of themselves for hours on end. When I was taking a nap this
afternoon I would have found it pretty annoying to have to get up and come
downstairs to get William a juice box out of the refrigerator when he said he
was thirsty. Wiping up a few spills here and there seems like a small price to
pay in return!

Leslie

Emily (2/4/91)
Jake (1/27/94)
Teddy (2/15/95)
William (3/5/01 -- VBA3C, 13 lbs. 5 oz.)
and Lorelei, expected 11/2/04

"Children come trailing clouds of glory from God, which is their home."
~ William Wordsworth

Leslie
September 23rd 04, 01:40 AM
Nikki said:

> did have a two week span where I had to get after them for
>wanting to play in the freezer. They wanted to put their toys and stuff in
>there????????? I don't know where they got that idea but we seem to have
>moved past that, lol.

Jake and Teddy are always putting strange things in the freeer, experiments and
the like. And they used to like to sit in the refrigerator with the door open
(it couldn't close, don't worry!) and Emily liked to play with the food. There
was no keeping any of them out of the refrigerator without a special lock once
they turned two.

>Our new fridge has water and ice on the outside. That has been really nice
>for the kids. Luke doesn't even have to drag a step stool over anymore!

Now I've always been sure if we had that that there would be water and ice on
the floor all the time because the kids would want to play with it--at least
that's what happens every time we go to a house where there is one. ;-p

Leslie

Emily (2/4/91)
Jake (1/27/94)
Teddy (2/15/95)
William (3/5/01 -- VBA3C, 13 lbs. 5 oz.)
and Lorelei, expected 11/2/04

"Children come trailing clouds of glory from God, which is their home."
~ William Wordsworth

Tori M.
September 23rd 04, 01:54 AM
"Leslie" > wrote in message
> Tori said:
>
> >I dont let Bonnie even try to get her own drinks and such from the fridge
> >because the only people I know that let all their kids have free range of
> >the fridge have a perpetual mess goin on. She will be in the middle of
> >making a meal and the kids will take out stuff for sandwiches and then
not
> >put it away.. That drives me buggy.. we have a blank no going in the
fridge
> >rule til they are 6.
>
> Well, YMMV, but I'd rather let them do things themselves and learn to
clean up
> the messes than have to do everything for them. As it is, they can pretty
much
> take care of themselves for hours on end. When I was taking a nap this
> afternoon I would have found it pretty annoying to have to get up and come
> downstairs to get William a juice box out of the refrigerator when he said
he
> was thirsty. Wiping up a few spills here and there seems like a small
price to
> pay in return!

I guess that I would rather get up and get the drink then argue with Bonnie
to clean up a mess for 1/2 an hour when I know then i will have to clean it
up in the end. Right now I am having a hard time leaning over to clean up
messes.. makes it hard for me to breath.. maybe we will get juice boxes and
teach her to get the straw in when the baby comes;)

Tori

Nikki
September 23rd 04, 03:21 AM
Leslie wrote:

> Emily liked to play with the food. There was no keeping any of them
> out of the refrigerator without a special lock once they turned two.

Mine do that with the food in the cupboard. They either pretend to cook or
they used to love to drag it all out and pretend to go shopping with it.
Very cute but a PITA sometimes :-)

>> Our new fridge has water and ice on the outside. That has been
>> really nice for the kids. Luke doesn't even have to drag a step
>> stool over anymore!
>
> Now I've always been sure if we had that that there would be water
> and ice on the floor all the time because the kids would want to play
> with it--at least that's what happens every time we go to a house
> where there is one. ;-p

Well it *was* quite a novelty. They developed a hell of a thirst for water
that is for sure, lol. They didn't make a mess though just got a lot of
drinks of water and now they think they are suffering immeasurably if they
don't have ice in there water <eye roll>.

--
Nikki

Not My Real Name
September 23rd 04, 05:01 AM
If I wanted to keep my 2 1/2 year old out of the fridge, I'd have to do a
lot of things that would make life a lot harder on all of us, or I'd have to
stick with her every single second (which, even if I didn't believe in
letting her explore freely, would be impossible to do while doing any
housework, and really impossible with a newborn). So she gets into the
fridge frequently. Occasionally she'll get something and not finish it, and
I'll pick it up and toss it out later, but it hasn't been a big deal. (That
may be just my thing; I'm not one to care about a bit of wasted food here
and there in the grand scheme of things.) She's actually very good about
putting back things like a bag of lunchmeat after she takes a slice, and
even if I'm not right there with her, I'm usually pretty aware of what she's
doing, so I can make a check of what's out every so often. Sometimes some
milk or water gets spilled, or some cereal or shredded cheese gets scattered
on the floor. I keep dish towels where she can reach them, so very often,
if she spills something, she'll try to wipe it up. And for some reason, she
loves the mop and broom, and throwing things away, so she'll often try to
sweep up spilled dry food. (Sometimes that means it gets even more
scattered, but it's the thought that counts.) Neither DH nor myself is a
huge neat freak though, so a little mess just doesn't really bother us.
Stuff like oil, which is really hard to clean up, is high out of her reach.
The worst "experiment" she has ever tried, I think, is "making eggs," which
involves getting a container from the tupperware cabinet and cracking eggs
into it. I've caught her before she's eaten it though, and I've stressed
that it's really not okay to play with uncooked eggs because they could make
her sick.

She's also very good about getting things that she knows she's allowed to
have. Once in a while I have to rescue a can of DH's soda from her before
she opens it, but mostly she grabs the milk or water. She also has a habit
of announcing when she has something she's not supposed to have, though,
which helps. Because our water pitcher can be quite heavy when it's full, I
try to keep a small pitcher filled with water; I made a big deal out of how
that's *her* water pitcher, and she *loves* that. She uses the same plates
and bowls and silverware that we do at the table, but the plastic baby bowls
and spoons that she used to use are still in a low drawer that she can
reach, as are my measuring cups, and she loves to get stuff like that for
playing scientist, I mean, pouring herself a drink or snack. Lol. I also
put stuff like crackers and cheerios on a shelf at her level, so if she
decided to find herself breakfast or a snack one day, the worst thing she'd
eat would be teddy grahams or something like that.

Otoh, everyone's tolerance level varies. I am pretty tolerant of food mess,
but I get really annoyed about her playing with my jewelry or messing with
my wallet.

--
-Sara:)
Mommy to DD, 2 1/2

"Tori M." > wrote in message
> [...]
>>
>> I think there is some of that, and I also see it with perfectionist
> mothers who
>> want things done quickly and neatly so they do it themselves. If my kids
> throw
>> dishes into the cabinets any old way (and they do) it may annoy me, but
>> it
>> would annoy me a lot more to have to unload the dishwasher myself! And
> even
>> William is already capable of pouring his own drinks and getting whatever
> food
>> he can reach.
>>

>> Leslie
>>
>> Emily (2/4/91)
>> Jake (1/27/94)
>> Teddy (2/15/95)
>> William (3/5/01 -- VBA3C, 13 lbs. 5 oz.)
>> and Lorelei, expected 11/2/04
>>
>> "Children come trailing clouds of glory from God, which is their home."

Tori M.
September 23rd 04, 05:25 AM
"Not My Real Name" > wrote in message
> If I wanted to keep my 2 1/2 year old out of the fridge, I'd have to do a
> lot of things that would make life a lot harder on all of us, or I'd have
> stick with her every single second

I guess I am lucky.. lol we have a verry small apt. I am in the same room
as her 99% of her waking time unless I am in the potty or she is in her
room.. the living room/ kitchen area is all one room.. it has differant
flooring but still the same room..

So she gets into the
> fridge frequently. Occasionally she'll get something and not finish it,
and
> I'll pick it up and toss it out later, but it hasn't been a big deal.
(That
> may be just my thing; I'm not one to care about a bit of wasted food here
> and there in the grand scheme of things.)
I am only minorly worried about wasted food.. it I give it out as part of a
meal or even a snack and she does not eat it all no big deal but when kids
take things out and it goes bad that bugs me... She is not good about
taking care of non food items still.. I want to be SURE that she understands
what i am telling her before i allow her to get into too many things.. She
is a little delayed in those areas.. (had her speach evaluted and comp.
skills are set back a bit.)

Neither DH nor myself is a
> huge neat freak though, so a little mess just doesn't really bother us.
I am not really a neat freak myself but my husband is a bit. If the
landlord comes over and there is more then 3 things on the floor she asks me
if I am feeling ok because I did not clean that day.. usualy dishes are the
worst... well other then Bonnies cloths all over the living room after I
spent the last 1/2 hour before that putting them in her room.. grrr I hate
that.
probably the luckiest thing for me at this point is I dont even think she
CAN open my fridge. She has never done it in front of me.. My neighbors
little boy who is 18 months can open his fridge and I walked up her stairs
in time to see Bonnie trying to eat the mustard out of the bottle (eew) I
cleaned up 1/2 the mess since I know Bonnie does not get into the fridge
here... also the little Boy gets into the freezer at his house.. the chest
ones and that scares me a bit..

Lol. I also
> put stuff like crackers and cheerios on a shelf at her level, so if she
> decided to find herself breakfast or a snack one day, the worst thing
she'd
> eat would be teddy grahams or something like that.
We try to keep out munchy things.. like the cherios and if I notice they are
becoming a pile on the floor they go back into the food closet. We do have
a drawer of Apples but I dont think Bonnie either knows they are there or
she can not open the drawer... Either way she is in a one bite per apple
phase right now.. that just bugs me..;)

> Otoh, everyone's tolerance level varies. I am pretty tolerant of food
mess,
> but I get really annoyed about her playing with my jewelry or messing with
> my wallet.

Yup that drives Jeff Crazy as well. I guess in general it would not bug me
if we had snack type foods that she could easily get into in the fridge..
but other then the normal juice/milk and butter and leftovers we dont have
much in there.. there is some string cheese on the fridge door and cheese
slices in the dairy bin but she is not good at seperating them yet. Most of
the time unless you look in our freezer/ cabinet you could not tell we
shopped... our fridge is the most underused item;)

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Xavier due 10/17/04

Not My Real Name
September 23rd 04, 02:15 PM
"Tori M." > wrote in message

> "Not My Real Name" > wrote in message
>> If I wanted to keep my 2 1/2 year old out of the fridge, I'd have to do a
>> lot of things that would make life a lot harder on all of us, or I'd have
>> stick with her every single second
>
> I guess I am lucky.. lol we have a verry small apt. I am in the same room
> as her 99% of her waking time unless I am in the potty or she is in her
> room.. the living room/ kitchen area is all one room.. it has differant
> flooring but still the same room..

Ah, yes, that would make a difference. I love having a house and the extra
space, but it's a split-level (with the basement being the fourth level
where the laundry is), and that is a disadvantage -- the living room, dining
room, and kitchen are the only things on their level, and unless I'm
preparing a meal, I just don't need to spend a lot of time on that level.
So DD likes to wander around and do her own thing while I'm doing laundry or
whatever. :)

> Neither DH nor myself is a
>> huge neat freak though, so a little mess just doesn't really bother us.
> I am not really a neat freak myself but my husband is a bit. If the
> landlord comes over and there is more then 3 things on the floor she asks
> me
> if I am feeling ok because I did not clean that day.. usualy dishes are
> the
> worst... well other then Bonnies cloths all over the living room after I
> spent the last 1/2 hour before that putting them in her room.. grrr I hate
> that.
> probably the luckiest thing for me at this point is I dont even think she
> CAN open my fridge. She has never done it in front of me.. My neighbors
> little boy who is 18 months can open his fridge and I walked up her stairs
> in time to see Bonnie trying to eat the mustard out of the bottle (eew)

Lol, yeah, eew! Funny what appeals to kids sometimes.

> cleaned up 1/2 the mess since I know Bonnie does not get into the fridge
> here... also the little Boy gets into the freezer at his house.. the chest
> ones and that scares me a bit..

That would scare me as well! Our chest freezer is in the basement, and
while DD can open the door and go down there, she's not a big fan of the
dark and hasn't ever gone down there without an adult present. If she ever
starts going down there without one of us, I'll put one of those covers on
the doorknob so she can't go down there without us. (I hate to do that
though, because that's where the cat's box is, and DD likes helping the cat
by opening the door so he can get to his box when he wants.)

> Yup that drives Jeff Crazy as well. I guess in general it would not bug
> me
> if we had snack type foods that she could easily get into in the fridge..
> but other then the normal juice/milk and butter and leftovers we dont have
> much in there.. there is some string cheese on the fridge door and cheese
> slices in the dairy bin but she is not good at seperating them yet. Most
> of
> the time unless you look in our freezer/ cabinet you could not tell we
> shopped... our fridge is the most underused item;)

LOL! Most of what DD gets into is either cheese or deli meat, something to
drink, or fruit. I also keep baby carrots in there because she loves to
snack on them -- and if she opens the veggie drawer and sees baby carrots,
that usually is more interesting to her than anything else.

As with everything, different strokes for different folks. :)

--
-Sara:)
Mommy to DD, 2 1/2

Leslie
September 23rd 04, 02:20 PM
Tori said:

> maybe we will get juice boxes and
>teach her to get the straw in when the baby comes;)

Betcha will! :-)

Leslie

Emily (2/4/91)
Jake (1/27/94)
Teddy (2/15/95)
William (3/5/01 -- VBA3C, 13 lbs. 5 oz.)
and Lorelei, expected 11/2/04

"Children come trailing clouds of glory from God, which is their home."
~ William Wordsworth

Leslie
September 23rd 04, 02:24 PM
Sara said:

>The worst "experiment" she has ever tried, I think, is "making eggs," which
>involves getting a container from the tupperware cabinet and cracking eggs
>into it.

At least she used a bowl.

Hands down the worst food mess I have ever had to deal with was the day when
Jake and Teddy rubbed a pound of butter all over the kitchen floor and then
topped it all off by cracking 24 eggs on it as well. That was next to
impossible to clean up.

William is more like Laura . . . he doesn't make messes on purpose and he will
often attempt to sweep or wipe things up.

I've caught her before she's eaten it though, and I've stressed
>that it's really not okay to play with uncooked eggs because they could make
>her sick.
>
>She's also very good about getting things that she knows she's allowed to
>have. Once in a while I have to rescue a can of DH's soda from her before
>she opens it, but mostly she grabs the milk or water. She also has a habit
>of announcing when she has something she's not supposed to have, though,
>which helps.

Isn't it cute when they do this? It stops when they get older, unfortunately.
:-p

Leslie

Emily (2/4/91)
Jake (1/27/94)
Teddy (2/15/95)
William (3/5/01 -- VBA3C, 13 lbs. 5 oz.)
and Lorelei, expected 11/2/04

"Children come trailing clouds of glory from God, which is their home."
~ William Wordsworth

Leslie
September 23rd 04, 02:26 PM
Nikki said:

>Mine do that with the food in the cupboard. They either pretend to cook or
>they used to love to drag it all out and pretend to go shopping with it.
>Very cute but a PITA sometimes :-)

Yep. William likes to build houses out of the cans, and then there is always
some reason why he just can't put the cans away right now.

>>> Our new fridge has water and ice on the outside. That has been
>>> really nice for the kids. Luke doesn't even have to drag a step
>>> stool over anymore!
>>
>> Now I've always been sure if we had that that there would be water
>> and ice on the floor all the time because the kids would want to play
>> with it--at least that's what happens every time we go to a house
>> where there is one. ;-p
>
>Well it *was* quite a novelty. They developed a hell of a thirst for water
>that is for sure, lol. They didn't make a mess though just got a lot of
>drinks of water and now they think they are suffering immeasurably if they
>don't have ice in there water <eye roll>.

LOL!

We have a new refrigerator that my father surprised us with when he was taking
care of our house and animals while we were out of town. It has an icemaker
and we are all in heaven. :-)

Leslie

Emily (2/4/91)
Jake (1/27/94)
Teddy (2/15/95)
William (3/5/01 -- VBA3C, 13 lbs. 5 oz.)
and Lorelei, expected 11/2/04

"Children come trailing clouds of glory from God, which is their home."
~ William Wordsworth

Not My Real Name
September 24th 04, 03:14 PM
"Leslie" > wrote in message
> Sara said:
>
>>The worst "experiment" she has ever tried, I think, is "making eggs,"
>>which
>>involves getting a container from the tupperware cabinet and cracking eggs
>>into it.
>
> At least she used a bowl.
>
> Hands down the worst food mess I have ever had to deal with was the day
> when
> Jake and Teddy rubbed a pound of butter all over the kitchen floor and
> then
> topped it all off by cracking 24 eggs on it as well. That was next to
> impossible to clean up.

Oh my goodness! WOW, I can't even imagine the mess!

> William is more like Laura . . . he doesn't make messes on purpose and he
> will
> often attempt to sweep or wipe things up.
>

> I've caught her before she's eaten it though, and I've stressed
>>that it's really not okay to play with uncooked eggs because they could
>>make
>>her sick.
>>
>>She's also very good about getting things that she knows she's allowed to
>>have. Once in a while I have to rescue a can of DH's soda from her before
>>she opens it, but mostly she grabs the milk or water. She also has a
>>habit
>>of announcing when she has something she's not supposed to have, though,
>>which helps.
>
> Isn't it cute when they do this? It stops when they get older,
> unfortunately.
> :-p

LOL! Sigh, yes, I'm sure it does. Darn. :)

--
-Sara:)
Mommy to DD, 2 1/2

Kristen
September 25th 04, 05:38 AM
Not My Real Name wrote:

> If she ever
> starts going down there without one of us, I'll put one of those covers on
> the doorknob so she can't go down there without us. (I hate to do that
> though, because that's where the cat's box is, and DD likes helping the cat
> by opening the door so he can get to his box when he wants.)

Sara-
You could try installing a cat door in your basement door, or maybe to
the side of it. In our house (also a split level), we were able to put
a cat door in the wall next to the basement door because of the way they
constructed the stairwell, so we didn't have to cut into the door itself
- my parents have one right in the door, and it works great, too. As
long as you don't have really nice hardwood doors, it doesn't usually do
much damage (financally) to put a cat door in the middle of your
basement door :).

I should warn you that your child(ren) will love to put things
*through* the door. I've had my nephews over here and we can barely pry
them away from the cat door sometimes :). My daughter is only 6 weeks
old, but I'm sure she'll be at it as soon as she's old enough! Better
than worrying about an open basement door, though!

-Kristen