PDA

View Full Version : OT/Seasons- Fall! Yay.

Jill
September 20th 04, 05:53 PM
This past week is when I start getting REALLY happy- I think I have
*reversed* seasonal depression, because as soon as the days are warm but you
can feel the "fall" in the air, I get SO happy! It's just been very sunny
and a little breezy here but yet has lost that summer humid heat feel.

I swear, October is my favorite month! The leaves turn, it gets a little
cooler....not quite there yet but yay!

I remember last October, I was 2-3 months pregnant and not showing but VERY
morning sick and tired. So I didn't get to get out much and walk etc. When
Halloween (U.S) came I remember being so sick I did not do any of the cookie
baking and pumpkin carving I wanted to. All I could eat was pure-sugar candy
such as Sweet Tarts, nothing else (as far as candy or goodies).

We took trick or treaters but didn't get as many. This year we are going to
have fun, I feel like a kid again. I am going to carve a pumpkin or two for
R. since she LOVES lights. We took her into a costume store where my husband
tried to scare her as Jason, Freddy, Grim Reaper etc, but she just laughed.
Even the most ghouly figures and decorations, she laughs. We are dressing
her as a pumpkin believe it or not, after looking at all the more elaborate
costumes, this fits her. I wanted a Winnie the Pooh but the CUTE plush Pooh
costume never has any size less than 12-18 months. The other Poohs don't
look as cute to me, the variations in stores. I also thought a cat would be
cute, but ah, she is a little pumpkin to me.

I also can't wait to decorate for Christmas, something I haven't done in
years. Didn't feel like it last year. Since again R loves lights, she will
love the Christmas tree. She is so very alert! I was holding her and
watching some videos I took of her on tv. There was one of her watching Baby
Mozart and laughing at the puppet that goes "Blah!", and when she heard it
in the back ground she was crawling all over me trying to see the tv- she
must have thought the actual video was on. She recognizes the sounds and
immediately looks for it. I actually don't want her watching much tv (I am
afraid it can't be good for little developing eyes!), but can't help it a
little bit. She sort of discovered tv on her own and likes to giggle at it.
She likes the Wiggles but not when the actual human people are on- she likes
the Pirate, Dinosaur and Dog. Loves the Baby Einstein DVDs we have tried.
Loves Scooby Doo. Does NOT like Sesame Street, even the puppets. (She yawns
and her attention wanders). Likes the Boohbahs and Teletubbies ok but again,
NOT when there are "humans" on.

This is going to be such a great fall! My fave season is fall, my favorite
holiday is New Year's Eve, my favorite weather is cool, breezy, and
crisp....and then this year all the fall/winter Holidays with R. are going
to be so fun. She is the perfect age, very alert. It wouldn't have been *as*
fun with her newly born. She has started to get really fun at 4 months old.

Oh, and no- we are not actually going to take her "trick or treating" so to
speak. We are dressing her up and taking her early to the neighbors and
friends who like to see her, but not t or t for candy. Then we are coming
home and taking Trick or Treaters at the door, so she can look at all THEIR
costumes.

Just rambling. I love fall!!

--
---------
-Jill

Leslie
September 21st 04, 01:29 AM
Jill said:

>This past week is when I start getting REALLY happy- I think I have
>*reversed* seasonal depression, because as soon as the days are warm but you
>can feel the "fall" in the air, I get SO happy! It's just been very sunny
>and a little breezy here but yet has lost that summer humid heat feel.

Oh, me too--although I feel that way in springtime as well. The heat has so
gotten to me this summer with being pregnant that I haven't been able to stand
yard work or going on walks, and this weekend I was finally able to get out and
actually enjoy pulling weeds!

>I swear, October is my favorite month! The leaves turn, it gets a little
>cooler....not quite there yet but yay!

October is my second favorite, after April. :-)

>I remember last October, I was 2-3 months pregnant and not showing but VERY
>morning sick and tired. So I didn't get to get out much and walk etc. When
>Halloween (U.S) came I remember being so sick I did not do any of the cookie
>baking and pumpkin carving I wanted to. All I could eat was pure-sugar candy
>such as Sweet Tarts, nothing else (as far as candy or goodies).
>
>We took trick or treaters but didn't get as many. This year we are going to
>have fun, I feel like a kid again. I am going to carve a pumpkin or two for
>R. since she LOVES lights.

I have to carve FOUR since every child wants their own! And they aren't
content with a normal face, either--they always have these bizarre and creative
designs they expect me to do!

We took her into a costume store where my husband
>tried to scare her as Jason, Freddy, Grim Reaper etc, but she just laughed.
>Even the most ghouly figures and decorations, she laughs. We are dressing
>her as a pumpkin believe it or not, after looking at all the more elaborate
>costumes, this fits her.

When Emily was a year old, I found a pumpkin costume at a consignment sale for
ten dollars. That is the traditional first Halloween costume for all our kids
(we don't dress them up the first year normally, although we may with Lorele
since she will be nearly one by next Halloween). William is going to be a
pirate this year.

Leslie

Emily (2/4/91)
Jake (1/27/94)
Teddy (2/15/95)
William (3/5/01 -- VBA3C, 13 lbs. 5 oz.)
and Lorelei, expected 11/2/04

"Children come trailing clouds of glory from God, which is their home."
~ William Wordsworth

Vicky Bilaniuk
September 21st 04, 04:05 AM
I hate to put up a post like this, because yours was so nice, but I hate
Fall. Fall, to me, is the sick season. It's when everyone gets sick,
and I find it depressing. Also, I don't like transition seasons, most
especially the one where everything dies off.

I like the trees, though. Also, it's nice to get cooler air.

I never got to enjoy this past summer, sadly. I'm taking Max out as
much as I can now, though, before the colder weather gets here, because
I want to enjoy what little bit is left. I wish that Fall would hold
off a bit, because of this. ;-)

Oh, one final rant about Fall... It's when everything that's fun
closes, which really ticks me off. So, no more amusement parks, no more
matinees, no more chip trucks, no more camping (you may not want to camp
overnight but at least it would be nice to be able to use the parks
during the day, but nooooooo), they drain the canals and don't even
bother to encourage skating (except for in Ottawa), they remove the
garbage cans from the bike trails, snow removal from the trail system is
patchy at best, and so on. The Ontarian attitude is that everyone
hibernates for the winter, so of course no one would want to go out and
have fun, unless they're going skiing or snowmobiling, neither of which
I do. Oh, or ice fishing, or, well, that's just about all I can think
of that's standard for winter. I went ice fishing once and it was the
most boring thing ever. Also, it freaked me out that the hut had a
*heater* in it. I think that was also the trip where I got totally
freaked out because we *drove* on the frigging lake! ...but that's
another story. ;-)

Kelly
September 21st 04, 06:53 AM
I'm with you. I love the sunny warm days and cool mornings and evenings.
The ever changing weather, too. This weekend it was off and on showers,
then today sunny and high 60's, and warmer this weekend. It's like you can
smell granny smith apples and pumpkin bread :)

Another Fall season Lover,
Kelly
#4 2/05 I will be painting the belly as a pumpkin for a photo again.

"Jill" > wrote in message
> [...]
> crisp....and then this year all the fall/winter Holidays with R. are going
> to be so fun. She is the perfect age, very alert. It wouldn't have been
*as*
> fun with her newly born. She has started to get really fun at 4 months
old.

> Oh, and no- we are not actually going to take her "trick or treating" so
> speak. We are dressing her up and taking her early to the neighbors and
> friends who like to see her, but not t or t for candy. Then we are coming
> home and taking Trick or Treaters at the door, so she can look at all
THEIR
> costumes.
>
> Just rambling. I love fall!!
>
> --
> ---------
> -Jill
> Mom to Rachel, May 9, 2004 (A Mother's Day baby!)

September 21st 04, 06:55 AM
That would be a drag to have the parks close. Here, people relish in the
fall outdoor activities. It is marathon season, cross country foot races,
cyclocross, fundraising trail run/walks for the parks, Halloween themed
events, Boolights at the Zoo............

kelly
#4 2/05

"Vicky Bilaniuk" > wrote in message
.. .
> I hate to put up a post like this, because yours was so nice, but I hate
> Fall. Fall, to me, is the sick season. It's when everyone gets sick,
> and I find it depressing. Also, I don't like transition seasons, most
> especially the one where everything dies off.
>
> I like the trees, though. Also, it's nice to get cooler air.
>
> I never got to enjoy this past summer, sadly. I'm taking Max out as
> much as I can now, though, before the colder weather gets here, because
> I want to enjoy what little bit is left. I wish that Fall would hold
> off a bit, because of this. ;-)
>
> Oh, one final rant about Fall... It's when everything that's fun
> closes, which really ticks me off. So, no more amusement parks, no more
> matinees, no more chip trucks, no more camping (you may not want to camp
> overnight but at least it would be nice to be able to use the parks
> during the day, but nooooooo), they drain the canals and don't even
> bother to encourage skating (except for in Ottawa), they remove the
> garbage cans from the bike trails, snow removal from the trail system is
> patchy at best, and so on. The Ontarian attitude is that everyone
> hibernates for the winter, so of course no one would want to go out and
> have fun, unless they're going skiing or snowmobiling, neither of which
> I do. Oh, or ice fishing, or, well, that's just about all I can think
> of that's standard for winter. I went ice fishing once and it was the
> most boring thing ever. Also, it freaked me out that the hut had a
> *heater* in it. I think that was also the trip where I got totally
> freaked out because we *drove* on the frigging lake! ...but that's
> another story. ;-)

Leslie
September 21st 04, 01:19 PM
Vicky said:

>Oh, one final rant about Fall... It's when everything that's fun
>closes, which really ticks me off.

I think where you live really influences your enjoyment (or hatred!) of Fall.
Here is East Tennessee, there is tons to do in the Fall--it's the busiest time
of year for activities! There's football, which is way big here in Knoxville
and makes things exciting even if youdon't actually go to the games; our school
has a big Fall Festival (and so do many, many other schools and churches); the
leaves are beautiful, and everyone is going up to the mountains to see them and
have cookouts and go hiking; we now have these corn maze things that are really
fun, and we always go to them with the Cub Scouts; we have our own Fall
traditions like going to this place called to Cross-Eyed Cricket to go on a
hayride and get pumpkins from the pumpkin patch, and our annual Harvest Party
where we invite about 100 people over for homemade pie and barbeque . . . plus
our weather in the Fall is beautiful, crisp but not usually cold . . .

Leslie

Emily (2/4/91)
Jake (1/27/94)
Teddy (2/15/95)
William (3/5/01 -- VBA3C, 13 lbs. 5 oz.)
and Lorelei, expected 11/2/04

"Children come trailing clouds of glory from God, which is their home."
~ William Wordsworth

Not My Real Name
September 22nd 04, 12:23 AM
"Jill" > wrote in message
m...
> This past week is when I start getting REALLY happy- I think I have
> *reversed* seasonal depression, because as soon as the days are warm but
> you
> can feel the "fall" in the air, I get SO happy! It's just been very sunny
> and a little breezy here but yet has lost that summer humid heat feel.

What a happy post! I'm glad you are enjoying fall. Normally fall is my
least favorite season -- somehow the leaves falling and impending months of
cold and hecticness of the holidays starts getting me down. I'm a spring
person -- I love the feeling of things coming back to life, shedding winter
coats, etc. But last year I was really excited about fall -- it takes a
while to get cold where we live now, DD was 18 months and really finding
interest in everything, like stomping in the leaves, she was old enough to
look forward to and be really into the holiday stuff, and we were talking in
serious terms about when to start ttc again. This year thus far I haven't
felt down about fall either, which is great. I'm glad to see the late
summer humidity calm down a bit, and things are looking promising for a
beautiful fall season. Plus with my toddler, a baby cousin, and the
soon-to-be new arrival, the holidays should be a lot of fun too. Plus the
vast majority of my maternity clothes are fall/winter ones, so it's fun to
rediscover my old favorites from my first pregnancy. Oh, and let's not
forget the little reward that's arriving to make the long days of winter
more interesting -- the BABY! Hard to imagine having a baby in February in
August when you're sweating in shorts, lol.

--
-Sara:)
Mommy to DD, 2 1/2

laurie
September 22nd 04, 01:24 AM
Hi Jill,

I know exactly what you mean about the fall. I love it too. October is my
favorite month because that's when my birthday is. ;) But, I just love the
cooler crisp air as well. I love being able to comforably wear pants and a
shirt and not be cold *or* too hot when outside. I also love the smell of the
air and the leaves. You should see the foliage around here- it's only about 30%
so far but it's going to be a great year, the colors are already quite vivid.

And yes, having a baby certainly makes every holiday more enjoyable. Sounds
like you're doing a great job as a mommy.

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 3 years
Christopher, 16.5 months

laurie
September 22nd 04, 01:27 AM
>From: "Kelly"

>'m with you. I love the sunny warm days and cool mornings and evenings.
>The ever changing weather, too. This weekend it was off and on showers,
>then today sunny and high 60's, and warmer this weekend. It's like you can
>smell granny smith apples and

>pumpkin bread :)

Just had to comment on this- yesterday morning it was *30 degrees F* when I
left the house at 6:15 am. No joke. WTF?????

Today it was a much balmier 50 degrees in the am and up to 60 at the hottest
point of the day.

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 3 years
Christopher, 16.5 months

Kelly
September 22nd 04, 05:50 AM
Sounds like here! It is foggy and cold in the morning, so all the kids are
dressed in coats and sweating by the time we pick them up in the sunny high
60's. I'll take the warm sun and cool air, though!

Kelly
#4 2/05

"laurie" > wrote in message
> >From: "Kelly"
>
> >'m with you. I love the sunny warm days and cool mornings and evenings.
> >The ever changing weather, too. This weekend it was off and on showers,
> >then today sunny and high 60's, and warmer this weekend. It's like you
can
> >smell granny smith apples and
>
> >pumpkin bread :)
> >

> Just had to comment on this- yesterday morning it was *30 degrees F* when
> left the house at 6:15 am. No joke. WTF?????
>
> Today it was a much balmier 50 degrees in the am and up to 60 at the
hottest
> point of the day.
>
> laurie
> mommy to Jessica, 3 years
> Christopher, 16.5 months

Sophie
September 22nd 04, 01:56 PM
"Vicky Bilaniuk" > wrote in message
.. .
> I hate to put up a post like this, because yours was so nice, but I hate
> Fall. Fall, to me, is the sick season. It's when everyone gets sick,
> and I find it depressing. Also, I don't like transition seasons, most
> especially the one where everything dies off.

I'm a bit with you. We all get sick cos like this week, 2 days were in the
low 70s, then today is 88 degrees. Make up your mind. You have to layer,
that gets annoying.
Plus I hate the trees are bare. It's depressing.

The one good thing is even in witner here usually the sun still shines. I
like that.

I do like the smells of fall.

And like Leslie said, we have a lot of things going on here (eastern NC) in
the fall - festivals, a farm where they do hayrides to a pumpkin patch,
etc...

I have an October birthday, which I think is a nice time of year for it.

There's good and bad.