PDA

View Full Version : Happy decision

Beach mum
September 23rd 04, 03:13 AM
I've been stressing about moving E into her own bed when I finally had a
revelation yesterday (or Monday, I can't remember). Since we hate her crib
(it's a great brand with fabulous reviews but we appear to have a lemon) we
decided we would buy a new one for the new baby. My brain storm is this
means we can have two cribs at once and we don't have to move E into a big
girl bed until she's/I'm ready. I actually think she'll be ready not long
after the baby's born, but this way there's no rush and she can remain in
her crib for as long as she wants.

Yipee. One less thing to stress about.

--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03

melbgal1
September 23rd 04, 07:44 AM
Beach mum says...

> --
> Melissa (in Los Angeles)
> Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03
> and ??? due early 3/05

Hi Melissa.
Are you an ex-pat from elsewhere ?
( just wondering about the mom/mum thing )

--
Mummy to Bébé B
Born 20.Apr.2004

Sophie
September 23rd 04, 01:32 PM
"Beach mum" > wrote in message
> I've been stressing about moving E into her own bed when I finally had a
> revelation yesterday (or Monday, I can't remember). Since we hate her crib
> (it's a great brand with fabulous reviews but we appear to have a lemon)
we
> decided we would buy a new one for the new baby. My brain storm is this
> means we can have two cribs at once and we don't have to move E into a big
> girl bed until she's/I'm ready. I actually think she'll be ready not long
> after the baby's born, but this way there's no rush and she can remain in
> her crib for as long as she wants.
>
> Yipee. One less thing to stress about.
>
> --
> Melissa (in Los Angeles)
> Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03
> and ??? due early 3/05

I'm glad you have a solution that makes you happy but I didn't find the
switch from the crib to bed stressful at all with any of my 3.

Circe
September 23rd 04, 05:13 PM
Sophie wrote:
> I'm glad you have a solution that makes you happy but I didn't find
> the switch from the crib to bed stressful at all with any of my 3.

We never moved either of the older two from their cribs before a new baby's
arrival. We just had two cribs. It wasn't so much that we thought it would
be stressful to move the older child to a bed, but at the time we would have
had to make that decision, both J and A were sleeping so well in their cribs
and really *liked* sleeping there, so it seemed like it would be more
trouble than it was worth to transition. Both J and A were in their cribs
until they were 3 or older. The only reason we moved Julian was because he
got too big for the crib.

Ironically, Vernon hasn't slept in his crib for months now. By about 6
months or so ago, he got to the point of waking himself up multiple times in
the crib because he'd roll into and get stuck in or bang himself on the
bars. He'd already been sleeping at least part of the night in the
queen-sized bed in his room (where I do my night-nursing), so I just started
putting him down at night in the bed rather than the crib. The crib is still
up, though, because I use it when I need to confine either V or A for a few
minutes due to egregious misbehavior (hitting, biting, etc.). (Aurora, at 5,
still can't climb out of the crib. Darn lucky, that!)
--
Be well, Barbara
Mom to Sin (Vernon, 2), Misery (Aurora, 5), and the Rising Son (Julian, 7)

This week's suggested Bush/Cheney campaign bumper sticker:
"Four More Wars!"

Sophie
September 23rd 04, 08:54 PM
"Circe" > wrote in message
> Sophie wrote:
> > I'm glad you have a solution that makes you happy but I didn't find
> > the switch from the crib to bed stressful at all with any of my 3.
>
> We never moved either of the older two from their cribs before a new
baby's
> arrival. We just had two cribs. It wasn't so much that we thought it would
> be stressful to move the older child to a bed, but at the time we would
have
> had to make that decision, both J and A were sleeping so well in their
cribs
> and really *liked* sleeping there, so it seemed like it would be more
> trouble than it was worth to transition. Both J and A were in their cribs
> until they were 3 or older. The only reason we moved Julian was because he
> got too big for the crib.

Lewis got moved out cos he'd hit the bars and wake himself up. Patrick
started to climb out I think so we moved him out.

> Ironically, Vernon hasn't slept in his crib for months now. By about 6
> months or so ago, he got to the point of waking himself up multiple times
in
> the crib because he'd roll into and get stuck in or bang himself on the
> bars. He'd already been sleeping at least part of the night in the
> queen-sized bed in his room (where I do my night-nursing), so I just
started
> putting him down at night in the bed rather than the crib.

That makes sense.

>The crib is still
> up, though, because I use it when I need to confine either V or A for a
few
> minutes due to egregious misbehavior (hitting, biting, etc.). (Aurora, at
5,
> still can't climb out of the crib. Darn lucky, that!)
> --
> Be well, Barbara
> Mom to Sin (Vernon, 2), Misery (Aurora, 5), and the Rising Son (Julian, 7)

Beach mum
September 23rd 04, 10:10 PM
Yes. I grew up in London, Ontarion and 'mom' just sounds wrong. I've been in
LA for 10 years and, for the most part, otherwise sound American. :-)

--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03

"melbgal1" > wrote in message
t...
> Beach mum says...
>>
>> --
>> Melissa (in Los Angeles)
>> Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03
>> and ??? due early 3/05
>

> Hi Melissa.
> Are you an ex-pat from elsewhere ?
> ( just wondering about the mom/mum thing )
>

> --
> Mummy to Bébé B
> Born 20.Apr.2004

Sarah Vaughan
September 25th 04, 09:28 PM
In message <_YG4d.312$iD6.280@trnddc05>, Beach mum
> writes
>Yes. I grew up in London, Ontarion and 'mom' just sounds wrong. I've been in
>LA for 10 years and, for the most part, otherwise sound American. :-)

Funny - I was born in the USA, to an American mother, and although I've
lived in England from as early as I can remember, I did stick with
calling her 'Mom' rather than 'Mum'. It's actually been very difficult
for me deciding whether to choose 'Mom' or 'Mum' for this baby's name
for me, because 'Mum' just doesn't sound quite right to me, while at the
same time I feel thoroughly British and so 'Mom' doesn't seem entirely
appropriate either. I think I'll go for 'Mum'. ;-)

All the best,

Sarah

--
"I'm just remembering what a perfect parent I was before I had a baby" -
Elfanie, misc.kids.pregnancy

Vicky Bilaniuk
September 26th 04, 01:54 AM
Sarah Vaughan wrote:

> In message <_YG4d.312$iD6.280@trnddc05>, Beach mum
> > writes
>
>> Yes. I grew up in London, Ontarion and 'mom' just sounds wrong. I've
>> been in
>> LA for 10 years and, for the most part, otherwise sound American. :-)
>

> Funny - I was born in the USA, to an American mother, and although I've
> lived in England from as early as I can remember, I did stick with
> calling her 'Mom' rather than 'Mum'. It's actually been very difficult
> for me deciding whether to choose 'Mom' or 'Mum' for this baby's name
> for me, because 'Mum' just doesn't sound quite right to me, while at the
> same time I feel thoroughly British and so 'Mom' doesn't seem entirely
> appropriate either. I think I'll go for 'Mum'. ;-)

How about Mama? That way, you would be different, but you would fit
right into certain cultures, including English.

DH calls his mother Mama. I thought about using that for myself, with
Max, but I call my grandmother Mama, so it just didn't feel right. I'm
plain old mommy. :-) Well, that is, until Max settles on his own name
for me.

Cathy
September 26th 04, 10:27 AM
Beach mum wrote:
> I've been stressing about moving E into her own bed when I finally
> had a revelation yesterday (or Monday, I can't remember). Since we
> hate her crib (it's a great brand with fabulous reviews but we appear
> to have a lemon) we decided we would buy a new one for the new baby.
> My brain storm is this means we can have two cribs at once and we
> don't have to move E into a big girl bed until she's/I'm ready. I
> actually think she'll be ready not long after the baby's born, but
> this way there's no rush and she can remain in her crib for as long
> as she wants.

Great idea! I suspect that is what we will end up doing too, and let DD
make up her own mind as to when she wants to move.

Cathy
DD 8 Jan 03
EDD 8 Dec 04

Sophie
September 26th 04, 02:24 PM
> How about Mama? That way, you would be different, but you would fit
> right into certain cultures, including English.
>
> DH calls his mother Mama. I thought about using that for myself, with
> Max, but I call my grandmother Mama, so it just didn't feel right. I'm
> plain old mommy. :-) Well, that is, until Max settles on his own name
> for me.

The kids still call me Mama. I think as each child got old enough to
probably change it to Mom, another baby started saying Mama so it stuck. I
hope they never call me mom.

Joybelle
September 26th 04, 04:37 PM
"Sophie" > wrote in message
> > How about Mama? That way, you would be different, but you would fit
> > right into certain cultures, including English.
> >
> > DH calls his mother Mama. I thought about using that for myself, with
> > Max, but I call my grandmother Mama, so it just didn't feel right. I'm
> > plain old mommy. :-) Well, that is, until Max settles on his own name
> > for me.
>
> The kids still call me Mama. I think as each child got old enough to
> probably change it to Mom, another baby started saying Mama so it stuck. I
> hope they never call me mom.

My three call me Mama, too, and I love it. Except the littlest is going
through a phase where he goes "Maaaaaaaaaaaama, Maaaaaaaaaama" over and
over. We call him our little crybaby calf. LOL

--
Joy

Rose 1-30-99
Iris 2-28-01