PDA

View Full Version : 26 week-BPP results

Donna Metler
September 24th 04, 12:52 AM
We had the first BPP today (at least for now, the peri wants these every 2
weeks, which at least gives me an extra excuse to get out of the house).
"Cuddles" looks great-she scored at the top of the scale on everything, and
there are no physical signs which would indicate a reoccurence of PE or
HELLP (no liver swelling, for example). It was neat having the test done
because a student sonographer from the Baptist College of Health Sciences
did it, with the regular certified technician standing there to assist (and
to recheck the student's readings on important things)-and the student
tended to verbalize EVERYTHING she was looking at and to ask a lot of
questions of the sonographer, which was also interesting to me. The
sonographer who usually has done the U/S's has been good at answering
questions, but the student asked things I wouldn't have thought about. In
addition, it was neat to see all the blood flow things and oxygen saturation
(though I have no clue how they can tell that using a sound wave).

What was interesting is that apparently they were able to monitor the baby's
heart via the ultrasound and do the NST that way, so we didn't have to do a
formal NST-and "Cuddles" got pretty active by the end of the test, although
she slept through the first 20 minutes or so.

There was one kind of scary point when the student first flipped on the
audio on the blood flow through the umbilical cord, and it sounded simply
hideous-I think it scared the student, too. Luckily, it turned out that the
last sonographer who had used the machine had turned the volume WAY up, and
we were hearing distortion on the speaker!

The best thing was that "Cuddles" is obviously breathing at this point-that
is, she has the physical lung motions, the diaphraghm is moving, etc. While
the peri cautioned me that this doesn't mean that she is in any way ready to
breathe on her own yet, it's really reassuring since the one sign we were
hoping for with Brian was that he'd show any signs of being able to breathe,
and he simply wasn't ready.

The peri thinks that everything looks great at this point. Obviously, we'd
prefer my BP to be in a normal range instead of this borderline
semi-hypertensive stuff, but I show many fewer signs of incipent PE than I
did a month ago, and I seem to be relatively stable at this point.
Unfortunately, he does concur with continuing the bedrest and activity
limitations, since it seems to be working-but feels that at this point,
unless things change, we're on target to go all the way.

Based on the test results, also, it doesn't look like "Cuddles" is getting
much if any of the phenobarbital-which is a real relief since I'm still on
it for the time being, since it seems to be controlling the symptoms which
were so scary a month ago.

Here's the current pictures-she wasn't very cooperative, so they aren't as
clear as the 24 week ones.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/dmmetler/26weeks.jpg

Donna-mother to (Angel) Brian Anthony, 1/1/2002, (22 weeks, severe PE and
HELLP) and "Cuddles" (girl), EDD 12/24/04

Leslie
September 24th 04, 01:16 AM
I'm sorry you're going to have to stay in bed, Donna, but thrilled to hear
everything else is going so well! That's great!

Leslie

Emily (2/4/91)
Jake (1/27/94)
Teddy (2/15/95)
William (3/5/01 -- VBA3C, 13 lbs. 5 oz.)
and Lorelei, expected 11/2/04

"Children come trailing clouds of glory from God, which is their home."
~ William Wordsworth

Jenrose
September 24th 04, 03:32 AM

> The best thing was that "Cuddles" is obviously breathing at this
> point-that
> is, she has the physical lung motions, the diaphraghm is moving, etc.
> While
> the peri cautioned me that this doesn't mean that she is in any way ready
> breathe on her own yet, it's really reassuring since the one sign we were
> hoping for with Brian was that he'd show any signs of being able to
> breathe,
> and he simply wasn't ready.

So glad... and at this point, every day you stay pregnant is that much more
helpful, but those breathing motions must be *so* reassuring. My mom lost a
baby at 19 weeks and almost died herself when I was 14 years old, and when I
passed "viability" with my daughter seven years later, I breathed a sigh of
relief, and again when I passed 28 weeks (where the outcomes were better),
and again when I passed 34 weeks....etc... Heck, she's 11, and I can
honestly say I don't go check to see if she's breathing at night anymore, or
at least not very often... <wry grin>

Jenrose
16 1/2 weeks

Cam & Shane
September 24th 04, 11:19 PM
I'm very happy you had a good result. It must be so reassuring. Good luck
with the bed rest. I was told to couch rest for the last few weeks of my
pregnancy and I felt that so hard. Thank goodness for the internet.

All the best
Camille and Aiden (4.5 moths)

---

September 25th 04, 05:18 AM
"Donna Metler" > wrote in message >...

> "Cuddles" looks great-she scored at the top of the scale on everything, and
> there are no physical signs which would indicate a reoccurence of PE or
> HELLP (no liver swelling, for example).

Good news! Hang in there with the bedrest; I know it's no fun.

--
C, mama to twenty-three month old nursling

Cathy
September 26th 04, 10:15 AM
Sounds like good news. Sorry to hear that continued bed rest seems to be
the way to go, but hey - if it's doing the trick...

Cathy